WoW; 5th expansion Warlords of Draenor

I'm basically going to play most of the day tomorrow (have it off), then most of Saturday.

From 85 - 90 takes about an hour per level and you can stay in lower level zones and make the same XP as if you were in level appropriate zones - in Pandaria at least.

From 85 - 90 takes about an hour per level and you can stay in lower level zones and make the same XP as if you were in level appropriate zones - in Pandaria at least.

I hope they lower how long it takes after the expansion drops...? Seems silly to stay in ONE of the several excellent zones, especially for people who have never leveled anything before, and are new to the game.

I hope they lower how long it takes after the expansion drops...? Seems silly to stay in ONE of the several excellent zones, especially for people who have never leveled anything before, and are new to the game.

Up to 85, you level so quickly you barely get out of the first quest hub before you level enough to move to the next zone. I just hit level 85 last night, so I will see if this holds through to 90.

As with most expansions, the new areas will like be tuned so that you can finish most of the zone before gaining a level and moving to the next zone. But a bunch of people will just rush to 100 anyway :)

Are the new character models in the pre patch 6.0.2 now ?

if so how do they look ? A noticeable upgrade, or not much ?

I am curious when the Blood Elf (and Draenai? Or did they get them in already) models will be added in. I think they've done a good job updating so many of the original race models and of course I'd like to see more facial appearances, hair styles and other updates to come in the future. However, as a player with several Blood Elves, they are really quite overdue for an upgrade and its too bad they were not ready by Patch 6.0.x.

I am curious when the Blood Elf (and Draenai? Or did they get them in already) models will be added in. I think they've done a good job updating so many of the original race models and of course I'd like to see more facial appearances, hair styles and other updates to come in the future. However, as a player with several Blood Elves, they are really quite overdue for an upgrade and its too bad they were not ready by Patch 6.0.x.

If I remember right they are going to be done sometime during the expansion. But not right this minute.

Models do look good but they have always been a pretty minor deal for me. I don't spend much of my time zoomed in looking at my guy and even less looking at other peoples faces. Armor models are way more important in my opinion.

I agree with Seelenlos on the armor models, I play this game like a 4 year old girl, I only care about playing dress up collecting armor sets and weapons. I really like my current balance Druid project, my armor fits the balance theme perfectly.

If I remember right they are going to be done sometime during the expansion. But not right this minute.

Models do look good but they have always been a pretty minor deal for me. I don't spend much of my time zoomed in looking at my guy and even less looking at other peoples faces. Armor models are way more important in my opinion.

I agree.. one of the big problems for me was always the legs and chest armors were painted on and werent really worn like armor. Did they change this?

Okay so I just completed all (I think) quests in Hyjal (defeated Ragnaros) and I went from 80 to 84. Each mob took on average 10 seconds to down. Didn't keep track of how long I played but it was very little actual play time.

Is it just me or is it now seriosly ezmode to get to 90?? Some tweak Blizz did to get as many people as possible ready for the new expansion?

when panda came out they nerfed the required xp for 80 to 85. i think it was 30%, maybe more like 15%.. but whatever it was, it shorted the leveling time for those levels significantly. Plus you can get heirlooms that go to 85. i imagine the patter should follow with mists of panda content when warlords lands.

Lol.. and ironically the entire game wont be too much bigger then the 20gb day one patch for halo master chief.

From someone who played through to the TBC and totally lost interest due to game changes. Is it worth coming back and checking out? Sounds like it's 100% geared toward casuals now.

From someone who played through to the TBC and totally lost interest due to game changes. Is it worth coming back and checking out? Sounds like it's 100% geared toward casuals now.

It is more geared toward casual play now than it was in TBC and vanilla. Whenever I try coming back - you get free trial time every few months - I can't play any of my orginal characters I played up through TBC because the mechanics/abilities/talents make it feel alien.

It is more geared toward casual play now than it was in TBC and vanilla. Whenever I try coming back - you get free trial time every few months - I can't play any of my orginal characters I played up through TBC because the mechanics/abilities/talents make it feel alien.

They recently released some new videos on effective rotations (DPS wise), made for those new to the game or perhaps those who newly raised a character to 90 that they didn't play "all the way up". WoD (and the pre-WoD patch 6.0 which is where we are now) is simplifying and making many classes more effective in play, so if you want to give it another try I'd take a look at the videos and then give WoW a try again. Its probably much less complex and easier to learn than ever before. There have been some HUGE changes in dynamics since the days of Classic and TBC, many are far better so I think all characters will feel "alien" to start compared to back then, but it should be less tedious than ever now to get comfortable with the new paradigms of each class.

Its important to note, at least for someone like myself who played since WoW Classic (and played previous titles like the original EverQuest etc), WoW isn't so much "easier" or "casual" in my opinion, as it is "less tedious". Raid encounters have actually become a lot more varied and interesting with more complicated/difficult mechanics, compared to the old days when it was mostly "tank and spank, with one or two big things to watch out for" and the difficulty was getting 40 people to do their (simpler) job etc. There's a lot of new, interesting things to do and much of the tedium has been toned down, which I consider a benefit. There's still plenty of difficulty left in the game - if you want to run the Gold Medal heroic dungeons/timed, take on Mythic difficulty Raids, get to the top of the Brawler's Guild and all the new stuff added as part of the expansion etc.. that's all there.

Last edited:
So I had yesterday off, and playing off-on for 1.5 hours or so at a time, I was able to go from 85-88 incredibly fast. Granted, I had rested XP, but it seemed very fast regardless.

I'm pretty excited for Garisons and doing all the other little things like Farming that I missed. Of course, also looking forward to some raiding (Mythic specifically).

clicking buttons used to be so much more hardcore.

If that wasn't the cry of first gen WoW player than I don't know what is. I fully agree though.

Its weird playing in this fashion. Lots of my WoW time went into finding the best builds or creating them. Things are better in that respect but also the harder aspects of talent builds actually added a lot I personally think to the "end game" and retention in my case.

Still if they manage this expansion like last then I'll come on board.

If that wasn't the cry of first gen WoW player than I don't know what is. I fully agree though.

Its weird playing in this fashion. Lots of my WoW time went into finding the best builds or creating them. Things are better in that respect but also the harder aspects of talent builds actually added a lot I personally think to the "end game" and retention in my case.

Still if they manage this expansion like last then I'll come on board.

I was actually being semi-sarcastic haha. I started playing in TBC, and I really do appreciate the depth that the game had in regards to things like talent trees, and unique class skills and roles. IMO things are always more fun when they aren't so cookie-cutter, even if they aren't always the most optimal all the time it's fun trying to push for optimization on your own.

I guess the current state of class design was inevitable, but it isn't that bad. I was semi-sarcastic because despite characters now being much simpler, the gameplay isn't really that different than before. There are still boss battles with interesting mechanics and difficulty exists for those who want it. I guess the absolute highest tier of difficulty may not be as high as it was back then, but that's just an unfortunate byproduct of making the game more accessible to more players rather than just for the guys who have the most time to spend playing. I think Blizz has done a good job of making the game play largely the same while feeling much less tedious in general. But that's me.

I stopped playing WoW last winter, and just last week got the free 7 day trial again from Blizzard. So I was bored and went with the free week play time.

So this is funny, I update the game, and the first thing I think to myself, oh yeah new character models are supposed to be in this patch, cool. So I log on, play around for a few minutes in Stormwind, and then I ask my Guild, hey how do I select the new updated character model ? They all said what ? You automatically had your new model as soon as you logged on. I said no way, it doesn't look any different to me, and then I walk all over Stormwind looking at every character, and I swear I can barely notice any difference :rolleyes: And this took Blizzard like two expansions to finally do just this :eek:

The Human males still have that lame Popeye shape, with huge forearms, and fat legs. Night Elfs males still look freakishly long, and wafer thin waists with huge shoulders. I mean they all look almost exactly the same as before when you are wearing armor. I guess running around naked they do look better, but all of my characters are decked out in full gear, so I can't even see any difference.

I stopped playing WoW last winter, and just last week got the free 7 day trial again from Blizzard. So I was bored and went with the free week play time.

So this is funny, I update the game, and the first thing I think to myself, oh yeah new character models are supposed to be in this patch, cool. So I log on, play around for a few minutes in Stormwind, and then I ask my Guild, hey how do I select the new updated character model ? They all said what ? You automatically had your new model as soon as you logged on. I said no way, it doesn't look any different to me, and then I walk all over Stormwind looking at every character, and I swear I can barely notice any difference :rolleyes: And this took Blizzard like two expansions to finally do just this :eek:

The Human males still have that lame Popeye shape, with huge forearms, and fat legs. Night Elfs males still look freakishly long, and wafer thin waists with huge shoulders. I mean they all look almost exactly the same as before when you are wearing armor. I guess running around naked they do look better, but all of my characters are decked out in full gear, so I can't even see any difference.

agreed I havnt noticed them at all

agreed I havnt noticed them at all

I know right. I am not trying to be a dick, but are the new character models really in patch 6.0.2 ? Or maybe they not active until the expansion comes out ? I seriously can not see the difference.

They are active now, if you see the old ones side by side its a dramatic difference

They are active now, if you see the old ones side by side its a dramatic difference

This, pretty much. The faces especially are enhanced significantly in detail. Body shapes,detail, textures etc.. hair style etc... are improved as well. It really helps to look at the old comparisons (on the WoD page and say, WoWHead or whatnot from way back when previewing the new WoD models etc.) and see that theere are significant improvements.

What there is NOT however, is a major style change overall. "Popeye Arms" and whatnot have been tweaked a bit, but Blizz was between a rock and a hard place if they totally revamped the models to look completely different - people have spent years getting attached to these style and if they revamped them completely half the population would have a shitfit. I was there in EverQuest when Luclin expansion came out and you could opt to have both model types in; it was controversial because the new ones changed the style very much (more for some races than othres) and were hugely improved in polygons etc.. to the point that required a beefier PC to run them etc. I hear Blizz didn't want this either - where certain players would see "2004" and others would see "Cry Engine" to so speak. Thus, they made some pretty dramatic improvements, yet kept many of the same stylistic decisions and only required a relatively minor upgrade in graphical power in order to handle it all.

Note, that not ALL races have been updated and/or updated yet. The "classic" races, Orcs, Tauren, Undead/Forsaken, Trolls and Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Night Elves have been updated in 6.0.2 if I am correct. New skeletons, models, faces etc. Pandarians already have similar polygon counts to the "new" models so they won't be updated... I think. Also, Draenai have been updated in 6.0.2 as well. However, there are 3 races that have NOT yet be updated.

Blood Elves, Worgen, and Goblin have NOT yet been updated but are planned to be. Blood Elves are first, as they are certainly in the most need! They were planned for Warlords launch, but it didn't make it. Worgen (wolf form) and Goblin will be coming at a later date, though I think the Worgen (human forms) now take on the new Human forms. Look forward to these updates soon.

All updated races have new hair, face etc.. "barber shop, customization" options as well, and more are planned in the future for all races.

So yeah, the new models are in for some races. They're not hugely different in style, but they are definitely improved and comparing them to the old ones side by side will showcase the additional detail significantly..

There are also some great subtle changes, like facial expressions. Take a look at the human for instance, and do quick left/right turns while holding left-click down, you can really see the eyebrows and cheeks move, along with the eyes. Emoting shows off the little changes like that too.

The emotes are good, and just movement animations seem better in general, so that's good. Most improved IMO are definitely orcs and humans, or at least they seem like they're the most noticeable.

The emotes are good, and just movement animations seem better in general, so that's good. Most improved IMO are definitely orcs and humans, or at least they seem like they're the most noticeable.

I got that impression as well. Also dwarves, I think they look significantly better, and have a nice spring in their step.

So I had yesterday off, and playing off-on for 1.5 hours or so at a time, I was able to go from 85-88 incredibly fast. Granted, I had rested XP, but it seemed very fast regardless.

I think patch 6.0 reduced the XP needed to get from 85 to 90. That with the rested is probably what you experienced.

I think patch 6.0 reduced the XP needed to get from 85 to 90. That with the rested is probably what you experienced.

Yep, they definitely nerfed the XP quite a bit, but can't argue that the rested really set it over the edge in terms of time required to level.

You guys should convert to Rift and save the Sub cost and play at leisure the new content in Rift is pretty dope.

You guys should convert to Rift and save the Sub cost and play at leisure the new content in Rift is pretty dope.

Tried it. Meh. I always come back to WoW no matter what MMO I try, it just does everything right for me. Plus, the subscription cost is a drop in the hat.

You can't see the difference in the new models due to all the blinged out gear people are wearing. Sometimes I have to hide my helm to remember what my toon looks like. The heroic Marauder gear has so many lights on it, it's like looking at a rave.

You can't see the difference in the new models due to all the blinged out gear people are wearing.

All my gnomes look fugly. Also the running animation is broken and uses pandaren style for all races. Had to switch everything to old character models.

Wife decided to start playing again so I also after a 2 year hiatus started to play around. Luckily for her we just built a new itx gaming box with a GTX760 for her to play.

Stopped playing this game early this year. But I'm actually installing it now to see what has changed after getting the offer to play for free for 7 days.

I hadn't played wow in 3+ years but decided to give it a shot. Bought warlords and created a level 90 rogue. When you do this they ease you into the class with some quests in the blasted lands. The quests slowly unlock skills and then talents to help you learn the class. Having quit as TBC was released the game still feels foreign to me but I am learning quick.

Okay so I just completed all (I think) quests in Hyjal (defeated Ragnaros) and I went from 80 to 84. Each mob took on average 10 seconds to down. Didn't keep track of how long I played but it was very little actual play time.

Is it just me or is it now seriosly ezmode to get to 90?? Some tweak Blizz did to get as many people as possible ready for the new expansion?

Played a little more and dinged 85, and the drop in XP was insane. From 900xp per mob to 30??? Or am I doing something wrong - still playing in Cata zones when I can go to Panda.

Played a little more and dinged 85, and the drop in XP was insane. From 900xp per mob to 30??? Or am I doing something wrong - still playing in Cata zones when I can go to Panda.

There's a HUGE penalty to XP once you hit 85 if you aren't in Pandaria. The quests themselves still give the same XP as before but actual mob xp gets severely reduced.

This is mainly due to the fact that a level 85/84 Pandaria mob on the world map has significantly more HP than a level 85 cata world mob.

Back