Xbox game pass PC

Am I seeing this right? Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Game Pass PC (Beta) are both $1 instead of $15 a month right now. (I'm assuming temporary of course and I'm trying to see how long that lasts.) Which one are people around here signing up for? The PC one?

I must say that's pretty compelling even at $10 a month because there are several games I would absolutely take for a spin. How solid is it all these days? I know there have been complaints about the MS Store in the past at least.

Last edited:
How solid is it all these days? I know there have been complaints about the MS Store in the past at least.
Extremely slow and unstable downloads (about 1/5th DL speed of steam and other launchers). It creates non-accessible non-deletable, hidden directories across all of your drives. You can't specify what folders the games are installed in, and you can't even apply a simple ini edit patch to your games, let alone mods. Otherwise it's "fine".

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Am I seeing this right? Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Game Pass PC (Beta) are both $1 instead of $15 a month right now. (I'm assuming temporary of course and I'm trying to see how long that lasts.) Which one are people around here signing up for? The PC one?

I must say that's pretty compelling even at $10 a month because there are several games I would absolutely take for a spin. How solid is it all these days? I know there have been complaints about the MS Store in the past at least.

Game Pass on PC is an incredible value, backed by the shitty as it ever was MS Store. M76 pretty much nailed it. Downloads are inconsistent and file management is a total clusterfuck. While I was subscribed I also had several games that straight up wouldn't start.

Ultimately, I canceled. The technical issues outweighed the value for me. If Microsoft ever figured out how to get their shit together in the Store, I'd give it another go. Likewise, on a closed system like Xbox, I wouldn't think twice about signing up.

Xbox Game Pass for PC exits beta next week, and the price is going up

Xbox Game Pass for PC has been bizarrely cheap since it launched into beta last year: an initial $1 trial month rolled into a $5 per month subscription, which was more than worth it for a library of over 100 games...but all good things must come to an end, and starting next week, Xbox Game Pass for PC will exit beta and its monthly price will double...

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-game-pass-for-pc-exits-beta-next-week-and-the-price-is-going-up/

I got rid of this and wiped the SSD I had it on. It creates folders that you don’t have permission to, even as administrator which is fucking stupid. You have to change the permissions in an annoying way. It kept over 50gb of a game I deleted in one of those folders. I will never install that junk again until that folder bullshit is gone.

So much hate.. yet Game Pass is letting me play and enjoy games I would have never bought directly. An absolute incredible deal and couldn't be happier with it, shitty software aside. I'll take more bugs if it means i can still play these games without having to pay for them directly.

I got rid of this and wiped the SSD I had it on. It creates folders that you don’t have permission to, even as administrator which is fucking stupid. You have to change the permissions in an annoying way. It kept over 50gb of a game I deleted in one of those folders. I will never install that junk again until that folder bullshit is gone.

At one point I somehow got GOW 5 stuck on one of my drives or something. Couldn't get the store to uninstall it, couldn't delete the fucking thing.

Can't remember what I did to eventually obliterate it. I think I used PSExec to launch a terminal as SYSTEM and that worked... or I just caved and formatted the drive. It was one of the two.

I figured the price would go up eventually. $10 per month is still fine by me as long as they continue to offer the same types of titles. With most 5-star titles costing $60 at launch, I've saved quite a bit of money so far. In some cases (like Prey), I found a hidden gem that I likely never would have bought/played otherwise.

Can't say I've had any issues with game remnants before, but I don't find it shocking. I hate how MS locks down content from their store. You can't even hide or put the damn shortcuts in a folder, which annoys me to no end. Whenever MS finally moves on from Windows 10 (or updates it enough to consider it a new version), I hope they eventually open UWP stuff up.

This is really my only complaint with it. Windows Store blows, it cannibalizes whatever you install games onto.

I'm not currently subbing, but I will when my backlog dies down a bit. When I do, I intend to dedicate an old SSD strictly to Windows Store, that way I can regularly format it and keep it clean.

Just subbed for $1 for a month to try it out, right now I have gears 5 downloading to my PC to test. I have 0 experience with larger games but I own cuphead through the MS store and it does work flawlessly for me so I don't expect this to be any different.

so I don't expect this to be any different.

You probably should.

I've subbed game pass on and off. The value is huge, but the frustration is real. Last time I gave up on it, it's because I couldn't get many of the games I wanted to play to launch. Forza, Final Fantasy, and both Oris... Wouldn't launch. Everything else worked fine.

You probably should.

I've subbed game pass on and off. The value is huge, but the frustration is real. Last time I gave up on it, it's because I couldn't get many of the games I wanted to play to launch. Forza, Final Fantasy, and both Oris... Wouldn't launch. Everything else worked fine.
Hmmm... dunno what to tell you lol. Fired up Gears 5 last night and it worked perfectly, game launched and played with 0 issues on my desktop just like cuphead does

My issue with game pass was it didn't let me choice where too install the games. I have a 256gb nvme for windows installs. GoW5 basically took up a huge chunk of it alone. Did they fix this? It has been awhile since I resubbed.

My issue with game pass was it didn't let me choice where too install the games. I have a 256gb nvme for windows installs. GoW5 basically took up a huge chunk of it alone. Did they fix this? It has been awhile since I resubbed.

For as long as I've been using it, this has been an option. Xbox App (beta).

It never let me change from c drive.aybe some kind of bug for me.
when I installed gow5 is let me install to my L: drive (my gaming nvme) with no issues. That said I use to have ALOT of issues with the windows store including not being to download any games off the store (always gave me an error) 2 years ago and the only thing that fixed it was re-installing windows 10, since then I have had 0 problems. I'm not sure what the problem was but it was super frustrating lol

Once the novelty wears off you will cancel and removing the installed games was a hassle compared to the Steam ecosystem.

some great games coming to Game Pass PC this month...Control and Yakuza Remastered Collection hit the service on January 28th...January 28th will also see the launch of The Medium, which hits the subscription service on day one...

GP.png

I thought this was going to be awesome. And for some, I'm sure it is. But I gotta tell you there are a couple things that make this a fail.

1. Games leave the service. This sucks.
2. Buggy as hell games. On a couple of occasions I've had installed a game only to be welcomed to crashes on start up. Head to the devs twitter or whatnot and people bitching about it. Devs are like "??? Must be a M$ problem".

For me, I'm regretting the 3 years of this I paid for up front. At the time I was thinking, "hell yeah!, and I'll be able to play on the xbox if I ever get one". So as it stands right now, I give this a thumbs down.

Yeah, the service isn't as good as I'd hoped...but it's still a good deal. $10 per month is only the cost of buying 2 games per year. I definitely get at least that much value from it. Whatever DRM service they're using is definitely buggy, though. I've had a couple different games have issues launching. Work arounds are trickier because most games are using UWP and the files are mostly locked down, too.

My only issues with the service been that it won't let me install games where ever the hell I want sometimes. I use a 256gb NVMe for a boot drive and it constantly wanting me to install 100gb games on it and doesn't give me a option to install one of my bigger NVMe drives.

I thought this was going to be awesome. And for some, I'm sure it is. But I gotta tell you there are a couple things that make this a fail.

1. Games leave the service. This sucks.
2. Buggy as hell games. On a couple of occasions I've had installed a game only to be welcomed to crashes on start up. Head to the devs twitter or whatnot and people bitching about it. Devs are like "??? Must be a M$ problem".

For me, I'm regretting the 3 years of this I paid for up front. At the time I was thinking, "hell yeah!, and I'll be able to play on the xbox if I ever get one". So as it stands right now, I give this a thumbs down.

paying upfront is a mistake but overall the service is fantastic...I subscribe and unsubscribe all the time based on which games are available and want to play...I think of it the same as Netflix, Disney+ and the other streaming services...you don't have to stay subscribed to all of them year round...you sign up based on which content you want to watch...sign up for Disney+ a certain month to watch The Mandalorian and unsub to Netflix...the following month cancel Disney+ and sign up to Amazon Video or Apple TV+

as far as games leaving the service- the same thing happens with PlayStation Plus etc

paying upfront is a mistake but overall the service is fantastic...I subscribe and unsubscribe all the time based on which games are available and want to play...I think of it the same as Netflix, Disney+ and the other streaming services...you don't have to stay subscribed to all of them year round...you sign up based on which content you want to watch...sign up for Disney+ a certain month to watch The Mandalorian and unsub to Netflix...the following month cancel Disney+ and sign up to Amazon Video or Apple TV+

as far as games leaving the service- the same thing happens with PlayStation Plus etc
Yes, limit on contract terms is a regular occurrence on various subscription services. The only time I would be upset about it is if a piece of content I wanted to consume was pulled in less than 6 months.

Coming to Game Pass PC- February

some interesting games coming this month...Dirt 5 was just released 3 months ago and I've always wanted to give Code Vein a try...

Wreckfest and ARPG Code Vein are arriving on February 18th...the third game in the Superhot series, Mind Control Delete drops on February 25th along with Dirt 5...

Game Pass.png

I'll give DiRT 5 a try. Everything I've been reading about it says it's bad, but I'd like to see for myself since 4 was so good.

It's an underrated souls like. I really liked it. Combat is good and playing with companions added to story.

but is it better then Mortal Shell, which is my new favorite Souls-like game (I haven't played the Nioh games yet)?

but is it better then Mortal Shell, which is my new favorite Souls-like game (I haven't played the Nioh games yet)?

I liked it better because there was more story and character interaction. I was hyped for Mortal Shell and it was good...just not as good as I was hoping. World left me feeling kinda blah.

Edit: Nioh 1/2 are easily the best Souls like IMO, especially 2.

What ever happened to getting ea games and bethesda games on here?
EA Play will be added to Game Pass for PC some time this year.

Bethesda games available right now on the service:
  • Dishonored 2
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Fallout 76
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Is anyone having crashes to desktop playing Dirt 5? I keep getting crashes after a while. Running latest drivers, fresh install of Windows and now running my computer completely stock.

rumors are that Fallout 4, Skyrim Special Edition and Evil Within are coming to Game Pass PC this week...

At least this hopefully means we don't have to use the crappy Bethesda launcher anymore, and most of the games should just install/run natively via Windows Store/Xbox app

Bethesda games were added to Game Pass today. These are the ones on PC:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/11/20-bethesda-games-now-on-xbox-game-pass/
  • Dishonored: Definitive Edition
  • Dishonored 2
  • DOOM (1993)
  • DOOM II
  • DOOM 3
  • DOOM 64
  • DOOM Eternal
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  • The Elder Scrolls Online
  • The Evil Within
  • Fallout 4
  • Fallout 76
  • Prey
  • RAGE 2
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Fallout: New Vegas is the only game released today that is not available on PC.

I recall New Vegas (which isn't there for now) being almost unplayable without tons and tons of ini tweaks and such. Considering how temperamental Bethesda's games can be, I'd hope they'd at least give you access to the config files instead of burying them within the confines of the dreaded WindowsApps folder.

I recall New Vegas (which isn't there for now) being almost unplayable without tons and tons of ini tweaks and such. Considering how temperamental Bethesda's games can be, I'd hope they'd at least give you access to the config files instead of burying them within the confines of the dreaded WindowsApps folder.
I got through the entire game earning all Steam achievements at release without any tweaks or mods on a single 8800 GTX and Core 2 Quad QX6700, running on (gasp!) Windows Vista.

Back