Would you like to see cartridges make a comeback?

Would you like to see cartridges make a comeback?

• Total voters

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Would you like to see it? I know we have some die-hard cartridge fans.

I really wouldn't mind it. DVDs just scratch so easily. Though with digital distribution becoming so commonplace, I wonder whether that isn't the future. How many people still buy PC games for example in stores instead of on Steam or similar services?

Where's the "I dont care either way" option? :p

Bottom line is no. Because they would cost way too much with the sizes of the games we have today.

I think we are approaching the last removable media. The Broadband isn't quite there yet and internet companies have 100 years of telco thinking they need to shed... But I think we are close to ditching removable media. Probably not the next generation, but the one after that.

I don't want cartridges back.

Bottom line is no. Because they would cost way too much with the sizes of the games we have today.

I think that has always been the issue, they were just more reliable at the time.

As much as I am for nostalgia, I can't imagine clogging my closet with 20 massive cartridge games anymore. I have enough trouble storing my 8-tracks!

Ha, no. Why? Blow on your dvds if you're feeling nostalgic, lol :)

And digital wins it anyways.

Carts were fun, but there's really no reason for them these days. We don't need the onboard saves, etc.

No way. I'm all for SD cards taking over, though. Sure, they might be small, but they're pretty hard to destroy... much harder than a DVD anyways.

For...what? Handheld or home systems?

I would also agree with Simonizor. DD + flash memory for storage all the way.

I think we are approaching the last removable media. The Broadband isn't quite there yet and internet companies have 100 years of telco thinking they need to shed... But I think we are close to ditching removable media. Probably not the next generation, but the one after that.

I don't want cartridges back.

I think that has always been the issue, they were just more reliable at the time.

I just have horrid memories of buying games like Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES for $120+ on release day. Canadian mind you.

How about no media at all? everything done over the network!

The only problem with that is that games are getting larger and ISP caps are getting lower (unless you fork out more for a higher cap).

Streaming is great until your ISP says, "Sorry, you've done too much this month gotta cut ya off".

Maybe not in a year or two, but I see per/byte billing coming for all ISP's, and then streaming will lose it's current allure. It's gonna happen though.

For me? I'd love carts back. Much more satisfying hearing the "chunk" of shoving a cartridge into a slot than slipping a DVD into the tray. ;)

It's weird how many of you guys are complaining about how much much expensive carts are to make. Are guys publishers now? Who cares what they cost to make? Price would still be based on demand. Sheesh OP why don't you change the title "Would you like carts back as long as everything else stayed the same?"

seriously like a bunch of bitchie little girls

Picture-16.png

No. The future is downloadable games.

Not until the broadband network gets updated, worldwide. With some games pushing 25gb now, and in the future probably more, and some areas where high speed internet still hasn't materialized, this might be problematic. For devices like handhelds where the games are usually less than a gb and usually around 500-700mb, however, thats probably fine. Then again the PSPgo didn't really work, though thats not really a fair example.

Non PC devices will also need much much bigger HDDs first. With the lanuch persions of the PS3 with full games being around 8-10gb you'd have at most 8-10 games on the console. Get a new one and youd have to delete and then re download 10gb. Buy a few games in a month, or need to redownload your library and AT&T etc. are going to be coming for you. You have to also remember that most peoples internet speeds are pretty crappy, and they aren't going to want to wait more time than it takes to go to the store and pick up a disk. Often for less than what the downloadable version costs.

It's weird how many of you guys are complaining about how much much expensive carts are to make. Are guys publishers now? Who cares what they cost to make? Price would still be based on demand. Sheesh OP why don't you change the title "Would you like carts back as long as everything else stayed the same?"

seriously like a bunch of bitchie little girls

http://whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Picture-16.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

We care because more costly media = higher purchase price.

We care because more costly media = higher purchase price.

^This. Anyone who thinks the publishers wouldn't tack on the increased costs of using cartridges to their already outrageous prices is living in a dream world. As for downloading being the future - not with the present speeds and throttling tricks most ISPs have.

I really wouldn't mind it. DVDs just scratch so easily. Though with digital distribution becoming so commonplace, I wonder whether that isn't the future. How many people still buy PC games for example in stores instead of on Steam or similar services?

i still buy them in store.. if i can't get a physical copy from a store the games worthless to me.

not if american ISP's have anything to say about it.

loading times would actually INCREASE if you went back to a cartridge format.....

SD cards on average read about 4-8mb a sec compared to like 100MB a sec for today's average

Before anyone says anthing about SSD drives lol games are not going to come on those any time soon due to prohibitive cost.

Currently SDHC card interface for media up to 32MB as a max read speed of 10MB/Sec (class 10 card)

Go back to carts. Too many games are filled up with too much fluff, voice overs, and cinematics that have made the experience more like tv and less interactive. It's as if developers have taken the near "limitless" capacity of optical media for granted and have forgotten how limited they were in the past. Without limits, innovation has ground to a halt.

For the next generation of consoles, I suppose carts using really fast USB 3 flash drives, using some proprietary connector of course:(, would be acceptable. Of course it would only make sense if the prices of flash mem reaches near parity with DVD/BRD disc or DD. Which is simply not going to happen.

Go back to carts. Too many games are filled up with too much fluff, voice overs, and cinematics that have made the experience more like tv and less interactive. It's as if developers have taken the near "limitless" capacity of optical media for granted and have forgotten how limited they were in the past. Without limits, innovation has ground to a halt.

You obviously have missed some of the better games in the past 5 years.

This. Anyone that thinks physical media is going to survive the next decade is living in there own reality. The infrastructure might not fully be there yet but more and more gamers are opting for downloading games instead of buying physical copies.

The infrastructure might not fully be there yet but more and more gamers are opting for downloading games instead of buying physical copies.

I find it hard to believe that Console Gamers and Publishers are going to flock to DD the same way their PC bretheren have over the last 5 years.

loading times would actually INCREASE if you went back to a cartridge format.....

SD cards on average read about 4-8mb a sec compared to like 100MB a sec for today's average

Before anyone says anthing about SSD drives lol games are not going to come on those any time soon due to prohibitive cost.

Currently SDHC card interface for media up to 32MB as a max read speed of 10MB/Sec (class 10 card)

That's not right at all. Class 10 just means that it has to be able to maintain at least 10MB/s write speed. There are Class 10 cards that do faster than that, and their read speeds are almost always higher than their write speeds.

Also, though currently not cheap, there are compact flash cards that can read 90MB/s, which is higher than the PS3's 72MB/s blu ray drive.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that Console Gamers and Publishers are going to flock to DD the same way their PC bretheren have over the last 5 years.
They already have. Ever hear of XBLA and PSN games? Those markets are huge. Some full retail titles are available for download as well. It's only a matter of time before all new releases are offered that way.

This. Anyone that thinks physical media is going to survive the next decade is living in there own reality. The infrastructure might not fully be there yet but more and more gamers are opting for downloading games instead of buying physical copies.
And on top of that, many gamers don't even have optical drive anymore. Myself included.

Thats only because per/byte billing isn't in place yet and caps aren't lowered to the point of insanity quite yet.

If everyone starts going digital downloads only, you think ISP's aren't going to restructure to better make money off it? The current caps are a first step, and it's only going to get worse.

In the end you're going to pay way more for that convenience.

Back