Xbox game pass PC

Q-BZ

Fully [H]
Am I seeing this right? Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Game Pass PC (Beta) are both $1 instead of $15 a month right now. (I'm assuming temporary of course and I'm trying to see how long that lasts.) Which one are people around here signing up for? The PC one?

I must say that's pretty compelling even at $10 a month because there are several games I would absolutely take for a spin. How solid is it all these days? I know there have been complaints about the MS Store in the past at least.

Last edited:

M76

[H]F Junkie
How solid is it all these days? I know there have been complaints about the MS Store in the past at least.
Extremely slow and unstable downloads (about 1/5th DL speed of steam and other launchers). It creates non-accessible non-deletable, hidden directories across all of your drives. You can't specify what folders the games are installed in, and you can't even apply a simple ini edit patch to your games, let alone mods. Otherwise it's "fine".

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Am I seeing this right? Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Game Pass PC (Beta) are both $1 instead of $15 a month right now. (I'm assuming temporary of course and I'm trying to see how long that lasts.) Which one are people around here signing up for? The PC one?

I must say that's pretty compelling even at $10 a month because there are several games I would absolutely take for a spin. How solid is it all these days? I know there have been complaints about the MS Store in the past at least.

Game Pass on PC is an incredible value, backed by the shitty as it ever was MS Store. M76 pretty much nailed it. Downloads are inconsistent and file management is a total clusterfuck. While I was subscribed I also had several games that straight up wouldn't start.

Ultimately, I canceled. The technical issues outweighed the value for me. If Microsoft ever figured out how to get their shit together in the Store, I'd give it another go. Likewise, on a closed system like Xbox, I wouldn't think twice about signing up.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Xbox Game Pass for PC exits beta next week, and the price is going up

Xbox Game Pass for PC has been bizarrely cheap since it launched into beta last year: an initial $1 trial month rolled into a $5 per month subscription, which was more than worth it for a library of over 100 games...but all good things must come to an end, and starting next week, Xbox Game Pass for PC will exit beta and its monthly price will double...

https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-game-pass-for-pc-exits-beta-next-week-and-the-price-is-going-up/

-Strelok-

[H]F Junkie
I got rid of this and wiped the SSD I had it on. It creates folders that you don’t have permission to, even as administrator which is fucking stupid. You have to change the permissions in an annoying way. It kept over 50gb of a game I deleted in one of those folders. I will never install that junk again until that folder bullshit is gone.

criccio

Fully Equipped
So much hate.. yet Game Pass is letting me play and enjoy games I would have never bought directly. An absolute incredible deal and couldn't be happier with it, shitty software aside. I'll take more bugs if it means i can still play these games without having to pay for them directly.

socK

2[H]4U
I got rid of this and wiped the SSD I had it on. It creates folders that you don’t have permission to, even as administrator which is fucking stupid. You have to change the permissions in an annoying way. It kept over 50gb of a game I deleted in one of those folders. I will never install that junk again until that folder bullshit is gone.

At one point I somehow got GOW 5 stuck on one of my drives or something. Couldn't get the store to uninstall it, couldn't delete the fucking thing.

Can't remember what I did to eventually obliterate it. I think I used PSExec to launch a terminal as SYSTEM and that worked... or I just caved and formatted the drive. It was one of the two.

Domingo

Fully [H]
I figured the price would go up eventually. $10 per month is still fine by me as long as they continue to offer the same types of titles. With most 5-star titles costing $60 at launch, I've saved quite a bit of money so far. In some cases (like Prey), I found a hidden gem that I likely never would have bought/played otherwise.

Can't say I've had any issues with game remnants before, but I don't find it shocking. I hate how MS locks down content from their store. You can't even hide or put the damn shortcuts in a folder, which annoys me to no end. Whenever MS finally moves on from Windows 10 (or updates it enough to consider it a new version), I hope they eventually open UWP stuff up.

Viper87227

Fully [H]

This is really my only complaint with it. Windows Store blows, it cannibalizes whatever you install games onto.

I'm not currently subbing, but I will when my backlog dies down a bit. When I do, I intend to dedicate an old SSD strictly to Windows Store, that way I can regularly format it and keep it clean.

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
Just subbed for $1 for a month to try it out, right now I have gears 5 downloading to my PC to test. I have 0 experience with larger games but I own cuphead through the MS store and it does work flawlessly for me so I don't expect this to be any different.

Viper87227

Fully [H]
so I don't expect this to be any different.

You probably should.

I've subbed game pass on and off. The value is huge, but the frustration is real. Last time I gave up on it, it's because I couldn't get many of the games I wanted to play to launch. Forza, Final Fantasy, and both Oris... Wouldn't launch. Everything else worked fine.

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
You probably should.

I've subbed game pass on and off. The value is huge, but the frustration is real. Last time I gave up on it, it's because I couldn't get many of the games I wanted to play to launch. Forza, Final Fantasy, and both Oris... Wouldn't launch. Everything else worked fine.
Hmmm... dunno what to tell you lol. Fired up Gears 5 last night and it worked perfectly, game launched and played with 0 issues on my desktop just like cuphead does

vegeta535

Supreme [H]ardness
My issue with game pass was it didn't let me choice where too install the games. I have a 256gb nvme for windows installs. GoW5 basically took up a huge chunk of it alone. Did they fix this? It has been awhile since I resubbed.

criccio

Fully Equipped
My issue with game pass was it didn't let me choice where too install the games. I have a 256gb nvme for windows installs. GoW5 basically took up a huge chunk of it alone. Did they fix this? It has been awhile since I resubbed.

For as long as I've been using it, this has been an option. Xbox App (beta).

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
It never let me change from c drive.aybe some kind of bug for me.
when I installed gow5 is let me install to my L: drive (my gaming nvme) with no issues. That said I use to have ALOT of issues with the windows store including not being to download any games off the store (always gave me an error) 2 years ago and the only thing that fixed it was re-installing windows 10, since then I have had 0 problems. I'm not sure what the problem was but it was super frustrating lol

drutman

Limp Gawd
Once the novelty wears off you will cancel and removing the installed games was a hassle compared to the Steam ecosystem.