Zalman VF-700Cu

Just installed mine yesterday. I was getting temps of 62C idle and 95+ load and now they are 52C idle and 75C load :D Take a look at the crappy job BFG did on the ram thermal grease. :mad: Anyways here are some pics...

zalman3.jpg

Nice and clean...
zalman4.jpg

Side by side...
zalman1.jpg

zalman2.jpg

I wish ZALMAN made an LED version of the VF700 just like the CNPS7000B. It would have a great effect having a blue light show between the fins from the side.

Indeed. If they make a blue LED one I may just have to snag it. I mean 30 bucks, these coolers are frickin cheap for how effective they are.

Fusion and Riptide - Very nice picts. :D

Do ramsinks actually have a purpose now or are cards still chip/voltage limited? J/w as I look through the pics

They serve a purpose. The 1.6ns samsung they use on most cards now runs damn hot. In fact most of the time you won't see it running at it's rated speed - 600mhz, because it just runs to hot to be stable there. On X800 cards the core is often voltage limited but the memory is usually held back by heat.

Thats an Abit AV8, they dont report temps right, so he wont be able to tell you :p.

I used to have an abit AV8, used to tell me my load temps were 58-60C, now my DFI tells me they are 49C :eek:

BigDaddy85 said:
Nice, uhmm wat's the temp on ur cpu and that x850xt gpu? :)

Hope you don't mind me answering this question too. :)

My CPU temps rarely go over 52°C load & 38°C idle using the blue LED Zalman. And my GPU temps are already listed. ;)

nice for ur p4, but he got fx-53 so wat's his? o well that heatsink kick azz either way lol. :D

BigDaddy85 said:
Nice, uhmm wat's the temp on ur cpu and that x850xt gpu? :)
As someone mentioned the AV8 has problems with temp reporting. Not every board does this for some reason but I've had two and they were/are both screwed up. GPU load temp is 60-62c and idle temps are 37-38c. Room temperature of 78 fahrenheit.

The CPU idles at 60c according to the BIOS. LOL there is ofcourse no way - it would shut down when I run folding@home if it were really getting that warm.

Look like I might have to pick one of these babies up! Given the problems with NV Silencer and the lack of availability, Zalman looks real good.

For those who have eVGA 6800GT, is the stock cooler for RAM sufficient? It's looks pretty robust to me. Can I leave the stock RAM HS and still use VF700Cu?

DarkBahamut said:
After setting it to 100% fan speed it matched the Zalman temps AND it had the added extra of exhausting hot air out the case, and i dont care how good your case cooling is, a direct exhaust is better than none, no matter what :p.
I agree. Thats one big plus to the two slot cards as far as I'm concerned.

They look practically identical to me. Same size, copper... I'd go with the cheaper ones then, which would be the OCZ.

OCZ it is then. I'll bump with some pict's hosted on Supload.com when the ramsinks arrive and I slap 'em on the card. My memory doesn't like o/c'ing that much and this is my last ditch effort to squeeze all I can outta this card without volt-mod's. And this shit is fun. I may just have to get a new MB and o/c there as well. :D

I just got my VF700-CU yesterday and i'm extremely pleased with the results, i went from the low 60's idle and mid 80's load to mid 50's idle and mid 60's load. this thing has literally dropped my load temps by an average of 20c or greater, and the lockups i experienced due to heat are a thing of the past.

I just ordered mine from Newegg. It should arrive about the same time as my 6800 ultra so I'm just going to put it on straight away. Sexy!!

I hope mine is waiting for me at home right now. I've gotten into a habit of ordering something before a business trip and when I return, I have a surprise for me. I guess it's my own way of welcoming myself home. I hope it drops my 63/85 temps to 50/60. I'll keep you all posted.

It's picture time!! Finally got my hosting back online (after a $100 payment :mad: ash-holes!!) and I can properly host my photos again. They are a tad fuzzy.....I'm re-learning my camera.

So here she is. The cooler I've been ravin' about for 3 weeks. Damn that's sexy. :D

P7210006.jpg

Cleaned and installed next to her sister CPU cooler. God I love Zalman. Note the removed PCI shim that draws fresh air into the case right over the card.

P7210011.jpg

Rig back together. All clean. Beautimus!!

P7210012.jpg

Back home and ready to shoot some people in the face!! :D

P7210016.jpg

All I need now is a ASUS or Abit board to do some overclocking and BAM!! Damn I love this hobby. This stuff is so much fun it should be illegal. :D

Looks damn sexy man :D. One thing I would suggest is moving the other PCI slot cover right next to the card, you dont want it to trap hot air near the card :eek: . And you know that www.imageshack.us offers free image hosting, if that's all you're trying to do.

Thanks K6. I'll try removing the other slot and see what happens to the temps. ;)

And I know there is free hosting all over......but I like using Apples iDisk cause their servers are always up and always fast. And I can organize all my photos and files, something I can't do with Supload or Imageshack. Yeah it's a 100 bucks a year, $8.50 a month, :( but well worth it. I'll give up two trips to Taco Bell a month for super fast and secure hosting.

I'm having a problem with mine, the ram cooling chips keep falling off. Obviously I didn't clean them well enough, but Shesh!

Any ideas to get them to stick? I'm about to buy some more thermal tape or that glue stuff. Which do you guys think is better?

dekard said:
I'm having a problem with mine, the ram cooling chips keep falling off. Obviously I didn't clean them well enough, but Shesh!

Any ideas to get them to stick? I'm about to buy some more thermal tape or that glue stuff. Which do you guys think is better?
The arctic silver adhesive is good, but you should mix it with some regular AS5, because if you use 100% adhesive (as I did on my 8500 back in the day) you will NEVER, and I mean NEVER get the sucker off. My TT Crystal Orb is basically dying on the 8500 (sounds like a saw), and if I try anything else to get it off, I'm gonna pull the GPU right off the PCB.

I hope Fry's sells that. I really want to get this up and running today. One questions though, what ratio should i mix the two products? 50% \ 50%... 70% adhesive \ 30% as?

jebo_4jc said:
The arctic silver adhesive is good, but you should mix it with some regular AS5, because if you use 100% adhesive (as I did on my 8500 back in the day) you will NEVER, and I mean NEVER get the sucker off. My TT Crystal Orb is basically dying on the 8500 (sounds like a saw), and if I try anything else to get it off, I'm gonna pull the GPU right off the PCB.

dekard said:
what ratio should i mix the two products? 50% \ 50%
Less than 50% AS. 60/40 or 70/30 should be good, depending on how heavy the ramsinks are.

jebo_4jc said:
Less than 50% AS. 60/40 or 70/30 should be good, depending on how heavy the ramsinks are.
its the little zakman aluminum ram sinks you see in all the pictures in this thread. they weigh almost nothing, maybe as much as a dime.. i'll probably go 70\30..

Ahh... screw it all...

I just went to Fry's and picked up some thermal tape ($3.95) and a Zalman fan controller... Dang computer's too noisy again...

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
GTX compatibility for this thing? Anyone?
well i have seen another reviewer or owner had 8 ocz copper bga on their ram and zalman VF700-cu on the core. cools great uhmm man i don't want to look for it. try google it and u will kno wat i am talkin bout. :)

The mounting holes on the back of the 6800Ultra look very similar to the holes on the back of the 7800GTX. I'm sure it will werk. ;)

If you want to get the thermal adhesive off, you can if you soak it in 91%+ isoprophyl alcohol and use a razor blade, but it takes alot of soaking to eat through the bond. On your memory chips dont us AS5 at all, its not made for them and does shit for them; you'll use a ton just for those 8 chips. Thermal tape works well and so do thermal pads with adhesives in the corner. If you must use AS5, then use a bit of adhesive in two opposite corners and use the AS5 in the middle, Don't mix the two, it just gives a poor result.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
GTX compatibility for this thing? Anyone?

A user named YOHAN14344 posted this another thread so I figured hey, why not answer your question and add his pict's to the thread. Hope you don't mind me quoting your post YOHAN14344. That's an awesome rig you have there. ;)

YOHAN14344 said:
That BFG card is definitely faster than my Inno3D. But they're both super fast since they're both 7800GTXs. Cool, ey?

Changed the VGA cooler into a Zalman V700 Al-Cu. ;)

This cool cat adds a few more FPS to the system...

Mr. K6 said:
If you want to get the thermal adhesive off, you can if you soak it in 91%+ isoprophyl alcohol and use a razor blade, but it takes alot of soaking to eat through the bond. On your memory chips dont us AS5 at all, its not made for them and does shit for them; you'll use a ton just for those 8 chips. Thermal tape works well and so do thermal pads with adhesives in the corner. If you must use AS5, then use a bit of adhesive in two opposite corners and use the AS5 in the middle, Don't mix the two, it just gives a poor result.

thanks for the info on using the Artic adhesive. I ended up just buying thermal tape. I had to reapply it 4 or 5 times since on one ram chip, it was really messed up. Anyway, its working now.

And the cooler sure is a lot quieter than the oem cooler.

I used Arctic Silver 5. Here is a comparison of temps before and after.
Old Idle = 61C New Idle = 49C (should be lower after the AS5 "sets")
Old Load = 78C New Load = 61C
(Load is after a run of 3DMark2005)

BTW those might still sound high but keep in mind I am using an Antec Sonata II with only one rear case fan (rear Tri-Cool 120mm) so my system is virtually silent. I am willing to give up a little in temps to have a totally silent system.

I am truly amazed at the performance, plus I am using the 5V Fan option so it is totally silent. As promised, here are the pics. I haven't overclocked it yet, that's my next challenge!

ZalmanVF700cu.jpg

ZalmanVF700cuotherside.jpg

ZalmanVF700cuside.jpg

Hey PerfectCr! Very nice!!

I really like the way that cooler looks on that 6600GT. Looks better on that blue PCB than on my red one. :p

Well it's been about a month now and I can say I am still very very happy with this cooler. Temps in North Idaho have been HOT lately but this cooler could care less. Stays remarkably clean for the flower design too.

Awesome awesome cooler.

Back