• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

120Hz LCD Info Thread

seen pictures of the poor backlighting
users complaining about defects at nvidia 3dvision forums
and no proof for "no input lag"

There's always complaints but if you look around the satisfaction level of the Alienwares is VERY high. I've not had any issues with backlighting on any of my three and the input lag of these this is for practical purposes zero from my experience and others have come to the same conclusion.
 
I picked up the acer gd235hz today. When I fired up bad company 2 and looked around I shrieked out "OMG it is so beautiful" in a high pitch girl voice. My wife is still making fun of me.
 
Glossy screen on the Asus, hmmm. Not really into glossy and I wonder how well that would work with 3D?
 
Glossy screen on the Asus, hmmm. Not really into glossy and I wonder how well that would work with 3D?

Any glare and I mean any, and you'll feel it quick. Unless things are running well you can seriously mess yourself up for the next day. I'm getting more used to the Acer and I'm really liking it, but you really wanna make sure you have the screen set to 120hz and have every thing set right. I was in such a rush that I fubared the settings and had it running at 60hz (30hz per eye, this really makes me think it can work to some capacity on 60hz monitors) and had double vision thing where the glasses weren't synced right, nasty headache the next day. Once I got it working right no problems, plus I started screwing with the depth, I'm comfortable putting it up to about a 1/3 after half hour or higher just for effect.
 
Thanks for the response, yeah I just don't think glossy is right for 3D screens and the only reason I can figure that they went with a glossy screen is that maybe the backlighting might be a little week. The backlighting on the OptX is amazingly bright without being overwhelming at the default 50% brightness level.

Yeah the effect can work at 60Hz, that's Discover mode. I just don't get this headache and motion sickness thing. Guess I've played about 20+ plus hours with the glasses now, but no more than about an 1 hour at my longest sitting, I never play much longer than that duing a gaming session anyway, but I just haven't experienced any of that. I keep depth at the default, I don't see much of a difference past that anyway but I perceive the depth wonderfully still.

I guess I could understand why people wouldn't care much for 3D if it caused them all those problems but I just don't experience any of that.
 
The flatpanels HD. Review of the LG should be read with caution. This is the 3rd monitor review they've done where their results are far worse than lets say Prad. De or Digital Versus.

They calibrated the LG to get a 500:1 contrast, which is far lower than DV, they did the same thing with the Samsung XL2370 and Ezio EV2333. The reason being is that they turn the contrast way down during calibration, hence the poor results compared to other reveiws

Just thought I would put that out there for those who are going to be put off the LG.
 
The reason being is that they turn the contrast way down during calibration, hence the poor results compared to other reveiws

Flatpanels state a contrast value of 55 was used after calibration, which seems rather normal. No TFT looks good with a contrast anywhere near 100. For every TFT I've used, values between 50-70 have looked best for both calibration and long term use without causing headaches.
 
Are there any reasons to not run this monitor in 0 input lag mode?

But i hope asus will deliver 0 ms input lag too as it seems to have much better ergonomics with adjustable stand and it also comes with component input which would be awesome for connecting ps2.
 
I did not know that about the asus, may just be the one i get then.
 
I just got back from BB looking at an LG W2340V. This is the current 23" 60hz lcd. I thought it had a very impressive picture, and this is coming from a Sony 24" FW900 user. The fact that it had the glossy screen made it that much more appealing to me. I do most of my gaming at night so I could care less about reflections. I want the screen to come alive like my hdtvs.. which is exactly what the W2340V was doing in the store. It was so full of life!

With that said, will I be happy with the LG 2363D or not? I believe I read it has a matte screen. Does this mean it's going to be more dull that what I'm used to.. which is glossy flossy? I need a 120hz monitor with lots of "pop" and vibrancy. Because if it's going to be dull I will go ahead and pick up the W2340V.

Thanks!
 
With that said, will I be happy with the LG 2363D or not? I believe I read it has a matte screen. Does this mean it's going to be more dull that what I'm used to.. which is glossy flossy? I need a 120hz monitor with lots of "pop" and vibrancy.
I believe the Asus VG236H is the only 3D LCD with a glossy screen right now.
 
Is it needed any special graphic card to get 120Hz output? i.e. for 1920x1080, what is the older capable graphic card I need to output that res at 120Hz?
 
When 120Hz are available via graphic card and monitor, should windows run" faster" and/or smoother at this refresh rate?

And does it technically takes more resources from PC running windows at 120Hz over 60Hz?
 
When 120Hz are available via graphic card and monitor, should windows run" faster" and/or smoother at this refresh rate?

And does it technically takes more resources from PC running windows at 120Hz over 60Hz?

correct. even if your video game is under 120fps it will still feel smoother then 60hz.
 
Any news about the Asus 27 incher? I have googled and not found any information about release date or delay.
 
That looks really promising.
But i wonder how will that glare screen look when compared to A-mva panel.
 
That looks really promising.
But i wonder how will that glare screen look when compared to A-mva panel.

The glare is a result of the glossy coating, rather than panel type. Is there an AMVA 120hz panel coming out soon that anyone knows of?
 
The glare is a result of the glossy coating, rather than panel type. Is there an AMVA 120hz panel coming out soon that anyone knows of?

Nope that's the problem. There are only 120hz tns and no ips or *va on the way.

Anyway i meant that tn+glare coating might be able to produce colors close enought to better panel types for me to do not cry at loss of quality ;)
 
That ASUS would have seriously been a consideration as a new monitor for me if it didn't come with the glasses and $500 price tag. Shame they won't sell it separately.
 
That ASUS would have seriously been a consideration as a new monitor for me if it didn't come with the glasses and $500 price tag. Shame they won't sell it separately.

That article mentions a HE version that doesn't come with glasses.
 
Clearly Anandtech has heard from the manufacturer or other reliable source that such a version will be sold. Right now, the regular version is pretty much sold out anywhere, so they probably have no reason (or inventory) to stock a lower priced SKU. It will probably be sold once demand equalizes.
 
Clearly Anandtech has heard from the manufacturer or other reliable source that such a version will be sold. Right now, the regular version is pretty much sold out anywhere, so they probably have no reason (or inventory) to stock a lower priced SKU. It will probably be sold once demand equalizes.

The HE version just isn't listed on the USA site but it is on the international site. I really want this monitor but the glasses coming with it just kills it... unless someone wants to buy some cheap glasses from me :D
 
The HE version just isn't listed on the USA site but it is on the international site. I really want this monitor but the glasses coming with it just kills it... unless someone wants to buy some cheap glasses from me :D

It's just a matter of time - the samsung 2233RZ was also only available with glasses at first. I bet there's some promotional deal that monitor companies can do with nvidia that gives them X thousand glasses at a bargain price and the right to bundle them with the monitor.
 
I'm just glad a new player is reviewing these things and anandtech guys seemed very positive about 120Hz, at least their way of writing sounded like it. :p These things need more attention so we can see more & better options in the future and lower prices. :D

The HE model of the ASUS shows up on german hardware price listing sites like this one http://geizhals.at/eu/a548816.html but it's not available anywhere yet. The one with glasses included sells for ~450 EUR so this thing would most likely cost around 310 ~ 330 EUR without glasses which should correspond to around $350 in US as advertised.
 
Last edited:
The glasses sell for 160 - 200 usd new, which sounds in-line with projected HE pricing (cheaper than buying separately).
 
I'm just glad a new player is reviewing these things and anandtech guys seemed very positive about 120Hz, at least their way of writing sounded like it. :p These things need more attention so we can see more & better options in the future and lower prices. :D

When a lot people hear that 120Hz are all TN panels its a turn off. For fast frame rate gaming however, 120Hz kicks the shit of 60Hz screens and I think that its easier to read text for longer periods of time.

For me 120Hz is the MUST have feature now, I don't do graphics work so color accuracy isn't that important to me. I'd be very hard pressed to notice color accuracy and gamut issues, view angles are noticable however but not within normal viewing position.

The refresh rate while gaming however is like a Mac truck, you can't help but notice just how much smoother things are, especially with games that you can lock v-sync in at 120FPS, just soooooo smooth. Like malt liquor smooth. No wait, malt liquor sucks, but you get the idea. Evem in desktop I find it quite noticeable.
 
I will wait for 120Hz to make its way into IPS. That's basically my next upgrade. Three 24" IPS at 16:10 1920x1200 resolution, 120Hz, and sRGB. I predict it will be available by June 2011. :)
 
When a lot people hear that 120Hz are all TN panels its a turn off. For fast frame rate gaming however, 120Hz kicks the shit of 60Hz screens and I think that its easier to read text for longer periods of time.

For me 120Hz is the MUST have feature now, I don't do graphics work so color accuracy isn't that important to me. I'd be very hard pressed to notice color accuracy and gamut issues, view angles are noticable however but not within normal viewing position.

The refresh rate while gaming however is like a Mac truck, you can't help but notice just how much smoother things are, especially with games that you can lock v-sync in at 120FPS, just soooooo smooth. Like malt liquor smooth. No wait, malt liquor sucks, but you get the idea. Evem in desktop I find it quite noticeable.

Would you say that the jump from 60 to 120 fps is equivalent to going from 30 to 60 fps? As soon as Asus releases the stand alone VG236H, I'm so buying!

Ah, so text is easier on your eyes, too? That's awesome news, as I can't stare at text on my current 60Hz display for too long, as it bothers my eyes after awhile.

I will wait for 120Hz to make its way into IPS. That's basically my next upgrade. Three 24" IPS at 16:10 1920x1200 resolution, 120Hz, and sRGB. I predict it will be available by June 2011. :)

Why not own a 120Hz monitor just for gaming and an IPS monitor for everything else ;) That's what I plan on doing, heehee. :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top