[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Has anyone attempted to lower the PSU a little (modding required) to fit a top fan and radiator? This in addition to a fan and radiator at the front of this case will provide what I believe to be an adequate water cooling solution for a decent GPU/CPU combo.

Hey guys anybody using the XFX 6770.... trying to get an idea if that bad boy will fit in the case... I saw somebody with a 6870 in their case so id assume its good to go as well too thanks

Hey guys anybody using the XFX 6770.... trying to get an idea if that bad boy will fit in the case... I saw somebody with a 6870 in their case so id assume its good to go as well too thanks

It would be nice if retailers would list the length of video cards in the specs. It's one of the most important specs and you can't find them anywhere. I'm wondering if all 6870's will fit or just certain models.

I'm using Sapphire's 6870 and has at least 0.5 cm clearance. The main problem fitting this GPU in the Sugo case is that if you need to remove it you will probably have to take almost everithing out (at least, fan psu and HDD/ODD) before you are able to take it out

(In my case i need to take the h70, the psu, drives, front pannel and dust filter)

yeah it sucks cause i had a 5770 vapor x on the way but if the 6770 is out (its actually on sale for a cheaper price too) might as well get it right hah

i got some cheapo card right now in my rig ... so im hoping to get that one ... other choice was the msi 460 gtx but im kind of scared with just picking up that 450 psu for the thing to be overloaded ....im already running external devices like crazy left and right hahah

I received my replacement Sg05 Friday and I'm happy to say this power supply was not DOA like the first one and works fine with no coil whine or chirping..... yet, but I havent gamed on the system yet either. Right now I'm dialing in my overclock (3.8GHz) with the new CPU cooler which is an H50 since the NC-12P wouldn't fit. Before I continue I just want to say the H50 is alot better cooler than I originaliy gave it credit for. It's a full 7 degrees cooler inside this tiny case with two scythe slipstreams in a push pull config than the Noctua was on a testbench with a kaze ultra when cooling the 1055T.

The other problem I ran into was that my 5870 wouldn't fit. I planned on selling it for $225 but I didn't get any offers so I went to Microcenter to buy a 6870. I ended up leaving with a GTX-470 which is probably the worst video card I could of chosen due to heat and power draw. My brain kept telling me to get the 6870 for $210 but my inner cheapskate said get the 470 for $190 and buy some AS5 with the change. The inner cheapskate won out now I'm not only pushing my motherboard (m4a88t-I del.) to the limit but I'm pushing the power supply also. According to the extreme psu calculater my system requires a 436 watt psu so I should be good with the st455 no?

Anyway I'll let you guys know what lets out the magic smoke first the psu or the motherboard. I'm guessing the psu since I've been running the motherboard with an even higher oc since November.
I will say this about the SG05, I expected a better quality case tbh. The sides are very flimsy compared to previous Lian Li case and they buckle with ease I've had $20 cases that were built better than this thing. I'm guessing the psu makes up the majority of the cost but alot of people are having problems with it. The bottom line is I love the size and looks of this case so I'm keeping it.

Last edited:
I keep looking and still no specs so that kind of sucks haha ... Anyways the one I was looking at
Was the XFX 6770 it looks length wise about equal to the previous version so well see

Anyone mod the power button / light ? It looks cheap to me and is way bright. Any ideas on what might work?

Anyone mod the power button / light ? It looks cheap to me and is way bright. Any ideas on what might work?

Button, I couldn't do much. Light, I simply unplugged the Power button light, and dimmed the HDD light by carefully painting over it...

You initially said the 6770 = 5770................... there are differences though yes, they are very minor if you have a look @ the 6770-5770 comparison :)

After showing how the 6770 and 5770 are different the referred to site says -

"Please note that the above 'benchmarks' are all just theoretical - the results were calculated based on the card's specifications, and real-world performance may (and probably will) vary at least a bit."

They are not testing them, just comparing specs. The requester will be just as happy with either one as they are like identical twins. Get whichever is cheaper

The 5770 and 6770 are a rebadge, sadly. But then what's the point in developing something to fill that price point when the 5770 is already fast enough, cool running, quiet (the Vapor-X is a really brilliant card) and cheap to produce?

I don't condone rebadging but even I begrudingly understand ATI's viewpoint on the matter.

I played Civ 5 for 11 hours yesterday and I didn't notice any whining or chirping. After researching this psu I'm starting to think it's not so bad. Johnny Guru gave it 8/10 for performance and that says alot, I take his recommendations over anybody elses even [H]when it comes to power supplies.

One thing I noticed is the fan filter is way too restrictive. The exhuast coming out of the power supply was very warm with the fan filter even with 2 110 cfm Slipstreams in a push pull config, but once I removed the fan filter the psu exhaust temps fell dramatically. It's only slightly warmer than the ambient air temperature now which should help the psu not work as hard.

From Gainward's page:

Product Size :

267mm x 112mm

So no, it's going to be slightly too long.

The one on the 560Ti would fit length-ways but i'm not sure about width as it takes up a little more than the two slots.

Ok, I've been lurking in here for too long. This is an amazing thread with lots to digest. I have built a number of ITX cases in the past, usually HTPC's, but am getting ready to build my first "performance" ITX build. I'd like some input.

Parts List: (Already Purchased)
Gigabyte H55N-USB3 S1156 ITX Motherboard
Intel i5-760 CPU
8Gig (2x4Gb) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3
Seagate Monumerntous XT 500GB Hybrid 2.5" Hard Drive
Corsair H60
2x Arctic Cooling F12 120mmx25mm PWM Fans
**Enzotech MOS-C1 Heatsinks for H55N-USB3 VRM's.**

Parts List: (To Be Purchased)
60-80GB SSD (Still Evaluating Brands)
Silverstone SG05-450 ITX Case (Love the size and what people have been doing with it in here.)
Video Card Purchase (GTX460 range) to be determined

I've got a few questions before I make some of the final purchases this or next week.

1) Dual fans on an H60 in the SG05, is this possible with the fans I already have with respect to space? Do not want to mount a fan on the outside as I don't like the look at all.
2) With my desires dual fan/radiator setup, what will be my desired video card choices seeing as I'm shooting for a GTX 460 series.
3) Is there any way, without having to take a dremel to the case, to fit the slim-dvd drive and still get my desired video card in there?

Well...lets see.
1. yes. It should fit tho I am not sure push/pull will make a big difference it this small case.
2. yes. Case width 222mm, radiator width 120mm.
3. Not sure you can use slim dvd. Case height 176mm, h60 rad height 152mm. Not to mention that i see you got OC plans, so you pretty much need to ATX mod.

Thats the reasons I ordered a SG07 that just arrived today :)

It would be nice to see a SG05 atx modded, AIO WC even with 1 fan with powerful VGA like 560ti or 6950 and ODD drive. But ATX PSU and ODD will mostly not fit.

Is it possible to fit a second 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive somewhere (using double sided sticky tape) without modifications? I might even forgo the need for an internal optical disk drive.

as Z68 boards seem to be cropping up, I'd like to use SSD caching and have a larger but slower storage drive as well, so that requires the use of at least 3 drives.

I am finishing up my sg05 for a spare gamer build when I have a guest over.

Specs:
Intel i7 875k (stock speeds)
Gigabyte H55N-USB3 mobo
Corsair H50
4gb Crucial ddr3 ram
HIS Radeon HD 6850
LiteOn Slim DVDRW drive
Intel x25 80gb ssd drive
Western Digital 640gb hdd
Windows 7

Had to make some modifications for it to accommodate the H50. First thing was I had to remove everything from the drive tray except the top tray. Was considering going without an optical but decided to see if I can make it work. So I had to fabricate something to mount my hard drives. I wanted to mount them in the space next to the psu.

P1000697.JPG

I came up with these drive cages

Bottom drive (WD 640gb)

P1000699.JPG

P1000700.JPG

Top drive (Intel SSD)

P1000701.JPG

P1000702.JPG

To make the mounting location work I had to modify the SATA power connectors to be closer together. Shortened it quite a bit.

P1000694.JPG

P1000696.JPG

Here is the finished product.

P1000703.JPG

P1000704.JPG

Want to get some right angle sata cables to help with the wire management. and possibly also shorten the molex power cable.

Is it possible to fit a second 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive somewhere (using double sided sticky tape) without modifications? I might even forgo the need for an internal optical disk drive.

as Z68 boards seem to be cropping up, I'd like to use SSD caching and have a larger but slower storage drive as well, so that requires the use of at least 3 drives.

If you are willing to go without the optical disk, I would think a 2.5" drive would fit pretty easily up in that space. You could probably even use a single screw (using the optical drive bracket) to help hold the drive in place (along with your doublestick tape).

I am finishing up my sg05 for a spare gamer build when I have a guest over.

Specs:
Intel i7 875k (stock speeds)
Gigabyte H55N-USB3 mobo
Corsair H50
4gb Crucial ddr3 ram
HIS Radeon HD 6850
LiteOn Slim DVDRW drive
Intel x25 80gb ssd drive
Western Digital 640gb hdd
Windows 7

Had to make some modifications for it to accommodate the H50. First thing was I had to remove everything from the drive tray except the top tray. Was considering going without an optical but decided to see if I can make it work. So I had to fabricate something to mount my hard drives. I wanted to mount them in the space next to the psu.

Want to get some right angle sata cables to help with the wire management. and possibly also shorten the molex power cable.

Well I was able to fit 2 drives and the H50 without any mods, only removing the 3.5" cage

DSC03326.JPG

DSC03329.JPG

DSC03330.JPG

But I kinda like your idea

If you are willing to go without the optical disk, I would think a 2.5" drive would fit pretty easily up in that space. You could probably even use a single screw (using the optical drive bracket) to help hold the drive in place (along with your doublestick tape).

It seems after some research that 2.5" drives even the fastest 7200 rpm ones are quite slow compared to their desktop counterparts...I wonder if SSD caching would help or not.

Yes they are a bit slow but nothing concerning for gaming usage IMHO

Also, the Velociraptor is 2.5" and is faster than most desktop parts

Getting excited about building a SG05 build soon...

does the 3.5" bay still fit with a Scythe Kozuti?

Today i put a GTX 580 in my SG05 with a 2500K@3,4ghz. it worked perfect. 450W silverstone psu was stable. it did 18800 points in 3dmark2006@1920x1200 8aa 8af AWSOME (only had time to test 2006)

2500K is the greatest cpu ever. MUCH cooler than my i7 920 (1366) and a little betterpreformance)

Today i put a GTX 580 in my SG05 with a 2500K@3,4ghz. it worked perfect. 450W silverstone psu was stable. it did 18800 points in 3dmark2006@1920x1200 8aa 8af AWSOME (only had time to test 2006)

2500K is the greatest cpu ever. MUCH cooler than my i7 920 (1366) and a little betterpreformance)

We want pics! :D

finally! :D

this is what a good 450W PSU is supposed to handle when it works ;)

Intel i5 2500k
Antec Khuler 620 (Scythe Slipstream Push/Pull)
2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333mhz
ASRock H67M-ITX
XFX Radeon HD6970
Western Digital SATAIII Caviar Blue 500gb HDD
Crucial M4 SATAIII 64gb SSD
Silverstone SG05 w/ 450w PSU

As you can see, I had to cut a hole in the front of the case for the 6970, and I also had to velcro the 3.5" HDD caddy under the PSU because well, it wouldn't fit anywhere else.

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

you maimed it! oh, the poor little thing! :D

and also.. GOOD JOB, it looks clean enough, i wouldnt dare because here (brasil) its boring as hell to do all the things required to import an SG05 (plus with taxes and everything it ended up costing about U$300 for the 300W version ^^)

We want pics! :D

I'll take some pictures. but my case is a mess after to much modding, and the GTX 580 has an Accelero XTREME Plus II, meanig its to wide and to long for the case. it a ghetto build :)

finally! :D

this is what a good 450W PSU is supposed to handle when it works ;)

I undervolted the 2500K (from 1,15V to 1,04V), saving some precious 12A, so it might help the psu

@jamesman32 a Awsome build!!!, love what u did with the gpu mod in the front, it allmost seems original :)

Intel i5 2500k
Antec Khuler 620 (Scythe Slipstream Push/Pull)
2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1333mhz
ASRock H67M-ITX
XFX Radeon HD6970
Western Digital SATAIII Caviar Blue 500gb HDD
Crucial M4 SATAIII 64gb SSD
Silverstone SG05 w/ 450w PSU

As you can see, I had to cut a hole in the front of the case for the 6970, and I also had to velcro the 3.5" HDD caddy under the PSU because well, it wouldn't fit anywhere else.

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Now thats a sweet clean mod! Very nice.

Back