XFX Rma nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amd2Intel

Gawd
I have a real mess on my hands with this company right now, sequence of events is as follows:

I decided to RMA my brand new XFX 5870 card as it was suffering from the GSOD issue and I read on the forums were Kyle was encouraging us to RMA these cards so ATI would take notice. So I submit the RMA on 03/03 and get the card back on 03/25 not to bad in my book. However, when I put the fresh RMA into my system I find its DOA and does not function at all. Well things happened I guess so I politely let them know. I inform them that the card is DOA and I’m kind of in a hurry for a replacement at this point. XFX arranges for a cross shipment this time to speed up the service for getting another RMA card to me.

I let the service rep Mark C know that I would be moving in just a few days, and I would no longer be at the residence to receive the new RMA card. He informed me it would be going out overnight and therefore would arrive before I had moved. I took his word for it and left it alone. This is where the trouble really began. When I checked the tracking they provided I discovered instead of sending the card out overnight they sent the card out ground anyways, this would cause it to arrive after I had moved out of the residence. I immediately sent an email to Mark asking why this card was not sent out on the schedule that he promised. I didn’t receive a reply to that email, so I then figured my next best bet was to drive to the FedEx hub and ask them to hold the card at the hub for me, and I would pick it up at the FedEx hub a few days later as I was moving over 90 miles away. They claimed this wouldn’t be an issue (as they couldn’t just reroute the package in transit for me).

The day the card is due to arrive(March 31st) I have to work a full day, so I don’t get home till after 4, so I then check the tracking to insure the status is set to held at location like it should be. Low and behold I find that the status was set to delivered at 2:45p.m. and that they claim to have a signature on file. My heart dropped at this point, I checked the sig they had on file and it just had some circle squiggle on it, not a realistic signature at all. I’m like great not only did they not hold at location like requested, but the driver obviously faked a signature and left it at the door of my old residence. Keep in mind I was over 90 miles away at this time and no longer live at the residence.

I immediately called FedEx to let them know their driver faked my signature, and since XFX was closed I let them know of the situation the following day. They placed a call tag on it and the driver went looking for the package, the driver stopped by my former apartment managers office and the manager confirmed for the driver I was not present at the residence… no package was found and it apparently disappeared into thin air.

Mark calls me about a week later and tells me well XFX did their job and sent me a Card, and FedEx did their job and delivered their package and has a signature on file(yeah a crazy fake one). Yeah….ummm….first card is DOA, second card is promised to go out overnight because I’m moving but goes out ground instead, and then its delivered after I moved from the residence, after trying to fix XFX’s mistake and ask for it to be held at location. At this point Mark tells me I’m out of luck take it up with FedEx and have a good day. I even had my former apartment manager type a letter I was vacant from the residence at the time of delivery, but that didn’t seem to matter. Is this legendary service I have heard about?? Hope no one faces a similar issue with them.

Cliffs
1. First RMA card arrives DOA
2. Second RMA is promised crossshiped and overnight
3. Instead second card goes out ground and I had to move
4. Driver fakes signature and apparently leaves at door of old residence after I requested it held at FedEx office
5. Both FedEx and XFX tell me to suck it

UPDATES:
The RMA count so far:
1. First card DOA
2. Second card lost in shipment.
3. Third card artifacting like crazy just on the desktop.

Last edited:
XFX needs to send a new card and take it up with Fedex themselves regarding the misdelivered one.

If you call Fedex yourself, they won't really deal with you. They'll instruct you to have the shipper file a claim (which can be done even if it shows delivered).

You didn't live at the address anymore and its not your signature.....

Fault seems to be on Mark, you explained the situation to him and he said no problem as it will be shipped OVERNIGHT, yet it was shipped via GROUND. I would speak to a supervisor or a manager. If this was done via e-mail, which i doubt, it would be even better because of evidence. It still doesn't hurt to speak with a higher up imo.

I think for the second RMA you should've waited till you moved first since it sounds like you RMA'd it with less than a week left at your old residence... but it sounds like several fails put together to make an epic fail. It's partly XFX, but I think Fedex did the bigger screwup.

On a side note... weren't the GSODs fixed (largely?)... I've never had a GSOD on my 5870 so I haven't really been following it.

XFX can lick my hairy balls. I really don't like them and hope that the recession sucks their piss poor company under.

XFX needs to send a new card and take it up with Fedex themselves regarding the misdelivered one.

If you call Fedex yourself, they won't really deal with you. They'll instruct you to have the shipper file a claim (which can be done even if it shows delivered).

You didn't live at the address anymore and its not your signature.....

XFX did file a claim with FedEx. However FedEx was like hey we have a signature on file no matter how fake and ridiculous it looks so that means we are denying it. Then XFX said well it’s on them to take it up with them. No one cares that I didn’t physically live there anymore and so it couldn’t have been me. I got bent over.

Wow, that is just unacceptable. I would be following up, as i'm sure you are, with fedex about the forged signature. I cannot believe XFX would gamble their reputation of great customer service on a screw up that is clearly theirs. Perhaps you should send an email to someone higher up then Mark with the attached emails from Mark explaining that this is just not good business. The Consumerist site might also help by running your story.

Fault seems to be on Mark, you explained the situation to him and he said no problem as it will be shipped OVERNIGHT, yet it was shipped via GROUND. I would speak to a supervisor or a manager. If this was done via e-mail, which i doubt, it would be even better because of evidence. It still doesn't hurt to speak with a higher up imo.

Here is the last response mark left on my trouble ticket.

"[MARK_C 4/14/2010 7:28:28 PM] Hello Wesley, FedEx has denied the claim. They said that they have no record of being contacted to hold the package beforehand. They delivered the package to the address that you gave to us and obtained a signature at that address. It was delivered at 2:45 PM. They have no record of being contacted until 9PM that night when you gave them your new address but the package had already been delivered. If you would like to dispute the claim with them the case number is 0409512772. Thank you. Mark"

I didn’t call at 9p.m. I called as soon as I got home and was able to check the tracking. Maybe it was about 9p.m. in their time zone but not mine.

I think for the second RMA you should've waited till you moved first since it sounds like you RMA'd it with less than a week left at your old residence... but it sounds like several fails put together to make an epic fail. It's partly XFX, but I think Fedex did the bigger screwup.

On a side note... weren't the GSODs fixed (largely?)... I've never had a GSOD on my 5870 so I haven't really been following it.

I told him on the phone I was moving and asked if I should wait....he told me it wouldnt be an isssue. Plus it was a cross-ship with the dead rma they sent me.

Question, was your former residence an apartment or house? I know 90 miles is quite a ways away but you might want to go back to your old place and check around there, ask a neighbor if they signed for it.

XFX probably left the insurance value at $100 so that there would be no charge, FedEx is at fault but since the value of the insurance is not going to cover it you will need to do through XFX in a normal case, BUT this is not a normal case that is why signatures are required the driver is at fault in the end, sooo I say try FedEx and require a replacement or remedy at law(money) if they don't then tell XFX that they are at fault for faulty shipping and that they must deal with FedEx not you.

I think Mark needs to get this straighten out. He inform you that it would be sent over-night and not to worry but instead sent it out by ground. You went the extra mile trying to hold it at fedex hub which fedex screw up on.

Hope it works out for you OP.

Question, was your former residence an apartment or house? I know 90 miles is quite a ways away but you might want to go back to your old place and check around there, ask a neighbor if they signed for it.

I called my old apt manager and had him knock on doors for me. No one saw or knew anything.

XFX probably left the insurance value at $100 so that there would be no charge, FedEx is at fault but since the value of the insurance is not going to cover it you will need to do through XFX in a normal case, BUT this is not a normal case that is why signatures are required the driver is at fault in the end, sooo I say try FedEx and require a replacement or remedy at law(money) if they don't then tell XFX that they are at fault for faulty shipping and that they must deal with FedEx not you.

For fun check out the sig on the package.

http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?language=english&cntry_code=us&tracknumbers=469058339086300

I called my old apt manager and had him knock on doors for me. No one saw or knew anything.

I recently RMA'd my laptop and on its way back, ASUS put down the wrong apartment number. Luckily, the person that received my laptop didn't forge a signature or anything and instead rejected the package so fedex gave me a call about it and I straightened up the apt # issue. It's unfortunate that the same didn't happen for you.

For fun check out the sig on the package.
Wow. Just... Wow... some 3 year old has your graphics card man.

File a complaint with the BBB, it is usually the last resort and 90% of the time ends up with proper resolution after a lot of bickering back and forth.

Had something like that happen to a friend.

The FedEx guy had the nerve to steal more than once from the same guy. So my buddy waited with his Glock and confronted the guy. Made him walk out to his truck AT GUN POINT and confess that he was stealing people's stuff.

Later on found out driver was a cousin of the shift manager and they had stole something like 10k in computer / electronics gear.

Still got the Iphone pic of the FedEx guy pissing himself in terror @ gun point.

BBB wont do a thing.

I cant access the sig. Can somebody take a screen shot and post it?

edit: nvm, figured it out..

If you can prove that you were not there when the package was delivered would be even better. This makes me think less of XFX and FedEx

Like someone else said, maybe one of your old neighbors signed for it? Or maybe someone stole it :(

Either way, this seems to be the fault of Mark. He knew the circumstances of your move and should have personally made sure the package was sent overnight like he said. I'd say call XFX up, inform them of the situation in its entirety (might have to do it more than once as you get transferred around) and that if they opt to not make things right, you'll be contacting the BBB. Companies tend to not like when you do that.

Edit: Damn I type slow. Theres like 10 more posts from the time I started my reply and actually hit post...

Spod

Like someone else said, maybe one of your old neighbors signed for it? Or maybe someone stole it :(

Either way, this seems to be the fault of Mark. He knew the circumstances of your move and should have personally made sure the package was sent overnight like he said. I'd say call XFX up, inform them of the situation in its entirety (might have to do it more than once as you get transferred around) and that if they opt to not make things right, you'll be contacting the BBB. Companies tend to not like when you do that.

Edit: Damn I type slow. Theres like 10 more posts from the time I started my reply and actually hit post...

The next day when I called XFX I talked to some other rep other than Mark, so more than one rep was in on it. When mark told me I was out of luck on the phone today I told him I would be posting about the experience, he basically was like whatever and ended the phone conversation.

This is a perfect storm of unfortunate situations.

1. A GSODing 5870 did not neccessarily need to be sent in as it seems to me it's more of a driver issue.
2. XFX did promise to send one out overnight crossshipped which is above and beyond the regular duty
3. The promise fell through somewhere in the bureucracy and it was shipped regular ground which is a dereliction of that duty
4. If you were moving a month later, maybe you should not have tried an RMA at the time. RMA issues can easily lead to 1-2 months downtime
5. FedEx is is full of incompetence - I hold them mostly responsible for this. I trust you did leave a request that it be held. Somehow they lost it. Their driver then let some bum off the street sign for and steal your package then claims ignorance.

I think XFX has done what they could have done given the circumstances with one error of the package going out ground instead of overnight. They probably have a large number of packages shipping at a time and that detail was lost somewhere. Regardless, XFX DID send you a replacement card with a signature required service that is expected to maintain security of that card.

Misdelievery by FedEx to the wrong person is the major f---up here. What kind of recourse is there in this situation? They denied the claim so he can't even get insurance? That's ridiculous.

Maybe the XFX rep on Hardforums can chime in here.

Last edited:
The next day when I called XFX I talked to some other rep other than Mark, so more than one rep was in on it. When mark told me I was out of luck on the phone today I told him I would be posting about the experience, he basically was like whatever and ended the phone conversation.

Is Mark just a customer service rep, or what is his official title? Can you not get a personnel directory and talk to a higher up. I still vote for a consumerist article helping your cause.

If you can prove that you were not there when the package was delivered would be even better. This makes me think less of XFX and FedEx

I have a letter printed up from my old apt complex manager stating that I was no longer at the residence, it’s on the property management companies letter head with phone numbers to contact him so he could confirm that statement. This didn’t seem to make a difference to FedEx or XFX.

2. XFX did promise to send one out overnight crossshipped which is above and beyond the regular duty
3. The promise fell through somewhere in the bureucracy and it was shipped regular ground which is a deriliction of that duty

XFX should have gone above and beyond regardless. From what the OP said they sent him a brand new fresh RMA that was DOA... How does that happen? Unless the RMA'ed card was drop kicked up the drive to the OP's front door I don't see how an RMA arrives DOA. XFX does test these returned cards to make sure things are in working order, and if not, are fixed.

I also don't buy that the promise fell through the crack and it was shipped ground accidently, I've got a feeling that Mark just didn't give a shit and said ship it.

I think it's a combination of both FedEx's and XFX's fault. First of all, that guy Mark seems to act like it's not his problem even though he lied about the original shipping time and the fact that he doesn't give a shit whether or not you're satisfied. Then FedEx goes ahead and fakes a signature. It's complete BS. I understand your problem but I just don't have any solutions for you. Sorry...

This is a perfect storm of unfortunate situations.

1. A GSODing 5870 did not neccessarily need to be sent in as it seems to me it's more of a driver issue.
3. The promise fell through somewhere in the bureucracy and it was shipped regular ground which is a deriliction of that duty
4. If you were moving a month later, maybe you should not have tried an RMA at the time. RMA issues can easily lead to 1-2 months downtime
5. FedEx is is full of incompetence - I hold them mostly responsible for this. I trust you did leave a request that it be held. Somehow they lost it. Their driver then let some bum off the street sign for and steal your package then claims ignorance.

I think XFX has done what they could have done given the circumstances with one error of the package going out ground instead of overnight. They probably have a large number of packages shipping at a time and that detail was lost somewhere. Regardless, XFX DID send you a replacement card.

Misdelievery by FedEx to the wrong person is the major f---up here. What kind of recourse is there in this situation? They denied the claim so he can't even get insurance? That's ridiculous.

Maybe the XFX rep on Hardforums can chime in here.

1. I had two XFX cards, one worked perfect one did not. It was a hardware issue.

2. This was after the first RMA they sent back was DOA, I think it was more them fixing their boo boo than above and beyond.

4. I didn't know I was moving a month later...I was assigned a clinical site in another town and had to move I had no choice.

Does this driver work for FedEx or Fisher Price? I'm not sure by that signature...

I really don't get why videocard companies can't be bothered to test their RMA replacements before sending them out. Is it that difficult? Wouldn't it save everyone a lot of headaches and money in shipping?

I sent in an 8800GT to XFX. I got a defective 8800GTX back. Cost me about $35 in shipping two cards to them and 2 months without a graphics card. Ultimately, they fixed it by sending me a new 9800GTX to cover it all and I was satisfied.

Last edited:
I really don't get why videocard companies can't be bothered to test their RMA replacements before sending them out. Is it that difficult? Wouldn't it save everyone a lot of headaches and money in shipping?

My guess is most of their replacement cards aren't DOA and so it probably costs more to install it in a test system and verify functionality, versus just paying for return shipping for a second card.

I sent in an 8800GT to XFX. I got a defective 8800GTX back. Cost me about $35 in shipping two cards to them and 2 months without a graphics card. Ultimately, they fixed it by sending me a new 9800GTX to cover it all and I was satisfied.

Exactly, why even have an RMA department if they have no intention of testing their product and fixing problems. A company is only as good as their customer service, and once you've been burned by a company it's hard to go back to said company and recommend their products to others.

Wow, that's BS. I have the feeling the Fedex guy knew what it was and stole it. I hate these kind of people.

My guess is most of their replacement cards aren't DOA and so it probably costs more to install it in a test system and verify functionality, versus just paying for return shipping for a second card.

Are you serious? Cost more to drop an RMA into a naked PC and test functionality then to blindly ship it? I seriously doubt it.

OP, you have my sympathies. I've had defective RMA returns as well as about $200 of goods stolen off my porch from stupid delivery drivers leaving them or forging signatures and claiming as delivered.

Regardless, I think you need to be going after FedEx here and not XFX. XFX did sent out a replacement and paid for the more expensive signature required service of a private courier that is expected to deliver the card to the right individual. Someone did make the mistake of sending it ground with their other packages instead of overnight courier but as they had entrusted it to FedEx, I believe legally it's Fedex's fault here because it was lost in their care. Even if it wasn't deliverable to you, FedEx has the responsibility of safekeeping the package or returning it to sender.

I can't believe these deliverymen don't have it as standard practice to check IDs. I'm also sure this is not the first time this has happened with FedEx and there are some consumer rights groups out there that should be able to help you if you look. Heck, I bet this happens with FedEx all the time. Maybe there's a class action lawsuit you can jump onto.

I am fortunate in regards to getting things delivered. I am the dispatcher at the plant where I work, so everything coming and going goes through my office. I have all my personal stuff shipped to me at work... everything from puter stuff to medicine. Nothing is left sitting on my front porch ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back