2017 LG OLED

realworld

Limp Gawd
http://www.lg.com/us/ces/products.jsp

2017 LG OLED Lineup:

W7P series (flagship)
Super thin TV-to-wall mounting with magnets and a badass soundbar with Dolby Atmos.

G7P
Features a removable premium soundbar.

E7P
Premium integrated (non-removable) soundbar.

C7P
Basic OLED without the gimmicks?

B7P
Basic OLED without the gimmicks?

It is said that they all have the same picture quality. The main difference will be chassis-design and audio quality.

There will be no curved OLED TV anymore. Everything is flat. 3D is completely removed as well, resulting in an overall brighter screen.

Interesting. Looking forward to a day when they make monitors with adjustable curvature. Would be great for PC video gamers who want to straighten out the monitor for movies and tv.

Also interested in the input lag measurements for all these panels. Really wish AMD would get on the ball and pressure LG to implement Freesync in these guys. It shouldn't be too complicated, right?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
How are you even supposed to handle the wallpaper TV? I'd fear bending it due to lack of structural integrity. Hell, the 2016 models are so thin that they come pre-bent. Plus where do you grab it without pinching the screen? I guess pinching the screen on an OLED isn't as big of a deal as LCD.

Yay! No more curved screens! Sorry for those that liked them but I'm glad they ditched it.

Pricing?

What a stupid statement. In 2016 LG offered 4 OLED models and one was curved. You are "glad" they get rid of options? How did offering a curved version negatively impact anyone that wanted a flat one? Which there were three.

Curved displays are perfect for PC monitors. Having the B and C models both flat and virtually identical is a moronic decision.

What a stupid statement. In 2016 LG offered 4 OLED models and one was curved. You are "glad" they get rid of options? How did offering a curved version negatively impact anyone that wanted a flat one? Which there were three.

Curved displays are perfect for PC monitors. Having the B and C models both flat and virtually identical is a moronic decision.
Eh, I thought it was the next fad (like 3D) and couldn't see it selling well enough to the masses to waste R&D time for. That said, you're 100% right about the B and C models.

Is there like any real or what matters differences between 6 and 7 series..? Was waiting for CES to show up and see if there is some huge improvements/improvements what would make me wait for 7 series instead of getting 6 series..

Why no "basic" 77" without the shitty soundbar and all the extra useless stuff? Why can't a screen just be a screen. Wish there was a home cinema type of tv, with just the basic tv stuff, no (or just token) speakers, large size and no useless "smart" software. Basically a giant pc monitor... :(
Instead, one can buy a overpriced tv where most of the functions won't be used and a integrated soundbar that will be "okay" but still no match against a half-decent speaker setup.

Last edited:
How are you even supposed to handle the wallpaper TV? I'd fear bending it due to lack of structural integrity. Hell, the 2016 models are so thin that they come pre-bent. Plus where do you grab it without pinching the screen? I guess pinching the screen on an OLED isn't as big of a deal as LCD.

They are so light they can use magnets on the latest one... You lliterally cradle the metal edge in your hands on the new ones. I was careful as fuck but it was pretty painless to mount the 55".

Good looks i can keep my b6 another year. Il upgrade when they can do 120 hz at 4k

Is there like any real or what matters differences between 6 and 7 series..? Was waiting for CES to show up and see if there is some huge improvements/improvements what would make me wait for 7 series instead of getting 6 series..

Well LG claims they brought input lag down to 21ms, which is good to hear. Otherwise the main differences is these sets are brighter, have more HDR options, and support Atmos.

Well LG claims they brought input lag down to 21ms, which is good to hear. Otherwise the main differences is these sets are brighter, have more HDR options, and support Atmos.

21ms input lag with full 4:4:4 though? Please tell me yes so I can finally pick one up for pc gaming.

I have the b6 and i never notice input lag in the games i play on pc but im not a big fps gamer. The pros of these oled tvs way out way the cons of a bit of lag as they look stunning gaming at 4k on them.

I dont think we will know how the lag breaks down in various picture modes until a reviewer gets their hands on one. But in current models, PC and "game" mode have the same lag, which is good.

The E6/C6 is only 13ms slower than that at 444. Essentially we are talking about one frame, for those with an E6/C6. I'm happy they are improving (if the numbers bear out) but I'll be content with my E6 for a while.

Source? Was it in the presentation?

I think so. So, grain of salt, etc.

LG has made several improvements in picture quality. The screens are 25% brighter and support more or less the full DCI-P3 color space. LG has also improved input lag, bringing it down to just 21 milliseconds, the company said. This will make the TVs amongst the fastest for console gaming.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1483556000

Wish they had a 42-46" to use as a monitor.
Are you telling me they don't?! I'm not clicking through all those links, but I was really expecting them to offer a smaller one this year...

Thanks! (^^,) They sayd these 65" models are available in April if i remember correctly.. darn long time to wait for those newer models.. ofcourse there is some improvements but dont know are those worth of waiting for months..

Any news on the release dates or prices yet? I'm glad they have a couple over 65" now. I'll be needing a new TV soon.

Ok, so upon getting a chance to actually open the links, I've discovered that not only have they not made a smaller (40"-49") TV, they've also stopped making curved models. I am quite disappointed indeed. Instead of increasing options, they've reduced options.

Ok, so upon getting a chance to actually open the links, I've discovered that not only have they not made a smaller (40"-49") TV, they've also stopped making curved models. I am quite disappointed indeed. Instead of increasing options, they've reduced options.

They haven't really reduced options, they've changed them. Now you can get a "wallpaper" model instead of a curved model. And now they have more larger sizes to choose from.

Curved for normal TV use IMO is just a gimmick and actually worse for viewing. It sucks for people that used curved, but curved is really only good if you're sitting super close using it as a monitor. And how many people actually do that? It's probably in the single digits.

Although I wonder if you could mod the wall paper one to be curved. It might be flexible.

Last edited:
They haven't really reduced options, they've changed them. Now you can get a "wallpaper" model instead of a curved model. And now they have more larger sizes to choose from.

Curved for normal TV use IMO is just a gimmick and actually worse for viewing. It sucks for people that used curved, but curved is really only good if you're sitting super close using it as a monitor. And how many people actually do that? It's probably in the single digits.

Although I wonder if you could mod the wall paper one to be curved. It might be flexible.
I understand that one of them is super thin, but does that really matter any more than the curve? And frankly, I think that's a much weaker marketing gimmick than the curve, if their soul interest is to rip people off of their cash. I would have preferred the curve, even for certain cases with TVs. There are lot of instances where it's a single person buying the TV, or on which only one person will ever end up watching at once anyway. All in all, I think it was a dumb move. And frankly, there's little to no justification for not including a smaller size. Beyond monitors, I've seen multiple people complain about them wanting a smaller size for TV use in fmaller rooms.

Panel, I agree. They did a step back with the 2017 lineup. I and many others would kill for a curved model in the 40 inch range.

The usual...

vcw6k3.jpg

You don't think it's possible they could firmware upgradeable to HDMI 2.1?
HDMI 2.1 features like VRR Game Mode could possibly be added via a firmware update, since that should not require additional bandwidth.
However I think 2.1 is going to require 48G ports unlike 2.0 where some TVs had 10G "HDMI 2.0" ports and some had full bandwidth 18G 2.0 ports, which was a complete mess.

No 1080p set? It's over.
They haven't made a 1080p OLED in years.

1080P? Who in the world would want that it's not 2005 anymore.
Moving from 1080p to 4K is a huge jump in GPU requirements.
I have a GTX 1070 and it drops below 60 FPS at 1080p in new games on ultra settings.
At 4K you gain resolution but all the graphics options have to be turned right down.
It's just too much for today's hardware.

Even a Titan XP doesn't get the kind of performance I would want when running at 4K.
It's not even 2x the performance of a 1070, and would need to be at least 4x if not more.
If I was paying for a Titan XP, I'd prefer to see that performance go towards higher framerates and better graphics than more resolution.
With HDMI 2.1 adding support for higher refresh rates, I'd rather have 1080p240 or 1440p120 than 4K60.

But I'd prefer that the display had a 4K or 8K native panel and used nearest neighbor scaling with 1080p and 1440p inputs, than be 1080p native.

Panel, I agree. They did a step back with the 2017 lineup. I and many others would kill for a curved model in the 40 inch range.
I'm not convinced about curved panels, but 46" would be ideal for a PC monitor.
Or a 58" 5120x2160 ultrawide.

I don't like the removal of options for people that want them though, even if I might not have bought a curved panel.
If they were making ultrawides, I think I might want a curved panel then.

For me, it's the loss of 3D that I'm disappointed with.
Passive 3D on a 4K screen is great.
I don't care for 3D movies, but I really liked 3D games.
I don't think I'm going to try and get a C6/E6 just for 3D though.

i don't think GPUs are ever going to be enough for 4K if things continue as they are. we either need a huge leap in GPU performance which is unlikely or game devs need to stop pushing graphics which is probably even more unlikely.

i don't think GPUs are ever going to be enough for 4K if things continue as they are. we either need a huge leap in GPU performance which is unlikely or game devs need to stop pushing graphics which is probably even more unlikely.

It's gonna take a while.
Until then, they will likely introduce upscaling techniques (e.g. checkerboard scaling) and rendering tricks (e.g. multi-res shading) to PC games to improve 4k performance for the masses.

Back