World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

Use shift instead of scroll. It blows me away to watch people aim from turrets and waste time scrolling in and out when they could just hit shift and make decisions more quickly.

Completely agree with this. The only time I would say use the scroll wheel is when the ship your firing at is within 1 km.

No kidding. That's why the Aoba is considerably better at cruiser hunting than the Cleveland until you get into the Cleveland's sweet spot for range. Then the rate of fire takes over.

Use shift instead of scroll. It blows me away to watch people aim from turrets and waste time scrolling in and out when they could just hit shift and make decisions more quickly.

Completely agree with this. The only time I would say use the scroll wheel is when the ship your firing at is within 1 km.

I don't zoom in fully though, so shift works well in situations where I'm at long range, like on my BB, however on both DDs and CAs I tend to be closer to 50-70% zoomed in during battles.

Yes. Right click for sit awareness and manuevers, shift to zoom, only stay zoomed as long as req to make a view/shot.

I like watching my victims turrets wobble as they look around frantically for the source of the death being rained upon them.

No kidding. That's why the Aoba is considerably better at cruiser hunting than the Cleveland until you get into the Cleveland's sweet spot for range. Then the rate of fire takes over.

I do. I have it mapped to the space bar. Far easier to find.

I see a LOT of guys use the scroll though, and I see it scroll scroll scroll when they do it. This mouse gets rid of that completely.

Yes. Right click for sit awareness and manuevers, shift to zoom, only stay zoomed as long as req to make a view/shot.

I like watching my victims turrets wobble as they look around frantically for the source of the death being rained upon them.

They need to fix that damn bug so it don't swing your view around when you release it.

I have the option NOT to swing back to the original location enabled in the prefs, and dammit that's what I want it to do. It works right on lower class ships, but for some odd reason it's broken on mid-higher class ships.

Ok, is it just me or is this whole random appearing/disappearing of ships thing getting bit out of hand?

I've had several games tonight where a target was no more than 1000 yards away and just as I'm about to blast them to hell, they just up and blink out. They re-appear 30 seconds later on the other side of my screen.

That ain't realistic at all, and it's pissing me off.

Oh, it drives me nuts when a ship appears, and a split second, disappears, causing a massive drop of FPS. They need to fix this shit.

Ok, is it just me or is this whole random appearing/disappearing of ships thing getting bit out of hand?

I've had several games tonight where a target was no more than 1000 yards away and just as I'm about to blast them to hell, they just up and blink out. They re-appear 30 seconds later on the other side of my screen.

That ain't realistic at all, and it's pissing me off.

most likely a destroyer and most likely using smoke.. the biggest problem with smoke is that if you're zoomed in, you can't see it depending on your graphic settings(as far as i know).

as far as view ranges it depends on their ship and your ship.. for example battleships trying to see DD's have a view range(when the DD isn't firing or using smoke) of 5.8km-6.3km depending on tier, cruisers 6.3km-6.8km depending on tier, DD's i believe it's some where around 4.8km-6km.. but the ships also have different detectable ranges. so it's a pain in the ass until you learn all the ranges then it gets easier.

then to add to that, the furthest you can see a DD firing is 16km from you or some one on your team, cruisers is 20km and BB's is 25 or 30km if i remember correctly.

some one correct me if my numbers are wrong, these are just the ranges i've seen in game.

Ok can someone help me understand wtf just happened?

Me in New York vs Fuso

25 hits with AP shells = ~7k dmg to the Fuso
10 hits Fuso on me = 44k dmg on New York

I would literally watch shots hit time after time and do 0 dmg...?

Me in New York vs Fuso

Angles.

Is it true Atago is a crap money maker or did they fix it ? i read on warship forums its an expensive ship and it gives u as much as a tier 4 or 5 ship that cant be right or ? in world of tanks a tier 8 premium tank always gives more credits then regular tanks even if u play tanks so to me its weird if this is true since the ship is very expensive so why would anyone buy this if it earns so low credits ?

I only have murmansk and aurora and the first is pretty decent i usually earn over 100k easy but im not that great either but still i bought it to get extra credits..

No. Battleship. No smoke. No reason for it to be disappearing.

most likely a destroyer and most likely using smoke.. the biggest problem with smoke is that if you're zoomed in, you can't see it depending on your graphic settings(as far as i know).

as far as view ranges it depends on their ship and your ship.. for example battleships trying to see DD's have a view range(when the DD isn't firing or using smoke) of 5.8km-6.3km depending on tier, cruisers 6.3km-6.8km depending on tier, DD's i believe it's some where around 4.8km-6km.. but the ships also have different detectable ranges. so it's a pain in the ass until you learn all the ranges then it gets easier.

then to add to that, the furthest you can see a DD firing is 16km from you or some one on your team, cruisers is 20km and BB's is 25 or 30km if i remember correctly.

some one correct me if my numbers are wrong, these are just the ranges i've seen in game.

Me in New York vs Fuso

He probably double citadel'd you.

Buy the Murmansk for $15 and grind it too, especially during double days. It costs a few dablooms to convert to free XP, but it's the fastest way I know of.

I think it's the best paid-for ship there is. Get it before it goes away :)

It's a slightly updated Omaha that was apparently loaned to Russia.

Yeah, I have a Murmansk and a Tirpitz. Both very good at earning money and generally blowing other ships out of the water. :D

I have no problem with this. What bugged me the most was the 25hits = 7k dmg on him... shots hitting him broadside doing 0 dmg...

You were most likely hitting it in the area where it is most heavily armored at a bad angle.

Reallllly bad few games

Game one with the russian T6 DD, I got 2 hits in before being detonated!
Game two with a Hatsuharu, before I even fired the first salvo, detonated!
Game three with the russian T6 DD took out 1 T5 US DD, about take out a mitsuki, which was stuck on the sinking hull of the T5 US DD i just killed, 2 km away... DETONATEDDDDDDDD

ARGGGGGG 3 games, 3 detonation deaths

You were most likely hitting it in the area where it is most heavily armored at a bad angle.

Reallllly bad few games

Game one with the russian T6 DD, I got 2 hits in before being detonated!
Game two with a Hatsuharu, before I even fired the first salvo, detonated!
Game three with the russian T6 DD took out 1 T5 US DD, about take out a mitsuki, which was stuck on the sinking hull of the T5 US DD i just killed, 2 km away... DETONATEDDDDDDDD

ARGGGGGG 3 games, 3 detonation deaths

When I have this happen to me, I usually just call it a day. lol

Is it true Atago is a crap money maker or did they fix it ? i read on warship forums its an expensive ship and it gives u as much as a tier 4 or 5 ship that cant be right or ? in world of tanks a tier 8 premium tank always gives more credits then regular tanks even if u play tanks so to me its weird if this is true since the ship is very expensive so why would anyone buy this if it earns so low credits ?

I only have murmansk and aurora and the first is pretty decent i usually earn over 100k easy but im not that great either but still i bought it to get extra credits..

The Atago is a weird ship. For me at least.

For a VIII, it sure is weak. It gets blown out from underneath you really easy regardless of it's relatively high hit capacity numbers. As I've said before, it feels like someone installed plate glass windows in the side of it.

It handles like a battleship, just a little higher speed. It's really quite sluggish for a cruiser. Turret transit time doesn't impress me. Neither does the pretty long reload time.

And it comes with a big ass target on it's back. You will attract everyone.

I think the Murmansk is a far better buy. I make way more XP with that than I do the Atago.

The Atago is a weird ship. For me at least.

For a VIII, it sure is weak. It gets blown out from underneath you really easy regardless of it's relatively high hit capacity numbers. As I've said before, it feels like someone installed plate glass windows in the side of it.

It handles like a battleship, just a little higher speed. It's really quite sluggish for a cruiser. Turret transit time doesn't impress me. Neither does the pretty long reload time.

And it comes with a big ass target on it's back. You will attract everyone.

I think the Murmansk is a far better buy. I make way more XP with that than I do the Atago.

I have no problems ripping atagos apart on a New Orleans, or North Carolina. It is really easy to get a hit on the citadels

I've had my ass totally handed to me by other cruisers more than once.

Also to go with your murmansk point, Omahas are annoying to fight if they are used by good players :p when they chase you, and utilize their 5 front guns, giving you a very narrow angle to shoot at

a few things confuse me about this game

The cleveland, was a successor to the Atlanta. Also, the New Orleans, was the test bed which the the cleveland would later be influenced by as well... Why is the cleveland so low in the chain ,or why are the Atlanta and NO higher up? Anyway.

Last edited:
WRT Cleveland: An attempt to balance in its 155's vs. the "heavier hitting" 200's is my only thought. And, well, heavy vs. light cruiser classification from the Washington treaty was really in name only.

If there's a bifurcation in heavy/light cruisers lines, then it should move up in tier (and have the shell travel time nerf negated slightly).

The Cleveland will be tier 8 when the CL line is introduced, whenever that happens. It'll likely get buffed in a few spots is my guess.

Man, I am really starting to love the Myoko in ranked battles. 5-7k HE damage to BBs with fires added to it every 15 seconds. Also TORPS!

Game crashed on me mid battle tonight when my internet connection reset. At exactly 1am. Hmmm.... sounds fishy to me Mr. Verizon...

Anyway, I re-ran the game after the internet came back about 30 sec later, and it booted me right back int o the game I was in.

Of course I was dead as hell. I guess my ship just sat there and got pummelled while I was being rebooted.

a few things confuse me about this game

The cleveland, was a successor to the Atlanta. Also, the New Orleans, was the test bed which the the cleveland would later be influenced by as well... Why is the cleveland so low in the chain ,or why are the Atlanta and NO higher up? Anyway.

the new orleans in the game is based on the re-design after 1942 and it wasn't til that re-design that it became known as the New Orleans class. the cleveland class was designed off the Astoria class designs which was broken up into 3 different test designs in the 1930's which eventually lead to the creations of the Brooklyn, cleveland, and baltimore classes.

the pensacola which is actually an older design and a terribly designed ship in real life, the version used in the game is the final upgraded version that happened some where between 1942-1945 with all the upgraded AA for carrier support.. the pensacola should actually be replaced by the northampton in the game because it makes more sense to the upgrade path to the new orleans. but really the northampton and it's successors are pretty much identical except their AA and armor since the US stopped giving a shit about the various ship limit treaties signed before the war.

the key way to tell which version of the Pen they used, is the fact that the pen had torps up until 1941 when they were replaced for more AA guns.

Me in New York vs Fuso

what was your range to him? how was he oriented toward you? was he firing AP or HE?

these are 3 questions you have to ask your self any time you're shooting at something. range plays a huge part in whether AP will penetrate a target. how their ship is angled toward you plays another big part in whether you bounce rounds or they penetrate.

you don't just point and click and anything that hits equals damage dealt, there is actually a lot of strategy in what ammo you use, where you hit a target depending on how they are oriented, where you hit a target to set them on fire, or if they already have multiple fires if it's worth using AP to try and penetrate through the fire damage.

No. Battleship. No smoke. No reason for it to be disappearing.

what were you in then? because there is a reason for them to disappear, you may not just be seeing that reason. is it annoying? sure but being able to see any ship anywhere sorta ruins the game play and also gives even more of a reason to run bare minimum graphic settings with max draw distance since lowering settings removes a ton of visual things you'd normally have impairing your view if you had the graphics turned up.

Last edited:

Me in New York vs Fuso

You were overpenning his superstructure and he was not.

the new orleans in the game is based on the re-design after 1942 and it wasn't til that re-design that it became known as the New Orleans class. the cleveland class was designed off the Astoria class designs which was broken up into 3 different test designs in the 1930's which eventually lead to the creations of the Brooklyn, cleveland, and baltimore classes.

the pensacola which is actually an older design and a terribly designed ship in real life, the version used in the game is the final upgraded version that happened some where between 1942-1945 with all the upgraded AA for carrier support.. the pensacola should actually be replaced by the northampton in the game because it makes more sense to the upgrade path to the new orleans. but really the northampton and it's successors are pretty much identical except their AA and armor since the US stopped giving a shit about the various ship limit treaties signed before the war.

the key way to tell which version of the Pen they used, is the fact that the pen had torps up until 1941 when they were replaced for more AA guns.

what was your range to him? how was he oriented toward you? was he firing AP or HE?

these are 3 questions you have to ask your self any time you're shooting at something. range plays a huge part in whether AP will penetrate a target. how their ship is angled toward you plays another big part in whether you bounce rounds or they penetrate.

you don't just point and click and anything that hits equals damage dealt, there is actually a lot of strategy in what ammo you use, where you hit a target depending on how they are oriented, where you hit a target to set them on fire, or if they already have multiple fires if it's worth using AP to try and penetrate through the fire damage.

what were you in then? because there is a reason for them to disappear, you may not just be seeing that reason. is it annoying? sure but being able to see any ship anywhere sorta ruins the game play and also gives even more of a reason to run bare minimum graphic settings with max draw distance since lowering settings removes a ton of visual things you'd normally have impairing your view if you had the graphics turned up.

Don't remember the ship, but it was an old fashioned broadsides fight at well less than 1000 yards. His ship filled my screen. Poof! Gone!
No excuse for it.

So I just started this game a couple days ago (and didn't search for invite code before I signed up to get some extras, probably should have), any particular newbie pointers?

Should I be stockpiling points at low level ships or leveling up asap? Stick with one particular tech tree or play US & IJN?

So I just started this game a couple days ago (and didn't search for invite code before I signed up to get some extras, probably should have), any particular newbie pointers?

Should I be stockpiling points at low level ships or leveling up asap? Stick with one particular tech tree or play US & IJN?

Have you watched any youtube videos for beginners? Great way to learn the 101 of the game.

Biggest things are: DONT TUNNEL VISION!!!! and keep an eye on the mini-map. You can enlarge the mini-map using the (-) and the (=) keys.

Any idea on what ship line you are interested in?

I've watched a few, seem to do ok with artillery/aiming, and probably better so far at DD and the hit&run / harassing type movement, rather than the cruisers. Not good with the torps though, need a lot of work on those.

Is the signup bonus with an invite code worth creating a new account for? (500 doubloons, 3 days of premium & 150k credits). I've unlocked the first couple of cruisers and destroyers for both US & IJN, and have about 1.5m credits.

I've watched a few, seem to do ok with artillery/aiming, and probably better so far at DD and the hit&run / harassing type movement, rather than the cruisers. Not good with the torps though, need a lot of work on those.

Is the signup bonus with an invite code worth creating a new account for? (500 doubloons, 3 days of premium & 150k credits). I've unlocked the first couple of cruisers and destroyers for both US & IJN, and have about 1.5m credits.

Sounds like the USN DD line is the way to go for you. As for the signup bonus: Yes, you need a new account for that.

cool thanks. Any particular benefit to staying at lower level ships for a while versus trying to climb the tech tree quickly?

are the doubloons and the 3 days of premium worth the hassle of starting over?

For reference, 1250 doubloons will set you back about $7 from the shop, about the only thing you'd be able to do with 500 is un-mount equipment (costs 25 for each thing you remove) so you don't have to re-buy the same equipment on the next ship.
A lot of it's pretty cheap, but once you get ships with 4 or more equipment slots (about tier 5-6), you can have a couple million credits worth of stuff added to a ship that you get nothing back on when you sell the ship.

But, for the most part, I'd just not mount the more expensive equipment until you get a ship you want to keep for a while.

The premium is 50% bonus XP and credits, but up to about tier 5 you can unlock just about any ship you want in an evening or two without it. If you plan on grinding all weekend, you'll probably come out ahead, but basically you'd have to re-earn 2/3rds of all the XP you've already got just to break even.

Back