Wrap party for Apollo?

may i be worthy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2010
Apollo is about 4 days away from the big 100 million and last I saw, retiring the farm.

He will be only the 5th [H] forum member to ever achieve that feat, and lets remember that the bulk of those points were acheived in the days when 100,000ppd was a fantasy. He is currently ranked 52 in the world for all-time points, and might crack top 50.

I could only export data from as far back as 2007, (his first record is 03.17.04) but his look at this smooth points curve over the years:
large.jpg

Take it from someone who has only been able to sustain a few months of folding, this is pretty amazing.

And even better, he is a thoughtful and helpful contributor to our forum, something we hope will continue regardless.

So what are we planning to do for a "wrap" party?

Do we fold some units in his name?
Do we get Kendrak to make a special Hat?
Or just salute a contributor that has done a great deal for the project and for [H]?:cool:

some one needs to bitch slap him and put some sense in his noggin.

i wont accept his resignation and neither should anyone else.

he needs to keep folding. /end peptalk

I was pushing him in that direction I while ago, but I decided that it would be best to respect his reasons. Of course we would all wish him to carry on, but the man has 100 million points, he has given more than I have over a very long time, who am I to say what is enough?

I hope this will be a "celebrate the achievement" thread.

It seems Apollo has been a fixture in the top 20 on this team forever. One of the "old oaks" of the team. Thanks for everything you have done and do for the team Apollo. p.s. you'll probably crap yourself when you get your first post folding electric bill. :)

Congrats Apollo, but it will also be a sad day for the team.

Any chance we'll be able to talk you out of retirement? :)

Apollo was one of many very helpful people when I first started folding about a year ago. I first started folding on my laptop doing uniprocessor work units.

/salute Apollo - one hell of an effort.

I obviously missed the post announcing your retirement - may I ask why you're retiring ?

H.

Thanks for all the science!

Casting my vote for a special hat, if we're doing something.

derp, I am an idiot. These are not the droids you seek.

Last edited:
He can go about his business.
You can go about your business.
Move along.
Move along... move along.

Last edited:
Congratulations APOLLO, you've always been one of my favorite teammates ;)
(if anyone's keeping track :D)

I applaud the upcoming milestone and hope that you will continue to fold for a long time!

Wow, this is surprising! I truly appreciate the sentiment MIBW, and it was very unexpected to see this thread. Well, I won't be leaving right away because it's still a bit cold here especially at nights (below freezing) and will probably continue folding for a little while longer, at least to the point when it becomes sufficiently warm not to require any heating. That usually comes around mid-spring in these parts, some years earlier or later depending on the weather...

some one needs to bitch slap him and put some sense in his noggin. i wont accept his resignation and neither should anyone else. he needs to keep folding. /end peptalk
Never say never is one of my personal mottoes. There's always a possibility that I might fold again. Heck, I did it twice before, this being my third and longest time folding, so who knows, eh?

Congrats Apollo, but it will also be a sad day for the team.
Thanks. :)

Any chance we'll be able to talk you out of retirement? :)
If this team can show me it is capable of matching and exceeding 'default' for a sustained period, I will rethink my decision. If EVGA can do it, [H] can do it as well and we're very close to that objective unlike retaking #1.

/salute Apollo - one hell of an effort.

I obviously missed the post announcing your retirement - may I ask why you're retiring ?
Ongoing differences of opinion with Stanford.

Get the man a beer and a lap dance!
Yes, I can sure use that!

Congratulations APOLLO, you've always been one of my favorite teammates ;)
Thanks, I appreciate the thought. :)

I applaud the upcoming milestone and hope that you will continue to fold for a long time!
Thank you, we'll see how things turn out later in the season. :)

You were one of the main factors in my switching teams to this one. I saw the posts about you stopping, and didn't know what to think. The fact that you consider continuing is more than anyone cans ask, and gives us hope that you will change your mind. The effort you've shown is beyond what anyone can expect. Salute!

Wow, this is surprising! I truly appreciate the sentiment MIBW, and it was very unexpected to see this thread. Well, I won't be leaving right away because it's still a bit cold here especially at nights (below freezing) and will probably continue folding for a little while longer, at least to the point when it becomes sufficiently warm not to require any heating. That usually comes around mid-spring in these parts, some years earlier or later depending on the weather...

Never say never is one of my personal mottoes. There's always a possibility that I might fold again. Heck, I did it twice before, this being my third and longest time folding, so who knows, eh?

Thanks. :)

If this team can show me it is capable of matching and exceeding 'default' for a sustained period, I will rethink my decision. If EVGA can do it, [H] can do it as well and we're very close to that objective unlike retaking #1.

Yes, I can sure use that!

Thanks, I appreciate the thought. :)

Thank you, we'll see how things turn out later in the season. :)

Either way, don't become a stranger as I hope you will hang around with us. Maybe you'll even want to come out of retirement sooner than you thought. :D

As others have said; congrats, respect your decision, and hope you stick around.

I would hate to see the farm sale thread.... "GPU's, Very High Mileage!":p

An alternative would be to retire through attrition, simply don't replace hardware as it fails. Some of your cards must be pushing records for number WU's from a single piece of silicon.

Anyway you choose, you have been a great contribution to the team in both points and advice and I you stop by the forums from time to time!

I hope that can be resolved and you continue folding, but if not, I understand. I moved my folding efforts here after an overload of frustration with another site.

H.

As others have said; congrats, respect your decision, and hope you stick around.

I would hate to see the farm sale thread.... "GPU's, Very High Mileage!":p

I can't really add anything to congrats and all but as far as the ad is concerned maybe it might even say " only baked once." :)

Apollo, I would like to say that you are one of the reasons that I started folding here, your sane and rational responses to something years ago made me stop folding teamless and join the [H]orde. Than you, and know you have a friend in San Diego, even if I'm broke and car-less... :)

Apollo congrats on busting 100 million points and over 112k WU's. Its an epic achievement and shows true dedication to the cause. I hope that you will reconsider your decision to retire but respect your decision as i know you have big differences with stanford over some issues. Eitehr way i hope you stick around on here as your advice is always friendly and informative:cool::)

Apollo,

Firstly, congrats on 100 Million points! Whatever decision you make concerning your participation in this project, I salute your unwavering dedication, integrity and strength of character

The 100 million coming from you is probably more special than most because you didn't spend a lot of time manipulating your farm to take the biggest advantage of new bonus points system like many others did.

;)

Once again thanks for the [H]ard output for team 33 Apollo and all your efforts here.
clap.gif

I've been having issues with the way this project has been going and how it's being handled, and without the right motivation I can't keep throwing cash into hardware and electric bills, it can be better spent elsewhere. I've already scaled back as we've been warming up and hit 90 degrees here yesterday. Will also see how things go and adjust accordingly.

100 mil points and 112k+ WU's, thats some serious folding

/salute sir

Back