XFX R7770 Black Edition Super Overclocked Review @ [H]

So considering inflation and your GFX card math, a 7770 should cost, uh..... $37.89(after mail in rebate)?

That's all you have to say after reading my post?.....lol
I'm not saying what it should cost, i'm stating FACTS.

read again buddy.............price/performance..............screwed up.
Seriously people, you have to be blind not to see it.
And for the record, i did not say 7770 is bullshit, it's its price.

I think its universal that the price is too high.
Still it has to be expected (not liked) when you have such great eol midrange last gen products.

But Cannondale06 the 6870's and 6850's are being heavily discounted to get them off the shelves. So yes I agree that today grab one of those higher tier cards at a discounted price. Realistically you have to think launch price points and not current price points as the 6800 series will cease to exist soon. The 6870 was a $240 card at launch correct? There should be a 7870 that is priced similarly to compete performance wise against it. This card is designed to compete against the 6700 cards; not the 6800's.

Retailers are just liquidating their stock on the old and bringing in the new. Maybe the review should have tossed in it's EOL direct replacement to show the difference in performance. But [H] goes by current prices, and the heavily discounted EOL 6800 series has fallen in price to a lower tier.

If I were purchasing a new card today and the 6800 series was still available, then it's a no brainer to grab the higher tier card on sale. But there will be a 7800 card soon to directly compare the 6800 series to. And going by the trend so far it will be faster,and have more efficient power power usage. But those cards haven't launched yet.

Just give AMD an opportunity to launch those. Until then grab your 6800 cards before they are all gone at this liquidation price point!

Here's something that all of you went right past - power demands.

HD7770 requires one 6-pin PCIe power connector (identical to the last-gen HD6750 and even most HD6850 cards) yet beats both in performance, while costing the same as HD6770, and less than HD6850 (of today, with those price drops to clear out inventory). Meanwhile, HD7750 smacks around HD6770, let alone HD6670, and even mostly ties HD6850, but with HD6670-style power requirements, and at the price HD6670 was before the Thanksgiving/BF/Yule sales; further, unlike most HD6670 and even HD6750 cards of today, it still has GDDR5 (I'm seeing far too many HD6670/6750 cards shipping with mere GDDR3, even from top-drawer companies otherwise, such as XFX).

My only quibble with HD77xx is the complete lack of retail presence (if you want one, you're pretty much forced to shop online).

Here's something that all of you went right past - power demands.

HD7770 requires one 6-pin PCIe power connector (identical to the last-gen HD6750 and even most HD6850 cards) yet beats both in performance, while costing the same as HD6770, and less than HD6850 (of today, with those price drops to clear out inventory). Meanwhile, HD7750 smacks around HD6770, let alone HD6670, and even mostly ties HD6850, but with HD6670-style power requirements, and at the price HD6670 was before the Thanksgiving/BF/Yule sales; further, unlike most HD6670 and even HD6750 cards of today, it still has GDDR5 (I'm seeing far too many HD6670/6750 cards shipping with mere GDDR3, even from top-drawer companies otherwise, such as XFX).

My only quibble with HD77xx is the complete lack of retail presence (if you want one, you're pretty much forced to shop online).

The 7750 does not even come close to the 6850. Hell XFX v7770 super overclocked card performs under the 6850. To put simply, the v7770 offers 90% of the performance and 90% of the price of a 6850 at Launch price.

Back to question aobut 2 vs 1gb, I believe the v7770 is extremely memory bandwidth starved. So it wont fully benefit from 2gbs. Remember its 40+GB bandwidth less then 6850. I know in one reveiw (cant remember which one) the did independent gpu and memory overclock. They found out, memory oc did way more performance increase then the gpu oc. ITs an extremely efficient chip, but efficiency cant make up for raw power sometimes.

Last edited:
Of all the folks here that have been bitching about this, how many of you would even consider buying a 7770 or 6850 anyway?

Hardly any I reckon. So whats the beef? The 7770 will be dropped to current 6770 prices in a month or so anyway. Having it priced this way helps AMD clear out the old 68** inventory faster.

Some folks cant see further then the end of their nose I guess.

The 7750 does not even come close to the 6850. Hell XFX v7770 super overclocked card performs under the 6850. To put simply, the v7770 offers 90% of the performance and 90% of the price of a 6850 at Launch price.

Back to question aobut 2 vs 1gb, I believe the v7770 is extremely memory bandwidth starved. So it wont fully benefit from 2gbs. Remember its 40+GB bandwidth less then 6850. I know in one reveiw (cant remember which one) the did independent gpu and memory overclock. They found out, memory oc did way more performance increase then the gpu oc. ITs an extremely efficient chip, but efficiency cant make up for raw power sometimes.

So how would this be reflected if one had two 7770's 2GB X-Fired? Is it still bandwidth starved when each card has enough memory for Eyefinity resolutions and the bandwidth is shared between the two?

In certain reviews I have seen 2x 7770 1GB cards best a 6970 and match or pass a 580 in every bench. In the 580's case the 7770's do it at a lower cost, drastic power savings and has 3+ screen capability. The older 6000 series simply doesn't have the X-Fire power saving features nor the X-Fire performance in comparison.

I am thinking of building an A8 SFF for a work computer and figure the 7770 when it drops in price would be a nice upgrade to allow me to play games if I get bored.

So how would this be reflected if one had two 7770's 2GB X-Fired? Is it still bandwidth starved when each card has enough memory for Eyefinity resolutions and the bandwidth is shared between the two?

In certain reviews I have seen 2x 7770 1GB cards best a 6970 and match or pass a 580 in every bench. In the 580's case the 7770's do it at a lower cost, drastic power savings and has 3+ screen capability. The older 6000 series simply doesn't have the X-Fire power saving features nor the X-Fire performance in comparison.

Xfire always been a monkey wrench. I saw reviews where 4870 xfired 512mb was performing similar to a 6850 1gb. Ive also seen amd radeon 6450 with 2gb, not sure why though. the card crossfire or not will be bandwidth starved. I believe, a person would still be better off going with a 6950/70 over a xfired v7770. Crossfire still has too many issues.

I thought some more aobut xfire. I believe if a person is planning on xfiring the v7770 off the bat, it probably would be better off waiting to see where the 7800 series will drop in price/performance. Even if it performs a little less than v7770 xfired for same to little less money, they would be better off getting the 7800 series.

Last edited:
In certain reviews I have seen 2x 7770 1GB cards best a 6970 and match or pass a 580 in every bench. In the 580's case the 7770's do it at a lower cost, drastic power savings and has 3+ screen capability.

*Ahem*

bf3_2560_1600.gif

(This may be a weird case with Crossfire, but still)

I didn't read through all of them but I looked at quite a few and in none of the cases did I see it actually beat a 580. It got pretty close sometimes but, I think saying it passes a 580 is a little misleading. In fact it seems in the vast majority of cases it's not even as fast as a 570.

You pick a benchmark where the 7770 is running 50% slower in X-Fire then a single card and wonder if it is a weird case. Really, ya think?

Check out this review here:
http://www.eteknix.com/reviews/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-7770-crossfire-review/10/
Got the link from [H] main page.

Yeah it wasn't the best pick, but take a look at the rest of the review. There are maybe a couple instances where the CFX setup is marginally faster, but the vast majority go to the single 580.

Also, in the review you posted, other than artificial benchmarks the 7770 only wins over the 580 in one game (Metro 2033). Which is curious because on the site I posted the 580 wins out in that exact same game with the same resolution by about 3 FPS.

Yeah it wasn't the best pick, but take a look at the rest of the review. There are maybe a couple instances where the CFX setup is marginally faster, but the vast majority go to the single 580.

Wasn't the best pick, you couldn't find a worse pick, and you tried ;)
In the review I just linked to the 7770 X-Fire is right in the mix with the 580. They also posted some very nice Eyefinity resolution benches, often quite a bit above what the 6970 was pulling, so it gives a good indication of how the 7770's perform with high bandwidth. Of course the 580 was unable to bench at those resolutions.
Throw in some of the high rated OC'ability of these cards as well and we can guess where they would stand.

I would be curious to read the review where you snagged that brilliant bench you posted. But you haven't named the site, or provided a link.:confused:

Great review. I think I spotted a small typo at page 4.

The AMD Radeon HD 6970 was also playable at the exact same settings as the other two video cards here. It provided no advantage, and produced the same level of gameplay experience as the XFX R7770 Black Edition and GTX 560 Ti in BF3.

Wasn't the best pick, you couldn't find a worse pick, and you tried ;)
In the review I just linked to the 7770 X-Fire is right in the mix with the 580. They also posted some very nice Eyefinity resolution benches, often quite a bit above what the 6970 was pulling, so it gives a good indication of how the 7770's perform with high bandwidth. Of course the 580 was unable to bench at those resolutions.
Throw in some of the high rated OC'ability of these cards as well and we can guess where they would stand.

I would be curious to read the review where you snagged that brilliant bench you posted. But you haven't named the site, or provided a link.:confused:

Oh, so now it's "right in the mix" and not "match or pass the 580 in every bench" (your exact words). Okay. :rolleyes:

And that review is here (first one that comes up when you Google "7770 crossfire":

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_7770_CrossFire/

The fact that that BF3 bench ended up being a bad example has nothing to do with the fact that the 580 is ahead in almost every benchmark, and usually it's not by a trivial amount.

I was wondering, if I would take out the 4870 out of my HTPC and swap it with a 7750. The FPS would be the same/better but i'd have less heat and less power consumption? Or just spend the extra 20 euros and go with a 7770?
I use my HTPC a fair bit for games though.

I was wondering, if I would take out the 4870 out of my HTPC and swap it with a 7750. The FPS would be the same/better but i'd have less heat and less power consumption?

7750 is near the same speed as a 5770(and 6770) which is about the same speed as the 4870. You might see some improvements depending on resolution, but you'd definitely have less power consumption.

I was wondering, if I would take out the 4870 out of my HTPC and swap it with a 7750. The FPS would be the same/better but i'd have less heat and less power consumption? Or just spend the extra 20 euros and go with a 7770?
I use my HTPC a fair bit for games though.

Probably spend the extra 20 euros for the 7770.

AnandTech Bench comparison of the 4870 vs the 7750, 7770:
4870 vs 7750, 4870 vs 7770

I just bought myself a 7750 ($119US) to get me off of my 9600GT;
AnandTech Bench: 8800GT (faster than my 9600GT) vs HD7750

Back