XFX Rma nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
FedEx does not operate over the weekend for any of my shipments...bottom line I was told Monday and they missed that by quite a bit. But yeah I assumed that was over night by what I was told...but they didn't even hold true to what I was told. So maybe you just need to bug out of this thread uhhhhh bro...

Huh. I have ordered from newegg/tigerdirect/frozencpu and amazon and I use Fedex everytime.

I have never once asked for weekend shipping, but I have had numerous packages delivered to me on Satuday (without paying extra).

Not sure why I get weekend delivery and you dont?

^^^ because you get home delivery exclusively for residential property which means fedex employs local contractors to deliver (lower costs) and they do free saturday shipping. with ground service, fedex has its own drivers and they do not delivery on saturdays.

sometimes your sender will give you home delivery and sometimes ground shipping hence the difference in saturday delivery.

^^^ because you get home delivery exclusively for residential property which means fedex employs local contractors to deliver (lower costs) and they do free saturday shipping. with ground service, fedex has its own drivers and they do not delivery on saturdays.

sometimes your sender will give you home delivery and sometimes ground shipping hence the difference in saturday delivery.

So they pay other people to drive Fedex trucks on Saturday to deliver packages?

I mean they come in normal Fedex trucks......thats pretty frickin odd to me if they used local contractors, and let them use fedex trucks.

^^^ well i'm not exactly sure how they work but sometimes i'll get a fedex home delivery truck deliver my package whereas othertimes i'll get a truck from a rental company like ryder. it seems to me that in your local area it is the fedex driver but it does vary from region.

So they pay other people to drive Fedex trucks on Saturday to deliver packages?

I mean they come in normal Fedex trucks......thats pretty frickin odd to me if they used local contractors, and let them use fedex trucks.

Arent Fedex drivers independent contractors ?!

Tracking information is only updated when the package is scanned at the various check points to its destination. I wouldn't argue that it proves a package was delivered. The signature, on the other hand, is "proof" but refutable if the claimant can prove there was a forgery. I've attached an affidavit earlier in this thread for that purpose. I'm no lawyer, but I deal with fraud/forgeries on a daily basis at my work.

I don't see how the above example is relevant. Are you referring to a shipment of a payment voucher? Apples and oranges.

wow spartan is pretty wack! All you need to do is have your gf sign for the package and then he will send you another item! nice to know. I know the delivery guys know me by name and have my address memorized so if you asked them they would prob even remember who they delivered it to. I have to say ive never once signed a legible signature from the 2000 times ive signed for a package, ups asks for your name depending where they delivering to.

Arent Fedex drivers independent contractors ?!

FedEx ground feeder drivers (guys who drive the big rigs) are contractors. Package delivery guys may or may not be. Sometimes they will make deliveries in rental trucks if the package cars are in the shop. Our FedEx Air guy at work will show up in a Ryder box truck occassionaly if he borks something on his package car.

Also, FedEx Home delivers from Tues-Sat. So that is why some of you are getting packages delivered on Saturday.

This issue is not FedEx's fault. Blame XFX and their shit sales rep who can't even be bothered to man up and admit he fucked something up. I should add that I would've just had the card sent to work or a third party address (parents? friends? wifes parents?) if there was any question about being there to accept delivery.

Said before and I will say it again. One I started the RMA well over a month ago. Two the first card was DOA thus the need for yet another RMA stretching out the timeline, three I didn't know I would have to move as soon as I did. So this point in invalid.
Fair enough. But you knew the second one was being shipped 3 business days before you moved. Friend/family/work address would have been better.

Fair enough. But you knew the second one was being shipped 3 business days before you moved. Friend/family/work address would have been better.

Definitely agree on using another ship to like work where someone is always there to take delivery. But changing your ship to address at the last minute is a different story. I don't know about XFX, but when I tried to change my RMA shipping address from home to work for an EVGA RMA, it wasn't easy to get the request put through. And even after it went through, it still was sent to my home address.:mad:

Except that I told them the day I was moving and asked should I wait, they insisted it wouldn't be a problem.

Huh? It has nothing whatsoever to do with XFX, no matter what promises were made. As soon as XFX sent the card in the mail 100% of the responsibility for that card being properly delivered was put in the hands of Fed Ex.

So you're telling me that if you sold a card on e-bay, and said to a guy, "I'll ship that card out to you tonight," and then sent the card via Fed-ex, who then dropped the card off at the wrong location, you'd take responsibility and buy a new card?

Um, no you wouldn't.

What you'd do is bitch like crazy to Fed-ex. You're not going to pony up five hundred dollars for a mistake made by some damned Fed-ex driver. And neither should XFX.
The customer didn't contract FedEx. The customer was in dealings with XFX. FedEx was XFX's agent for delivery. Ultimate responsibility falls on XFX. XFX choosing to believe FedEx's claims over the customer is essentially XFX choosing to believe an internal employee's word over a customer. They do it at their own peril. It doesn't dissolve them of accountability.

The customer didn't contract FedEx. The customer was in dealings with XFX. FedEx was XFX's agent for delivery. Ultimate responsibility falls on XFX. XFX choosing to believe FedEx's claims over the customer is essentially XFX choosing to believe an internal employee's word over a customer. They do it at their own peril. It doesn't dissolve them of accountability.

So if the same thing had happened with you sending a video card to a person who had bought yours through E-Bay then you would go to the store and buy a new $500 video card and send it to the guy?

I don't believe that for one second.

First of all, you'd be stunned that the guy gave you an address and then moved. Then you'd be mad as hell with the Fed Ex driver for apparently just giving away the card. No way would you say, "Oh, I guess it's my fault that this buyer made it difficult for me by moving house while I was trying to ship him the card... and clearly it was my fault that the Fed-Ex driver gave the card to the wrong person... I'll be buying a $500 card today and sending it off to the guy... sure hope the same thing doesn't happen again."

Wrong. You'd be filling a complaint with E-Bay, and also with Fed Ex - you'd be doing everything in your power to make it so that the blame would be shifted onto one of the other two parties, because clearly you had nothing to do with it.

I doubt very much that you, or anybody else at this forum, given such a circumstance, would rush to the store and purchase a new card and send it to a person who clearly made the transaction a difficult one. And, quite frankly, I have my doubts that XFX is going to feel any different (although they might take more notice now, knowing that a person running a review website has involved himself - but, again, clearly that would be special treatment, which wouldn't be of much use to the rest of XFX's customers).

So if the same thing had happened with you sending a video card to a person who had bought yours through E-Bay then you would go to the store and buy a new $500 video card and send it to the guy?

First of all, you'd be stunned that the guy gave you an address and then moved. Then you'd be mad as hell with the Fed Ex driver for apparently just giving away the card. No way would you say, "Oh, I guess it's my fault that this buyer made it difficult for me by moving house while I was trying to ship him the card... and clearly it was my fault that the Fed-Ex driver gave the card to the wrong person... I'll be buying a $500 card today and sending it off to the guy... sure hope the same thing doesn't happen again."

Wrong. You'd be filling a complaint with E-Bay, and also with Fed Ex - you'd be doing everything in your power to make it so that the blame would be shifted onto one of the other two parties, because clearly you had nothing to do with it.

I doubt very much that you, or anybody else at this forum, given such a circumstance, would rush to the store and purchase a new card and send it to a person who clearly made the transaction a difficult one. And, quite frankly, I have my doubts that XFX is going to feel any different (although they might take more notice now, knowing that a person running a review website has involved himself - but, again, clearly that would be special treatment, which wouldn't be of much use to the rest of XFX's customers).

Since it never reached the hands of the buyer it is the sellers responsibility to file the claim with FedEx as the seller is who has the contract with them to make the delivery and collect the insurance if FedEx screws up. So yes if it was a private sale the seller would still be responsible.

I would refund the money to the buyer and file MY claim with my shipping company because I would have insurance. My responsibility is to make sure the buyer receives his/her merchandise into their hands, not pawn off that responsibility if something goes wrong. I do a refund, I get my money back because of insurance.

I would refund the money to the buyer and file MY claim with my shipping company because I would have insurance. My responsibility is to make sure the buyer receives his/her merchandise into their hands, not pawn off that responsibility if something goes wrong. I do a refund, I get my money back because of insurance.
Problem here is fedex has a signature of the recepient indicating it was delivered. Only way someone could get fedex to issue a claim is if the recepient had valid proof that it was not his signature and it was not possible for him to be present of the time of the exchange.

Being the sender there would be no way for me to acquire that information to proove otherwise. This ownership would be with the buyer to proove the signature was not valid. Any statement from the receiver, without evidence, would be considered Hearsay. The only evidence is this situation is the tracking with signature confirmation. Paypal even uses this method to determine the recepient received the product.

Delivery confirmation and tracking alone does not imply received, however Signature confirmation does. Below are the Amazon and Paypal TOS. In short if you request direct signature confirmation, and you get one, they consider the item delivered.

Paypal TOS:

3. Shipment requirements

PayPal requires you obtain proof of shipment and/or proof of delivery - what you need depends on what kind of dispute is filed. To cover yourself against claims of unauthorized payment, you need mere proof of shipment. For example, UPS tracking showing package pickup, or a receipt from the PO. The proof may be physical (e.e.g, paper) or digital (e.e., e/DC status). The proof must show the buyer's city and state or zip code at minimum.

If you want coverage against claims of nonreceipt, you need proof of delivery. This must be available online (e.g., e/DC showing delivery or UPS tracking showing delivery). The proof must contain the buyer's city and state or zip code at minimum.

If the total combined payment (item price + shipping + handling + insurance) is $250 or more, you MUST get a signature upon delivery. If not, you WILL lose an INR claim. For shipping via USPS, get Signature Confirmation (SC). For the other 3 carriers, request a signature.

AMAZON TOS:

Product(s) Shipped with Signature Confirmation Tracking Tracking Shows Delivery and Buyer Claims Item Not Received
If the name on the signature confirmation matches the buyer, the A-to-z Guarantee team will deny the claim. If signature confirmation does not match the buyer, the A-to-z Guarantee team will deny the claim and ask the buyer to follow-up with the individual that signed for the package. Guarantee claims for packages that are signed for by a freight forwarder or an agent of the buyer (e.g. receptionist, family member) will be denied. However, if an investigation determines that the customer did not receive the order due to a shipping error beyond his or her control, the seller may be held liable. We anticipate that this would be a very rare occurrence

Last edited:
"If the name on the signature confirmation matches the buyer,"
This right here in this case, would nullify your argument as the signature given is a squiggle and no name was given to match the buyer due to the fedex driver leaving it on a doorstep without anyone home. This would allow for a claim against Fed-ex insurance, thus allowing the seller to refund the buyer while making sure the seller will also get his/her money back.

I agree tracking is not proof by itself, but if you have signature confirmation as well I'm unsure how the buyer can proove otherwise that he did not receive it. He would have to prove that his signature was not his, have proof he was at another location at the time that it was signed, and etc. The Seller has all the evidence on his side with very little on the buyer.

As to the second question, not as to payment, but proof the documents were delivered to the destination.

I'm not a lawyer either, but trying to take a look at both sides. It appears some people believe "direct signature confirmation" does not equal delivery. I believe it does unless the buyer can proove otherwise, outside of just verbal.

Obviously there is more to a transaction than tracking with signature confirmation, and the responsibility of the seller should not end there. It should match the listing, condition as described, well package, and adhere to the conditions of the sale (example DOA warranty and etc). However, I think tracking with signature is the standard as proof the item was delivered.

Crap happens and I'm more concerned with the business practices of Fedex than I am with XFX in this case. If anything, if it were HIS or Saphire I'm sure the OP would still be waiting on the first replacement.

It's not that I have no remorse for the op. I had similar issue with going out of town and getting a replacement part from Dell. I hesitated requesting the replacement for this very reason, but figured I would get it out of the way before the trip. I did request that they delay shipment until the following week as I would be out of town. The rep indicated this would not be an issue as they ship ground with 5-7 days, so even if they shipped on monday the soonest it would arrive is the following monday. When I returned from my trip I found a water logged box sitting in front of my door that contained my replacement motherboard. Looking at tracking I verified it was shipped ground, but from a local distribution center, so it was delivered on Tuesday and sat there for 6 days in the rain.

Was I pissed? Yes, but a the same time I should of known better than to rely on a CS agent following a script to put my concerns first.

I don't fault the OP as it appears he did everything he could to avoid it after realizing the shipping method. Fedex dropped the ball by not holding his package as he requested. If the signature confirmation was not requested by XFX, I believe we would all agree XFX would be the responsible party. However, the signature was requested and fedex obtained one.

XFX is going above what is necessary in this case to replace this part that shows it was delivered with a signature. For a large company I belive this is great customer service, but I don't agree with the opinion that this is a standard with individual buyer/seller transactions.

I have a hard time thinking anyone in the For Sale forum in XFX's position would buy another HD5870 to send to the buyer if they had tracking and direct signature confirmation. I would work with the buyer, but unfortunately unless he can prove that was not his signature with fedex (ie at work with witnesses) I'm afraid one of us would be SOL. I know if paypal was contacted they would side with the seller in this case. I hope it never happens and I would hate to be on the buying end of that transaction, but if I were I would definetly get all the evidence I could to proove otherwise.

First of all I didn't buy HIS or Sapphire because I was spending more for the supposed legendary service of XFX. Secondly, I have all the proof in the world, read the thread I have a statement from the apt complex manager stating I had vacated the residence. Love to see how your tune would change if this was on your hands.

"If the name on the signature confirmation matches the buyer,"
This right here in this case, would nullify your argument as the signature given is a squiggle and no name was given to match the buyer due to the fedex driver leaving it on a doorstep without anyone home. This would allow for a claim against Fed-ex insurance, thus allowing the seller to refund the buyer while making sure the seller will also get his/her money back.
What proof is there to dispute that this is not his signature? Obviously, that would be the information the recepient would need to proove otherwise. IF you look at the tracking information the name is listed with the signature. If you look at the amazon TOS it doesn't even need to be his, just someone in the household. Just read one additional sentence further:
If signature confirmation does not match the buyer, the A-to-z Guarantee team will deny the claim and ask the buyer to follow-up with the individual that signed for the package.

First of all I didn't buy HIS or Sapphire because I was spending more for the supposed legendary service of XFX. Secondly, I have all the proof in the world, read the thread I have a statement from the apt complex manager stating I had vacated the residence. Love to see how your tune would change if this was on your hands.
If I was the op, I would provide an affidavid I was at X place (example work), get witnesses with signatures and have it notorized, at the time fedex claimed it was signed for. Submit that to XFX and fedex. There's your proof.

Simply telling someone that someone else verified you were not there is not proof. The one that dropped the ball is Fedex. XFX did what any other merchant would do if they had signature confirmation.

Does the situation suck? Yes, it does and I'm not saying it doesn't. You have options to prove it was not delivered and that was not your signature. However, that is evidence that you should provide and not the sender.

For the statements "I'm sure your tune would change if I was in the same situation", I have done numerous trades and understand the rules. I already stated what I would do if it were me and in the same situation.

Glad your getting another card after your difficulties. Going through multiple RMAs is a problem. If people do not want to trade with me because I follow the guidelines that Amazon and Paypal enforce to show delivery (signature confirmation) so be it. I would still work with the buyer (which XFX failed to do I admit), but the buyer needs to provide the same information I would do in a similar situation following approved methods. Simple hearsay is not evidence.

Last edited:
The lesson here seems to be that if you're going to move, and you've got an expensive computer part that's going to be sent back to you, make sure you have the part sent to a family member, friend, or close neighbor - that way you won't have to go through all this.

Seriously? Holding up a Fedex guy at gunpoint? You've got some swinging brass ones, that's for sure!

What proof is there to dispute that this is not his signature? Obviously, that would be the information the recepient would need to proove otherwise. IF you look at the tracking information the name is listed with the signature. If you look at the amazon TOS it doesn't even need to be his, just someone in the household. Just read one additional sentence further:
If signature confirmation does not match the buyer, the A-to-z Guarantee team will deny the claim and ask the buyer to follow-up with the individual that signed for the package.

If I was the op, I would provide an affidavid I was at X place (example work), get witnesses with signatures and have it notorized, at the time fedex claimed it was signed for. Submit that to XFX and fedex. There's your proof.

Simply telling someone that someone else verified you were not there is not proof. The one that dropped the ball is Fedex. XFX did what any other merchant would do if they had signature confirmation.

Does the situation suck? Yes, it does and I'm not saying it doesn't. You have options to prove it was not delivered and that was not your signature. However, that is evidence that you should provide and not the sender.

For the statements "I'm sure your tune would change if I was in the same situation", I have done numerous trades and understand the rules. I already stated what I would do if it were me and in the same situation.

Glad your getting another card after your difficulties. Going through multiple RMAs is a problem. If people do not want to trade with me because I follow the guidelines that Amazon and Paypal enforce to show delivery (signature confirmation) so be it. I would still work with the buyer (which XFX failed to do I admit), but the buyer needs to provide the same information I would do in a similar situation following approved methods. Simple hearsay is not evidence.

I didn't simply tell someone, I have a statement that I no longer had legal possession of the residence. The name is also not even spelled correctly on the tracking. Its not simply hearsay. I provided XFX with the statement from the complex manager with all the contact information in the world on it so they could contact him as well. Get off your high horse already.

I wonder if you could by chance identify the driver and have Fedex do a check on the guys signatures to see if he's signed anyone else's name similar

Well after reading this and the poor support I get from them now I know I won't be buying an XFX card again.

I have a 5770 from XFX that was "GSOD"ing on Win7x64, they told me to uninstall my audio drivers. I did better, I went to XP and it artifacts on XP with any driver in. Can't get them to RMA it.

Wouldn't it be cool if people from these companies hung out at forums such as this, and provided explanations. How many enthusiast forums are there? Not very many, I'll bet. The only other one I tend to visit is Tom's Hardware forum.

I mean, yeah, sure, every now and then a guy from some company will come in here and say, hi, I'm Greg from BFG, or what have you, but they never really add anything of substance, and usually they buzz off pretty quickly. I mean, we're congenial people. We wouldn't rip the guy apart if he ever said something we didn't agree with... heh, heh, heh.

Just because you'd keep the guy's money if the Company YOU HIRED fucked up, doesn't make it right. No if they chose their own shipping and did a pickup, then the problem would be on them. And then I'd sell it for less too.

First
1) I wouldn't have lied about the shipping to get the dude off the phone.

2) I'm not a store or supplier so my options are different. But if FedEx dropped the ball and I didn't want to be a douche as a seller (aka cared my selling reputation), I would have refunded the bidder/purchaser with apologies and gone after FedEx within my ability to do so. I would like to think that's what I'd be inclined to do even if I didn't care about my ebay rep. Or, at the minimum I would disclaimer that once its ships its no longer my concern. And you can reverse the obligation on shipping with Fed Ex too before it ships, I believe.

I'm not a major customer like FedEx so I could only do so much. But I would just have to suck it up. I can get more money off ebay for such a sale and the associated risk for such a sale are shipping screw ups. Just like XFX offers personalized shipping to be more appealing to customers, they have to suck up the risks.

Just because you would crutch on the "shipper did it" excuse to justify keeping your money doesn't mean you're not accountable. YOU hired that company. If they supplied the shipping and did a pickup, I wouldn't feel obligated and I would also sell it for less as well.

Last edited:
wow spartan is pretty wack! All you need to do is have your gf sign for the package and then he will send you another item! nice to know. I know the delivery guys know me by name and have my address memorized so if you asked them they would prob even remember who they delivered it to. I have to say ive never once signed a legible signature from the 2000 times ive signed for a package, ups asks for your name depending where they delivering to.

wow aweusx2 is pretty whack! :rolleyes:

See irrelevant conclusion. kthnxbye

I have to say ive never once signed a legible signature from the 2000 times ive signed for a package, ups asks for your name depending where they delivering to.

Me either, but it still matches all my ID. (I call it my chicken scratches vs signature.) Such terrible hand writing I have.

Has XFX personally responded to the OP yet? Is a resolution in progress? What's the status?

I have two tickets into XFX right now for 5850 GSOD issues that I have been experiencing over the last few months... I am hoping their support staff will resolve this injustice for the OP and RMA my card properly too :( ...

-Z

Has XFX personally responded to the OP yet? Is a resolution in progress? What's the status?

I have two tickets into XFX right now for 5850 GSOD issues that I have been experiencing over the last few months... I am hoping their support staff will resolve this injustice for the OP and RMA my card properly too :( ...

-Z

I did not have a problem with My Card. I Followed the exact instructions on the PDF file. I even had to update my zip code, because I had the wrong one in there.

XFX Accepted my RMA. and shipped it out, and I got it delivered today! (weekend service again).

So far so good :) No GSOD in any game anymore.

I would have to say I have had nothing but the best Experience RMAing my 5870. I had even had to update my address and it was not a problem.

I would say do not worry about XFX and the Lifetime Warrenty. This was just 1 isolated incedent is all, because to me the RMA service was top notch :)

I would say do not worry about XFX and the Lifetime Warrenty. This was just 1 isolated incedent is all, because to me the RMA service was top notch :)
QFT. How many times have you really seen threads about good RMAs? The only reason people start threads like this is they have a bad experience. RMA rates are very low and the number of people that have problems with RMAs from XFX/BFG/EVGA are orders of magnitude lower.

I had an XFX RMA that I would say went well. Started out with getting a DOA card for the RMA return but I sent that back in as another RMA and XFX ended up sending me a 9800GTX to replace my 8800GT which is a 2x improvement in market price for what they are worth these days).

New update. Got the RMA card today. Installed the card right away. I had video on boot and was getting excited that I might be able to finally game again. However, after drivers were installed in started to artifact like crazy with horizontal lines of corruption on just the desktop alone. Soon as I fired dragon age it had bad artifacting horizontal lines for a bit and then crashed the whole system.

The RMA count so far:
1. First card DOA
2. Second card lost in shipment.
3. Third card artifacting like crazy just on the desktop.

I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at this point.

New update. Got the RMA card today. Installed the card right away. I had video on boot and was getting excited that I might be able to finally game again. However, after drivers were installed in started to artifact like crazy with horizontal lines of corruption on just the desktop alone. Soon as I fired dragon age it had bad artifacting horizontal lines for a bit and then crashed the whole system.

The RMA count so far:
1. First card DOA
2. Second card lost in shipment.
3. Third card artifacting like crazy just on the desktop.

I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at this point.

So are the rest of us.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your system?
Did you do a driver sweep to remove all old drivers?
It didn't artifact before you installed drivers correct? What drivers did you use? XP/Vista/7?
Is the videocard recieving enough power?
Was the card in a retail box? Did it look like it was used?

So are the rest of us.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your system?
Did you do a driver sweep to remove all old drivers?
Is the videocard recieving enough power?

I'm using a kingwin 1000watt PSU should be enough. Fresh install of win 7. It just an obvious QA issue, or FedEx was too rough with the package. The box it came in was covered with dust as if it was sitting in a warehouse for some time. I had to wipe it down before I could even bring it into the house. Afterwards stuck in my sons gtx260 and it works fine. It wasn’t in a new box, they only send out refurbished cards as RMA replacements as far as I can tell. After all of this though it would be nice if they would send a fresh retail card.

I'm using a kingwin 1000watt PSU should be enough. Fresh install of win 7. It just an obvious QA issue, or FedEx was too rough with the package. The box it came in was covered with dust as if it was sitting in a warehouse for some time. I had to wipe it down before I could even bring it into the house. Afterwards stuck in my sons gtx260 and it works fine.

Hmm, if Fedex was rough with the package, that shouldn't have damaged the card if it was properly foam padded inside. It was a sealed retail box that just seemed dusty right? I know with older cards, you get used cards back from RMA at times. With the 5870 being newer, I was wondering if people got back retail boxed cards or some other plain box card or used ones, etc.

At this point, I would say to try the card in a friend's computer to make sure. You have some terrible luck for all this to be happening to you. Which drivers did you use? Try the ones on disc before any of the beta drivers.

Hmm, if Fedex was rough with the package, that shouldn't have damaged the card if it was properly foam padded inside. It was a sealed retail box that just seemed dusty right? I know with older cards, you get used cards back from RMA at times. With the 5870 being newer, I was wondering if people got back retail boxed cards or some other plain box card or used ones, etc.

At this point, I would say to try the card in a friend's computer to make sure. You have some terrible luck for all this to be happening to you. Which drivers did you use? Try the ones on disc before any of the beta drivers.

This was tested in a Socket LGA 1366 and also 775 using 10.3 cats. Its the card for sure. Also luck is not the cause of my issues.

Wow, this would make a better movie than most of the crap H'would is putting out. What a soap opera.
One thing I get from this is that I will stay away from XFX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back