[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

That's weird, had no problem with the H50. I use one fan only though, it's quiet and my i5 760 idles at 25c on hot days.

With that solution I used the stock tray for the 2.5" drive and used ruber bands (small ones from my brother's braces) to "hang" a second and a third drive from the cage's screws. works pretty well.

I just got my S005w built a few days ago. It was a b**tch to put it together, but I've managed to Mod it to fit a GTX 570, and a ATX PSU.

Shots from the back
DSC00597.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

Shots from the inside.
NOTE: The H50 tubes are touching the PSU.
DSC00601.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

Without PSU
DSC00605.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

I assure you, that nothing sticks out of the case. Temps are better than I thought it would be.

My only thoughts on this is that I should've grabbed the H70 or Coolit Eco, the tubes run off the side. Knowing this, the tubes wont touch the PSU. However for the H50 it runes up vertical to the CPU, which touches the PSU.

Got the MSI reference 6870 in last night ... about 3 weeks after purchasing!

Fun and games to get it in ... had to remove everything except the mobo and HSF and angle it through the front fan hole.

Got it sorted though, runs very well considering it's size comparred to my main rig (i7-930, 2 x 5870's)

Current spec's are:

Silverstone SG05, no mods (yet!)
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Intel i5-760 @ stock
Thermalright AXP-140 with Scythe Slim 120mm fan
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 HDD (to be replaced with SSD down the track)
G.Skill ECO 4GB Kit, CL7 1600MHz
MSI HD6870 Reference Design
Silverstone Slim Slot Load DVD

The only issue I have right now though is that the DVD drive power is a molex ... but I've had to use the 2 molex connectors for the extra 6 pin GPU power ... might need to find an old pass-thru plug and mod it onto the DVD power ...

Oh yeah, has anyone else noticed the key-ing on the 6-pin GPU power doesn't quite match up? One of the middle pins are square when it should be keyed? I trimmed it with a blade and it fits fine now ...

Thinking of changing the front fan for something quieter ... maybe a Noctua or Nexus ... any recommendations??

Last edited:
Noone? I have found a few minor bits on SPCR, however, I think I'm just going to go the ATX mod route, with either an X-460 or an AX850 (again), lol. I just need to fab a decent bracket to hold the PSU out some 50mm or so.

Noone? I have found a few minor bits on SPCR, however, I think I'm just going to go the ATX mod route, with either an X-460 or an AX850 (again), lol. I just need to fab a decent bracket to hold the PSU out some 50mm or so.

if the nexus 430 is still available its a very short powersupply , something to consider. for modding the stock powersupply with different fan that shouldnt be hard to do . i have replaced fans on several powersupplys that annoyed me

Jen

if the nexus 430 is still available its a very short powersupply , something to consider. for modding the stock powersupply with different fan that shouldnt be hard to do . i have replaced fans on several powersupplys that annoyed me

Jen
hello,

thank you!! :) I found CoolTechPC is a retail outlet for the Nexus compact PSUs, I'm gonna snag the NX6000 and snip some of the cables :) I think that should barely have enough power for my GTX580 :D SG06 with semi-ATX PSU and a GTX580 :D and backplate!!
Have someone tried the shuttle 500W psu? it would be a great mod i think,

IIRC, most shuttle PSUs were either the wierd ICE cooler types or the slim and long kind :( (experience from the HP Slimline thread, where I pounded out my [H] roots :)), but nearly all have reliability issues that seem out of the ordinary (either that or they are insanely popular??).

Is it easy to mount an ATX PSU on the SG05? Can't picture myself getting a SST45SF when a Corsair VX550 is the same price over here

you can probably just bend the bottom mounting tab and drill 3 holes... however, you'd either need a short PSU or loose the ODD/HDD/SSD mounting brackets (all three).

Maybe flipping the psu will allow me to keep the case intact? after all I'm using an H50

nah, it has to do with the ATX PSUs being larger in every dimention vs SFX12V PSUs; you don't have to do much modding... just a simple 3 holes and a slightly bent tab...

EDIT: if you mean the power plug, the yeah, just flip the PSU.

I snagged it when it first came out. I'm probably the reason why it's not in stock.

Hey, where is your HDD? did you have to remove the cage completely? I don't use the 3.5" bay but I do use the ODD and the 2.5" bay.

What PSU is that? I was thinking on getting a Silverstone Sttrider Plus with a short cable kit

One thing I did with my SG05BB-450 that helped with cable management, was use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter in the 3.5" slot. I only have a single WD 320 GB Scorpio Black in there for my traditional storage (the standard 2.5 slot has my SSD) and could fit another drive if needed. The key thing here is that you have empty channels between the 3.5" exterior and the 2.5" interior compartment. I had to lay my PCIe power cables and SATA power cables into the channel closest to the front of the case before I installed the 3.5" cage into the case. As a result, though, all of those cables are neatly bundled up and don't fall into the space in front of the front cooling fan.

I just built a SG06-300W system with a Zotac H67-ITX, a I7-2600K and an MSI 6850.
I made a full load test with Prime and Furmark together, and after about 2 minutes the PSU shut down and is dead now.
PSU-Fan was facing down, and it seems the hot air of the CPU-cooler/fan was too much for it.
I am quite astonished that the PSU doesn't shutdown before overheating.
I'll try the 450W, but surely won't run the two load tests together...

regards
mariachi76

Have you tried analog headphones on the front panel? do you have a lot of noise?

I have noise on the rear motherboard ports too and tried a PCI-e sound card and I have noise too... it's annoying.

I just built a SG06-300W system with a Zotac H67-ITX, a I7-2600K and an MSI 6850.
I made a full load test with Prime and Furmark together, and after about 2 minutes the PSU shut down and is dead now.
PSU-Fan was facing down, and it seems the hot air of the CPU-cooler/fan was too much for it.
I am quite astonished that the PSU doesn't shutdown before overheating.
I'll try the 450W, but surely won't run the two load tests together...

regards
mariachi76

Do you have another PSU to test with? An i7 2600k and radeon 6850 should pull less than 300W. It is just a suggestion since the mobo/video card could also the be the source of the problem.

Gemini II S will fit, however, ONLY if you remove the stock fan. You can replace it with a slim fan, or run it semi passively with the SG05/SG06's stock fan.

Just a note, those coolers will block the PCIe slot of most LGA1155/LGA1156 motherboards.

Can you test on the rear? no need to play any audio just crank up the volume and you'll hear it if it's there

I had the same issue on my SG06. I would have some static/crackling from the front panel. I didn't have any from the rear jacks.

Gemini II S will fit, however, ONLY if you remove the stock fan. You can replace it with a slim fan, or run it semi passively with the SG05/SG06's stock fan.

Just a note, those coolers will block the PCIe slot of most LGA1155/LGA1156 motherboards.

If you bend the GeminII S just a little bit with your hands it doesn't block the PCIe for example on the Zotac H67-ITX. Just need some insulation in between.

regards mariachi76

Do you have another PSU to test with? An i7 2600k and radeon 6850 should pull less than 300W. It is just a suggestion since the mobo/video card could also the be the source of the problem.

Another PSU (450W ST45SF) is on the way. I think the PSU simply overheated with the high load, and the CPU fan blowing the hot air directly into the PSU.

If I plug the PSU into the socket and turn it on, the fuse blows -> I guess it is the PSU not the mobo/gpu. However, I hope the mobo/gpu didn't get damaged too.

regards
mariachi76

I had the same issue on my SG06. I would have some static/crackling from the front panel. I didn't have any from the rear jacks.
so far, 3 of the 8 silverstone cases I have, has static from the front panel jacks.
If you bend the GeminII S just a little bit with your hands it doesn't block the PCIe for example on the Zotac H67-ITX. Just need some insulation in between.

regards mariachi76

I could of sworn that was the Suriken RevB.... I had a gemini II S and I could of sworn it was too large :( (though I only had a SG02 at the time :p

This may have been asked before, but I have searched through the thread and read all I can. Is there a 2GB version of the AMD 6-series that will fit the Sugo05? I dont mind modding the inner panel to fit, but I do NOT want to have to dremel the front panel to make it fit (I.E. SEE HERE FOR DETAILS ^_^) I am wanting to build a little monster Eyefinity rig and am hesitant to pull the trigger. I love the Sugo05 and know it will fit so much more than the LL-Q11, and I would like to stay tiny. Any input is appreciated!

This may have been asked before, but I have searched through the thread and read all I can. Is there a 2GB version of the AMD 6-series that will fit the Sugo05? I dont mind modding the inner panel to fit, but I do NOT want to have to dremel the front panel to make it fit (I.E. SEE HERE FOR DETAILS ^_^) I am wanting to build a little monster Eyefinity rig and am hesitant to pull the trigger. I love the Sugo05 and know it will fit so much more than the LL-Q11, and I would like to stay tiny. Any input is appreciated!

nope -- you'll have to dremel the front panel to fit the 2GB -- though, if you get a SG06 instead, this will be hidden by the fascia.

hey everyone :)

looking to downsize from a q08 to something properly tiny, and got my eye on the little 05'.

Just wondering if you could chuck some quick answers (as ive been reading back through the thread but am getting lost)

spec in sig, really wondering on a few main pointers:

whats the atx mod for a decent psu (as i doubt a 300w would be able to handle this)
EDIT: just seen can get a 450w version, would that be substantial enough or am i looking to need a fullsize atx still?)
best cpu cooler with the above mod?
whats the current best graphics card you can fit in one? (ideally nvidia for physx/cuda)

hop you can help! I'll keep reading on and working stuff out, just thought id post see if anyone can answer better

hey everyone :)

looking to downsize from a q08 to something properly tiny, and got my eye on the little 05'.

Just wondering if you could chuck some quick answers (as ive been reading back through the thread but am getting lost)

spec in sig, really wondering on a few main pointers:

whats the atx mod for a decent psu (as i doubt a 300w would be able to handle this)
EDIT: just seen can get a 450w version, would that be substantial enough or am i looking to need a fullsize atx still?)
best cpu cooler with the above mod?
whats the current best graphics card you can fit in one? (ideally nvidia for physx/cuda)

hop you can help! I'll keep reading on and working stuff out, just thought id post see if anyone can answer better

I think people are going to want more thorough information than what you have included in your signature. Which i7 do you have? Are we talking socket 1366, 1156 or 1155? Likewise, what DFI itx board do you have? Your power requirements there will impact the choice of graphics card.

ahh sorry!

i7 860 skt 1156
dfi lp mi p55
2x4gb ram
single sata hdd
no dvd drive

psu checker site says 450 might be enough (obv depending on gfx card)

Yeah with your setup the 450W PSU would certainly be fine with some version of a GTX 460. Based on what I've seen others do in the SFF forum, I'd bet you could get by with a GTX 560ti even though they officially list that as requiring a 500W PSU. Those suggestions, however, are usually based on the assumption that a person is using a CPU with 130W TDP. Your CPU is listed as a 95W TDP model. The 450W PSU that comes in the Sugo-5 delivers 36 amps while a GTX 560ti only needs a 30-amp capable PSU. So long as you don't have lots of other components sucking up the power (and it doesn't look that way from your list), you should be in the clear.

Based on pictures of that motherboard, it looks like you have lots of distance between the CPU socket and the PCI slot. That means that you probably have a range of low profile CPU coolers to choose from. Many of these will need RAM that does not have heat spreaders on them as they heat spreader fins will run into the CPU cooler. Regular RAM will work fine, however. You will also probably want to flip the PSU over so that the fan is sucking in air from the top, otherwise the PSU fan and the CPU fan will be fighting each other for air. So the standard list will include: Scythe Shuriken Rev. B, Prolimatech Samuel 17, and Thermaltake AXP140 RT. A person might be able to get by with a Scythe Big Shuriken, but I suspect it might actually extend off the edge of the motherboard on that DFI model (and, thus, wouldn't fit the case). The Big Shuriken seems to fit best on motherboards that have the CPU socket right in the center (e.g ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe). Might be worth making a thread just about your motherboard so as to attract the attention of people that own that model.

Back