Zalman VF-700Cu

I tried to put the Fatality version on my x1800xt. I had similar issues. The card would go into the mid 80's when playing games. Then it started giving me VPU errors. I eventually had to put the stock HS back on. To bad because I liked the looks and the quiet.

Jodiuh said:
Well this one fit. Not perfect, a small amount of wiggle room. But the contact was def there when I removed the heatsink. :p Here's my results...

Biggest difference here's the 11c jump on the Zalman. Perhaps once the AS5 settles it might go down a few c, but it's still a huge spike in temps. Especially considering this was done with stock volts and clocks.

Damn. That sucks that you get a temperature jump. It's strange that your ambient GPU temp drops, but the GPU itself heats up more. At least your your Raptor and NF4 chipset run cooler!

For my testing, I used Half-Life 2 Lost Coast (@ 1280x720) in a window and watched the ATi CCC temperature thing under the "ATI Overdrive" tab. FYI, the AIW X1800XT that I replaced did 74C idle and 91C (!) on stock cooling in this same case. The Zalman knocked that down to 58C and 71C.

Seems like its hit or miss with the new x1900xt(x) cards. Maybe the newer VF-900Cu with its heat pipes will do better.

rm19 said:
I'm getting one when it comes out, for sure: Zalman VF900

Looks like a slot and a half cooler, can anyone confirm?

Lmfao, I've seen it before, but no one's ever bothered to translate it for us!

*cries* :(

You're a good man Charlie Brow...er...rm19. :)

Well I've seen it spike above 87 now, woohoo! Stock cooler will be going back on tomorrow. Yeah, the noise sucks, but there's almost a 15 degree difference and that's just too much...

Here's the comments translated. According to specs, the weight's almost 100 grams lighter on this new Zilly. That doesn't sound nifty.

VF900
This VF900 weighs 187 grams and measurement 96x96x30 millimetres.

VF700-CU
- Dimensions : 91(L) x 126.4(W) x 30(H)mm
- Weight : 270g

Jodiuh said:
Well I've seen it spike above 87 now, woohoo! Stock cooler will be going back on tomorrow. Yeah, the noise sucks, but there's almost a 15 degree difference and that's just too much...

I hope you have no problems returning the Zalman. At least now you can put some AS5 under the massive stock cooler.

rm19 said:
I hope you have no problems returning the Zalman. At least now you can put some AS5 under the massive stock cooler.

Na, I bought it from Compusa. They told me it was returnable as long as I kept all packaging. I still haven't stuck it on there, cause it's just SOOOOOO nice to hear my pc "breathing" and not "WHINING."

add another happy user here!! very impressed.

loads are like 67 @ 1.225!!!!!! thats great same as my stock cooling with stock voltages.
pics coming soon on my x1800 xl

1 question. theres like 4 differnt ways to mount it on the x1800 xl. are all of them correct?

VF-900Cu "Does not produce noise or vibration in slient mode"

Whether it is the 700 or the 900, at the 12V mode, how much noise is there?

Because I find it hard to believe that it can be just as quiet as water cooling, say:

VF700 cu -- $30
Water cooling -- $250 and up

in other words, if a $30 product can do the job of a $250 & up system, then who is going to buy water cooling system?

On the other hand, if the system fan is louder than the 12V mode, then I guess it wouldn't make any difference if there is some noise.

It's still a very quiet cooler at 12volts. Unless your some kind of quiet time freak it shouldn't bother you. Like a slight hum instead of a whining, air whooshing stock fan.

Can you click this link:

http://www.cooling-masters.com/images/articles/laing/images/bruit_pompes.wmv

it is a sound file comparison of different pumps. And let me know if the 700 sound is closest to the noise level of any of those pumps? (You should keep the file too, it's very useful)

The bottom line is, after reading the entire 21 pages, all members are having a load temp of around 59 to 64 degree C. But from this link:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760053&page=10&pp=20

Members who watercool is having 28 to 31 degree C. That's half, a saving of over 30 degree C, that's a lot. So, it's the difference of night and day here. I mean, it makes no difference if the 700 is giving away free. I need that extra 30 degree C less on my system.

Does anyone know if this cooler is mountable on a 7800 GS? If so, that would rawk [H]ardcore. :D

well i know my card isn't really high end or anything thing but it does wonders for my 9800pro... lol I have it at 461/770.. runs nice and solid to.. and cool... well don't really know how cool it runs.. cause my board layout doesn't have the temp monitoring.. lol.

I added the Zalman VF700-Cu to my Powercolor X1900XT and now the card clocks to 690/1540...the stock cooler didnt allow much OC at all. I am only at 690 because that is the limit of the CCC Overdrive.

:D

Back