wow the 360 controller eats batteries

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
I bought my 360 new around Xmas last year and maybe have used it about 10-12 hours and the batteries are already dead. in fact they died a month ago and I had forgot about until I decided to fire up a game today. its hard to believe that rumors say the new xbox will stick to the same stupid setup for controllers. the ps3 seup is much nicer with no batteries to worry about. and yes I realize this has been discussed before but I am late to the console party.

I bought my 360 new around Xmas last year and maybe have used it about 10-12 hours and the batteries are already dead. in fact they died a month ago and I had forgot about until I decided to fire up a game today. its hard to believe that rumors say the new xbox will stick to the same stupid setup for controllers. the ps3 seup is much nicer with no batteries to worry about. and yes I realize this has been discussed before but I am late to the console party.

Get a AA rechargeable battery set from Energizer or another brand. That is the best option IMO. The 360 battery clips don't last as long and wear out faster, and non-rechargeable AAs will end up costing you a lot of money and you'll always be out of them when you need them.

yeah I went ahead ordered an Energizer batteries and charger kit for 16 bucks. still silly that they dont have a controller like the PS3 that does not need batteries.

I got a Nyko play and charge kit when I got my 360. Hopefully Microsoft has made the next Xbox's controllers rechargeable by default.

I have a PS3 and a 360. I much prefer the method of the 360 where I can change the batteries.

Out of the box, the PS3 will only charge the controller when it's on. This means that if I want to charge, I have to not be using it, but let my PS3 run. I'm not sure how everyone else uses theirs, but if my PS3 is on, I'm using it! If I'm not using it, it's off.

If I forget to charge the controller, you're just done. There is nothing you can do without buying third party accessories.

With the 360, I can swap batteries with something else until they charge. I've replaced everything battery operated in my house with enloop batteries and they work very well. If the controller dies, I just pop in some new ones and I'm good to go. No waiting.

If you want a solution like the PS3, then you can use the Play and Charge kit. I had one, and I ended up going back to batteries because it's just easier.

Quoting myself from the PS4 thread, as I'm really surprised that so many people don't realize that the PS3 controller can be charged by pretty much ANY USB-capable device...

The PS3 controller is not limited to charging by way of the PS3 console - it could be charged from any USB device. PC, laptop, phone charger, etc. Sony also released a very decent first-party stand-alone charging station.

For XBOX360, you really have only 3 options if you don't want to burn through normal AA batteries:
  1. Rechargeable batteries, as mentioned
  2. Play and charge kit
  3. External charger
I myself have opted for the external charger, and have been using this one from Nyko for the last few years with absolutely zero issues, and would highly recommend it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
PS3 will only charge the controller when it's on. This means that if I want to charge, I have to not be using it, but let my PS3 run. I'm not sure how everyone else uses theirs, but if my PS3 is on

Dont you have a cable box in your room with a USB port on the front just use that its what I did and still do for my 360 headset charging no need for my game system to be on and id rather have seperate batteries too.

We buy 30 packs of batteries for my boy...its ridiculous. He's a typical teenager so actually remembering to put them on a recharger is not something he would care enough to remember.

Dont you have a cable box in your room with a USB port on the front just use that its what I did and still do for my 360 headset charging no need for my game system to be on and id rather have seperate batteries too.

No.

The only thing in my room is my TV. It's just a TV hanging on the wall.

Everything else is hidden away in a closet in another room. I'd need like a 30 foot USB cable to be able to play and charge. I know that I am the exception though.

I bought a play-and-charge kit for my 360 controller that I use with my PC. It works well and lasts a decently long time.

For my PS3, I have two controllers. When one dies I go over to the playstation and swap it. I agree it's stupid that it doesn't charge them while "off".

yeah I went ahead ordered an Energizer batteries and charger kit for 16 bucks. still silly that they dont have a controller like the PS3 that does not need batteries.

Having the option to replace batteries will forever always be better than internal ones. You will never have an issue if your get some ENLOOP NiMH re-chargeables. I get about 2-4 months worth of play out of each charge.. which is insane.

Cost me like $15 on Amazon with a charger.

Quoting myself from the PS4 thread, as I'm really surprised that so many people don't realize that the PS3 controller can be charged by pretty much ANY USB-capable device...

For XBOX360, you really have only 3 options if you don't want to burn through normal AA batteries:
  1. Rechargeable batteries, as mentioned
  2. Play and charge kit
  3. External charger
I myself have opted for the external charger, and have been using this one from Nyko for the last few years with absolutely zero issues, and would highly recommend it.

Not only that, you can use them while they are charging as long as they are not completely dead.

We buy 30 packs of batteries for my boy...its ridiculous. He's a typical teenager so actually remembering to put them on a recharger is not something he would care enough to remember.

Why not teach him a lesson in responsibility and get him a recharging setup?

I have a PS3 and a 360. I much prefer the method of the 360 where I can change the batteries.

Out of the box, the PS3 will only charge the controller when it's on. This means that if I want to charge, I have to not be using it, but let my PS3 run. I'm not sure how everyone else uses theirs, but if my PS3 is on, I'm using it! If I'm not using it, it's off.

If I forget to charge the controller, you're just done. There is nothing you can do without buying third party accessories.

With the 360, I can swap batteries with something else until they charge. I've replaced everything battery operated in my house with enloop batteries and they work very well. If the controller dies, I just pop in some new ones and I'm good to go. No waiting.

If you want a solution like the PS3, then you can use the Play and Charge kit. I had one, and I ended up going back to batteries because it's just easier.
I have used my PS3 probably 10x as much as the 360 and only had to charge the controller twice so far.

exactly.. if he dont remember to charge his batteries, then he wont be able to play. Betcha he will start remembering.

Play and charge kit is worth every dollar. But I can see it being a hassle if you sit pretty far away from the 360 console and the cord cannot reach.

here are the 4 best options for managing PS3 controllers (in no particular order):

buy a usb port that plugs into a wall outlet for like $5

plug into the USB port of any device that is on, when your PS3 isn't. (TV, cable box, router, computer, etc)

buy a long USB cable to use a controller after it dies

buy a second controller and rotate them as they die

What sucks just as bad is that the rechargeable Microsoft batteries seem to have a timer device (IIRC) which makes them not work after X-time. There's a paperclip trick to reset them, but they do die after about a year. And they cost a fortune to replace (branded ones).

I'd hope they switch to a better battery technology for the next console. A cheap lithium cell should be able to power the controller for quite a while.

I'd hope they switch to a better battery technology for the next console. A cheap lithium cell should be able to power the controller for quite a while.

The best technology for this is already here and simple. A few spare pairs of Eneloop rechargeables. I hope they don't go to a plug-in-to-charge type setup - I'm very fond of the Xbox's flexibility for this. It's much easier to swap some batteries than plug in to charge like the PS3 controller.

Just get a play and charge kit.

I bought that shortly after the 360 launch, but after a couple years the packs wear out and don't hold charges. Rechargeable AAs have the same problem but they are a lot cheaper.

I bought that shortly after the 360 launch, but after a couple years the packs wear out and don't hold charges. Rechargeable AAs have the same problem but they are a lot cheaper.

thats why i will never buy another play and charge kit. its stupid. Sadly i threw one of them away before i learned about the paper clip trick. Ironically i still havent done it to the other one. I now use duracell rechargeables. i found 2650 ma AA four pack for less then 10 bucks. all i should do is pick up a couple AA clips and and just pop them in and out.

also, to those that use the long usb cord. I had one of those for my cell phone, motorola android (original) and i guess the weight of the cord ended up tearing up my usb port on my phone. personally i would be a little skittish/careful using a long cord, and moving the controller around.

I have like, 60+ hours of gaming on my 360 controller using normal AA batteries and and it's >75% charge.... :confused:

this. probably all you'll ever need. i use them for xbox controllers and my camera gear. they still hold plenty charge even months after not being used. highly recommend these batteries.
Indeed. The play and charge kit is not as efficient as purchasing SANYO Eneloops - these are the best rechargeable solution you can find for this kind of application. They will keep going for are long time, they are the best at retaining charge and have a long lifetime. Period.

PS3 controller is one of the more stupid setups for charging I've seen. 360 controller is way better. Can't tell you how many times I've turned the PS3 on and the battery was dead and I had to wait till I could play or plug the controller in so I could watch movies and had to keep getting up and sit in front of my tv as I scrolled through options.

well unless I misunderstood you, you just said that you have 60 hours with over 75% battery still left.
Oh, derp. Well the battery icon in Windows when I activate my controller says 3/4 bar, medium charge, and I have probably 60 hours on the current set of batteries. Not sure what to tell you. But they don't seem to drain that fast.

Plug it in when you are low on juice. It doesn't have to be connected to the 360, just any USB port.
what? maybe you are confused because i ordered this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SP4QAE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Get a AA rechargeable battery set from Energizer or another brand. That is the best option IMO. The 360 battery clips don't last as long and wear out faster, and non-rechargeable AAs will end up costing you a lot of money and you'll always be out of them when you need them.

Just get a play and charge kit.

I already ordered that battery charger kit so why would I need that?

Play and charge kit isn't bad even if you use regular AA's. It will still power the controller in case you forget to charge your AA or can't find them.

PS3 controller is one of the more stupid setups for charging I've seen. 360 controller is way better. Can't tell you how many times I've turned the PS3 on and the battery was dead and I had to wait till I could play or plug the controller in so I could watch movies and had to keep getting up and sit in front of my tv as I scrolled through options.

Do you eat paint chips for breakfast?

Sometimes, still doesn't change the fact that the ps3 charging system sucks.

So the 360 controller that isn't rechargeable has a better charging system than the PS3 controller??? You can use the PS3 controller while it's charging and once charged it lasts a long time. What more could you want???

Back