World Community Grid

Great...thanks. Be cool if phoenics and 10esseeTony brought some of that firepower to the cause.

I don't think phoenicis will be of much help. He's been round the clock working lately and hasn't had time to deal with DC. Last I spoke with him he was having issues with systems crashing and power issues that he hasn't been able to address.

We had seen this effort earlier in the week and brought it up in Slack. I think some of us are just waiting until after the challenges are up. We have until Sept. of 2020 to hit a 100 year run time and he is already 26% there according to his website. However, I think most at this point will just be looking to see how far it can be pushed in that time.

I hear ya. Makes sense. I noticed some people ran other project than the Cancer ones, reading must be hard lol. I'll probably pull off in about a week from now. Then hit it again in a few more weeks.

I hear ya. Makes sense. I noticed some people ran other project than the Cancer ones, reading must be hard lol. I'll probably pull off in about a week from now. Then hit it again in a few more weeks.

Looks like he changed it to 1,000 years now. That is more of a challenge...lol.

Edit: Also, for those that don't know, this kids dad is a long time WCG'er by the name of OldChap. He is talking about his ongoings here: https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,17232_offset,5840#618229

Last edited:
World Community Grid: Planned Maintenance on Friday, January 24, 2020
We are updating the operating system on our servers on Friday, January 24, beginning at 17:00 UTC.
1/23/2020 4:45:12 PM · more...

I wish there was a way we could crunch on this coronavirus, I'd have all the doors and windows open.
I hope they do. They created a project for Ebola and Zika besides the usual big ones (AIDS, Cancer). Please crunch on when you can;)

I wish there was a way we could crunch on this coronavirus, I'd have all the doors and windows open.

WCG would be more than happy to add the science if you can find any researchers willing to set something up. The biggest problem is finding someone interested that has enough work to justify importing as well as willing to publicly share their results after it is done.

In case people were interested, Smash Childhood Cancer has work again.

Reactions: EXT64
like this
Thanks Gil. I switched my Android back on it, and it looks like my other systems (which I had left on MCM and SCC) started getting a few SCC units as well. On quick glance it looks like runtime is fairly variable and I already see complaints about credit in the forum, so I imagine that there will be some growing pains. Oh well, I'm glad to see it back!

We're elated to announce that World Community Grid now has two projects running that can use power from Android devices.

Smash Childhood Cancer, which was on hiatus for several months, has now resumed. Additionally, Mapping Cancer Markers is now also compatible with Android devices. You can make sure you're contributing to these two projects by logging in to the My Projects section of our website.

Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] with any questions.

Thank you for your participation and support!

The World Community Grid team

like this
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,42232?linkId=85584147

Dear Volunteers,

Today, IBM announced OpenPandemics , a new World Community Grid project in partnership with Scripps Research. Once launched, this project's main goals are:
  • Search for potential treatments for COVID-19.
  • Develop additional open-source drug discovery tools and processes that can be quickly deployed to address future pandemics and epidemics.

World Community Grid has been working behind the scenes to get the project launched as quickly as possible and we'll keep you up to date throughout this process. As soon as we begin alpha testing (internal testing of work units that will eventually be sent to volunteers' computers), we will make an announcement in this thread. We'll also update this thread with links to announcements about beta testing, the project launch, and regular project updates, so that anyone visiting the forum can quickly find the latest information.

In order to keep these announcements as visible as possible to all forum visitors, this thread will be locked. Volunteers are encouraged to post about OpenPandemics on the following threads:

Also, we will be strictly enforcing our communications guidelines, which you can read here .

We're thankful for everyone's support for World Community Grid and all humanitarian scientific research. Now, more than ever, we're all in this together.

Many thanks,
Juan

Yes. I'm still working on a few badge goals but the only one not to my minimum so far is ARP. The phones are happy with SCC and MCM. This will be a nice addition.

Hi everyone, to answer your questions:
  • The research application will be AutoDock, which is developed by Scripps and has been used on a number of World Community Grid drug discovery projects in the past.
  • At this time, AutoDock runs on Windows, Mac and Linux but not Android.
  • We are working very aggressively towards launch, but don't yet have an expected launch date. We will keep you posted as we get further into the onboarding process.

Many thanks,
Juan

Update by WCG on the progress of COVID project. Make sure you check the box "Participate in Beta Testing" in your "My Contribution" page when the new beta tasks are released.
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,42232_offset,0#623519

1586290468358.png

like this
The new BETA work units are going out. Make sure you have your buckets out...

also, for anyone running one of the Rasp. Pi variants.. Open Pandemics has an app for Linux + ARM now.

Perfect timing - my Arm Farm has been down for a little while now and I was just about to switch it from Linux to Android ... now no need!

Good news. Open Pandemics has a Linux/ARM application as noted above. It is also possible to have a GPU application in the future. - https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,42230_offset,15#623215

Bad news. People are reporting that the work units may be scoring lower. Also, some are reporting that it may also be heavy on L3 cache which would certainly mean your system would be bottlenecked if you don't configure your work unit selection well. - https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,42399

I'm not sure how to measure L3 loading, however I did a quick, unscientific comparison on my Epyc and MIP is currently getting me ~ 35pts/hr while OPN is getting 25pts/hour. I'd have to look at more computers/units/etc. to say anything with confidence, but on initial look I'd say the concern is plausible. I only care about runtime hours though anyway :D

Open Pandemics also has a 7 day deadline. Quorum of 1 after your host is labeled as reliable.

\

https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=42561&offset=0#631065
OpenPandemics - Monthly Calls with Researchers​
We just finished our June call with the research team.
1. The researchers just started looking at the first batch of data that we sent them, and everything seems good.
2. They've been working hard on several grant applications, which have now all been sent in.
3. They're planning to create their own monthly volunteer updates in addition to this one. More info will come directly from them in the coming weeks.
4. The researchers have been working on a GPU version of AutoDock, and their initial testing has gone very well. WCG's tech team will now begin their own testing and will provide more information soon. No ETA yet--stay tuned!
5. They've been invited to write two academic papers related to the project--one specifically about OpenPandemics and one about AutoDock. We'll let everyone know once these are published.

Current status of work units:

Available for Download: 8,479 batches
In Progress: 1,941 batches (15,362,727 work units)
Completed: 1,973 batches total - 1,973 batches in the last 30 days - average of 65 batches per day
Estimated backlog: 130 days

^^ Will be cool if they get a working GPU version. I took the GPU off Stanford for now (added a little over 100 million) and threw it over on Milkyway. But if Pandemics gets the GPU going that's where I'll assign it.

Just be prepared for a huge onslaught of people trying to run the application right out of the gate. It may have supply/demand issues. Also, OP seems to score lower than the other sub projects or at least it did. I haven't looked for a while. So, if points matter keep an eye on how well it pays.

Just got BOINC set up on my sff PC (AMD 3400G, 8GB SC 2800). It's currently crunching away at 8 tasks, with 2 more queued. Mostly microbiome, with a couple openpandemic and a couple mapping cancer.

First task should be submitted in about 4hrs, if the est is accurate. Been a while since I BOINC'd, so my avg is nil right now.

My SSD keeps dropping off the face of the earth, must be time to replace it (already tried different sata data and power cables). Well, got ~8yrs out of it, anyway. :/

8 years is pretty darn good all things considered. Are you already past its rated endurance for writes?

8 years is pretty darn good all things considered. Are you already past its rated endurance for writes?
I'd have to look at the smart data, but probably not. It was in a rarely used laptop most of its life. I think what probably killed it was a combination of being powered off for long periods between use and just simply old age.

motqalden just a couple billion sector reads/writes, a few million read/write commands, and almost as many (corrected) read errors/error bits. Still 58(%?) life, supposedly.

Going get a new drive this weekend. Got everything copied to a flash drive for now (ugh it's slow...accidentally got a usb2 drive).

Edit, forgot the screenshot:
IMG_20200903_094101088~2.jpg

The only SSD i have ever had die was an OG 64GB OCZ Vertex. I think the controller died, it also dropped out a few times here and there and then one day it went dark.

motqalden just a couple billion sector reads/writes, a few million read/write commands, and almost as many (corrected) read errors/error bits. Still 58(%?) life, supposedly.

Going get a new drive this weekend. Got everything copied to a flash drive for now (ugh it's slow...accidentally got a usb2 drive).

Edit, forgot the screenshot: *snipped*

Lines 1 and 197 tell the story well enough; hits a bad "block" and just goes bye-bye. The error bit count seems a bit high, however I'm not sure what program that is, so can't reference my drive as an example. You mentioned trying a different data cable, and a different power connector, but did you try a different SATA controller port? Even though you have a new drive coming it's worth thinking about. :)

Back