Xbox X

If they want to they’ll find a way to market it as that. I don’t think anyone is sure what specs they are aiming for. But at least 60fps 4k, those are the big buzz words right now and a step up from where they are at. But will it be more of the same, sacrificing some quality in order to provide a particular experience?
I don't think the beefiest PC setups can provide those types of frames at super high resolutions.

If they want to they’ll find a way to market it as that. I don’t think anyone is sure what specs they are aiming for. But at least 60fps 4k, those are the big buzz words right now and a step up from where they are at. But will it be more of the same, sacrificing some quality in order to provide a particular experience?

Well considering that authentic 4K60 requires a 2080Ti - that is, without cheats or checkerboarding or watering down the image quality (because for most plebs the psychological contentment of a 4K60 linkspeed between console and TV is enough) hell no its not going to do authentic 4K60. But they'll market it as 4K/8K 120FPS most-powerful-gaming-whatever anyway - why not?

In this current era you can do and say anything and no big deal. To the fratboy marketing majors at the console manufacturers, resolution and framerates are relative and elastic and are simply marketing labels, not performance datapoints.

Last edited:
120fps at 4k/8k?

Easy enough to do, turn down settings and effects until you achieve it. What was that checkerboard output the ps4pro does to cheat to get to 60fps 4k?

(next part not directed at you Dark)

Seriously, will you kids screw off with your "I NEED RGB LEDS!!!!!!". And you wonder why you can't sleep right anymore and cant concentrate. If it doesnt look like a xmas tree, you barely notice it.

gtfo my lawn.

upload_2019-12-13_16-2-52.png

That mean the next one will look like a cheese grater?

upload_2019-12-13_16-3-40.png

I guarantee that this new Xbox will not be able to do true 4K at 60fps. Not without some sort of upscaling or fidelity adjustment withing the game.

But , prove me wrong.

120fps at 4k/8k?

Easy enough to do, turn down settings and effects until you achieve it. What was that checkerboard output the ps4pro does to cheat to get to 60fps 4k?

Yeah, 120 FPS would be mostly a waste of resources on a console where you're playing with a controller, IMO. There's a reason most games only target 30 FPS instead of 60 on consoles too; because devs (and probably most console-only gamers) prefer to have better image quality over performance. I know if I was only playing a 3rd-person adventure game that didn't require a lot of fast response or action, I would prolly prefer to play at a higher res or with more IQ settings on at 30 FPS over 60+. But for racing game and FPS, I would be totally fine with 60 FPS over 120+ with lower IQ/res settings.

I just hope more games give you more options to play at whatever performance/IQ profile you prefer in the next generation. I also hope that both Sony and MS start pushing VRR (Freesync) support within their games now that TVs are starting to support it so that devs don't have to worry about keeping a hard lock at 60 FPS and don't have to worry about stutter or tearing if it dips down into the 40s, which is a common issue on consoles still, esp. ones that just allow for an unlocked frame rate. I know the current XBone technically supports Freesync, but I think it's pretty much only for the UI and other non-gaming applications for some reason. At least I haven't seen any games explicitly utilizing it on the console yet.

Come Christmas 2020, I think there will be some disappointed kids when they open their presents only to find out their parents accidentally bought them an Xbox One X instead of the sold out Xbox Series X.

Really dumb name. The name isn't the most important thing, but it could've been less confusing. No suggestions from me but they could have done better. Personally not interested in it anyways, hope they continue porting all games to PC.

(next part not directed at you Dark)

Seriously, will you kids screw off with your "I NEED RGB LEDS!!!!!!". And you wonder why you can't sleep right anymore and cant concentrate. If it doesnt look like a xmas tree, you barely notice it.

gtfo my lawn.
Lol if you sleep in the same room you game in you are doing it wrong! I don’t need the sides of the box to light up but I thought they would show the xbox logo change colors or something cool like that. If that green thing on the top is a light and it’s really only green... wtf.

Xbox Series X - to be paired with the much shittier Lockhart version, named Xbox Series Y!

Now with 100% more Pokemon crossover :D

I guarantee that this new Xbox will not be able to do true 4K at 60fps. Not without some sort of upscaling or fidelity adjustment withing the game.

But , prove me wrong.

Current Xbone X already does "true" (no checkerboarding or upscaling) 4k60 in some games like Forza Horizon 4 and Motorsport and several more according to this Wiki page.

Of course they have to drop some IQ settings down compared to their PC equivalents to do it, but that's the trade off you have to make on any game to get higher performance even on PC games.

So I have no doubt there will be several 4k60 games on next gen consoles, but I'm sure plenty studios will opt to cap at 30 still for better IQ at 4K like all previous consoles have done at their standard resolutions at the time they launched.

Lol if you sleep in the same room you game in you are doing it wrong! I don’t need the sides of the box to light up but I thought they would show the xbox logo change colors or something cool like that. If that green thing on the top is a light and it’s really only green... wtf.

That said, I have red led strips in my server rack for my networking gear lol.

“Authentic” 4k... we know they are doing the tricks now what would stop them later?

Yep that’s why I’m still a PC gamer :ROFLMAO:

But most people genuinely wouldn't notice the difference if you put them side by side.

But , prove me wrong.

There's already Xbox One X games rendering at native 4k60. New Xbox (and PS5) will be probably go back down to 30fps at 4k for some really demanding games, but I am 100% confident the next Forza and Gran Turismo will do native 4k60 no problem.

“Authentic” 4k... we know they are doing the tricks now what would stop them later?

Yep that’s why I’m still a PC gamer :ROFLMAO:

But most people genuinely wouldn't notice the difference if you put them side by side.

Not like most of us would be able to tell the difference between 1800p and 4K either. Heck I’d bet most of us here wouldn’t even be able to pick out good checkerboard rendering without actually looking for the telltale signs of it.

I expect a lot more games next gen to be true 4K than there are now, though I imagine 30fps will still be the target in many cases.

This is funny, heh !!!

This is the 4th Xbox, correct? Well they can't call it "Xbox 4" because there's a "Playstation 5" and 5 > 4. So people will think the PS5 is newer or better (even though they're probably right heh).

Not like most of us would be able to tell the difference between 1800p and 4K either. Heck I’d bet most of us here wouldn’t even be able to pick out good checkerboard rendering without actually looking for the telltale signs of it.

I expect a lot more games next gen to be true 4K than there are now, though I imagine 30fps will still be the target in many cases.
Besides the point. We're in control of it on PC. On consoles those settings are locked away from user access and the developer can res scale and water down the image behind the black curtain.

What do these marketing guys actually do? Between the name, and the "most power system eva" as if the next gen was going to be slower than the current ones, that's about 10 minutes of thought at best.

What do these marketing guys actually do? Between the name, and the "most power system eva" as if the next gen was going to be slower than the current ones, that's about 10 minutes of thought at best.

They never said “most powerful system ever” they said it was their most powerful console ever. As in the most powerful Xbox.

As far as names go, a lot more work goes into branding than you would think. There is a reason marketing people make a crap ton of money. Bad marketing kills products.

My real issue with the box shape :
It won't fit with other systems in a media center, and when your brand isn't number one worldwide this matters. You want to attract the secondary customers, not make it seem like you wouldn't even fit and thus, why should they bother buying you?

The design must have been engineered very precisely in the "minimum volume, maximum airflow" kind of way, and with the proper fan settings I bet that it will be quiet for the heat dissipation it will achieve, I mean I dislike the box aesthetics something fierce but I recognize that it's the best for what is required spec wise.

As for the 4k/60fps, developers will never go for 60fps unless they really think that their game needs it like fighters /twitch shooters, as it's always pointed out screenshot image quality doesn't convey 60fps and thus that doesn't sell.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
GodFall is on the PS5

It's a bit early to get hyped over a game that has only been seen as a CG trailer. The trailer has a great art style and I love the armor and character designs, but that's about it. There's zero gameplay, they didn't even say if the trailer was "in-engine" or just something made by a CG production house. Trying to make claims of platform superiority over a CG trailer is incredibly dumb.

They never said “most powerful system ever” they said it was their most powerful console ever. As in the most powerful Xbox.

As far as names go, a lot more work goes into branding than you would think. There is a reason marketing people make a crap ton of money. Bad marketing kills products.
Yeah, remember the marketing failure that was the GTX 1080? Lot of people around here were convinced it would fail because common pleebs thought it would be a 1080P card.

Well they said it's compatible with all previous Xbox games.

So playing Xbox OG games like Riddick, Ninja Gaiden, at 120fps at 4K might be a thing. Or 8K 60fps.

That is really doubtful. You might be able to “make it work” but unless assets are developed for a certain resolution, you’re really just putting smoke and mirrors in to action. Try res scaling some old games on your PC and you’ll see, you don’t gain very much when the textures are only so much resolution.

Yeah, remember the marketing failure that was the GTX 1080? Lot of people around here were convinced it would fail because common pleebs thought it would be a 1080P card.

Just people who didn't spend more than 5 seconds thinking before posting said that. Since when did graphics cards model number correspond with their output resolution? Never. By that logic people who purchased a GTX 1070 wouldn't thought they could only play at "1070P".

This Xbox name is a much different scenario. Xbox One X is easy to confuse with the Xbox Series X. I doubt many people will end up buying the wrong console because of it (but some will), but it is outright confusing and awkward. The "X" and "S" and suffixes to major model variants typically meant a different version of the same base product. You'd have the 360, 360 S, 360 E and whatnot. Then you had the One, One S, One X to differentiate between different versions of the product. "Series X" should be a suffix. Example: Xbox 4 Series S (standard) Xbox 4 Series X (extreme or whatever). What will the refreshes be called? Xbox Series XX? Xbox Series X2? Xbox Series XB? Series needed to be a different word, it just doesn't make much sense.

At the end of the day it won't matter that much, but marketing does play a role and this is a terrible name. Microsoft time and time again shows that they are terrible when it comes to marketing things to consumers. They made their fortune selling to big businesses. The Xbox and 360 were the few exceptions, and their traditionally poor consumer marketing showed again with the One. Doubt they'll screw up that bad with this generation though. Investing in exclusives and clearly a refocus on games will help them prevent a repeat of last gen.

This Xbox name is a much different scenario. Xbox One X is easy to confuse with the Xbox Series X. I doubt many people will end up buying the wrong console because of it (but some will), but it is outright confusing and awkward.
Confusion - or at least, abstraction - is the point. They want to keep selling Xbox Ones. The goal isn't to sell as many Series X as possible, it's to sell as many consoles as possible, to create as many XBL pay-forever subscription onramps as possible.

A customer with a $150-$199 Xbox pays the same for an XBL membership as a $499 Series X customer.

Sony will keep pumping out PS4's into eternity as well.

Last edited:
Just people who didn't spend more than 5 seconds thinking before posting said that. Since when did graphics cards model number correspond with their output resolution? Never. By that logic people who purchased a GTX 1070 wouldn't thought they could only play at "1070P".

This Xbox name is a much different scenario. Xbox One X is easy to confuse with the Xbox Series X. I doubt many people will end up buying the wrong console because of it (but some will), but it is outright confusing and awkward. The "X" and "S" and suffixes to major model variants typically meant a different version of the same base product. You'd have the 360, 360 S, 360 E and whatnot. Then you had the One, One S, One X to differentiate between different versions of the product. "Series X" should be a suffix. Example: Xbox 4 Series S (standard) Xbox 4 Series X (extreme or whatever). What will the refreshes be called? Xbox Series XX? Xbox Series X2? Xbox Series XB? Series needed to be a different word, it just doesn't make much sense.

At the end of the day it won't matter that much, but marketing does play a role and this is a terrible name. Microsoft time and time again shows that they are terrible when it comes to marketing things to consumers. They made their fortune selling to big businesses. The Xbox and 360 were the few exceptions, and their traditionally poor consumer marketing showed again with the One. Doubt they'll screw up that bad with this generation though. Investing in exclusives and clearly a refocus on games will help them prevent a repeat of last gen.

Ever since Spencer was given control and MS leadership got shuffled around their console marketing has improved dramatically. They've really turned the XB1 into a great console over time with some of the best features any console has ever had. It did nothing to save the system, but they do have some momentum going into next gen off the back of things like Game Pass and their good BC program (vs Sony requiring people to either subscribe to PS Now or re-buy old games). They'll still need to up their game and make sure they have a very good launch window, but I don't think their marketing is as dire now as it has been in the past.

Confusion - or at least, abstraction - is the point. They want to keep selling Xbox Ones. The goal isn't to sell as many Series X as possible, it's to sell as many consoles as possible, to create as many XBL pay-forever subscription onramps as possible.

A customer with a $150-$199 Xbox pays the same for an XBL membership as a $499 Series X customer.

Sony will keep pumping out PS4's into eternity as well.

I'm sure they do, but ideally you want to get as many people on the new platform as soon as possible. Besides, the last time Microsoft told people to buy their old product when talking about the new one it made them a laughing stock and didn't help the launch of the One much.

As for Sony, they stopped production of the PS3 less than 2 1/2 years after the PS4 came out. In the older eras it made sense to make the older gen longer for poorer markets. But the middle class in many of these countries have improved and the general cost of consoles/games has gone down. Xbox 360 ended production a month later. Unlike the 90/early 2000s, the market is a bit more developed and video games are much more established in many of those areas so dumping old gen stuff isn't as much of a priority these days.

I'm sure they do, but ideally you want to get as many people on the new platform as soon as possible. Besides, the last time Microsoft told people to buy their old product when talking about the new one it made them a laughing stock and didn't help the launch of the One much.

As for Sony, they stopped production of the PS3 less than 2 1/2 years after the PS4 came out. In the older eras it made sense to make the older gen longer for poorer markets. But the middle class in many of these countries have improved and the general cost of consoles/games has gone down. Xbox 360 ended production a month later. Unlike the 90/early 2000s, the market is a bit more developed and video games are much more established in many of those areas so dumping old gen stuff isn't as much of a priority these days.

With how well the PS4 is still selling Sony's not going to stop until it becomes the highest selling console of all time. Or, at the very least, gets much closer to PS2 numbers. News about how good the system is selling and it moving up the charts is good for them and will still be good when the PS5 launches as it gives their brand an image of strength.

Back