Zalman VF-700Cu

lol amadeus, I hope she knows you're posting pics of her. But damn that's some mirror finish.

Daaaayam! That is a mirror. Very nice. And I'm sure amadeus00's wife doesn't care. :p HI MRS. amadeus00!!!! lol :D

Yeah...very tempted to get the 700. The stock 7800GTX cooler tends to cycle "whine" where in winds up a bit then goes down and its down right annoying.

Just got mine installed on my 6800GT running a lot cooler and quieter than with the stock cooler. Running 48c idle and 76c or so load. Here are some pics

The ram cooling eVGA used on the card is really weird. There are those white pad things that you see in the 2nd picture but when I pulled it off nothing was on the ram. As you can see in the third pic the ram is already pretty clean and that is before I cleaned it. I had a hard time getting the stock cooler off but the zalman went on pretty easy.

Edit: Oh yeah and if anyone asks what that blue and green stuff on near the core is, I hae no idea. I couldn't get it off so it must not be hurting anything.

Nice line-up there Viper. That load temp seems a little high though. You got fresh air coming into the case over the card? If not that may help. And did it improve your o/c's any?

Mister E said:
Nice line-up there Viper. That load temp seems a little high though. You got fresh air coming into the case over the card? If not that may help. And did it improve your o/c's any?
Yeah there is some fresh air coming over the card but is kind of blocked by my hard drive. And there isn't really anywhere I can put it in my case that wouldn't block the air. The load temp is still better than what I was getting. I might try re-applying as5 and see if I can get the temps down a little. As far as overclocks go I am still messing around with those. I had the card @ stock with the stock cooler but I plan to take the card to 6800U levels now.

Edit: @ 400/1100 I get 80c load temps. I think when I get the time I am going to re-apply as5 and maybe try moving my hard drive around and see if that helps any.

And you are running the fan at 12v right? If not that may help chew down your 80°C load temp. Good luck re-seating that baby. And I recommend the BB or grain of rice size dap in the middle technique-o!! :D

don't take this the wrong way amadeus but your wife is very pretty. Bears striking resemblance to Scarlett Johansson.

....and a long and awkward pause later....

Ahhemm....and yeah also very nice job on the zalman.

Hmm well I'm prolly going to re-seat the card sometime this weekend so I have a few questions. Does it matter if your the alchohal u use to clean off the core is only like 70% isyprol? Cause people always reccomend like 99% but I don't think 70% would hurt anything. When I cleaned off the stock paste I just used a paper towel so I don't think the core was super clean to begin with before I put as5 on. Also, I am considering moving my hard drive so that it isn't blocking the fan near my video card. Do hdd's really need a fan blowing on them to keep them running? Oh, and I do have the fan running @ 12v.

Hard drives do not need direct ventilation. But you always need some sort of airflow so that temps wont soar. So yeah move that baby so your card can breathe. Also that 70% ISO will work fine to clean your core. Just dont splash it all over. :p

Mister E said:
Hard drives do not need direct ventilation. But you always need some sort of airflow so that temps wont soar. So yeah move that baby so your card can breathe. Also that 70% ISO will work fine to clean your core. Just dont splash it all over. :p
K, I will make sure to dump the whole bottle on the card ;) I will post new temps when I re-seat.

v1p3r-386- said:
K, I will make sure to dump the whole bottle on the card ;) I will post new temps when I re-seat.

all_coholic.gif
<---don't do that either. lol

lol, also make sure that the heatsink is held secruely against the core. I know that I had to re-seat the cooler´s cross bar to get it to make proper contact.

Wow, I picked up this heatsink/fan today because my BFG GeForce 6800 GT was giving me some overheating problems when I played WOW.... and boy did it make a difference!!

My load temperatures are actually LOWER than my previous idleing temperatures!!! I used to idle at about 65C and go up to over 85C under load. Now I idle at around 47C and under load it hasn't cracked 64C.

And the amazing thing is that these new temps are based on my card overclocked, and the old temps were underclocked!!! It's amazing!

Awesome Gimpy! :cool: Glad you're happy with it. I too was amazed at the effectiveness of this cooler.

Post pict's if you can!!! :D

Well, I got around to re-seating it tonight. Used the method of as5 application that MisterE reccomended and my temps are way better. Getting about 42-43c idle and 59c on load. That is at stock speeds mind you. I will post my temps @ ultra speeds when I have time to test them.

Edit: @ 400/1100 I get 61c load.

cambrian said:
don't take this the wrong way amadeus but your wife is very pretty. Bears striking resemblance to Scarlett Johansson.

....and a long and awkward pause later....

Ahhemm....and yeah also very nice job on the zalman.

LOL, thank for the compliment. She gets that A LOT!
w8542062.jpg
scarlett-johansson.jpg

One of them is my wife :D

.....ummmm what were we talking about?

Oh yeah.....Zalmans VF-700Cu. Here is an update. After the mirror finish lapping, the temps did drop 1 degree. Still getting about 78 load / 51idle. What are you guys running to get the test the rig? I am using 3d05 setting it on 10x repeat on Game Test 1 at 1280x1024x32 4AA 8AF. If I run HF2 or Doom3, I don't nearly get as hot. Maybe 73-74 load.

amadeus00 said:
w8542062.jpg
scarlett-johansson.jpg

Oh yeah.....Zalmans VF-700Cu. Here is an update. After the mirror finish lapping, the temps did drop 1 degree. Still getting about 78 load / 51idle. What are you guys running to get the test the rig? I am using 3d05 setting it on 10x repeat on Game Test 1 at 1280x1024x32 4AA 8AF. If I run HF2 or Doom3, I don't nearly get as hot. Maybe 73-74 load.
To test I use
RTHDRIBL
Run it in a window and you can look at your temps while running it. amadeus00 did you apply as5 by putting a drop in the middle and putting the fan on and twisting. Because that dropped my temps from 76c load to like 59c @ stock speeds.

v1p3r-386- said:
To test I use
RTHDRIBL
Run it in a window and you can look at your temps while running it. amadeus00 did you apply as5 by putting a drop in the middle and putting the fan on and twisting. Because that dropped my temps from 76c load to like 59c @ stock speeds.

Neat little program. Running it right now and it's pegged my temps at 78. I am running it at 425/1100 though.

Yes, I did use the grain of rice (about 1/3 grain) technique. A full grain yielded too much excess. The old thin layer technique does NOT work that well as it traps little air bubbles.

amadeus00 said:
w8542062.jpg
scarlett-johansson.jpg

Talk about a nice thread to wake up to on a Monda morning.

yeah she's pretty...butI finally got my zalman and here are the results, (evga 6800gt)

stock
idle ~60
load `80-90

NV silencer 5 r2
idle ~52-55
load ` 60-65

zalman
idle ~45-46
load ~ 55-56

that is what I'm talming about, right now it is comfortable in my house no AC and to have an idle temp of 45c...I am happy. I can only get the autodetect to detedt my card at 405 care and 1.10 vram. I know I can go alot higher on the core as with the silencer I went to 420 not issues but is there a reason to Overclock? there really aint no games out there that tax the 6800gt at stock. either way I am very happy with the zalman.

Hehe your wife is WAY prettier than that chick from the ISLAND :p

Anyways, who has tried the vf700 in x800XT ? I just ordered my vf700-cu to install on a 6800nu but now Im thinking about buying x800XT cause of all these good prices.

Nice results Fist. You should be able to push as high as the voltage of your core will let you go, then down a bit for stability. These coolers really do solve most, if not all, heat issues when used properly.

Juice - My x800xt-pe has never been happier. If you buy that x800xt I recommend this cooler 100%.

I just got one yesterday and my xfx that could only run @ 390/1080 max can now run @ 425/1120 and is stable 24/7!

Idle 53C
Load 60C

Good deal Freeman. Glad it's improved your o/c ability. :cool:

Lookin' forward to it Tiny. :D

Got mine installed finally after having it sit there for about a week. Took some pics and here they are. Suprisingly my idle temp is way lower then it was with the NV6. My idle is now 36-38 and with the nv6 it was hovering in 40-43. very strange indeed. running the same oc and everything. I've got it set in the 12v plug and my case fans are louder than the vf700cu.

here are pics.
vf700-1.jpg

vf700-2.jpg

vf700-3.jpg

Just to add

I grabbed one of these fellas and slapped it on my Gainward 7800GTX

Used to idle around 52-54

Idles now around 39-41

Used to be around 80-85 under load

Now is 60-65 under load

Thats at 500/1350

Also, on my mobo (DFI SLI DR) you could have two 7800GTXs with these Zalman coolers on them, there is enough room, easily. Just a little FYI.

So its a very cool customer indeed.

I finally got mine installed on my eVGA 6600GT 128mb PCI-e.

zalman2vr.jpg

zalman38bh.jpg

There is still a lot of room under those fins...so I am thinking of cutting some of these ram sinks down just a bit to fit under the Zalman copper fins.
zalman48da.jpg

Ok, I asked this question in another thread and got zero replies. I'll tryi it in here.

I was bit concerned why my overclocked 6800GT (425/1100) was getting temps like 78C/51C load and 61C/40C idle. I have a Zalman VF-700Cu mirror polished and applied with AS5. I know these aren't bad temps but they are not great either. I usually monitor my temps with RivaTuner and SpeedFan at the same time but yesterday, I forgot to load RivaTuner and SpeedFan picked up two additional temperature reading. Doing a little research, I found out these were MAX6648 readings. It means these are temperatures from the Nvidia board. It has been reported that these reading are 10C lower on the core temperature because Nvidia puts an additional 10C as a safety factor. It made me wonder what program are you guys reporting temps under? SpeedFan or RivaTuner?

amadeus00 said:
Ok, I asked this question in another thread and got zero replies. I'll tryi it in here.

I was bit concerned why my overclocked 6800GT (425/1100) was getting temps like 78C/51C load and 61C/40C idle. I have a Zalman VF-700Cu mirror polished and applied with AS5. I know these aren't bad temps but they are not great either. I usually monitor my temps with RivaTuner and SpeedFan at the same time but yesterday, I forgot to load RivaTuner and SpeedFan picked up two additional temperature reading. Doing a little research, I found out these were MAX6648 readings. It means these are temperatures from the Nvidia board. It has been reported that these reading are 10C lower on the core temperature because Nvidia puts an additional 10C as a safety factor. It made me wonder what program are you guys reporting temps under? SpeedFan or RivaTuner?
Hmm, I just go into the nvidia control panel thing to look at temps.

I can't tell 100% from the angle of the pictures, but does the Zalman extend past the edge of the card? My computer has a bracket holding the opposite side from the PCIe connector and if it goes past that then it will not fit.

This cooler will fit the 7800GT. Any1 who has installed this on a 7800GT please post your results for the rest of the class. :D

Very nice photos Tiny. Looks awesome.

Nice results Kristo. Post some photos if you can. :)

And if any1 missed it, this cooler now comes in a blue LED edition.

I love my zalman, I know I have posted this thread earlier, and the pics look sweet, I just had to say I love my zalman!!!! best 30 bux I spent on computer stuff since...well I cant remember lol

**edit**
I did get a temp increase of about 2 degrees after the thermal goop set, but I will get some A5 soon right now GPU is idleing at 47 but normally it is about 48-49 man that is a grreat feeling...

I've used this sucker on the 68gt and now the 78gtx. The dif with the 68gt's cooling (bfg) was nice, but the 78gtx's improvement was fierce. Can't remember the 68 before temps with the bfg cooler, but it would load around 73 with the zalman on there. The 78 loads at 63ish. The stock 78 cooler was pretty darn lame imo too. I wish nv would have just used the silencer or something similar. With some of these cards being so powerful, I'd think the amount of folk intrerested in single slot solutions has to be small.

Back