xbox 360 dashboard update

bufodr_T

Supreme [H]ardness
got it at 7 pm anyone else get it? i like it better than the old one

Got it, liking it so far. The new Kinect gesture controls are FAAAAAR better than they were, literally just move your hand to the side of the screen and swipe, no waiting for the icon to register...it's really badass. The voice controls seem pretty sweet too.

Epix isn't up yet, anyone know if that's a subscription service or included with Live Gold?

I still sorta miss the original blades. :(

I like it better than NXE though. Still glitchy though, I've gotten disconnected and reconnected several times from Live now for no reason.

I like the old design better but I guess I will get used to it.. a few nice features this time around. Cloud saves is a plus.

+1 for cloud saves. About effing time for improved Netflix with 5.1 surround. Waiting to see what happens with the rest of the "apps".

mine crashed all last night and wouldn't update after a stupid number of attempts. I wanted to beat my xbox

+1 for cloud saves. About effing time for improved Netflix with 5.1 surround. Waiting to see what happens with the rest of the "apps".

Yea, that is a big plus, and it added support for subtitles - not all movies have it but nice to see they are working on it.

I just don't understand with the voice commands (which work GREAT IMHO) I can't say "Xbox Shutdown" to get it to turn off.

The new Netflix app looks like it was done by an intern - its so slow and buggy, and removed a ton of features. Can't pick tv episodes, thumb buttons don't ff/rwd like they used to, did I mention the lag? And of course party is gone. I think the only thing that actually works is Kinect support which I don't care about.

I just don't understand with the voice commands (which work GREAT IMHO) I can't say "Xbox Shutdown" to get it to turn off.

They'll implement that one right after they get "Xbox... Kill" working
/penny arcade

On a related note apparently the terms of service for this update include the requirement to agree to neutral arbitration with MS instead of suing them. Hopefully thats just because Sony got away with the same thing already and not because all the new slims have a defect rate similiar to the launch units or something.

My wife was the first to hit the update. She turned on the xbox yesterday and it popped up wanting her to update, she thought nothing of it and than got scared for a few minutes after it finished updating. She told me it took her a little time to figure out the new layout and move around, plus netflix changed schema too, so that took time as well.

I jumped on early this morning and thought it looked really neat and all, but the old is kinda better.

The on think that bothers me is the streaming ads. I'm already paying for Xbox Live and the old ads rarely streamed (until recently) and you had to enter them. Now its real easy to hover over them.

I just don't need it eating my bandwidth on a service I'm paying for.

Different is interesting, but I'm not sure its better once the newness wears off.

The new interface is definitely better than any other the older versions. I guess I like change a whole lot when it means great improvement.

About effing time for improved Netflix with 5.1 surround.

Too little, too late for us; we've already dumped Netflix for Blockbuster (we're Dish subscribers) + Amazon Prime Instant Video.

Good to hear for Netflixers, though. Always drove me crazy that Netflix kept touting streaming, streaming, streaming but could not offer surround sound for 360 users. The audio is as important as the image quality to me.

Pass on Netflix. Pass on Kinect. Pass on Hulu. Pass on stupid Windows Phone, and Windows 8 tile layout. Pass on Larry Hryb - I can't stand his smug face. Pass on secret santa and office parties.

Bah Humbug, I'm in a bad mood today.

+1 cloud saves

Last edited:
Too little, too late for us; we've already dumped Netflix for Blockbuster (we're Dish subscribers) + Amazon Prime Instant Video.

Good to hear for Netflixers, though. Always drove me crazy that Netflix kept touting streaming, streaming, streaming but could not offer surround sound for 360 users. The audio is as important as the image quality to me.

TBF, if I couldn't use Netflix on my phone and 360 so conveniently, I would have dropped streaming when I dropped DVD by mail, and just download everything, so they still get 8 a month from me. The other services don't stream thru the console, so i don't even consider them, and I assume no android app either.

I'm liking it so far. It took a while to update and I was disconnected a small handful of times from xbxlive, but I figured Tuesday night was a busy night for the servers.....

While some of these other interfaces are nice looking, IMO, the easiest one to actually get anything done was the one the 360 shipped with.

I think the look is an improvement overall, but the ads seem worse now than ever. Front and center on every page.

While some of these other interfaces are nice looking, IMO, the easiest one to actually get anything done was the one the 360 shipped with.

I agree. I really liked the initial interface, but these past two were fugly.. And really, paying for freaking service that is free on the other 2 systems, and i have adds? If you have gold service the adds should be disabled, but i guess they figured out the silver guys dont use the sevice, much.

Cloud saves seems really cool.

This update has changed the way my xbox shuts down for some reason. Now when I press the power button to turn it off (or use the dashboard command for that matter), the fans still spin for about 10 seconds after the initial "power down". The green middle light will then blink for a slpit second then the system totally shuts off.

Was this a safety feature or is my box bugged? :p Regardless.. I kinda like it doing this lol

I had problems downloading it but it is up and running very well now. The interface could be better, but I was really impressed with the voice search feature. It has understood everything I have said so far and has made finding Netflix movies that much faster.

This update has changed the way my xbox shuts down for some reason. Now when I press the power button to turn it off (or use the dashboard command for that matter), the fans still spin for about 10 seconds after the initial "power down". The green middle light will then blink for a slpit second then the system totally shuts off.

Was this a safety feature or is my box bugged? :p Regardless.. I kinda like it doing this lol

If you have cloud saves activated when shutting down it will take extra time to finish syncing.

If you have cloud saves activated when shutting down it will take extra time to finish syncing.

Ah ok thanks. It had me confused as there is basically no signs of life in the console aside from the fans spinning. Still not a problem though :cool:

Seems to be a very minimal emphasis placed on actual games and gaming on the new dashboard. You have to slide over Bing, home, social, TV and video before you can even get to your game library.

MS is really pushing the 360 as an everything-box.

Seems to be a very minimal emphasis placed on actual games and gaming on the new dashboard. You have to slide over Bing, home, social, TV and video before you can even get to your game library.

MS is really pushing the 360 as an everything-box.

True it does feel to an extent clunkier for most peoples main purpose. Gaming!

Yeah that irregular size tile interface is annoying. Might look neat at first blush, until you try to actually find something and navigate.

Don't like the new interface at all, much preferred the previous one. They are going for the unified metro look, which is not good imo. If this is what win8 is going to look like then I'll take a pass on that too. Only bought a new xbox because it HAD the best netflix UI I had used, and the new netflix is an absolute abortion. Will probably return it and just get a roku.

Every time I start getting used a design, they change it. =/

Lol, true, though thankgoodness they had the sensibility of leaving the middle button interface screens the same.. Like the old blade system. Im really starting to miss the old blade system now.

I hate the fucking advertisements , I already paid for fucking Gold service every year ..why am I being eye fucked by shit that should be thrown at Silver members? :mad:

Everything is so massively split up , getting to Indie games is now like 4 menu's deep and Netflix is just awful now with rows of crap being thrown at you.. I much preferred the last GUI.

Today I'm going to go through the pain in the ass procedure to block the ads on Live , I shouldn't have to do this as a Gold member customer.

So I have the new update installed. Not sure how I feel about it. Where is the arcade games tab in the marketplace? Everything just seems so cumbersome.

I hate the fucking advertisements , I already paid for fucking Gold service every year ..why am I being eye fucked by shit that should be thrown at Silver members? :mad:

Everything is so massively split up , getting to Indie games is now like 4 menu's deep and Netflix is just awful now with rows of crap being thrown at you.. I much preferred the last GUI.

Today I'm going to go through the pain in the ass procedure to block the ads on Live , I shouldn't have to do this as a Gold member customer.

http://consumerist.com/2011/12/heres-a-way-to-block-ads-on-the-new-xbox-dashboard.html

I know you said you were doing it, but for others, here's how.

yeah i feel ya on that, its kinda confusing to negative on the new dashboard.

Hate, hate, hate the new dash. All I really need is games, video and settings. I may end up going back to the last dash.

after spending some time with the new update. I like: Cloud Saves, the new gamer profile setup (no more recovering) quickplay the new simpler friends setup.

It's growing on me.

anybody's elses controllers not charging anymore when the system is powered off?

Back