Windows XP Gets Another Extension

kill off that os already!:rolleyes:

Posts like this and ones below crack me up. XP is going to be around along time because it's a better OS than Vista ever has been. My copies of TinyXP/MicroXP (and other performance builds) are going to be sticking with me for a long time because they're lean and mean with none of the bloat that Vista has. (and vlite is no where near as good currently, *maybe* in 5~ years)

Lol, I'm almost in that group myself. I go to college this fall.

But I started using computers when I was 4; yes, I remember DOS. :p[/QUOTE]

+1 to that!

It's all I use, we have 9 systems here, 8 running XP. Used Vista for a bit, but some piece or software or hardware always sent me back to XP. It would really be hard to live without XP, unless somehow they get Windows 7 running absolutely perfectly.

Long live XP!

Great news for my customers and me. It means they can still run their proprietary software that is tailored for XP and not have to be forced to switch to Vista.

XP is not going to die off any time soon. The biggest reason is money. My university can not afford to update several thousand systems just to move to vista which we have yet to see any real advantage to running.

Unless of course all you guys crying for XPs death want to pitch in and buy us some news systems :)

Why would a university not have either software assurance or a campus agreement? Both would allow you to run any version of Windows that you saw fit, and with the educational discount it's dirt arse cheap.

Pretty much all the "issues" people have with hardware and software related to Vista, are BECAUSE it's a newer OS and the developers of the hardware and software have had no incentive to fully support it.

And they STILL will not as long as these stupid extensions keep happening.

The early posts about people who equate XP with Windows because they have used it for so long is absolutely correct and the longer this goes on the worse it will get. There are currently an unfathomable number of people out there who think that anything less than 100% compatibility with XP, with nothing behaving even one tiny bit different, means Vista/Windows 7 is automatically a piece of junk. They can't even remember back far enough to the last time they changed an OS. Also as said above many younger people people including young adults have never used anything other than XP. They don't even understand WHY an OS has to change, or that it MUST change to be competitive and secure.

Scary thought: If a person was 12 years old in 2001 when they first really started to use a desktop PC (6th grade, time to start doing reports on a PC), they could be 20 years old now, in college or on the job, and have never used an OS other than XP.

I have many older customers who have started using a PC within the last 8 years. They also know no other OS than XP. They equate the change to Vista as bad because it's different to use, not because of any single reason they can communicate.

Most folks out there today have never had the un-user-friendly pleasure of using DOS or Windows 3.1. They have no idea how far we have come with operating systems or why we need to keep changing.

Operating systems must change and it's impossible to say that XP has not had a great run. It is for sure a benchmark to measure against for decades to come. But... it's time to let go.

Oh, and to top it off I'm still flaming pissed off that there is even a 32bit version of Windows 7. No system capable of running it, or with a reason to run it in the first place should be using a CPU that can't do 64bit. It's just damn odd.

Why would a university not have either software assurance or a campus agreement? Both would allow you to run any version of Windows that you saw fit, and with the educational discount it's dirt arse cheap.

And beyond that any university, a place of supposedly higher learning, that either can not afford or will not pay for software less than eight years old should be seriously questioned as to whether they care about their students being prepared for the real world! In just a few more months, these universities will be not one but two operating systems behind the curve and almost 3 years out of touch with current Windows software.

Seriously, what the hell? These places are supposed to WANT their students to be prepared when they leave but insted their IT deapartments seem to have decided they don't want to learn anything new or expend dollars to stay merely within YEARS of being current.

After a year of Vista use on my laptop, I finally dumped it for XP.

XP will be around longer than Vista. As soon as W7 comes out, the Vista lemmings will dump Vista. And there will still be XP for use with older computers. Long live XP!

I'm looking forward to the release of W7 for no more reason than to kill off Vista. Let Vista die already.

Slow down, I have an automotive analyzer that refuses to work with Vista. I have to keep xp on a laptop, while the rest of my systems are Vista. I'm quite sure theirs a few other people with the same problem. If you would like to buy me a new analyzer that will be supported in Vista be my guest, PM me and I'll give you my address so you can ship the money.

Don't you already have a copy of XP to run you analyzer on? If so, how would MS not extending the OEM sales of XP affect you?

I will give him that he might have the machine die on him then have to buy a new one. However at some point in time he needs to consider upgrading as sooner or later he will be forced too. The problem that people like him and others seem to over look is that Windows 7 will not support any older hardware/software that Vista does not. In fact it will probably support LESS hardware / software than Vista does. I already know that my keyspan I use with my laptop does not work under the 64-bit version of windows 7 beta (tried installing it with the vista 64-bit drivers). That might change come RTM, it might not. If you are going to use computerized equipment then upgrading that is part of doing bueiness. You should have had backup plans in place to begin with as you should have known that no OS will last forever.

Long live XP!!! MS Should support it until at least 2014. Businesses are not going to upgrade until they absolutely have to. I like XP. It just freaking works. I have no desire to go to vista, what a horrible OS. They couldn't even get the shut down option right, I mean, shut down should be shut down, not go into stupid hibernation mode. I think MS should continue to work on and make XP 64 bit a viable upgrade option. I may consider moving to 7 but it wont be until 2012 or 13 at the earliest. I like XP.

You can change the power setting. There is nothing wrong with putting the machine into hibernation mode instead of shut down. I actually perfer to do that, it boots up faster and allows you do keep your programs and stuff open without the need to close out of everything.

And beyond that any university, a place of supposedly higher learning, that either can not afford or will not pay for software less than eight years old should be seriously questioned as to whether they care about their students being prepared for the real world! In just a few more months, these universities will be not one but two operating systems behind the curve and almost 3 years out of touch with current Windows software.

Seriously, what the hell? These places are supposed to WANT their students to be prepared when they leave but insted their IT deapartments seem to have decided they don't want to learn anything new or expend dollars to stay merely within YEARS of being current.

Maybe I failed to make my point. We can not afford to buy new computers that will run Vista. So any extension the give for XP whether it is sales or support is a good thing in our eyes.

It has nothing to do with learning vista, it is all about the money. Our personal machines use vista. We would have to spend the money to replace hundreds of computers in my building alone. Then we would have to retrain the profs and the staff, not to mention all the software programs we would have to research and see if they would run on vista, I'm sure most would but that is not the issue. All this takes time and money we don't have, our system works as it is now, it isn't broke, there is no reason to upgrade. There are many reasons not to.

We have a site license for any version of windows we want. The issue is not the cost of the software for us. We have faced budget cuts for the last nine years in a row I am able to replace maybe 20 computers a year out of several hundred in my building alone.

I love how so many people think that because vista is the solution for them and their business or home life that everyone else is in the same situation and it will work for them. Vista is not the solution for everything. I'm sorry that Microsoft giving people choices cause so much heartache for you guys whining about how XP needs to die.

Xp should have died years ago. Vista runs fine on my Pentium M /2gb notebook.

And the last people that anyone should listen to regarding this are network admins. The majority of them wouldn't buy enough ram to run explorer and never seem to update their os with service packs for patches.

Maybe I failed to make my point. We can not afford to buy new computers that will run Vista. So any extension the give for XP whether it is sales or support is a good thing in our eyes.

It has nothing to do with learning vista, it is all about the money. Our personal machines use vista. We would have to spend the money to replace hundreds of computers in my building alone. Then we would have to retrain the profs and the staff, not to mention all the software programs we would have to research and see if they would run on vista, I'm sure most would but that is not the issue. All this takes time and money we don't have, our system works as it is now, it isn't broke, there is no reason to upgrade. There are many reasons not to.

We have a site license for any version of windows we want. The issue is not the cost of the software for us. We have faced budget cuts for the last nine years in a row I am able to replace maybe 20 computers a year out of several hundred in my building alone.

I love how so many people think that because vista is the solution for them and their business or home life that everyone else is in the same situation and it will work for them. Vista is not the solution for everything. I'm sorry that Microsoft giving people choices cause so much heartache for you guys whining about how XP needs to die.

What kind of systems are you running there, i386's? Most modern PC's can run vista with a simple memory upgrage. But I notice that most admins would rather chop off their hands than provide their users with enough ram.

Some people are just stuck in a tech rut. People like that are the reason we have delayed the transition to digital broadcast TV. As if TV was some protected right and we musn't progress until every dinosaur has a broadcast converter box.

What kind of systems are you running there, i386's? Most modern PC's can run vista with a simple memory upgrage. But I notice that most admins would rather chop off their hands than provide their users with enough ram.

We still have P3s for a handful of people. A bunch of Athlon 2200s or 2400s that are maybe 8 years old. The rest of our machines would most likely handle vista without to much trouble.

We have actually stopped upgrading for the year. There will be no new systems, no ram, nothing but what we have right now. There just is no money. Our dean is out in the business community begging people for cash but it won't be going to IT, it will be going towards keeping peoples jobs and keeping our college accredited.

The only good thing about our situation is that we can cycle out some of the student computers which are under a different budget. So next year I'll get 40 x2 3800s that have had the crap kicked out them for the last three years. Can't wait to get my hands on them! :)

The only good thing about our situation is that we can cycle out some of the student computers which are under a different budget. So next year I'll get 40 x2 3800s that have had the crap kicked out them for the last three years. Can't wait to get my hands on them! :)

I used to work in a college IT dept. For what people use the computers for, even an X2 3800+ is overkill. In fact, where I used to work they've been moving away from individual computers to a thinclient system. Seemed like they were going backwards, but it saved them money I guess.

Oh, and to top it off I'm still flaming pissed off that there is even a 32bit version of Windows 7. No system capable of running it, or with a reason to run it in the first place should be using a CPU that can't do 64bit. It's just damn odd.

NETBOOKS!!! AFAIK, Atoms are only 32-bit and the netbook market is huge.

We still have P3s for a handful of people. A bunch of Athlon 2200s or 2400s that are maybe 8 years old. The rest of our machines would most likely handle vista without to much trouble.

We have actually stopped upgrading for the year. There will be no new systems, no ram, nothing but what we have right now. There just is no money. Our dean is out in the business community begging people for cash but it won't be going to IT, it will be going towards keeping peoples jobs and keeping our college accredited.

Well, I hope things start looking up for your college and the rest of our economy for that matter.

So much hate for XP, one of the most beloved OS's MS ever made. How quickly the masses change their tune.

It still a fine OS, and there's no REAL reason to go to vista unless you want mainstream support for >4GB of RAM.

Ahh the memories! This so reminds me of the time they where talking about dumping support for NT4.0 or how about Windows 2000 (which XP is just a face lift of IMHO, kind of like Windows 7 for Vista). XP will not die, it is not like they are going to flip a switch and all XP PCs will brick themselves. Hell I know people still using 98 and at my place of work we still have hundreds of PCs with Win 2000 on them. The OS will still work, just Microsoft wants to stop throwing money at the support of an OS 8 years old and spend those resources on the newer OSs

Who cares if they still support XP? As long as they still support Vista and Windows 7, I don't really care what Microsoft does.

I got a kick out of reading this thread...

How the fuck does Microsoft extending the SALE of XP affects you who already have a licence/copy of XP? What, when they stop SELLING it will your copy stop working? Ah? Sometimes I'm just speechless at the stupidity...

Once again, they still sell new licenses with netbooks. Until Windows 7 comes out, netbook users aren't going to want Vista on their netbooks.

So was DOS, Sounds like the end of the circle.
6.gif

I'd rather not search for something, So I'll pass on this egg as It stinks!
1.gif

WTF? Both Vista and 7 have start Menus, and I don't ever search for stuff, I have been on Vista Since May 2008 and absolutley love it,

it has

• better Multicore Support
  • better memory managament
  • crashes way less than XP does ( I keep mine on without a restart for 2 weeks at a time )
  • just plain works better.... :)

XP just works. Its not like windows 98 and 95 that kept crashing or you had to reinstall every few months. The operatings systems are becoming robust enough to where companies don't need to change that often anymore. If it ain't broke why fix it. I know a lot of schools around here use windows xp and 2000 still. Even on newer pcs lol. Windows xp is going to be like dos. Its going to take many generations to fully kill it. I think windows 2000 still has microsoft support so xp isn't going anywhere for awhile.

If Microsoft could leech money from your wallets for using XP, then we never would have had Vista. It's a money grab, just like all companies. They didn't do it out of necessity. Hardware vendors love them for it, because now they have an excuse to not build drivers for older hardware, thus forcing us to buy more new hardware for a new OS (and adding more to the landfills). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm all for a new operating system, but to force customers onto one (with new computer purchase) that doesn't support their older hardware is petty. I have a perfectly fine laser printer that only has XP drivers. I'm just hoping if the printer dies that XP will work on the new computer hardware. Since the only thing I print is tax forms once a year and the rare coupon/receipt, it would be pretty crappy to be forced to buy a new printer just because Microsoft broke the drivers with their new OS.

Vista and Vista SP2 (aka Win7) have crashed waaaay more than XP ever did on me. Overall, I am still happy with them, but wish they had polished Vista before release. I'm hoping Win7 will be stable and reliable by the time it goes retail, but I have my doubts and thinking it won't be until Vista SP3 (Windows 8) that most people can say it's rock solid. :p

I still have yet to hear a single person give one valid reason why people should be forced from purchasing XP with a new computer.

So much hate for XP, one of the most beloved OS's MS ever made. How quickly the masses change their tune.

It still a fine OS, and there's no REAL reason to go to vista unless you want mainstream support for >4GB of RAM.

Because you know what's real, right? Get real.

I used to work in a college IT dept. For what people use the computers for, even an X2 3800+ is overkill. In fact, where I used to work they've been moving away from individual computers to a thinclient system. Seemed like they were going backwards, but it saved them money I guess.

NETBOOKS!!! AFAIK, Atoms are only 32-bit and the netbook market is huge.

Atoms are 64-bit.

Don't you already have a copy of XP to run you analyzer on? If so, how would MS not extending the OEM sales of XP affect you?

The other individual was saying that xp should die. I'm saying I need xp support until Vista can run all my or other peoples programs.

The other individual was saying that xp should die. I'm saying I need xp support until Vista can run all my or other peoples programs.

Ending sales does not mean ending support. XP is on extended support until at least 2012, and will probably be extended well beyond just as Win98 and Win2000. But even if XP support of suddenly cut off, MS is not going to kill off already existing copies of XP. That would be corporate suicide.

Ending sales does not mean ending support. XP is on extended support until at least 2012, and will probably be extended well beyond just as Win98 and Win2000. But even if XP support of suddenly cut off, MS is not going to kill off already existing copies of XP. That would be corporate suicide.

Gotchya

and what does your unwillingness to upgrade have to do with MS continuing to sell XP?

A lot of people are hesitant to upgrade. I like my computer running the way it is, and I'm sure a lot of people do, too.

A lot of people are hesitant to upgrade. I like my computer running the way it is, and I'm sure a lot of people do, too.

and still, this has what to do with MS continuing to sell XP to OEM's? What makes you think that MS not selling XP, or even supporting it, is going to affect you?

Long live XP!!! MS Should support it until at least 2014. Businesses are not going to upgrade until they absolutely have to. I like XP. It just freaking works. I have no desire to go to vista, what a horrible OS. They couldn't even get the shut down option right, I mean, shut down should be shut down, not go into stupid hibernation mode. I think MS should continue to work on and make XP 64 bit a viable upgrade option. I may consider moving to 7 but it wont be until 2012 or 13 at the earliest. I like XP.

Seriously, Vista shuts my computer down on the rare occasion that I ask it to.

Where do all of these myths about Vista come from?

Oh and as far as businesses not upgading, the military already has started. Who do you think is Microsoft's biggest customer? I would say if it isnt the DoD, its damn close to the top.

the military already has started.
Military doesn't even USE Vista. The Navy, for example, uses XP. There was an article on the frontpage of Slashdot I believe some time ago about how the US Navy is using Windows XP for all their equipment (of course, keep in mind that the Navy has the source code to Windows XP now and they went through to fix all and any known bug, etc).

And about Vista being more stable than XP -- I see no difference between the two as far as stability. XP doesn't ever crash or freeze for me, so...

Back