• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

XFX Rma nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you use a grounding strap when installing parts in your computer?
 
Wow, this would make a better movie than most of the crap H'would is putting out. What a soap opera.
One thing I get from this is that I will stay away from XFX

Or Id take it that his PSU is on the fritz, or his wall outlet is not providing clean power, or his motherboard is toast.

Im sorry, but after everything that has happened to this guy and his card, I doubt that this is ALL on XFX.

IF XFX RMAs this card, you should NOT keep putting the new received card into your system. Install it in a known good system like a friends that doesnt burn through hardware BEFORE putting it into yours . Im sorry to say but there is SOMETHING fucked in your PC and until you figure out what the hell it is, your going to stack up quite a few dead cards in XFX's RMA return facility.

If you try to hammer a nail and keep hitting your hand during every attempt, at some point you need to realize it isnt the hammer OR the nail thats bloodying up your hand.

EDIT: I rarely use a ground strap installing video cards and such. I just always make sure I ground myself before I touch something in the case, and before I grab a part to put into my system. never had an issue yet.
 
Last edited:
Nope I like to lick the connectors and chase my kids around the carpet just for good luck before I install them.:)

that's what I thought lol. You would be suprised what kind of damage you can cause by simply touch components without a grounding strap. But do you use them is the question.
 
Nope I like to lick the connectors and chase my kids around the carpet just for good luck before I install them.:)

LMFAO:D

My heart goes out to you on this fiasco. I'm getting ready to set my first I7 system and I have 2 new (hopefully problem free) XFX 5850 sitting around waiting to be used. Hopefully I won't be starting another thread mirroring your experiences.:(
 
Or Id take it that his PSU is on the fritz, or his wall outlet is not providing clean power, or his motherboard is toast.

Im sorry, but after everything that has happened to this guy and his card, I doubt that this is ALL on XFX.

IF XFX RMAs this card, you should NOT keep putting that card into your system. Install it in a known good system like a friends that doesnt burn through hardware BEFORE putting it into yours . Im sorry to say but there is SOMETHING fucked in your PC and until you figure out what the hell it is, your going to stack up quite a few dead cards in XFX's RMA return facility.

If you try to hammer a nail and keep hitting your hand during every attempt, at some point you need to realize it isnt the hammer OR the nail thats bloodying up your hand.

EDIT: I rarely use a ground strap installing video cards and such. I just always make sure I ground myself after I touch something in the case, and before I grab a part to put into my system. never had an issue yet.

Let me fill you in on some information. I'm a former hardware reviewer that’s built hundreds of different configurations as test beds. I also have worked in a data center pulling and replacing hardware components all day long. The system ran one XFX 5870 just fine until I sold it to a forum member expecting the rma to work out fine on the second one. If you would bother to read up farther you would also see the card was tested on multiple systems, and the system in question ran a different XFX 5870 just fine in conjunction with running other Nvidia cards fine as well. What this amounts to is some crappy quality control testing on their refurbished cards, and FedEx not doing their job properly as well. However, thanks for trying to point the finger at me.
 
Thanks for being hostile? Im a Senior (soon to be Master) Lexus certified mechanic. Ive had more than my fair share of engines out and disassembled, transmissions/transfer cases/rear ends out, hydraulic suspension systems fixed, electrical nightmares, EVAP failures, engine management malfunctions, squeaks, rattles, easy money services, maddeningly frustrating warranty repairs, run flat tires, truck tires.... the list goes on.

Ive dealt with alot of issues professionally and through each lesson, I gain MORE knowledge about my job and my product line. However, that doesnt mean that I will NEVER make a mistake on a diagnosis or screw something up during a repair attempt. It means I SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO LOOK PAST THE BASICS OF DIAGNOSING AN ISSUE.

Im sorry I razzled your feathers there son, but Ive seen more than a few people look past the basics in my line of work REGARDLESS of time in field or credentials, myself included, and in the end their own arrogance kicked their ass. Im sure MUCH of the diagnostic process transfers to computers.

Could it be that XFX for the last 4 cards dropped the ball on quality control? Possibly. Not defending XFX OR you, but trying to objectively analyze the situation. Crappy QC or not, it doesnt seem possible that 3 cards in a row in your physical possesion (that you purchased new or RMAed) are jacked up.

Could it be that FedEx dropped the ball and damaged the contents of packages in the process of delivering them? Yeah of course, I think ANYONE thats had anything shipped to them at one time or another has had a package arrive messed up.

Seriously though, I could care less if you were the chief architect of every single GPU design for the past 10 years. That doesnt mean you couldnt have made a mistake in diagnosing the issue. People mess up, and people certainly can overlook the small things if a problem rears its head. But to get all mad that someone would DARE imply that, with your experience, you might be at fault here or overlooking a malfunctioning component in your system says alot. The only information that we are given are bits of information that are relayed by you to us here on this forum.

Im very sorry to hear that your having issues with your video cards and that the RMA process has been crappy. Just hearing the series of events is horrible seeing as how Im looking at a new video card within the next two months.

Good luck sir and I hope that your issue gets resolved.
 
Thanks for being hostile? Im a Senior (soon to be Master) Lexus certified mechanic. Ive had more than my fair share of engines out and disassembled, transmissions/transfer cases/rear ends out, hydraulic suspension systems fixed, electrical nightmares, EVAP failures, engine management malfunctions, squeaks, rattles, easy money services, maddeningly frustrating warranty repairs, run flat tires, truck tires.... the list goes on.

Ive dealt with alot of issues professionally and through each lesson, I gain MORE knowledge about my job and my product line. However, that doesnt mean that I will NEVER make a mistake on a diagnosis or screw something up during a repair attempt. It means I SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO LOOK PAST THE BASICS OF DIAGNOSING AN ISSUE.

Im sorry I razzled your feathers there son, but Ive seen more than a few people look past the basics in my line of work REGARDLESS of time in field or credentials, myself included, and in the end their own arrogance kicked their ass. Im sure MUCH of the diagnostic process transfers to computers.

Could it be that XFX for the last 4 cards dropped the ball on quality control? Possibly. Not defending XFX OR you, but trying to objectively analyze the situation. Crappy QC or not, it doesnt seem possible that 3 cards in a row in your physical possesion (that you purchased new or RMAed) are jacked up.

Could it be that FedEx dropped the ball and damaged the contents of packages in the process of delivering them? Yeah of course, I think ANYONE thats had anything shipped to them at one time or another has had a package arrive messed up.

Seriously though, I could care less if you were the chief architect of every single GPU design for the past 10 years. That doesnt mean you couldnt have made a mistake in diagnosing the issue. People mess up, and people certainly can overlook the small things if a problem rears its head. But to get all mad that someone would DARE imply that, with your experience, you might be at fault here or overlooking a malfunctioning component in your system says alot. The only information that we are given are bits of information that are relayed by you to us here on this forum.

Im very sorry to hear that your having issues with your video cards and that the RMA process has been crappy. Just hearing the series of events is horrible seeing as how Im looking at a new video card within the next two months.

Good luck sir and I hope that your issue gets resolved.

I wasn't mad I was simply replying to your statement....you accused me of being the cause of the issue. I informed you I was not. Also informed you troubleshooting of the issue had taken place. The only one with ruffled feathers seems to be you. One card arrived in perfect working condition and continues to work perfect for someone else. The other card did not. Only two RMA’s made it into my passion. They do not function properly. Good day. ;)
 
There's far too much anger throughout such a simple thread. Some of you assholes need to stop attacking the OP, and in turn, I think the OP needs to relax a bit when replying to some of the posts, I think you're starting to get a bit TOO defensive.

/$.02
 
Honestly, Im not mad in anyway, but Im am trying to shed some light on the issue here from the standpoint of being in the business of repairing failed systems. I would personally start to suspect everything.

@op: It may be time to talk with the XFX CSR and have them get a local IT guy that they may contract with out to your system. Have XFX send the RMA card (be it refurbed or new) to them. Let the independent firm inspect/install the replacement card in the system and let THEM analyze the problem should the latest card show signs off issue as well. At this point its the only fair way to figure out what is at fault and what needs to be remedied to solve the problem.
 
Honestly, Im not mad in anyway, but Im am trying to shed some light on the issue here from the standpoint of being in the business of repairing failed systems. I would personally start to suspect everything.

@op: It may be time to talk with the XFX CSR and have them get a local IT guy that they may contract with out to your system. Have XFX send the RMA card (be it refurbed or new) to them. Let the independent firm inspect/install the replacement card in the system and let THEM analyze the problem should the latest card show signs off issue as well. At this point its the only fair way to figure out what is at fault and what needs to be remedied to solve the problem.

As I already stated a XFX 5870 ran fine in this system. In fact it was in place for about a month until I sold it to a forum member. The second card I originally purchased to run crossfire, but it arrived with the GSOD issue. I then deemed crossfire unnecessary and sold the first card in anticipation of the second arriving back from RMA. Then the nightmare began lol. Yes I agree it’s almost comical at this point. I don’t need an independent contractor, I just need a working replacement in my hands.

Also, I'm not angry either. It’s all in how someone wants to interrupt tone with words typed on a screen.
 
What would be the most equitable solution to get this over and done with for both parties is for the OP to send his 3rd artifacting card back to XFX, have them test it for artifacting, and then for XFX to offer him a refund of the purchase price.
 
Also, if I were you guys, I would PM Kyle to see if he can do anything... besides they only run ads through [H]ardocp and have no affiliation.
 
I truly am sorry to hear this card is causing you issues. Because of how unique this case is, and the fact it was a replacement for a replacement, we did make sure the unit that went out to you was thoroughly tested in our facility the day before we shipped it to you. If something happened to the card from the time it was tested to the time it got into your system then I again apologize. I will have one of our Technical Support representatives call you sometime today.
 
I truly am sorry to hear this card is causing you issues. Because of how unique this case is, and the fact it was a replacement for a replacement, we did make sure the unit that went out to you was thoroughly tested in our facility the day before we shipped it to you. If something happened to the card from the time it was tested to the time it got into your system then I again apologize. I will have one of our Technical Support representatives call you sometime today.

I don't think XFX has anything or anyone to apologize to, including the OP. I think it was unreasonable to even provide the OP with a replacement, and I don't think H is the proper platform for XFX to deal with their customers. Basically the OP used this forum to give bad publicity to XFX to get his way. XFX just gave this guy a free 5870, when the real issue was with a possible internal theft with FedEx, or theft of a package, or wrong delivery. You should of called the Police. For all we know, the OP has two 5870s...the one he signed for, and the replacement XFX sent him. Just saying, not attacking the OP, but either the OP is the unluckiest person in the world, or he himself is committing fraud.

You have to put yourself in the position of XFX. If you send something on ebay to someone...and they don't get it...but tracking shows it was delivered...and someone indeed signed for it...are you really going to spend your own money and buy a replacement item? No you wouldn't...certainly no reasonable person would.
 
I don't think XFX has anything or anyone to apologize to, including the OP. I think it was unreasonable to even provide the OP with a replacement, and I don't think H is the proper platform for XFX to deal with their customers. Basically the OP used this forum to give bad publicity to XFX to get his way. XFX just gave this guy a free 5870, when the real issue was with a possible internal theft with FedEx, or theft of a package, or wrong delivery. You should of called the Police. For all we know, the OP has two 5870s...the one he signed for, and the replacement XFX sent him. Just saying, not attacking the OP, but either the OP is the unluckiest person in the world, or he himself is committing fraud.

You have to put yourself in the position of XFX. If you send something on ebay to someone...and they don't get it...but tracking shows it was delivered...and someone indeed signed for it...are you really going to spend your own money and buy a replacement item? No you wouldn't...certainly no reasonable person would.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of XFX, XFX is a fairly large corporation, and has a reputation to uphold, even if the OP is committing fraud, without any proof, rather then put their customer through a ring of fire and alienate him, losing many future customers in the process, they did the best thing any company in their position could. Help their customer, and keep them happy.

the small loss XFX suffered which might even be recouped from Fedex, is nothing compared to the large number of people they would have lost future revenue from.
 
I think that this is not something that can, or should be discussed in an open forum. We are all comming to conclusions based on hearsay. This is a true case of the seven blind men with the Elephant. None of us has anywhere near enough FACTS to judge what really happened and we can damage an innocent party by reaching an incorrect conclusion based on less than acurate information.
I do know (and speaking only about myself) that I have been in advanced electronics since I studied thermionic emission devices (vacuum tube theory) when studying for my EE back in the 60's I have built Ham Radio rigs and computers and lots in between. I have been in circuit desighn and manufacturing all my life but still, I do screw up and I have misdiagnosed my share of tech issues over the years.
Is it the GPU company, is it the shipping company, is it the user, is it a 3rd party, how do we know?, we don't!
 
You have to put yourself in the shoes of XFX, XFX is a fairly large corporation, and has a reputation to uphold, even if the OP is committing fraud, without any proof, rather then put their customer through a ring of fire and alienate him, losing many future customers in the process, they did the best thing any company in their position could. Help their customer, and keep them happy.

the small loss XFX suffered which might even be recouped from Fedex, is nothing compared to the large number of people they would have lost future revenue from.

.

Couldn't have said it better. XFX did the only thing it could in this case , this forum may only be a small fraction of the users that buy video cards but theres alot of people here with deep pockets that are more than happy to support the right company.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top