You graphics card progression

For the people here that go though many GPUs/CPUs every year, what do you do with your old hardware when you upgrade? Do you just sell them on ebay/craigslist, keep them around as souvenirs, give them away, throw them away, something else?

Most of my old hardware gets given away to friends/family or sold to them for really cheap.

I've probably build 5-6 complete computers from my old parts and from parts I've salvaged from systems given to me and given them away.

Back in the day I traded my 486dx2-66 system for my very first car and a parts car - it was a 1980 Pontiac Sunbird with a trashed engine. The car got totaled 1200 miles after I rebuilt the engine due to a full size FORD truck pulling out in front of me. Drove the car until the tranny blew and I kept the engine when I finally hauled the car to the scrap metal yard.

Super torquey little engine. I could make huge clouds of rubber smoke with that thing.. and I onldy did a few "minor" mods to it when I rebuilt it.... anyhow.. back on topic -

I do keep a few boxes as well for parts and I usually end up giving the parts to friends / family when they end up needing something I have laying around.
 
S3 Trio 1MB
Orchid Righteous 3DFX Voodoo 16MB
3DFX Banshee
GeForce 256 Pro
Geforce 2 MX/400
ATi 9700 Pro
ATi x700
ATi x800
EVGA 2x260 SLi.
 
nvidia 6300SE
nvidia 7600GT 512
nvidia 7600GT 512 SLI
8800 GTX + 7600 GT
GTX 280 + 7600 GT
GTX 280 SLI + 7600 GT

in the course of about 4 years
 
Diamond Monster3d Voodoo1 - bought at CompUSA
OEM Riva TNT (2 Ultra, IIRC) - Gateway OEM
GF2 MX (400?) - Best Buy?
GF3 Ti200 - no idea.. BB?
GF 6800nu AGP - BFG? - CompUSA Black Friday
GF 6600gt - had a bunch of these in my LAN center - Newegg
GF 7600gt
Radeon x1900gt (pro?) - hot deal at Circuit City
Radeon 3450 - Newegg
Radeon 4970 - Sapphire - Newegg
Radeon 4950x2 2gb - Sapphire - Newegg

Pretty much in chronological order.

List doesn't include the onboard stuff on my Apple laptops...
 
Last edited:
Riva TNT2 Ultra -> GeForce 3 Ti 200 -> GeForce 8800GT (huge gap, lol) -> GeForce GTX260
 
Voodoo2 SLI
Geforce 2 64MB
Radeon 9600 XT
Radeon X1950 Pro
Radeon 3870X2
Geforce 9800 GTX+
Geforce GTX 275

You can sorta tell when I started to get older, had a job, and had money to spend. I think out of all of them, I have the fondest memories of the Radeon 9600 XT. That thing overclocked like hell on air and beat out 2 generations of Nvidia cards for performance and image quality. I remember playing Halo PC and F.E.A.R on it with a lowly 1.8GhZ Celery and 512MB of DDR-266. In comparison to today's rig, its nothing special, but back then that was an amazing feat lol.
 
Nvidia 6600GT 128MB -> Nvidia 7800GT 256MB -> Nvidia 6600GT 128MB -> Nvidia GTX280 1GB

=D I felt the jump.
 
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
Hercules 3d Prophet 2 GTS (Geforce 2 GTS)
Elsa Geforce 2 Ultra
Ati Radeon 8500LE
Ati Radeon 9500
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro
Evga Geforce 6800GT
Ati Radeon x850xt PE
Ati Radeon x1800xt/x1900xtx
Evga Geforce 8800GTS 640mb
Ati Radeon 4870 512mb
BFG Geforce GTX285OC
 
Back
Top