x1950 Pro AGP: ATi throws AGP a bone

Candymancan said:
^^ Go buy a dell if you cant build a computer. People work yes but not 24/7 7 days a week well not everyone Im sure he will have time to swap mobo's out lol..
Of course! Why did I type out all those reasoned arguments when I could have just bought a Dell? It all makes so much sense now.

Candymancan said:
$listen 500-600 you can buy this

Asus Crossfire motherboard for $125
165 Opteron $150
Asus X1950pro $169

Thats $444, Then since ur memory kinda sucks get a 2GB kit off something thatll be like $180. So the total will be $624.

I just can't see recommending this. Core2Duo is the way to go. You can easily get a Gigabyte 965DS3 board, a 1.86Ghz C2D chip, and 1GB of DDR2 800, for just about $400. If you add a X1950Pro at $199, you are looking at a upgrade for $600 if you can cannibalize your current HD, Optical Drives, Sound Card (if you have one), Case and PSU. Also, since the X1950Pro is a energy efficient card, you probably won't need a PSU upgrade. And it runs pretty cool, so the OC potential is high.

Take my system for instance.

P4 - 3.0Ghz - S478__________________Core 2 Duo - 1.86Ghz (OC)
2GB Corsair DDR PC3200____________1GB DDR2-800
X800XT PE 256MB__________________X1950Pro 256MB (OC)
ECS MicroATX VIAPT880____________Gigabyte MicroATX 965
250GB IDE Maxtor
160GB SATA Maxtor
Lite-On DVDRW LightScribe
Lite-On CDRW/DVD-ROM
Creative Extigy 5.1
350W Silenx MicroATX PSU

The system is great, except for the processor, MoBo, memory, and GPU. Fix those, and it's golden. For $600, that would be a great deal, and make this PC kick ass (especially for a MicroATX).

Dayvon said:
Take my system for instance.

P4 - 3.0Ghz - S478__________________Core 2 Duo - 1.86Ghz (OC)
2GB Corsair DDR PC3200____________1GB DDR2-800
X800XT PE 256MB__________________X1950Pro 256MB (OC)
ECS MicroATX VIAPT880____________Gigabyte MicroATX 965
250GB IDE Maxtor
160GB SATA Maxtor
Lite-On DVDRW LightScribe
Lite-On CDRW/DVD-ROM
Creative Extigy 5.1
350W Silenx MicroATX PSU

The system is great, except for the processor, MoBo, memory, and GPU. Fix those, and it's golden. For $600, that would be a great deal, and make this PC kick ass (especially for a MicroATX).

The only problems I see with your arguement is that you'd be going from 2GB to 1GB which I wouldn't want to do. That and I'm not sure a 350W power supply would be enough for that upgrade... The recommended power supply for the x1950pro is 450W. I know recommended is always overkill but 350W is a little low. I think you'd have instability issues. If recommended was 400W then I think you'd be ok

Sorry, but is the above post a definite answer to what Power Supply you need to run this card.

My P4P800DLX has been preety good to me, and I have no complaints with my AGP system except I have a Tisonic 420W Power supply.

Does anyone know if this will be enough, (it may be 460w actually) but either way

Looks like this card will be the final solution for AGP owners.

And not at the cost of a BLISS+

Hmm I thought I read that somewhere... let me see if I can give a link. If I cant then I'll change my post so I wont be spreading around bullshit... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Well it seems the PCI-e versions recommend a 450W PSU ( EXAMPLE ) but I cant find any place that shows the AGP versions recommendations... I would think they would be the same. Please explain if you think I am wrong :)

Geo Fry said:
The only problems I see with your arguement is that you'd be going from 2GB to 1GB which I wouldn't want to do. That and I'm not sure a 350W power supply would be enough for that upgrade... The recommended power supply for the x1950pro is 450W. I know recommended is always overkill but 350W is a little low. I think you'd have instability issues. If recommended was 400W then I think you'd be ok

Well, that's kind of the crap you get for having a MicroATX system that needs a MicroATX PSU. They cost alot more, and dont come as powerful. The highest watt MATX PSU I've seen is this one - http://www.silenx.com/ixtremapropsus.asp?sku=ixm-40-14 - and it's only 400watts. The good thing is though, these PSU's are very efficient compared to their ATX PSUs. I would guess that the X1950Pro pulls less power than my X800XT-PE heat-monster, and that thing runs fine.

I've figured that the X1950Pro pulls about 8amps on the 12V rail. (Documentation says when adding a second X1950Pro, you need 8 more amps on 12V). That combined with the 1.86Ghz Conroe, I bet things will be fine. Right now I have a Pres-hott at 3.0Ghz and a X800XTPE. That crap requires tons of good power, and my system hasn't blinked. If I remember correctly, my PSU has 20a on the 12V rail. Should be enough for one single slot GPU and a CPU.

RobotChild said:
Hmm... Would that be bottlenecked by my Athlon XP 2600+ OC'd to 2.3GHz?

I think so - you should upgrade your system rather than blow $250 on an AGP card. I'd build a PCI-E system and get a cheaper card, like $100 range instead.

Varmint said:
I think so - you should upgrade your system rather than blow $250 on an AGP card. I'd build a PCI-E system and get a cheaper card, like $100 range instead.
It's just a rig I carry around to LANs and such right now.
Has a 6800 in it.

Main rig has a X850XT PCI-E.
Maybe I'll get the PCI-e version.

Just a few opinions for the AGP doomsayers out there.

I am currently running a A64 S754 3200+, DFI LanParty NF3 250Gb with a Radeon x850XT PE. I can run F.E.A.R. at 1280 x 1024 and get about 30-40 FPS average. Granted, some of the eye candy, AA and AF are turned off but it still looks and plays amazing. I've been holding off on upgrading through 2 different AMD socket changes (754 > 939 > AM2) and I have yet to see any hard evidence that would warrant a complete system overhaul. Even the Intel Core 2 Duo platforms are not enough to make me spend $1000 on a whole new rig.

With the announcement of the x1950 AGP car, I am very excited that I can now get 1-2 more years out of my current machine for $250-$300. I might also upgrade to a 3400+ CPU for another $100. So, for a total cost of $400ish, I will have a machine that can keep up with any of today's games.

Keep in mind, 99.99% of current games do not take advantage of dual core architecture. Quake 4 being the only one that I know of, and even the numbers for that do not impress me. Upgrading to a dual core, DDR2, PCI-E machine would easily cost in the $1000 range. Yes, it might be more "future proof" but who knows what other changes are coming down the pipe that will not be supported by current mobo/cpu.video cards (DDR3, SATA2, PCI-E2?, etc.)

I'd say, if you currently have a well-performing AGP system, then a $250-$300 upgrade for this card is definitely worth it. I know I will be buying one as soon as they are available. At first, I was a little concerned that GeCube would only be offering these in the UK, but I recently came across the following offering from Powercolor. Looks promising!

http://www.powercolor.com/global/main_product_detail.asp?id=137

Biggrich76 said:
I'd say, if you currently have a well-performing AGP system, then a $250-$300 upgrade for this card is definitely worth it. I know I will be buying one as soon as they are available. At first, I was a little concerned that GeCube would only be offering these in the UK, but I recently came across the following offering from Powercolor. Looks promising!

http://www.powercolor.com/global/main_product_detail.asp?id=137

I agree the other thing that some of the AGP crowd are holding out for is skipping a gen of technology. Most of us are on 90nm and would like to skip to 45nm in about 9mos. For me an investment of 300 bucks to hold me over to that point is well worth it. Then I will drop 3k on a building myself a killer system. Quad core York, and Quad 8800GTX's and 4gig of memory and dual 150 raptors should make for a gaming rig to have for several years.

Sunin

I really hope that the manufactuers come out with good solutions for AGP.

I have a 2 x 3.0 Xeon system that i am using now that is perfectly fine and i am not willing to build a new system just to move to PCIE because i believe my system is still powerful.

I might get this card if the price is right. Still running a 9800pro here.

Sunin said:
I agree the other thing that some of the AGP crowd are holding out for is skipping a gen of technology. Most of us are on 90nm and would like to skip to 45nm in about 9mos. For me an investment of 300 bucks to hold me over to that point is well worth it. Then I will drop 3k on a building myself a killer system. Quad core York, and Quad 8800GTX's and 4gig of memory and dual 150 raptors should make for a gaming rig to have for several years.

Sunin

I think you mean 65 nm rather than 45 nm - the latter is 2 years away at least.

Nobody should buy the 8800GTX - it might be next year's 7800GTX, which I picked up for $120 a year after it sold for $600.

Varmint said:

Nobody should buy the 8800GTX - it might be next year's 7800GTX, which I picked up for $120 a year after it sold for $600.

Just think what the ATI realm will have by then.
First out of the blocks with the 80nm gpu, maybe 60nm in a year or so.
No one should have to run dual 8800's no matter who makes them.
I would think technology will have a GX2 etc that will perform as well as dual cards in a year or so.

Varmint said:

Um look on intel we will have 45nm Quad cores Q2 or Q3 of 2007...

Varmint said:
He's talking about GPUs.

Ahh, well then yeah that makes sense, but honestly, if in Q2 of 07 I can hop up to a quad core 45nm, and a quad 8800gtx, I think I'll be sitting with enough graphics power to drive my 52inch for at least 2 years without a hiccup.

But honestly that doesn't make sense in his post... I was talking about some of us are trying to skip a technology gen by buying the above card. Obviously I'm not skipping 65nm tech on gpu's then most likely right? :confused: Sometimes its more clear in my head then how it comes out in type!

Sunin

Originally Posted by jebo_4jc
Another question for the good of the cause:

For those that are considering this card, what CPU/mobo are you using?

see sig I just bought my X800XL and the only game I have had problems with is CD3 for some reason

Biggrich76 said:
I am currently running a A64 S754 3200+, DFI LanParty NF3 250Gb with a Radeon x850XT PE. I can run F.E.A.R. at 1280 x 1024 and get about 30-40 FPS average. Granted, some of the eye candy, AA and AF are turned off but it still looks and plays amazing. I've been holding off on upgrading through 2 different AMD socket changes (754 > 939 > AM2) and I have yet to see any hard evidence that would warrant a complete system overhaul. Even the Intel Core 2 Duo platforms are not enough to make me spend $1000 on a whole new rig.

I agree, except I have an AMD Barton OC'd to 2.4GHz on air. :D I'll have to wait and see if the performance difference between the x850XT and the x1950 is really big enough to justify going through cards so quickly though...

Has anyone heard any rumors of the actual street date?

Seeing as I'm sticking with my current AGP system I just yesterday received my new BFG 7800GS OC Overclocked card, only to discover this new offering from ATI. Now the debate I'm having with myself is if I should return the 7800, wait until the new X1950 Pro AGP is out and go with that card.

Nope I haven't. I've been trying to look for a date cause I want to get rid of my 6800GS ASAP. I want a better card to power my 1680x1050 res. I wouldn't even mind the 7800GS, and the x1950pro would bring the price of that down quite a bit.

Must go surf Antec's site... Sonata II's hmmm I kno wthey have 450w Truepower II's, but the amps I dunno. If I have to buy a PSU to support this card it may just make me do a partial upgrade to get me ready for Quad core in 3Q07. Ack both 12v rails are either 15A or 17A. Sheesh that makes this card not feasible for this system. Now the thing is do I buy a PSU that can handle Quad PCIE and that way when I upgrade down the road I am golden on the PSU? Or just make the jump to PCI-E and get a dual core. Grrr I hate having out date equipment.

Tzzird said:
who actually has a 450 Watt or greater PSU with 30amps on the 12v rail?

That's also the official requirements written on the side of my BBA X1900XT.
Hard to believe a card with 3/4 the transistors on a die shrink needs the same current.
My friend is running my old X1800XL with only an antec smart power 2.0 350watts w/ 25 amps on the 12v line. That's got to pull more current than an X1950pro.

Stereophile said:
That's also the official requirements written on the side of my BBA X1900XT.
Hard to believe a card with 3/4 the transistors on a die shrink needs the same current.
My friend is running my old X1800XL with only an antec smart power 2.0 350watts w/ 25 amps on the 12v line. That's got to pull more current than an X1950pro.

Yeah I'm thinking this card will not be as power hungry as my 6800GS... or maybe about the same. I've been running my 6800GS on an Antec Smart Power 350W no problem at all. Both my GPU and CPU are decently overclocked too.

Hmm so you think my 7800GS is more taxing then the new 1950pro as far as power consumption? I'm just nervous last thing I want to do is buy a 300 vid card and then not have the psu in place ot drive it on home!

Sunin said:
Hmm so you think my 7800GS is more taxing then the new 1950pro as far as power consumption? I'm just nervous last thing I want to do is buy a 300 vid card and then not have the psu in place ot drive it on home!

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure the 7800GS is more taxing than an x1950pro power-wise. I will do a little research brb

EDIT: Ouch look at these charts... the 7800GS actually has less power consumption than a 6800GS. I found a few more sites saying the same thing... so yea it seems the 7800GS is quite power efficient

Guess I will test how well Antec puts their PSU's together. Try it if it doesn't work upgrade the antec 450 Smart Power 2

I have an Antec 480 watt. I'm good. Now when is that damn card coming out?!?!?

I had a neopower 480 and it was not sufficient when I got my 7800GS. I had to upgrade to a neo550. The card's voltage regulators were squeeling like crazy with the 480... there just wasn't enough power.

So, with this new card, if you have a ~480w with a couple hard drives and a few fans, I would definately consider something over 500w, ESP. if you have socketA... an OCed barton is going to draw more power then an a64.

I don't know how much faster this card is than the 7800GS. I want to get a widescreen LCD and do not want to upgrade my entire system to be able to run a game at the native resolution.

Tzzird said:
can't let this thread die...

anything new?

That's what I'm wondering...I would like to get one of the AGP X1950 Pro's for my 6 year old son...he's struggling with Oblivion and Call of Duty 2 on his old 6800GT...

thespymaster said:
That's what I'm wondering...I would like to get one of the AGP X1950 Pro's for my 6 year old son...he's struggling with Oblivion and Call of Duty 2 on his old 6800GT...

thats what I am using and really cant justify a whole system upgrade at the moment but would like a new vid card.

lol i've checked newegg everyday just to see if the x1950pro is available. Like 2 days ago, Newegg started selling the Powercolor x1950pro but in PCIe... but maybe that means the AGP will be soon.

I think I've already decided I will get it as soon as it becomes available. I've got a little money to burn and my 6800GS is falling behind. I'm glad to see there are others in my position :)

Geo Fry said:
lol i've checked newegg everyday just to see if the x1950pro is available. Like 2 days ago, Newegg started selling the Powercolor x1950pro but in PCIe... but maybe that means the AGP will be soon.

I think I've already decided I will get it as soon as it becomes available. I've got a little money to burn and my 6800GS is falling behind. I'm glad to see there are others in my position :)

Yeah I've been checking the following

clubit
mwave
newegg
zipzoomfly

but no luck yet

Back