World of Warships Enters Open Beta!

After an hour and a half of play, I'm hooked. This is bad ass. Is World of Tanks and Planes just as fun? :) It's kick ass. I lost a few and won a few, but I'm getting better. :)

After an hour and a half of play, I'm hooked. This is bad ass. Is World of Tanks and Planes just as fun? :) It's kick ass. I lost a few and won a few, but I'm getting better. :)

i prefer warthunder planes/tanks over World of planes/tanks but thats just me.

I went from sucking at DDs and hating them to learning how to play them better and starting to like them. DDs definitely require more tactical gameplay than just the arcade style point and shoot (simplified) of Cruisers and Battleships.

American Destroyers really favor guns and have the torps as auxiliary since the ship can be detected at 7km but the torps only go 5.5 km. Thus American DDs are more useful in chokepoints where there's a higher likelihood that you will be able to catch hostiles within torp range. Leave yourself enough room to maneuver to turn and use the other side of your torp launchers as well. (Major weakness of US DDs imho.)

For Jap DDs torps are everything. The guns suck, the range sucks, the traverse sucks, just all around suckage. However, detection range is 6.1 km yet torp range is 7 km. That allows for hit and run style attacks without being detected. Jap DDs are also awesome at sneaking through the front line and coming up on BBs from the other side where the guns aren't pointed, or to seek out that CV that's in back somewhere.

Pro tip: Don't pop smoke to protect others. The results are marginal as the other player will usually be too stupid to realize that you are trying to help him and will move out of the smoke so that s/he can reacquire the target s/he was shooting at. Keep your smoke to protect yourself!

Conserve HP, conserve HP, conserve HP!
In the end-game a DD can deliver decisive damage to turn the tide of the battle, but only if the DD is alive. I frequently come in as top 3 on damage dealt with my T4 DD, with my T2 and T3 DDs I was often on top of most damage dealt.

DDs aren't suicide cappers, just stay alive and don't be afraid to run and sail half way across the map to hit something else.

glad to see some ones enjoying them and understanding the game play.. during closed beta they were the most retarded broken pieces of crap. when WG'ing finally nerfed them the 3 weeks of crying from all the people claiming they were completely useless now was mind numbing.. i definitely enjoy the new style of DD's.. you can't just use your smoke and sit there for 3 minutes firing torps the entire time then popping smoke again right as the last one starts dissipating. also as far as the tip goes, completely agree early on, later on when you hit tier 7/8 most people understand the mechanics of the game that using smoke to conceal your team coming in right behind you works really well. by that point most people should know how to turn their AA on/off (default: P key) so they stay hidden in the smoke even if a carrier flies planes over you or a scout plane flies over you. that'll keep you hidden until you fire your guns.

Selling the St. Louis was my one and only mistake thus far. I got the Phoenix fully upgraded, and it's definitely fun, but man, the St. Louis is like nothing but guns, the alpha damage alone is awesome and the rate of fire is awesome as well. I'll probably just re-buy it.

So far the St. Louis is the best trolling ship because if you get the aiming right the damage it delivers is just maddening for those on the receiving end, especially if you follow up a kill with a "<3" in chat. ;)

the St. Louis is a beast for sure, but the phoenix and Omaha give you a bit more options then just being a slow fortress on water. once you get to the Cleveland and the Pensacola then shit gets real. i absolutely love the Cleveland, but it's a hard ship to play due to the insane travel time of it's rounds but it's so satisfying when you massacre a battleship. if you like to play a more support cruiser role, the Pensacola has insane AA once you unlock the captain skill for AA range/efficiency(4 point skill, i always forget the name of), high RoF + range but not as tanky as the Cleveland but not as bad as the furutaka.

Last edited:
i prefer warthunder planes/tanks over World of planes/tanks but thats just me.

glad to see some ones enjoying them and understanding the game play.. during closed beta they were the most retarded broken pieces of crap. when WG'ing finally nerfed them the 3 weeks of crying from all the people claiming they were completely useless now was mind numbing.. i definitely enjoy the new style of DD's.. you can't just use your smoke and sit there for 3 minutes firing torps the entire time then popping smoke again right as the last one starts dissipating. also as far as the tip goes, completely agree early on, later on when you hit tier 7/8 most people understand the mechanics of the game that using smoke to conceal your team coming in right behind you works really well. by that point most people should know how to turn their AA on/off (default: P key) so they stay hidden in the smoke even if a carrier flies planes over you or a scout plane flies over you. that'll keep you hidden until you fire your guns.

the St. Louis is a beast for sure, but the phoenix and Omaha give you a bit more options then just being a slow fortress on water. once you get to the Cleveland and the Pensacola then shit gets real. i absolutely love the Cleveland, but it's a hard ship to play due to the insane travel time of it's rounds but it's so satisfying when you massacre a battleship. if you like to play a more support cruiser role, the Pensacola has insane AA once you unlock the captain skill for AA range/efficiency(4 point skill, i always forget the name of), high RoF + range but not as tanky as the Cleveland but not as bad as the furutaka.

I cannot get the Phoenix through a damn battle.

Oh and I cannot stand getting stuck with a group of retards.

I cannot get the Phoenix through a damn battle.

Oh and I cannot stand getting stuck with a group of retards.

is your commander still retraining? if so that'll probably explain why, if not what commander skills do you have currently? also a good tip, have your commanders setup for specific roles, don't bounce it between say battleships to destroyers. since the commander skills you should get are very different.

eh welcome to multiplayer and match making you'll have plenty of games like that. just play your own game and if you win you win, if you don't then shit happens and move on to the next one.

Quite enjoying this so far. Gameplay has been nothing but enjoyable, a couple of UI complaints
I wish I could zoom out farther, not being able to see what's directly behind me makes it easy to turn into teammates (fortunately, the friendly ramming damage is very minimal right now).
Is there a way to set it so you can always see the full health bars, and ship type on the UI, the info you get with Alt UI is much more useful than the default.

Is there a way to just toggle free camera vs gun aim? Holding the right mouse isn't a bad solution, but normally the first minute or two is just looking around to see who's going where, if any enemy destroyers are dropping smoke ect.

Warplanes is just bad, don't bother. Like others said, if you want fly, War Thunder is what you should play.

Tanks can be fun, but the rage factor is much higher because it normally only takes a handful of good hits to kill you (and if you're not top tier, there's often a few artillery that can one shot you without warning). Warships seems to be much more forgiving in that the big health pool for your ship allows you to recover from a bad play.
But I think it also means you're less likely to pull back a game going badly, Other than a big torpedo strike, you can't really land those huge punches.

Avoid Warplanes, but Tanks is an amazing game. I played that on and off for 2 years, more than any other game on any platform. The strategy used there is very similar to Warships, but the gameplay is a bit faster.

Quite enjoying this so far. Gameplay has been nothing but enjoyable, a couple of UI complaints
I wish I could zoom out farther, not being able to see what's directly behind me makes it easy to turn into teammates (fortunately, the friendly ramming damage is very minimal right now).
Is there a way to set it so you can always see the full health bars, and ship type on the UI, the info you get with Alt UI is much more useful than the default.

Is there a way to just toggle free camera vs gun aim? Holding the right mouse isn't a bad solution, but normally the first minute or two is just looking around to see who's going where, if any enemy destroyers are dropping smoke ect.

Warplanes is just bad, don't bother. Like others said, if you want fly, War Thunder is what you should play.

Tanks can be fun, but the rage factor is much higher because it normally only takes a handful of good hits to kill you (and if you're not top tier, there's often a few artillery that can one shot you without warning). Warships seems to be much more forgiving in that the big health pool for your ship allows you to recover from a bad play.
But I think it also means you're less likely to pull back a game going badly, Other than a big torpedo strike, you can't really land those huge punches.

An AP round just between the front turrets of a Iowa BB will drop it from full heath to sinking wreck in one shot.

yes, go into your settings/control's on the left part of the menu at the bottom you'll see an option that says something like alternate battle interface mode it'll show you the health bars of everyone you can see. it'll also give you a range indicator on your gun sight, zoomed and unzoomed.. if you press ctrl + X it'll lock your gun's so you can free move your camera, then press X again(can press ctrl + X again as well to turn it off) and it'll unlock the guns, very helpful in battleships.

also another recommendation to pretty much everyone, turn collision avoidance system off, it doesn't work all that well, especially when going between 2 islands it freaks out and auto turns you into the other island.

not true at all, a really good player can easily one shot you without any issues in any ship you're in.. in the game it's called a citadel hit. you can also get a magazine hit where the opposing player you hit ends up blowing them self up by firing their guns(funny as hell when it happens to you and when you do it to some one else). and yes it is possible to come back in a game, while it's hard it's still possible.. theres been a few games i've won while being the last person alive and theres games i've lost that we went from winning 900 tickets to 50 tickets only to end up losing to a solo destroyer because people got cocky. just because your team has more ship losses doesn't mean you should ever give up, anything can happen and does happen.

Last edited:
Actually the Devs said that the next faction to be released will be Russia. Don't ask me why, since the Russian Navy consisted of MTB and a few old submarines....

ummm...Russian devs?

COMMENCE THE BIAS RANTS !!!

Last edited:
Russian ships only make sense because of the dev nationality. Would prefer German and Brit ships first. :cool:

Started playing this today, so much fun.

However how do you get new ships? I click on one that I have the money for and it tells me I need to research it in the tech tree first.

I click on the tech tree and see all the ships, but can't seem to research any.

I notice it has both a money requirement an dsome little "star" symbol requirement, but it doens't list how many o fthees I have, where do you get these?

I assume it's exp?

It says I need to research the previous ship to unlock this next one, how on earth does that work for Air carriers/destroyers, etc where you don't even have any? You can't get exp in a ship you dont have (From what I can see so far).

Started playing this today, so much fun.

However how do you get new ships? I click on one that I have the money for and it tells me I need to research it in the tech tree first.

I click on the tech tree and see all the ships, but can't seem to research any.

I notice it has both a money requirement an dsome little "star" symbol requirement, but it doens't list how many o fthees I have, where do you get these?

I assume it's exp?

It says I need to research the previous ship to unlock this next one, how on earth does that work for Air carriers/destroyers, etc where you don't even have any? You can't get exp in a ship you dont have (From what I can see so far).

ok so each ship unlocked with the XP you earn from the previous ship in the tier. for example the tier 2 ship unlocks the tier 3 cruiser and the tier 2 destroyer. the tier 3 cruiser unlocks the tier 4 cruiser and tier 3 battleship, the tier 4 battleship unlocks the tier 5 battleship and the tier 4 carrier. hopefully that makes sense. so you need the XP to unlock the ship and the silver to purchase the ship.

as far as how much XP you have, if you go to the tech tree you'll see a silver star with a number next to it on each ship, thats the amount of XP you have for that specific ship, if you mouse over the ship below it, it'll show the XP cost + silver cost. also if you go to the module tab, below where it says hull(or if you're in a tier 2 cruiser/tier 3 cruiser below the gun range increase module) you'll see an arrow pointing to the next ship for you to unlock, it'll show how much XP that ship requires to unlock it.

on top of that when unlocking the next tier of ship you must also unlock all the hulls for that ship otherwise it's tacked onto the total amount to unlock the next tier ship.

also my recommendation is that you only ever have a maximum of 4 captains per country. 1 for destroyers 1 for cruisers 1 for battleships 1 for carriers. when purchasing a ship when it asks for a captain, above that there's a drop down select no captain and purchase it. you can then select a captain you already have and then retrain them for that ship. otherwise what ends up happening is you get to tier 6 or 7 and your captain is technically a tier 3 skilled captain instead of having all the skill points you would of had if that captain had been used the entire time you grinded up to that tier 7 ship.

Weird, I unlocked a couple ships an dit never once asked about captains, I did'nt even know you had captains lol.

captains?

my interface has fuck all about captains

your account needs to be level 5 to unlock captains. sorry completely forgot about that since CBT accounts were automatically set at level 6 in OBT.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info fellas.

Yeah wtf , why would they not put in British or German ships? I mean the British Navy were huuuuuuge in both WWI and WWII, they should be the next imo.

Yeah wtf , why would they not put in British or German ships? I mean the British Navy were huuuuuuge in both WWI and WWII, they should be the next imo.

that could be the problem, they're huge.. trying to pick out which ships to use over other ships could cause a problem, where as russian built ships are pretty few and far between thus easier to release, who knows. i mean hell they didn't even completely finish the USN/IJN until 0.4.0 when they added the tier 10 carriers, and 0.3.0 i think it was when they added the two tier 5 carriers.. all we can do is wait and see.

There's a lot of factors involved.

First and foremost you have to consider that WG is Russian and they need to keep their largest userbase interested. Secondly, how many ships of the Soviet navy are paper ships? I'd imagine it'd be easier/faster to model those ships and get them in place than the mountains of photos and details of the real ships from the Kriegsmarine and Royal Navy.

I think the game will expand quite a bit as each navy gets added.

Should u fire AP or HE shells when playing tier 1 and 2 cruisers ? what works best...

i installed this days ago and still haven't tried it....

i would think like WoT in tier 1/2 it doesn't matter what you use. HE is for trying to set them on fire and the AP to get better damage and citadel penetrations.

nope subs will not be added to the game, dev's have been pretty much dead set on that. although i think theres ways they could add them without them being stupidly broken.

just give them stupid low amounts of health so they are pretty much a 1 shot kill. Give them slow speeds, slow turning, slow surfacing and diving and the ability to only fire while surfaced.

they could do it but yea it would probably take away from the core game.

just give them stupid low amounts of health so they are pretty much a 1 shot kill. Give them slow speeds, slow turning, slow surfacing and diving and the ability to only fire while surfaced.

Way back before Alpha testing started WG went on record saying that subs were never coming to WoWS. They said they tested them and they pretty much broke the game. Now, it is possible that they chose to move on at that point and focus on the core game with ships.

Perhaps if the community for this game remains big and after adding other nations ships.. maybe then, maybe they'll try again. But for now, nobody should remotely expect they are in the pipe at all.

Not sure how they couldn't balance subs...

I mean there's PLENTY of ways they could have balanced them and set counter.s

Depth Charges
Anti-sub planes
Mines
Hedgehogs
other submarines

Require them to surface to see their map/enemy positions, etc.

I bet they didn't have mos tof these kinds of things in game when they "tried" putting them in.

Not sure how they couldn't balance subs...

I mean there's PLENTY of ways they could have balanced them and set counter.s

Depth Charges
Anti-sub planes
Mines
Hedgehogs
other submarines

Require them to surface to see their map/enemy positions, etc.

I bet they didn't have mos tof these kinds of things in game when they "tried" putting them in.

I agree, I would love to see them add them to the game. I just feel they passed on them.. for now.

Should u fire AP or HE shells when playing tier 1 and 2 cruisers ? what works best...

rule of thumb is 205mm -305mm guns use AP against low armor targets HE vs high armor targets 305mm+ use AP.. everything below 205mm use HE rounds.

Way back before Alpha testing started WG went on record saying that subs were never coming to WoWS.

World of WarSubmarines!
Could be a whole different game using the same engine and only destroyers as surface ships, anti-submarine planes.

HE for the first two tiers. After that there's a lot of variables involved with neither HE or AP being the only answer except in a couple of scenarios.

I'm just finishing up some clips to add to a new video I'm doing on HE/AP that applies to all the tiers. I hope to have it finished tonight.

Considering the issues they have with balancing the classes as the game currently stands I can't imagine how ridiculously stupid it would get with subs in the mix.

Man, playing a ship with Torpedos is fun but at the time time so frustrating!

I already took out two friendlies because idiots literally turn right into the path of my torpedos that I warned them about and tell them to watch out and they ignore it.

It's not like they are hard to miss.

I already took out two friendlies because idiots literally turn right into the path of my torpedos that I warned them about and tell them to watch out and they ignore it.

If you're not up front launching the torpedoes you have no right to launch them in the first place. You're out of position, not them. Also, you can warn people all you want but it doesn't remove the accountability from your hands at all.

Remember, people ahead of you who are getting shot or who are spotted have to have room to maneuver. The last thing they should have to worry about are teammates trying to sink them, too.

problem is friendly torps are actually a royal pain in the ass to see since they're just a white triangle thats hard to pick up if you're moving your camera around quickly to find where they're coming from.

I have yet to lead anyone sufficiently with torps to score a hit...lol

and trying to get up close I just get mauled by gunfire

If you're not up front launching the torpedoes you have no right to launch them in the first place. You're out of position, not them. Also, you can warn people all you want but it doesn't remove the accountability from your hands at all.

Remember, people ahead of you who are getting shot or who are spotted have to have room to maneuver. The last thing they should have to worry about are teammates trying to sink them, too.

So when I have a clear line of sight on an enemy, no friendlies in front of me and I fire my torpedos and then some jackass comes from the side and goes RIGHT in front of their path it's my fault?

Back