Your HD tune scores

Here are the scores for my 3 drives. They're all in use, so no write results. The WDC10EADS is beings uses as an ESATA drive right now, so in Device Manager it's set up for Quick Removal. I also had a game downloading from Direct2Drive when I benched. Next step for me is to RAID0 both my OS and Games drives.

Picked up a couple of those Patriot PS-100 32GB SSDs from Fry's last week:

HDTune_Benchmark_R_Patriot_PS-100_32GB_RAID0_64GB.png
HDTune_Benchmark_W_Patriot_PS-100_32GB_RAID0_64GB.png

HDTune_Random_Access_R_Patriot_PS-100_32GB_RAID0_64GB.png
HDTune_Random_Access_W_Patriot_PS-100_32GB_RAID0_64GB.png

ATTO_Benchmark_Patriot_PS-100_32GB_RAID0_64GB.png
CDM_Benchmark_Patriot_PS-100_32GB_RAID0_64GB.png

... looks like they're going back to Fry's, lol.

Picked up a couple of those Patriot PS-100 32GB SSDs from Fry's last week:

[pics]

... looks like they're going back to Fry's, lol.

hm. do these results seem odd to anybody else? Like, why all the variation in the write tests?

hm. do these results seem odd to anybody else? Like, why all the variation in the write tests?

hence, why they're going back.

Here's my Intel X18-M's in RAID0, on the same system (had both arrays installed at the same time):

HDTune_Benchmark_R_Intel_X18-M_80GB_RAID0_160GB.png
HDTune_Benchmark_W_Intel_X18-M_80GB_RAID0_160GB.png

HDTune_Random_Access_R_Intel_X18-M_80GB_RAID0_160GB.png
HDTune_Random_Access_W_Intel_X18-M_80GB_RAID0_160GB.png

ATTO_Benchmark_Intel_X18-M_80GB_RAID0_160GB.png
CDM_Benchmark_Intel_X18-M_80GB_RAID0_160GB.png

System Specs:

Alienware Aurora 2009
Intel i7 core 920 @ 2.77 Ghz
6GB DDR3 Tripple channel @ 1066 Mhz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 1.8 Gb GDDR3
2 x 500 Gb Seagate Barracuda; 1 TB Raid 0

HD Tune Benchmark Results:
BestHDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0.png

System Specs:
SystemSpecifications.png

HD Specs:
HardDriveSpecifications.png

Raid Specs:
HardDriveRaidConfiguration.png

How did I do in my first ever Raid config? Any comments? How can I increase my access times without changing my raid size? Is there a way to shut off acoustic management? Thanks!!!

Anyone have any experience with these hard drives or this setup? How do I remove the acoustics mangement? Is that why I am getting such high access times? Thanks a TON!!!

Not as bad ass drives as some of yall. But heres what i got. Pretty close to some. Minus the access times.
2 WD 640 Blacks
HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Vol.png

4x80GB X25-M G2's on X58 ICH10R, RAID 0 128kb blocks (FW:02HD) - Will be getting PCIe RAID controller soon, pretty sure Im being bottle necked.

8mby.jpg

Last edited:
2x146Gb 15k SAS drives in Raid0 using a FastTrak TX2650 PCIe x1 controller.

Is this bad?

5lutev.jpg

HDtune seems to indicate that my x-25m sux.

hdtunebenchx25m.jpg

lol at your wording

It doesn't look like the x-25 is the issue here although it could be, do you have it in an adapter or something? Something is definitely bottlenecking that drive though.

85817156.png

My previous RAID 6 array with 6 WD6400AAKS converted to RAID 5.

Gets a solid 250 MB/s when copying files to itself. Nice.

Fresh install of Windows 7 Professional on the X-25 80gb I just got today. Seems pretty in line with what most people are getting.

vg80gbx25.jpg

I just updated the firmware on my Torqx to 1819, and in the process I decided to do a complete re-install of Windows 7 Home Premium. The results are a little surprising, seeing as that most people who do this are losing speed due to the emphasis of stability over speed. My drive is now about 10-15MB/s faster in sequential reads, and a bit better in random access. Writes went down by a fraction.

Please help me...

My System Drive as bad ass slow. I don't know why but maybe you can help me.

I run a Core i7 System on an Asus P6T Motherboard. Operating System is Windows 7 64bit in German. The whole harddisks are protected with TrueCrypt 256bit AES.

Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller:
Driver: Intel
Version: 8.9.0.123 of 04.Jun.2009

JMicron JMB36X Standard Dual Channel PCIE IDE Controller:
Driver-Date 16.Sept.2006
Driver-Version: v1.0.0.0
Signature: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility

System C and D is on HDD0 - Western Digital Green 1,5 TB - WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0
10820844.png

G is on HDD1 - Western Digital Green 1,5 TB WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0
46676639.png

H is on HDD2 - Western Digital Green 1,0 TB WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1
90166746.png

I is on HDD3 - Western Digital Green 1,0 TB WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1
77704193.png

Do I have a problem with my SATA-Controller/Driver or is my HDD too slow?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Please help me... My System Drive as bad ass slow. I don't know why but maybe you can help me.

I run a Core i7 System on an Asus P6T Motherboard. Operating System is Windows 7 64bit in German. The whole harddisks are protected with TrueCrypt 256bit AES.

System C and D is on HDD0 - Western Digital Green 1,5 TB - WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/124/10820844.png
Do I have a problem with my SATA-Controller/Driver or is my HDD too slow?

Thanks in advance!

No, you have a problem in your choice of HDD as your system drive. WD Green drives are SLOW drives meant to be used as storage drives, not as system drives. They power down to save power, and as such, make them slower than typicaly drives that always stay on.

ok, thanks for the info.

But are there good system hdd's which are silent? I had Seagate Barracuda 1,5TB's and they were so loud... :mad:

ok, thanks for the info.

But are there good system hdd's which are silent? I had Seagate Barracuda 1,5TB's and they were so loud... :mad:

No mechanical HDD I know of is silent. Quietness, however, is subjective. Personally, I've found the Samsung F1/F3 1TB drives to be rather quiet but very fast. I've also found the same results with WD Caviar Blue/Black 640GB/1TB drives. Speed and quietness are tradeoffs, so you'll have to choose one or the other, typically. I'd recommend a separate system drive for you, such as a Samsung F3 500GB (single platter). You can use the WD Acronis tool to simply image your boot partition over to the new drive, if you decide on my suggestion.

Ok I finally got around to testing my Drive performance of the rig I made in Jan 2009:
  • Dell XPS 730x
  • Intel® Core i7 processor Extreme Edition 965 (3.20GHz,8MB)
  • 6GB RAM (3 x 2048) 1067MHz DDR3 Dual-Channel
  • 6X Blu-Ray Burner Drive including software
  • Creative Sound Blaster Xfi Xtreme
  • Dell 3008WFP Monitor - Ultrasharp 30" Wide Aspect Flat Panel
  • 2x nVidia GTX 295 in SLi (quad SLi configuration)

I used HD Tach (running in 2000 compatibility mode - got to be a better way than this) and got the following results:

OCZ Vertez (4x SSD) RAID Array:
OCZVertex.gif

Avg read 814.9 MB/s
Burst 1039.6 MB/s

Samsung F1 (4x SATA) RAID Array:
samsungf1.gif

Avg read 339.1 MB/s
Burst 1163.2 MB/s

I have 6x OCZ Agility EX SLC drives sitting in a box next to me to replace these 1 year old OCZ Vertex drives - through about the Intels but these Agility drives are nearly the same performance and besides a new generation of Intel SSDs is due to launch imminently.

no that would be over the speed of USB 2.0.

With overhead you are lucky to hit 40mb/sec. usually its between 30-35.

no that would be over the speed of USB 2.0.

With overhead you are lucky to hit 40mb/sec. usually its between 30-35.

Unless you're on an AMD motherboard. Then you're stuck with 23-28MB/s. My Patriot XT thumbdrive can hit 35MB/s on my work computer, which has an Intel motherboard, but it's much slower on my AMD setup.

Last edited:
I bought a new Harddrive for my Windows7-Partition...

BEFORE:
10820844.png

AFTER (with Samsung HD103SJ) 1TB:
hdtunebenchmarksamsungho.png

Mission auccessfully accomplished.

I can live with that rates ;) And the Drive is so silent... :)

I bought a new Harddrive for my Windows7-Partition...

BEFORE:
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/124/10820844.png

AFTER (with Samsung HD103SJ) 1TB:
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/866/hdtunebenchmarksamsungho.png

Mission auccessfully accomplished.

I can live with that rates ;) And the Drive is so silent... :)

Nice! Though, I disagree that the drive is silent. :p I can hear mine, but then again, mine is sitting on my desk (just the drive), about 1.5ft from my head, lol. ... but yes, its a very quiet yet fast drive.

I have a Lancool K7 Case with a buffered HD-Case.

My old 103UJ is a little bit louder in an external Case (Stardom i302)

Thanks again ;)

Seems the G2 x25m doesn't get along with HD Tune, my old G1 2x80gb raid 0 was twice as fast as 3x80gb raid 0 G2's

HD Tune reports 224 min, 440 max, 332 avg, .1 ms acess

capturevf.png

Here's mine, my logic and use of Kingston v now 40 gig is win 7 installed. Moved user directories and temp / pagefile, everything off to old wd 37 raptor. Disable all defrags, logs to this drive. Stays at 21.5 gig free for 6 weeks and will stay that way for best performance. Windows and its native apps/browsers start and shut down / switch instantly. Its that good. It was worth a 100 dollars, bought on opening day at newegg. Integrating ssd's in to your rig seems to speed up all performance including I/O from other disks.
I access movies/music over a network and external storage. I am going to upgrade to internal 1 gig black? eventually. Playing with your o/c and benching is made even funner with turnaround reboot times under 35 seconds.
HDTune_Benchmark_KINGSTON_SSDNow_40.png

To everyone with 150-250 mb/s reads off their raid 5 setup in HD Tune, what type of transfer speeds are you seeing?

I too get great speed, averaging over 220mb/s in HD Tune (ICH9R, 4 WD 1TB Black drives), however when I try to transfer ANYTHING, large or small files, it bursts initially at over 200 and then settles at a dismal 55-60mb/s (the problem seemed to have gotten worse after switching from vista x64 to 7 x64)

Help! I can't take it anymore!

raid5read.jpg

rain5slowtransfer.jpg

Are these results OK? Both are SATA drives with no RAID or anything.

The boot drive is 4 years old, the storage one is 2 years old

Boot drive = 92% used Storage drive = 98% used
6t2sde.png

Thanks for any help

Also.. my storage drive has been reverting back to PIO mode even with all the fixes and stuff ive done.. is it going to completely die soon? Its happened on 2 sata ports already.. even on one that I use all the time

Last edited:
2x Intel x18m 80gb Raid 0. These are a couple of the Dane-elec drives from the Newegg sale. Running on a EVGA P55

New%20Picture%20(1).jpg

Windows & Main Apps

Workspace

Storage

Buahahaha :D

Last edited:
Back