WoW; 4th expansion Mists of Pandaria

Looking back it was a giant pain in the ass but you got used to it over time and so did party members. Once you were able to charge in defensive stance and "heroic throw" and such a few expansions later did I realize how much better tanking is now.

I tanked, dps'd and healed every type of content in vanilla and BC. Tanking was not as easy as healing or dps, but it didn't require some sort of bionic playing skill. It did have the advantage of being constantly engaging and dynamic.

The changes they made to tanking in wotlk made tanking less fun (for me) but opened it up to more players. That's great for your average player because suddenly groups weren't waiting around as long for tanks, but I think it greatly diminished an important dynamic from the gameplay. That works both ways too, healing and dps are both less interesting now than they used to be when there was a real and constant danger of dying due to threat.

I tanked, dps'd and healed every type of content in vanilla and BC. Tanking was not as easy as healing or dps, but it didn't require some sort of bionic playing skill. It did have the advantage of being constantly engaging and dynamic.

The changes they made to tanking in wotlk made tanking less fun (for me) but opened it up to more players. That's great for your average player because suddenly groups weren't waiting around as long for tanks, but I think it greatly diminished an important dynamic from the gameplay. That works both ways too, healing and dps are both less interesting now than they used to be when there was a real and constant danger of dying due to threat.

People are still waiting around for tanks now just like before. Your assessment is spot on. It is harder to tank than it is to heal. Especially with healbot it is easy to 5 man heal. Not so much with tanking.

Did you stack 5 Sunder Armors on this post? That is sure to hold everyone's attention.

Gold!

:)

I used to do most of the pulling with rank 1 arcane shot.
Threat is such a joke now, 99% of the people don't even wait for the tank to get 1 hit on the boss before attacking.

Its obvious my Vanilla WoW experience was somewhat different than yours and likely better based on your impressions of it. I enjoyed the challenges and the early growing pains of WoW. But is it really a better game now? Well fare epics , achievements that truly don't mean shit and people just buy whatever they can't seem to get through services of better players/guilds. Vanilla WoW was and will remain the best time for WoW , it was complicated and lacked balanced and it sure had its problems but some of the fondest memories were during those early years before TBC.

I think I've stated my position enough and I'm not going to convince you of anything so I'll just get back to discussing PoM from now on.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the challenges as well, but my favorite time in the game had to have been right when TBC was released. That 60-70 gap and everything they added until Black Temple was just oozing with epic gameplay. There wasn't a thing wrong with the game, and I tanked, healed, and DPS'ed my way through the game, just as I did in Vanilla. I do remember all the dick-heads coming out of the ground when Arena Seasons were announced...suddenly you were "shit" unless you had the Gladiator title. That was one big turning point I thought.

I miss the 30s-40s, for Vanilla leveling. It was just too damn good, and it took forever. Lot of people met that way. What I liked was that you stayed in a certain level range for a long time, therefore you could log in, hell, in a week, and people would still be in that range, so you had common stuff to talk about within the game. The way it is now, even if you're new, you can easily do 10 levels a day for gods sake, so that lasting impression just isn't there. One could argue that it's been replaced with more interesting (less stagnant) content at the lower levels. There will always be trade-offs, good or bad. I don't think the game is shit now at all, on the contrary, I think it's an excellent time to play with all the content there is. In fact, I'd encourage people that never tried it to give it a go. Hell, the main game + expansions (not counting Cataclysm) were like $20'ish bucks a few months back. That's a STEAL for that much shit to do.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the challenges as well, but my favorite time in the game had to have been right when TBC was released. That 60-70 gap and everything they added until Black Temple was just oozing with epic gameplay. There wasn't a thing wrong with the game, and I tanked, healed, and DPS'ed my way through the game, just as I did in Vanilla. I do remember all the dick-heads coming out of the ground when Arena Seasons were announced...suddenly you were "shit" unless you had the Gladiator title. That was one big turning point I thought.

I miss the 30s-40s, for Vanilla leveling. It was just too damn good, and it took forever. Lot of people met that way. What I liked was that you stayed in a certain level range for a long time, therefore you could log in, hell, in a week, and people would still be in that range, so you had common stuff to talk about within the game. The way it is now, even if you're new, you can easily do 10 levels a day for gods sake, so that lasting impression just isn't there. One could argue that it's been replaced with more interesting (less stagnant) content at the lower levels. There will always be trade-offs, good or bad. I don't think the game is shit now at all, on the contrary, I think it's an excellent time to play with all the content there is. In fact, I'd encourage people that never tried it to give it a go. Hell, the main game + expansions (not counting Cataclysm) were like $20'ish bucks a few months back. That's a STEAL for that much shit to do.

all of TBC in its entirety was amazing. including black temple and sunwell before and after they nerfed the attunements.

lady vasshj and kael thas were some of the most fun ive ever had gaming. kael thas especially took a large amount of skill from the group. and we had a phoenix drop once as well. black temple was a very fun instance as well with the exception of gorefiend... some people just couldnt handle the ghosts... that and archimonde fires... mother fuckers hahahaha.

anyways. after TBC everything just crashed and burned in my opinion. I played a little bit of wrath and we were some of the first people to do some of the events but eventually our guild died out and i realized i should focus more time on getting laid.

EDIT; I'd also like to add that leveling in wow is horrid and the least entertaining part of the game in my opinion. especially after seeing how much better newer games do it. the game is all about the end game. . i always hated the leveling part

I missed out on Vanilla. Mostly, anyway; I started playing a week before TBC was released. The beginning of the end of WoW for me was the introduction of the dungeon finder. And now we have a raid finder, rampant phasing, and cross realm zones. All these things have destroyed server communities.

I missed out on Vanilla. Mostly, anyway; I started playing a week before TBC was released. The beginning of the end of WoW for me was the introduction of the dungeon finder. And now we have a raid finder, rampant phasing, and cross realm zones. All these things have destroyed server communities.

vanilla was dope. I remember getting my tier 1 warlock shoulders... so awesome. took forever to get enough DKP to get anything. fucking 40 man raids :O

OP: WoW, Mists of Pandaria
Last 2 Pages: Vanilla WoW Circle Jerk/Discussion/Argument

Way to stay classy folks!

I haven't played MoP because I'm still expecting to let my account expire in the middle of this month. After playing on and off for several years I've decided MMO's are no longer in my future in favor of clearing out my Steam backlog. The new expansion does look interesting and I have a few cousins who insist I should log on "just a few times" to see what all the fuss is about, but I'm 99.9% sure I'm done with MMO's. Even if this expansion is a superior, fantastic expansion and breathes new life and content in to WoW I really want to start playing all these darn games I bought on Steam over the past 2 years! :)

The thing I found coolest in all the years of playing WoW is when AQ opened and the whole server had to pool together and contribute to opening the gates.

They need epic stuff like that sprinkled into the game.

all of TBC in its entirety was amazing. including black temple and sunwell before and after they nerfed the attunements.

lady vasshj and kael thas were some of the most fun ive ever had gaming. kael thas especially took a large amount of skill from the group. and we had a phoenix drop once as well. black temple was a very fun instance as well with the exception of gorefiend... some people just couldnt handle the ghosts... that and archimonde fires... mother fuckers hahahaha.

anyways. after TBC everything just crashed and burned in my opinion. I played a little bit of wrath and we were some of the first people to do some of the events but eventually our guild died out and i realized i should focus more time on getting laid.

EDIT; I'd also like to add that leveling in wow is horrid and the least entertaining part of the game in my opinion. especially after seeing how much better newer games do it. the game is all about the end game. . i always hated the leveling part

Lol c'mon, getting laid? What does that take, all day or something? :p

15 minutes max, then back to server firsts!

On the real though, those days are in the past for most of us, but there's still guilds out there that are running strong and serious about the game, good for them. Whatever makes people happy I suppose eh...

Couldn't disagree more lol (it's funny how differently the game treated different people)

STV was some of the best fun in the world, and it lasted awhile because leveling was so slow. Open world pvp is excellent fun, IMO... at least at 70 you still had some, at the farming spot for all those elementals. 80 though, it was pretty much gone.

2-manning BRD to get the Barman Shanker... epic fun.
I've 2-maned or solod a lot of stuff in BRD and the DM's. It's always a fun challenge to see how you can cop with things which should be too tough for you.

Resilience ruined PVP and required a new set of gear to be achieved. I figured you would , of all the people here , be bitching about how requiring different sets of gear and MORE FARMING (which you made the point to state that Vanilla WoW was a farm fest). Arena's are a mess and most of the competitive community around them have left because of PVP balancing issues and how Resilience has continually changed over time (patch 5.0 has again changed the nature of PVP stat requirements and the Monk class healer can pretty much dominate with any make up in Arena's during the beta). PVP has improved only in the form of BG's and rated BG's , otherwise Arena's and Resilience requirements and new gear sets have only made it more of a hassle to pvp.
/concur

Couldn't disagree more lol (it's funny how differently the game treated different people)

STV was some of the best fun in the world, and it lasted awhile because leveling was so slow. Open world pvp is excellent fun, IMO... at least at 70 you still had some, at the farming spot for all those elementals. 80 though, it was pretty much gone.

I've 2-maned or solod a lot of stuff in BRD and the DM's. It's always a fun challenge to see how you can cop with things which should be too tough for you.

/concur

i was a warlock in vanilla we couldnt kill anybody haha

how about ungoro crater ;( trex always hulk smashed me

Yea i never played a warlock, in all the time i've played WoW. ungoro was also cool for the world pvp, yes.

Another thing to note, is that if you're a hunter player and have only played hunter beyond 70, then you missed the real aimed shot... that one change alone made me abandon my hunter and never look back.

Yea i never played a warlock, in all the time i've played WoW. ungoro was also cool for the world pvp, yes.

Another thing to note, is that if you're a hunter player and have only played hunter beyond 70, then you missed the real aimed shot... that one change alone made me abandon my hunter and never look back.

Haha, I had a friend who was grinding High Warlord in Vanilla with a Hunter. I would always play on his account and own people with the old aimed shot and that BWL crossbow. Also, Bestial Wrath was pretty insane too, the pet would solo people.

I used to shadowmeld in front of booty bay and AS those foolish enough to come out, sucks they changed it so you unstealth as soon as it starts casting now :(

Warlocks with dual trinkets around the time that AQ opened were OP with their DOTs... Did you play then? Playing a rogue before Cloak of Shadows was a bitch.

Back on topic -- I cannot believe how abundant new crafting materials are. In past expansions, I've always sold stuff the first few months because there was too much gold waiting for me to hold on to it. But the amount I had to sell was a few stacks here or there.

I leveled my rogue (mining/skinning) first, expecting maybe to get enough ore to bring up my JCing or engineering or blacksmithing, and enough leather for part of leatherworking. Instead, just with the ores and leather from leveling, I brought up 1 JCer, 1 engi, 1 blacksmith to 580+ each, and another JCer to 560. I brought my LWer up to 580, and have 20+ stacks of leather in the bank. All of that, and I was still skipping nodes that required a dismount.

I got enough cloth on that toon to level my tailor up to imperial silk, and have enough cloth banked for 12-14 of those, plus 600 first aid on my rogue.

Cloth is selling for as low as 15g/stack on my server. Ore is still over 100g/stack for now, though I have no idea why. I like having abundant crafting mats, but this is in serious need of a nerf imo.

I used to shadowmeld in front of booty bay and AS those foolish enough to come out, sucks they changed it so you unstealth as soon as it starts casting now :(

Me and this hunter buddy of mine would take turns going fishing in Winterspring. One of us would just lay down in the middle of the road as bait for anyone coming along, the other shadowmelded just in aimed-shot range. Someone would always stop and check out the AFK hunter, when BOOM Aimed shot--lol

Ahhhh good times.

OP: WoW, Mists of Pandaria
Last 2 Pages: Vanilla WoW Circle Jerk/Discussion/Argument

Way to stay classy folks!

Seriously you are getting a watered down FRIENDLY version of what most people feel about old Vanilla WoW vs current WoW.

The civility here is beyond amazing if you take into account how uncivil many discussions about the two are on the official forums. Honestly go do a search there if you ever want a laugh , I do admit I have strong opinions on the topic but I'm a far cry from how lots of people feel else where.

Can my friends and I do vanilla raids when we hit 60? I've never done a raid before and was just curious if vanilla/bc/lotlk raids still existed?

Can my friends and I do vanilla raids when we hit 60? I've never done a raid before and was just curious if vanilla/bc/lotlk raids still existed?

They still exist. You can get to the Vanilla raids by traveling there, no issues. The only Vanilla raid that isn't there however, is the Naxxramas 40 man citadel. It used to be in Western Plaguelands, floating in the middle, but it's moved to a Wrath of the Lich King zone now. This happened right when the expansion hit. All the BC and Wrath raids are still there, as they always were.

the 20 man AQ isn't too crazy, although if youre only level 60 it will still be hard :)

AQ20 and 40 may still be an issue at level 60, but if you're all wearing BC level 58-60 greens, it could be made trivial. Let us know how it goes...should be interesting for people who haven't done it before. :)

I'd bring a good amount of people if doing it at 60...but that's just my outdatedness talking. Could be that it's a cakewalk for even a few 60's now. Anyone done it recently? I haven't set foot in there since level 70 in BC, and even then AQ40 kicked our asses at times.

I have never ran a raid in my life, so I have no clue how I would even get 20-40 people.

Haha. I'd read up on some of the fights online, and see what you'll be getting yourself into. AQ20, when it came out, was always more of an "intro" raid, to test your group in various ways. Granted, it wasn't exactly "easy" just because it was an intro raid, but I thought that was fun, that challenges existed. AQ40 was the big leagues though, and that place shit on guilds, especially the last few bosses. C'thun (last boss in AQ40), was possibly the coolest looking, and most epic fight ever. He'd whisper to individual characters throughout the raid, and it was creepy as hell. During the fight he'd whisper stuff to individual people as well, stuff like "Give up hope", and other depressing shit.

I bet you could find a few people in the 60's range in trade/general chat that'd be interested. May even find people that know how to do it, which would make it a more fun learning experience.

Haha. I'd read up on some of the fights online, and see what you'll be getting yourself into. AQ20, when it came out, was always more of an "intro" raid, to test your group in various ways. Granted, it wasn't exactly "easy" just because it was an intro raid, but I thought that was fun, that challenges existed. AQ40 was the big leagues though, and that place shit on guilds, especially the last few bosses. C'thun (last boss in AQ40), was possibly the coolest looking, and most epic fight ever. He'd whisper to individual characters throughout the raid, and it was creepy as hell. During the fight he'd whisper stuff to individual people as well, stuff like "Give up hope", and other depressing shit.

I bet you could find a few people in the 60's range in trade/general chat that'd be interested. May even find people that know how to do it, which would make it a more fun learning experience.

Cool, thanks for the tips man.

last question, do bosses scale 3 levels higher than the highest level character in a raid?

Cool, thanks for the tips man.

last question, do bosses scale 3 levels higher than the highest level character in a raid?

Generally, yes. For all intents and purposes, a skull in Vanilla generally meant level 63, for Hit Table purposes.

Those raids became easier with the new talents, but yes AQ40 did shit on raids. The issue is even with just doing a raid and taking the XP into account it probably is still OK exp since they boosted all the XP.

My friend is lvl 82 and did 1 to 82 on his monk in like 5 days.

Those raids became easier with the new talents, but yes AQ40 did shit on raids. The issue is even with just doing a raid and taking the XP into account it probably is still OK exp since they boosted all the XP.

My friend is lvl 82 and did 1 to 82 on his monk in like 5 days.

I got the triple XP thing and hit 50 in 2 days. Should be 60 hopefully by tonight.

Seriously you are getting a watered down FRIENDLY version of what most people feel about old Vanilla WoW vs current WoW.

The civility here is beyond amazing if you take into account how uncivil many discussions about the two are on the official forums. Honestly go do a search there if you ever want a laugh , I do admit I have strong opinions on the topic but I'm a far cry from how lots of people feel else where.

You really can't call anyone out in GW2 as they hand out bans like candy and you really never need to work together.

The community in WoW isn't the problem the problem is people just suck in general.

I cant think of one project in college that involved more than 3 people where I thought someone wasn't a fucking retard. The issue is you just don't say it their face.

Now on the internet different story. Assholes exist in every game and even more so since gaming has become more mainstream.

You really can't call anyone out in GW2 as they hand out bans like candy and you really never need to work together.

The community in WoW isn't the problem the problem is people just suck in general.

I cant think of one project in college that involved more than 3 people where I thought someone wasn't a fucking retard. The issue is you just don't say it their face.

Now on the internet different story. Assholes exist in every game and even more so since gaming has become more mainstream.

Gotta admit that assholes are all over, no matter what game. Also have to agree on the whole College thing as well (though slightly off-topic), we had several programming projects where out of 6 people, 2 were complete idiots, and one didn't want to be there. It applies to anything really.

the 20 man AQ isn't too crazy, although if youre only level 60 it will still be hard :)

They re-tuned that raid and I think it's now a 5 or 10 man.

Bosses do not "scale". Their hitpoints and damage output are always exactly the same. The weird part is that your chance to hit (and be hit) by an enemy is calculated based on the relative level between you - for that calculation bosses are always considered to be three levels higher than you.

A naked level 60 character and a naked level 90 character will have the same chance to hit a boss, even if they are in the raid together.

Its obvious my Vanilla WoW experience was somewhat different than yours and likely better based on your impressions of it. I enjoyed the challenges and the early growing pains of WoW. But is it really a better game now? Well fare epics , achievements that truly don't mean shit and people just buy whatever they can't seem to get through services of better players/guilds. Vanilla WoW was and will remain the best time for WoW , it was complicated and lacked balanced and it sure had its problems but some of the fondest memories were during those early years before TBC.

And its obvious you been drinking a little too much of that nostalgia koolaid. I'm not gonna bother discussing the other points. But do please educate me on how vanilla wow pvp rank 14 took skill.

Warlocks with dual trinkets around the time that AQ opened were OP with their DOTs... Did you play then? Playing a rogue before Cloak of Shadows was a bitch.

I used to kill everything, person, child, and animal on my Warlock in valilla WoW. The only guild I had problems with was Death and Taxes. I had a priest from that guild wand me to death with a Naxxaramas wand for the lulz. Excluding them 1 vs 1, 2 vs 1, and even 3 vs 1 sometimes I won.

Succubus with keybindings was nearly impossible to beat. Later on I migrated to destruction because they said it was impossible to do on the WoW forums and was just as OP as we had the "machine gun imp". My imp solo'd a druid in Arathi Basin one day. That was a week before we got nerfed into the ground for TBC...

Why would people tell you destro was bad for pvp, seduce nuke was hands down the most powerful lock pvp spec in vanilla, and was based heavily on destro. And we were borderline broken op when tbc hit, especially in the pre launch 2.0 days. Ah the days of queing up for a bg and hearthing to silithus to gank noobs from the archway, ret pallies were the best because you could get the guards to kill them because of reckoning.

Last edited:
Why would people tell you destro was bad for pvp, seduce nuke was hands down the most powerful lock pvp spec in vanilla, and was based heavily on destro. And we were borderline broken op when tbc hit, especially in the pre launch 2.0 days. Ah the days of queing up for a bg and hearthing to silithus to gank noobs from the archway, ret pallies were the best because you could get the guards to kill them because of reckoning.

There were quite a few combos back then for Warlocks and I probably played all of them. My personal favorite spec in destro to the +50% crit damage then the rest into demo, called it warlock tanking. Was fun to have a warrior run up to you and you kill him with searing pain + voidwalker (I had the trinket for a free voidwalker, the shield it had was epic).

Then you had your stun lock destro build, which was good and the succy came in handy for when the stun didn't proc or for soulfire cast time or your fear-affliction which was also fun and very basic.

Tons of useful builds, the only thing I feared back then was a pre-nerfed WF shaman.

Back