Zalman VF-700Cu

Can someone explain what is going on with the fan on this?

I'm really interested, but I keep reading about 5v etc.

Can I just plug the fan into the connector on my 6800gt?

:confused:

Mister E said:
Hey PerfectCr! Very nice!!

I really like the way that cooler looks on that 6600GT. Looks better on that blue PCB than on my red one. :p

Well it's been about a month now and I can say I am still very very happy with this cooler. Temps in North Idaho have been HOT lately but this cooler could care less. Stays remarkably clean for the flower design too.

Awesome awesome cooler.

Thanks yeah I am very happy with it. I live in Florida so naturally my ambients temps are higher but this cooler just keep in chugging. Love it!

Santos L. Halper said:
Can someone explain what is going on with the fan on this?

I'm really interested, but I keep reading about 5v etc.

Can I just plug the fan into the connector on my 6800gt?

:confused:

This coolers fan gets its power from the power supply. You are provided with an adapter for the fan that has 5v and 12v hook-ups. This is the normal 'Zalman' way of powering the fan. You could and can (from what I've heard) hack or re-wire the connector to fit your GPU's onboard fan connection.

PerfectCr said:
Thanks yeah I am very happy with it. I live in Florida so naturally my ambients temps are higher but this cooler just keep in chugging. Love it!

As Carl on Aqua Teen Hunger Force would say, "Awesome!! Friggin awesome!!" :D

Glad you guys are enjoying your VF-700Cu's :D

Yes, power for the fan can be run off the 5v or the 12v line in a normal molex connector using the Zalman adapter. Honestly though, 12v is almost silent, so leave it on that. However, I would strongly suggest not hacking it to fit on your board as A) It'll draw more power from your board, the power you want going to the Core/RAM for overclocking and B) It's a pain anyway. I actually have mine plugged into my system board so I can get RPM monitoring :cool:

Here is another successful 7800GTX + Zalman VF-700Cu installation. An [H]'er named ozziegn posted this in another thread. Hope you don't mind me quoting you and linking your photo for the thread. Damn nice. What are your temps like be4 and after?

ozziegn said:
7800gtx1.jpg

I have a VF-700cu on my eVGA 6800GT and I'm very happy with it. Only problem was cutting the stock power lead since it was epoxied onto the card. Big drop in temps though, min. temp drop of 7 degrees C.

Ok went ahead and gave it a shot. (putting a fan overtop of the exposed heatsink on the 7800gtx)

(damn is that cover cheap material, it's just lousy low grade plastic, not even stiff stuff at that)

I could have used screws, but I only have semi large ones, so they would do actual damage to the heatsink beyond bending.

So I pulled out some black zip ties.

Threaded them via the fan's screw holes, then around the back of the card, to bad the pci-e slot gets in the way of the second one so I had to drag it quite a bit across, so the fan while quite snug, has a little pull if I move it.

With stock cooling I had a 41C idle temp.

Now I have a 34C idle temp

bad thing is I had to take one of my case fans off (of power) so I could use the panaflo on it, I need more fan power adaptors

Very nice dragontales. Does the card fit ok next to that blue heatsink (chipset heatsink?) w/the Zalman installed?

Mister E said:
Very nice dragontales. Does the card fit ok next to that blue heatsink (chipset heatsink?) w/the Zalman installed?

Thanks for the compliment.

The Zalman nb heatsink does get in the way of the Zalman VF700, but just a little bit. I saw some ppl cut off some parts of the nb heatsink to make clearance, but I didn't. I just went ahead and install the video card anyway. So right now, the left edge of the fins of the VF700 is slightly pushed up (I would say about 1/2 inches) by the nb heatsink. No negative effect at all for the video card nor the VF700. I'll try post up some pictures soon.

Here are some more pictures of the Zalman in my Antec P180. :p

Today, I've added a 80mm Coolermaster fan to my Zalman northbridge heatsink. The NF4 chipset was getting a bit too hot, and I was getting a little bit uncomfortable about it. I have the coolermaster undervolted at 5v so it is whisper quiet. Nearly silent! SILENT PC RULEZZ. The heatsink is very cool to touch now. I was satify with this small mod.

From these pictures, you can tell that the VF700 is in contact with the northbridge heatsink. It does not cause any problem.

forum1.jpg

forum2.jpg

forum3.jpg

forum4.jpg

i love my zalman, its much quieter than the Antec Smart Power 500 I'm running.

Dragontales is it just me or is one of the heatsinks on your RAM looking to be out of position there in that picture? Almost looks like it's sliding off the chip...

Riptide_NVN said:
Dragontales is it just me or is one of the heatsinks on your RAM looking to be out of position there in that picture? Almost looks like it's sliding off the chip...

You are absolutely right Riptide. That heatink all the way to the right is slightly angular. It isn't straight on the memory chip. The reason being is that the back metal zalman bracket was slightly in the way of the heatsink. So I had to put it on just a bit off. It still sticks on tight tough.

I had the same thing happen to me. The bracket on the back got in the way of the last ramsink going on perfect. So I just bent one of the little blue fins on the heatsink down a bit and it slid underneith without having to mount if at a funny angle.

Well, I installed the VF-700Cu on my 6800GT OC'd at 400/1100. I don't know if there are good temps with OC. I'm getting 43deg ambient, 60 idle, and 73 load. I use AS5 and I even lapped the heatsink to a mirror finish. What temps are you all getting with the 6800GT overclocked?

i'm getting about 63c under load on my 6800 ultra and i have excellent case ventilation plus i keep the room a cool 72 degrees. i just wish it would oc more than 442 mhz and 1170 ram.

i shoulda gotten one instead of my silencer... but for some reason every single person on this forum 3 months ago had a different opinion

AznAnarchy99 said:
i used AS5 on my memory chips when i installed my silencer and they are gonna be a b1tch to clean up.
Nothing 91% isoprophyl alocohol wont fix :D

Mister E said:
Any1 install this cooler on the x8X0xt-pe class cards? Seems a lot of 6800 owners are very pleased.

I installed the VF700Cu on my X850XT PE. Results are as follows:

Ambient temp of room 80F (yeah I know, buy an A/C)

Stock cooler:

Idle 53-55c with fan @ 52%
Load 80-90c with fan @ 100%

Zalman:

Idle 40-45c with fan @12v setting
Load 62-68c with fan @12v setting

I know my temps would be lower if the ambient temp in my room was lower.

Could those who post their results or have already posted their results also post your ambient room temps?

Thank you.

Ambient room temperature of 78 degrees fahrenheit.

Stock:
-load 78c
-idle 42c

W/VF700Cu:
-load 60-61c
-idle 32-34c

Anybody know if puttin one of these babies on my 6800NU would help the artifacts disappear at 16x6 ? Currently running at 12x6 no problems.

you think i would benitfit replacing my silencer?

it idles are 49c and loads at 70c. i was lucky enough not to get any of the clicking noise. its a huge dust magnet though (probably the tornados bringing it in)

If your case has good airflow then yeah I'd say it couldn't hurt. It's a 30 dollar investment so you really can't go wrong.

As for cleaning. Get some pipe cleaners. You know, those little fuzzy twist tie like things. Those go right in between the flower fins and clean out dust. Canned air removes the rest. Takes me maybe 5 minutes to clean my CPU flower, then 2 minutes to clean my GPU flower. Compaired to the stock Intel and ATI coolers, easy as cake!!

im so lazy.. i have so much dust.. but i havent cleaned my filters or anything in a few months.

Juic3 said:
Anybody know if puttin one of these babies on my 6800NU would help the artifacts disappear at 16x6 ? Currently running at 12x6 no problems.
I'd also like to know if anyone was able to unlock anything using an NV5 or VF-700 compared to the stock cooler, and how you compare the noise between them.

Shoot, now I have another cooler to consider, so now I have to debate between a homemade gpu waterblock +ramsinks, DD Maze4 gpu + ramsinks, VF-700 ALCU + ramsinks, or an NV Silencer 5 Rev. 2. Then I get to debate between a homemade block or an XP-90 for my 3000+...decisions, decisions :( :) :mad: :confused:

AznAnarchy99 said:
im so lazy.. i have so much dust.. but i havent cleaned my filters or anything in a few months.

icon_smile_lachuh.gif
Canned air and pipe cleaners my friend. :D

Well, just installed the Zalman on my 6800GT. The central air is at 75 and the ambient temp is 38. Just ran 3dmark2001se a couple of times to get the temps.

Before:mad: 400/1100

Idle 58-61
load 71-78

After:mad: 400/1100

Idle 52-54
load 63-65

The idle temps didn't drop that drastically, but the load temps went way down. Also, it is much more quiet than the stock cooler. Here is a pic:

Also, for Abit IS7 owners, this thing does hit the NB fan, but doesn't interfere.

I ordered mine yesterday. I do not trust Thermal Tape, if not properly affixed it can actually make things worse. I am thinking about useing some thermal Epoxy I got with my Zalman Passive Heatsink, it has 2 syringes, one is orange and one is green, I used some of it on an older GF2MX that had a taped on HS that fell off, it holds really well. Other than being permenant I dont see any problems with useing it. The card isn't under warrenty so I dont have to worry about that. I only have 4 Ram Chips so it will be really easy to do, I wonder what I can do with the other 4 ramsinks :cool:

You also might want to check on the thermal conductivity of that Zalman stuff. Many times the TIM included with products is there because its required and isn't the best of quality. As for the extra RAM sinks, cool the mosfets on your motherboard, your southbridge, or something of the sort, the possibilities are endless :p

Very nice Santos. With your load temps down are you able to push your GT any higher than 400mhz on the core? Or are you close to voltage limitations? Either way it looks really good on thar!! :D

Did you get yours yet Diablo?

Tried pushing the core higher, but it doesn't really seem to take (using the auto oc on coolbits). It's ok though, it's practically silent and brought down my temps.

Back