• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

120Hz LCD Info Thread

I did not think straight up 120hz would be supported over HDMI.

It's not, you can't connect monitors via HDMI when using 3D Vision. I'm loving these Alienware OptX AW2310 this far. I thought that going from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 would be painful, it hasn't been in the least really. I think 23" is the right size for this resolution. 27" seems nice but I think that's a bit to big for this resolution.
 
It hasn't because HDMI v1.4a hasn't been used. v1.4a was made for 3D broadcast content in mind but dunno about 120Hz for comp use. Doesn't make sense to stick a HDMI connector on a 120Hz LCD monitor if it won't sometimes at least in future run at 120Hz.
 
Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261076

HDMI v1.4a connector, perhaps 120Hz with HDMI would work if using this soon-to-be-available GTX 460? Don't reckon I've seen any gfx cards specifying having a v1.4 connector b4.

The GTX 480 (and I presume 470 and 465) support HDMI 1.4 after an upcoming paid patch from Nvidia to support 3D output to TVs over HDMI (presumably to cover licensing costs).
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_480_us.html
"Upgradeable to HDMI 1.4 support for 3D formats with upcoming NVIDIA 3DTV Play"
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-tv-play.html
 
My Acer GD245HQ and the 3d vision kit arrived yesterday:D
However when playin COD4 promod an BFBC2 my fps seems to be locked at 60fps:(
Is this the maximum FPS you get when using 3D.
Disabled vsync in the nvidia config center.
 
Last edited:
Anyone know where to purchase the 23" LG W2363D 120hz? .. It says it's available but newegg.com currently doesn't have any.
 
Couldn't find it for sale anywhere, including NewEgg, might have missed it but I didn't see any 120Hz monitors besides the Acer GD235HZ.
 
However when playin COD4 promod an BFBC2 my fps seems to be locked at 60fps:(
Is this the maximum FPS you get when using 3D.

For COD4, type this in console: /com_maxfps 0
BFBC2 has issues with multiple CPUs, google "BFBC2 low fps", but I don't see anything about it being FPS locked.
 
My Acer GD245HQ and the 3d vision kit arrived yesterday:D
However when playin COD4 promod an BFBC2 my fps seems to be locked at 60fps:(
Is this the maximum FPS you get when using 3D.
Disabled vsync in the nvidia config center.

In 3D v-synch is always enabled. 120Hz panels, two scenes per frame and thus 60 FPS. This is done to ensure 3D works properly.
 
Ya, im really curious to find out when the lg w2363d will hit the states...

The "thru-mode" is what really intrigues me. I owned the acer gd235hz for a short period of time,it was a pretty damn nice monitor, loved the 120hz but returned it after being annoyed with the subtle input lag and went back to using my dell p1130 crt.

I've been heavily adapted to crt monitors for gaming for the past 5+ years and lcd input lag is always immediately noticeable for me and not worth dealing with.

I hope this lg model will turn me over for good to lcd, cause as time keeps on movin, its becoming more and more of a hassle with windows 7/latest gpu's/drivers to get all my proper crt refresh rates without jumping through loops and hoops.

Anyone perhaps even know of a online retailer over there in the various areas its released that sell/ship overseas?
 
Hah, that's exactly what got me.. the thru-mode no input lag. Honestly from the looks of it the LG is the best on the market. The color is superior to the Samsung/Viewsonic .. The text is much clearer than the ACER.. and above all it doesn't have the input lag so it's the best choice for gamers. Somebody has to know when it will be available.. can't wait.
 
Curious about the LG w2363d too (in the US). I keep hearing 120hz makes a HUGE difference for just normal non-3D gaming even, let alone nvidia vision surround or 3d vision surround. I don't think I'm going to make the jump to a surround setup without going for 120hz (and since it's easy to go 3D from there, without 3D), myself. Kinda curious to try even just a single 120hz display first though. At the same time, I can't see giving up the colors and viewing angle/no color shift qualities of S-IPS panels, either... hmmmm.
 
Last edited:
I have been conflicted about chosing between the Acer alien LG etc largely due to how each review site works, people seem to be saying that digital versus testing is flawed, so I dunno what to do the low input lag of the LG looks good though. However dg claims worse response times on the LG so *boggle*.
 
Last edited:
I have nothing to say but good things to say about the Alienware OptXs. No lag that I can see, no tearing, VERY bright but not overwhealming. Just the issues with being a TN panel but the best TN panel I've ever owned but a LOT. A little pricey but I'm happy I spent the extra money over the Acer,which isn't bad but its not a nice, but it is $100 cheaper.
 
Damn, $500 for a 23" TN. It was too much to ask that these things sell for maybe a $50 premium. Instead they are selling for around twice as much, or more, than a compareable 23"-24" 60Hz set. Prices will come down in time I suppose. In the mean time I think I will wait.

Includes the $200 glasses set up.
 
I would be interested in it with out the glasses. Don't see what the hype is with 3d gaming / movies. All it does is give me a migraine after 10 seconds of use.
 
Don't see what the hype is with 3d gaming / movies. All it does is give me a migraine after 10 seconds of use.
Some people react to 3D differently than others. I have no problems watching it. Others, like you can get headaches and such from it.
 
I wouldn't be surprised if the technology to allow 120hz input vs 60hz input costs less than $1.
 
I would be interested in it with out the glasses. Don't see what the hype is with 3d gaming / movies. All it does is give me a migraine after 10 seconds of use.

Normally I'm really sensitive about that kind of stuff, but it ended up working out really well for me (did mess up my eyes badly the first day because I screwed up the settings). Resell the glasses and think of them as a MIR for the monitor or try em out. Good quality 3D, but the nvidia 3D movie player is buggy and I can't get it to full screen up converted 3D DVDs properly (not to mention audio going away when you full screen), hadn't tried out some of my regular video files. Anyone know of a good compatible 3D video/media player?
 
Normally I'm really sensitive about that kind of stuff, but it ended up working out really well for me (did mess up my eyes badly the first day because I screwed up the settings). Resell the glasses and think of them as a MIR for the monitor or try em out. Good quality 3D, but the nvidia 3D movie player is buggy and I can't get it to full screen up converted 3D DVDs properly (not to mention audio going away when you full screen), hadn't tried out some of my regular video files. Anyone know of a good compatible 3D video/media player?

http://www.3dtv.at/Products/Player/index_en.aspx

This should be the best one available, as far as I know. ;)
 
you*re most likely right :D
its just a very minor change to the chip/firmware after all

Perhaps but these Alienwares are a HELL of lot nicer built than your typical 23" TN panel monitor. And the capcitive controls on this thing are just fantastic. Theres much more than a $1 quality and features in these things over regular monitors.
 
Glossy screen, no thank you. Both the Alienware and Acer are matted, looks like the LG is glossy.
 
They just need to sell the Asus VG236H w/o the glasses :). But I would love to see the input lag results before I purchase.
-or-
I could buy the Asus and sell the glasses kit for $150. Any takers?
 
Last edited:
Digital versus has reviewed and calibrated all the 120hz displays, flat panels HD will be reviewing the Asus soon as well

That hothardware article is completely useless........


In a day time viewing environment the Asus will look the best thanks to the Glossy screen.
 
About the only thing a glossy screen accomplishes is to make your computer look fancy. I do not understand the obsession with shiny things.
 
Back
Top