• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xbox One FAQ

I never sell any of my games anyways. We all knew this was coming as pc's had this for years with cdkey authorization pretty much.
 
I'm holding all opinions & final buying decisions until E3 & both MS & Sony has had their chance to WOW or Disgust us.

But right now, I'm leaning towards a new high-end video card.
 
I wonder how many people happily using Steam accounts are the same ones griping about not being able to sell used games.

Because PC games are on sale, and almost never cost $60. I got Portal 2 when it first came out for $30. Most games tend to be cheaper then that. At those prices, who cares about reselling their games?

Also, once we're done with the game, we can mod it. Literally turning the game into a new game. When you're done with a game on the console, you get to pay for a DLC.
 
1023
 
The more i read the i'm not happy with whats on offer. Not good for them. But then... i'm one to use my head and not just open my wallet "just 'coz". This may be great for all you glass-half-full guys that think MS (or the other... for that matter) wont just change their minds 12 months down the track. But i live int he real world and i have a MEMORY! So if i don't see real proof they wont fuck my shit up, then and only then.. will i jump in.

I probably won't have to wait knowing them... as the'll take 12 months to release it anywhere outside the US!
 
Why are you guys angry? Why would anyone with a pc want a console? That's what I don't understand.
 
Why are you guys angry? Why would anyone with a pc want a console? That's what I don't understand.

I don't think anyone is angry, just expressing their opinion. Well, we at [H] here tend to be more vocal in expressing our opinion, but I don't think anyone is sitting in room shaking with anger :p

Actually there was a time I game on both PC and Playstation. There were many good exclusive titles there at that time like Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve, Gran Turismo. I've also played many other series like Resident Evil and Dino Crisis there (don't know if they are exclusive but since I have the Playstation...). Also had Sega Genesis

These days most games are cross platform and the exclusive titles no longer interest me. But I'd imagine many others are doing the same thing.
 
Because PC games are on sale, and almost never cost $60. I got Portal 2 when it first came out for $30. Most games tend to be cheaper then that. At those prices, who cares about reselling their games?

Also, once we're done with the game, we can mod it. Literally turning the game into a new game. When you're done with a game on the console, you get to pay for a DLC.

It as quite some time before portal 2 was $30 on pc. Don't make crap up to make your point.

Why are you guys angry? Why would anyone with a pc want a console? That's what I don't understand.
Don't think anyone is angry. As for why? Because I enjoy some games on pc and some games I enjoy on my 55" tv with surround sound sitting in my recliner. Why people seem to believe that owning one invalidates owning another is beyond me.
 
Why are you guys angry? Why would anyone with a pc want a console? That's what I don't understand.

I'm not angry, but to answer your second question: because there are good games that never come to the PC, especially RPGs. I really enjoy the Disgaea series, and that's Playstation only (except one remake on the DS). I plan to get Final Fantasy X HD when it comes out. Lots of games never get ported to the PC, and a few of them are really fun.

I never bought an Xbox 360, and I'm passing on the Xbox One for the same reason: Xbox Live Gold. Why pay a subscription when I can buy a PS4 and get all online services for free?
 
I'm buying it anyways. I've been a fan of the xbox since day one. As far as the always connected I don't give a shit. Anyone that has uses steam should be used to no used games and having to be online for certain things to work.

I'll be bummed if you can play used games on it but it won't be a deal breaker. Just means now certain games won't be purchased until they drop to like $20.

I have a decent gaming rig but I find it more enjoyable to play games in my living room.
 
It as quite some time before portal 2 was $30 on pc. Don't make crap up to make your point.

He's hardly making things up. Some sites ran deals shortly after the release. Hell, it was only $10 on Steam six months after release, and that's when I picked it up (winter Steam sale). The game was too short in many people's opinions to pay $60, and the price was cut in half within two months of it coming out (summer Steam sale).

And either way, his point is still fully valid. If you watch the prices of good console games, they take much longer to come down. Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword are both still $50 at almost any place, even though they're both over a year old.
 
I'm buying it anyways. I've been a fan of the xbox since day one. As far as the always connected I don't give a shit. Anyone that has uses steam should be used to no used games and having to be online for certain things to work.

I'll be bummed if you can play used games on it but it won't be a deal breaker. Just means now certain games won't be purchased until they drop to like $20.

I have a decent gaming rig but I find it more enjoyable to play games in my living room.

You CAN play used games on it. It's just that you will pay a fee to activate the used game, and they haven't announced yet what that is. They are also making a built-in online game trading service, so you can trade games you don't want to others through Xbox Live. Again, no real details, but there will be a fee for this.

What you CAN'T do is let your friends borrow your game. Your only option for giving a game to your friend will be to sell it to them as a used game, in which case you lose all your progress and saves and cannot play the game again on your account/console (unless you once again pay the used game fee).
 
I remember the days when the console kiddies bragged about how simple console gaming was. I just grab my controller,turn on the TV,pop in a disk, flop on the couch and press start. I applaud MS and their Trojan Horse 360. They have the console crew at their mercy.I wonder how much the "new" Xbox Jive will cost as I'm sure you will need to also pay for "platinum" for the whole buttfu.. er.. experience.This whole media hub thing is really laughable. Most Smart TVs have these capabilities already,why the hell would anyone run their DVR/Cable box through the One first is beyond me.People serious about A/V would definitely not introduce another device into the signal path.

Console gamers are now getting(to an extent) the PC experience with none of the benefit. Pretty sure game prices will be locked in @ $60 and wont drop until the inevitable sequel arrives and then by maybe $10- $15? Jumping through hoops to take your game to a friends house?? Everyone new the used game segment was targeted ever since GS ran their yaps about how much money they raked in on them. If they go under, FUCK 'EM. Again,console as they were once known are dead.This is a locked down PC and nothing more...Let the wool fly!
 
Last I check, xbox is competing with Sony's Playstation, not Steam. :)

Kind of... by making the console more PC-esque, they are taking on new competition. Steam Big Box has narrowed the gap by separating controller-friendly games.
 
He's hardly making things up. Some sites ran deals shortly after the release. Hell, it was only $10 on Steam six months after release, and that's when I picked it up (winter Steam sale). The game was too short in many people's opinions to pay $60, and the price was cut in half within two months of it coming out (summer Steam sale).

And either way, his point is still fully valid. If you watch the prices of good console games, they take much longer to come down. Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword are both still $50 at almost any place, even though they're both over a year old.

I pre-ordered Portal 2 for $30 and had it on day one so no he wasnt making anything up.

What the hell..I never saw it for $30...:(
 
It as quite some time before portal 2 was $30 on pc. Don't make crap up to make your point.
No, I wasn't lying. It was a sale, not the regular price. But Steam sales happen very often.

Why are you guys angry? Why would anyone with a pc want a console? That's what I don't understand.
That all really depends. We're PC gamers, but gamers non the less. If say a game is only being released to console, we may have to buy that console. The first game that comes to mind is Halo. Luckily Halo sucked past Halo 2, so it's not like we're upset if we lose the chance to play it. But if like Halo 5 turns out to be awesome, we'll have to deal with the stupid fucktary of Xbox One.

What you CAN'T do is let your friends borrow your game. Your only option for giving a game to your friend will be to sell it to them as a used game, in which case you lose all your progress and saves and cannot play the game again on your account/console (unless you once again pay the used game fee).
Yea, are games locked to your console or account? That's important, cause if Xbox One gets a red ring of death, does that screw you out of your games? Can you like move from one Xbox to another, while keeping all your games. BTW, you can do that with Steam.
 
I wonder how many people happily using Steam accounts are the same ones griping about not being able to sell used games.

Steam is a tradeoff that people are willing to accept. There is no tradeoff on a console; you generally pay full price, you have to go through DRM loops, pay an annual fee just to get online with the game (with xbox), get swarmed by Ads/DLC, and support/updates tends to be limited (which looks to be much better this upcoming generation, i'm guessing).
 
With the rumored DRM shit and all that garbage... I really don't feel like being bothered with getting either a PS4 or Xbox One. I don't want to have to install my games to my console. That defeats the purpose of a fucking console.
 
What you CAN'T do is let your friends borrow your game. Your only option for giving a game to your friend will be to sell it to them as a used game, in which case you lose all your progress and saves and cannot play the game again on your account/console (unless you once again pay the used game fee).

Why does everyone keep repeating this? :rolleyes:

There are no fees for lending games.

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/statuses/336952046345400320
 
Expect an additional fee to resell 2nd hand games. This generation is all about training consumers into having their games locked to their accounts.

I don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt about this, particular on [H]. The PC gaming community has embraced Steam with open arms - a platform where once a game is purchased it is yours forever, no exceptions. You can't sell it, you can't lend it to a friend. I've never seen a single bitch about this on PC.

So why then is a console having restrictions on second-hand sales the end of the damn world? Per rumor... You can still play your game on a friends console (albeit on your Live account), and you can still sell it, choosing to have it deactivated on your account or have a duplicate license given for a fee. It boggles my mind that these reasonable restrictions are somehow received worse that the significantly more restrictive PC market.
 
Why does everyone keep repeating this? :rolleyes:

There are no fees for lending games.

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/statuses/336952046345400320

Ummm you can NOT lend your game to a friend to play... you need to lend them your ACCOUNT. Since they need to sign on your account to play.

"gamers could bring their games to a friends' house to play without paying a fee - but only if the game's owner is signed in to the Xbox Live account with which it is registered."

There is a fee to play a game on a different account/profile...

"If the player wanted to lend the game to that friend, a fee would be required in order to play the title on a different Xbox Live profile."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010
 
I do not have an Xbox 360. What is the benefit of a Gold Account? What is it needed for? What can I not do if I do not have one and how much does it cost?

Is the same type of Account going to be needed for the Xbox one?
 
Ummm you can NOT lend your game to a friend to play... you need to lend them your ACCOUNT. Since they need to sign on your account to play.

"gamers could bring their games to a friends' house to play without paying a fee - but only if the game's owner is signed in to the Xbox Live account with which it is registered."

There is a fee to play a game on a different account/profile...

"If the player wanted to lend the game to that friend, a fee would be required in order to play the title on a different Xbox Live profile."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

Notice that they're getting their information back from a Wired article that Microsoft is telling them to take down. Wired created the "fee" part from whole cloth, basically trying to conceptualize what Microsoft is doing and coming up with "facts" about the service.

Likely the owner would just be asked to uninstall the game before they lend the disc to someone. Since the game can be played while it's being installed, it's not a HUGE impedim,ent, but it's still irritating.
 
Ummm you can NOT lend your game to a friend to play... you need to lend them your ACCOUNT. Since they need to sign on your account to play.

"gamers could bring their games to a friends' house to play without paying a fee - but only if the game's owner is signed in to the Xbox Live account with which it is registered."

There is a fee to play a game on a different account/profile...

"If the player wanted to lend the game to that friend, a fee would be required in order to play the title on a different Xbox Live profile."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22623010

So the media (Wired via BBC) trumps Microsoft's statement above? Umm, okay. :rolleyes:

And Major Nelson (your quoted statement) was asked about being able to play games on someone else's Xbox, that's where that came from. That was NOT about used games at all.
 
I do not have an Xbox 360. What is the benefit of a Gold Account? What is it needed for? What can I not do if I do not have one and how much does it cost?

Is the same type of Account going to be needed for the Xbox one?

They implied that it might be required for the new console, but the gold account is required for online multiplayer and access to the online internet based applications like Netflix.
 
I do not have an Xbox 360. What is the benefit of a Gold Account? What is it needed for? What can I not do if I do not have one and how much does it cost?

Is the same type of Account going to be needed for the Xbox one?

It's a monthly fee to do anything really online. So play multiplayer games, or use most online applications (like the internet, or to use services such as Netflix [you still have to pay monthly for those obviously]).

As Microsoft has charged that for every console, in increasing amounts, it seems unlikely they'll stop it now.
 
So the media (Wired via BBC) trumps Microsoft's statement above? Umm, okay. :rolleyes:

Depends on the Microsoft statement you pick. One guy says no, 10 other Microsoft guys say there will be a fee. One guy even says there will be a fee "as much as the first player pays".
 
I'm sure "always on" will just be power to the NIC, similar to enterprise level servers & HP iLO technology. Wake on LAN perhaps? I'm not sure what all the fuss is about with this feature. Most electronics drain power a bit while plugged into an outlet. The real question is the price and how licensing is handled for games, resold games, etc. That will give you the TCO of the system. An aside . . . i think their industrial design team needs to revamp this design a little bit. Shiny is nice when its new, but a real B when its a dust magnet. Matte is much better.
 
Depends on the Microsoft statement you pick. One guy says no, 10 other Microsoft guys say there will be a fee. One guy even says there will be a fee "as much as the first player pays".

That would be Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison.
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825
"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But fear not! You'll be able to trade your used games...(probably for MS Points). :rolleyes:
 
I don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt about this, particular on [H]. The PC gaming community has embraced Steam with open arms - a platform where once a game is purchased it is yours forever, no exceptions. You can't sell it, you can't lend it to a friend. I've never seen a single bitch about this on PC.

So why then is a console having restrictions on second-hand sales the end of the damn world? Per rumor... You can still play your game on a friends console (albeit on your Live account), and you can still sell it, choosing to have it deactivated on your account or have a duplicate license given for a fee. It boggles my mind that these reasonable restrictions are somehow received worse that the significantly more restrictive PC market.

The new xbox is not competing against Steam, it's competing against Playstation 4. If Sony allows used games on their system without charging anything, then people would expect the same from Microsoft.

Can you say console games get cheaper as quick as PC games does too? That's an important point too. Not everyone wants to sell their games, I personally don't either. But then I don't buy them at full price. There are people out there who buy games at a full price knowing they could resell it. So if they can't do it here, then this is a huge turn off. If Playstation 4 allows them to trade or exchange games freely, there's no reason why they would put up with these restriction on xbox.

I do have another concern too. Do the game company get a cut? I think they should because if anyone can claim a loss of sales, its the gaming company. (Not that I think it's right, but I don't see how Microsoft fits into the equation here.)
 
I do have another concern too. Do the game company get a cut? I think they should because if anyone can claim a loss of sales, its the gaming company. (Not that I think it's right, but I don't see how Microsoft fits into the equation here.)

How can game companies claim a loss on a USED game? If anything, they're probabably very happy about this Steam-like product key system.
 
Back
Top