x1950 Pro AGP: ATi throws AGP a bone

I remember Diamond announced a card but it turned out to be wrong.
This looks like it's for real. :cool:

What did they cripple on this card? I've moved on to PCI-E already but it just seems like they wouldn't release a somewhat high quality card on AGP this late in the game.

Well, I for one am thrilled about this. YAY!!
I know alot of people did not want to see this happen, but if this is true, I think we'll see alot of people like me who are going to be happy about it.

I have an older (~1.5-2 year) AGP system, and I'm not ready to upgrade yet. I want to wait and see what all the DX10 fuss winds up being about, let it mature a bit before I rush out and build a DX10 system. A card like this would be the perfect hold-me-over until the first generation of DX10 stuff gets sorted out.

I really hope it's for real this time...

I would buy if it was $200.00, but overclockers uk has it listed for what is equal to $299.99.

mentok1982 said:
I would buy if it was $200.00, but overclockers uk has it listed for what is equal to $299.99.

Yea seems as though AGP cards are at a premium right now.
The X850xt cards are selling between $250-$350 at a lot of venders.

bobyjo said:
Yea seems as though AGP cards are at a premium right now.
The X850xt cards are selling between $250-$350 at a lot of venders.

Lawl tigerdirect has it for $469

Riddlinkidstoner said:
Lawl tigerdirect has it for $469

WHAT??!!

Um, ok. If that's the case, please forget everything I said in my previous post.

$469.00 is a joke, they are fucking insane if they think anyone is going to drop that kind of cash on an AGP card. I am their target consumer, and there is no way I would invest that kind of money in a hold-over product. If I'm going to spend like that, it's got to be something that will last at least a year or two.

digital_exhaust said:
WHAT??!!

Um, ok. If that's the case, please forget everything I said in my previous post.

$469.00 is a joke, they are fucking insane if they think anyone is going to drop that kind of cash on an AGP card. I am their target consumer, and there is no way I would invest that kind of money in a hold-over product. If I'm going to spend like that, it's got to be something that will last at least a year or two.
Looks like $299 is the MSRP.
Out of curiosity, how willing are you to buy it at that price point?

jebo_4jc said:

I might bite..:)

X-bit labs said:
The new ATI Radeon X1950 Pro AGP products are likely to become the fastest add-in graphics accelerators for outdated personal computers with AGP 8x slot

Those bastards called my rig "outdated" :)

jebo_4jc said:

I would definately consider $300, maybe $325, but I could not justify $469.00.

Anyone who thought this card would be $200 was kidding themselves. And I can almost guarantee that a lot of people will pay $300. Hell, a lot of people imported the Gainward 7800 GS, a slower card, for $400. The fact is that there are plenty of people with fast enough CPU's on AGP who want to continue playing the latest games at good settings, but who don't want to upgrade their whole systems yet.

Another question for the good of the cause:

For those that are considering this card, what CPU/mobo are you using?

The PCI-E was supposed to retail at $199, but since it came out everyone has been price gouging and charging $300.
You can get a 256mb XT for less than that which is superior in every way, so I don't know what kind of crack they're smoking.
But the $200 msrp probably won't hold for an agp card since it needs a bridge chip.

arthur_tuxedo said:
Anyone who thought this card would be $200 was kidding themselves. And I can almost guarantee that a lot of people will pay $300. Hell, a lot of people imported the Gainward 7800 GS, a slower card, for $400. The fact is that there are plenty of people with fast enough CPU's on AGP who want to continue playing the latest games at good settings, but who don't want to upgrade their whole systems yet.

I bit on that, but I want to get rid of it, the damn thing is sucking my system dry of power right now!!! it also gets fairly warm, from what I've seen with the 1950 is its really fast, looks like it'll contend with my BLISS+ but at the same time tone down the heat in my AGP system (something i need since its on 24/7)

So i'm selling the bliss+ to a friend when/if I get this.

I love my P4 3.0 almost enough to get this. Almost. I know I must replace the whole PC soon and I think that's what I will do. If the cards suddenly dropped to $149 or something, then hmm...

Heh I sold my x850xt pe agp for like 250 not too long ago...

agp users always get the shit end of the stick.

$300 is not a bad price at ALL.

Ordering from the UK, you don't get hit with the VAT, so it looks like it would only be $325 including intl shipping from overclockers.co.uk. Not bad at all for the amount of performance, and a good bit cheaper than upgrading a whole system for many of us. Whether that's worth it depends on if the card will hit US retailers or not, but any way you slice it, this card is the best deal AGP users have had in some time.

SuperSubZero said:
I love my P4 3.0 almost enough to get this.

I do love my P4 3.0g enough. If they become available for $300, I think I'll have to bite. I'm just not ready to upgrade yet..

Darn...I just got my 7800GS over the summer. Well maybe I could resell it for $150-$200, I'd then be looking at only $100-$150. So my question is, if this isn't crippled in any way, how much of an improvement is there over my 7800GS? What nVidia card is it about equal to?

This is not a DX10 card and it uses a chip to translate data, which probably slows it down alot.

speaking of AGP cards, my built-by-ATI 850XT AIW was purchased for $195 CDN. :cool:

Bridge chips don't really reduce performance noticably, this card was matched up with a 7900GS and the 7950GT's and did really well

If the AGP version of this card is $250US or lower, I'll pick one up, but I'm not going to splurge out my savings if it's going to go for ridiculous prices. For that money, I think I'd rather do an all-around upgrade.

hardc0re said:
This is not a DX10 card and it uses a chip to translate data, which probably slows it down alot.

speaking of AGP cards, my built-by-ATI 850XT AIW was purchased for $195 CDN. :cool:

untrue. different is negligible. refer to 7600gt agp review article comparisons with 7600gt pci-express

I'll bite if the price is right. My 3.2C based, x800xtpe AGP rig is still kickin'. I just finished PREY using the highest details @ 1600x1200, 2xAA/8xAF with acceptable performance. FPS only dipped to the 20's in the most demanding situations.

I too am not ready to upgrade to pci-e. When Vista arrives and things chill out we'll see.

-edit-

After reviewing the performance of the x1950Pro I think I'll pass. Not much of an upgrade for me @ this point in time.

I actually just posted another thread over in the main video card section before I saw this post. I was going to make the jump over to PCI-E/Core 2 this fall, but now that I see this I am half tempted to stick with my old rig till spring when Vista and the R600 comes out. How badly bottlenecked do you think the card would be by my old Prestonia based Dual 3.4 Xeons? I am just wondering if there is any point doing any more upgrades to this aging rig.

3.4 GHz Xeon Shouldn't be bottlenecked at all in most games when paired up with anything short of Quad SLI or X1950 XTX Crossfire.

jebo_4jc said:

Im on a 3.4ES @ 3.8 on a MAX 3 With 2 gig Corsair PC3500

And a Viper John X850XT=PE @636/651

It'll drop closer to $200 once supply catches up with demand - look at the PCI-E version, it's already in stock at $199, it just took a week.

I had an NForce 3 board w/ A64 3000+, so I would have bought this, but a month ago I swapped my CPU and memory over to an NForce4, and got a cheap 7800GTX.

I would not have paid $250 for this though, since my Epox motherboard swap only cost me $75.

Like several others here I too have just enough cpu/system horsepower to justify this card. As I did just move to a 7600GT I'll bide my time if I move at all on this guy. When I got my 7600GT last month I thought it was my last agp video card. However, if the performance gap is big enough and I can sell my GT for enough $ I'd consider this card

I do question whether my PSU can push this card or not, though. 16 A on the 12V rail might be cutting it close, although the rest of the system doesn't draw much so I might be okay. X1950 Pro's are supposed to draw a lot less than their big brothers.

My old system is a P4 3.0HT and i'd consider 199 to get it a better card than the X700vivo it has now.

Looked at some various sites, and it seems that 200-210 Watts draw for the entire system at load is the norm for X1950 Pro's, and the rest of the test systems were much beefier than mine, so it looks like I'm well within a good safety margin.

I have mine up and running as of today. I have a good powersupply and no problems any more than the X800XT I just removed.
Haven't had any time to do any benchs as yet, the HD on the wifes system died last evening. This makes three (3) Maxtor Diamond Max's and will be no more.
I am gonna place the 120gb WD se drive out of my unit and place in hers. I will have to get a SATA 3gb to go in this system.

jebo_4jc said:
Another question for the good of the cause: For those that are considering this card, what CPU/mobo are you using?
Pentium 4 HT 3GHz, Abit AI7 Motherboard, 1 Gig RAM.

jebo_4jc said:

I've got P4 3.0 @ 3.4 with an ABIT VT7 and 2G RAM running at DDR 450... I'd easily consider this card as it would give a great improvement over my 6800... The only thing I'm worried about is that my 350W PSU wont be enough. It's barely hangin on as is... :(

Back