Windows XP Gets Another Extension

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Looks like even the advent of Windows 7 won’t be enough to put Win XP out to pasture, at least not right away. Microsoft extended the option to sell XP on new systems for another year, through 4/30/2010. The source is from HP but it likely encompasses other builders that still offer XP.

Microsoft isn't excited about the XP extension, as the internal communique provided by the source stated, "It’s important to remind customers that Microsoft are still planning to retire XP Pro Mainstream support on April 14th 2009 and will only provide OS security updates beyond that date unless the customer has an Extended Hotfix Support contract. MS Extended Support for XP Pro ends on April 8th 2014."

kill off that os already!:rolleyes:

Agreed. I understand a lot of people still use XP and many more don't like Vista, but with Vista getting more and more stable and efficient along with the wake of Windows 7, Windows XP needs to be put to rest.

Jesus Christ, let it Die already.

There is no reason to allow that OS to keep being sold.

If actually true, I am guessing this is really only to satisfy short term net book needs prior to Win7's release.
Then again, the source for this particular bit of news is Apple insider, who supposedly got the info from HP, but it has yet to be corroborated by HP or MS or another less strongly aligned site, sooo................

9 Days! And with no clear upgrade path from XP x64 to Windows 7, Except through Vista of course and then MS gets rid of the Start Menu in Windows 7 as their wacked together idea is to Search for Your installed programs now, It's like Oh installed shortcuts are so 90's, Lets make users search for them instead and If they can't find them anymore too bad.
1.gif

I might go with Vista or I might not and just stay put, Dear MS: No user installed programs? No upgrade path from XP or XP x64? No SALE...
78.gif

Our laptops couldn't run Vista/Windows 7 if we even wanted to. Theirs no way in hell im going to go out and buy beefier laptops for my family just to run new windows versions. XP is perfect for slow computer when you don't want to figure out how to use linux but still have a lightweight OS.

This is probably just to fill in the time until Windows 7 is released.Vista has gotten so much bad press that regardless of it's stability now,many people just don't trust it,they'd rather wait for 7's release.

I still haven't found a good reason to tell friends/family why they should "upgrade" from XP to Vista...

9 Days! And with no clear upgrade path from XP x64 to Windows 7, Except through Vista of course and then MS gets rid of the Start Menu in Windows 7 as their wacked together idea is to Search for Your installed programs now, It's like Oh installed shortcuts are so 90's, Lets make users search for them instead and If they can't find them anymore too bad.
1.gif

I might go with Vista or I might not and just stay put, Dear MS: No user installed programs? No upgrade path from XP or XP x64? No SALE...
78.gif

I actually find the searching for programs to be simple and easy... Why wade through a menu that has at time covered my entire screen when I can easily type 3-10 keys and click once?

Vista x64? Having some cake... Win7 x64? Eating it too...

1.gif

78.gif

Sigh...

This is why MS should never have allowed one OS to dominate the market for five years. That's just too long; many people have become too ingrained in their XP habits to accept any change at all. It doesn't matter how much better the new interface is; if its different, it sucks (to them).

For fuck sake...XP needs to DIE.
XP will stay alive until there is a viable alternative. Basically long enough to see if Windows 7 with be the version that is.

The reality of the matter is Vista was no XP when it came to speed on low end hardware, compatibility, and stability. It's by and large the business community that's keeping Windows XP alive. They will continue to do so until Windows 7 gets released and surpasses Vista in acceptance, and they can guarantee stability in-line with the current XP boxes they own.

Once Microsoft puts out a better product consumers will upgrade. Simple as that. Until then MS will keep milking that XP cow, and I don't blame em.

1.gif

78.gif

What the fuck are you talking about. There is a start menu in windows 7, vista and windows 7 both give you shortcuts to installed programs without you having to search your machine for the program. You can install your own programs, not sure what makes you think that you can't install programs anymore under windows vista or above. And there is an upgrade path from xp to windows 7, only dumbasses were stating otherwise. Microsoft already stated it you can upgrade from xp to windows 7.

Try to lay off the drugs some before posting

Once Microsoft puts out a better product consumers will upgrade. Simple as that. Until then MS will keep milking that XP cow, and I don't blame em.

Consumers HAVE upgraded to that better product. MS projected 200 million sales of Vista in 24 months (ending jan. 09), when that time came around, there were *350 MILLION* copies of Vista in circulation (see wikipedia's Vista and OS market share articles.) I suppose that's not good enough for you, though? Nothing is ever good enough for the Vista bashing trolls that spam forums and blogs 24/7 with their incredibly ignorant tripe. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I understand a lot of people still use XP and many more don't like Vista, but with Vista getting more and more stable and efficient along with the wake of Windows 7, Windows XP needs to be put to rest.

I have Vista 64 ultimate but I still haven't moved yet. I'd rather think of it in terms that a lot of software/games out there still has compatibility problems with vista, vs vista stability problems.

Sigh...

This is why MS should never have allowed one OS to dominate the market for five years. That's just too long; many people have become too ingrained in their XP habits to accept any change at all. It doesn't matter how much better the new interface is; if its different, it sucks (to them).

Something else is that, assuming they started using computers when they were 11 or 12, a lot of high school students have only ever known XP. That's the same crowd you hear bitching the loudest about Vista. To them, Windows is XP. They never knew 2000, ME, NT, etc.

XP is not going to die off any time soon. The biggest reason is money. My university can not afford to update several thousand systems just to move to vista which we have yet to see any real advantage to running.

Unless of course all you guys crying for XPs death want to pitch in and buy us some news systems :)

I actually find the searching for programs to be simple and easy... Why wade through a menu that has at time covered my entire screen when I can easily type 3-10 keys and click once?

Vista x64? Having some cake... Win7 x64? Eating it too...

So was DOS, Sounds like the end of the circle.
6.gif

I'd rather not search for something, So I'll pass on this egg as It stinks!
1.gif

I just installed Vista and I can't see why people still want to use XP.
I should have installed it on my main machine a long time ago.

I don't know why there is so much Windows XP hostility. For one thing, the whole Netbook thing pretty much demands that XP be used if you're going to run Windows. Windows 7 works, but it's not out yet. Ubuntu is cool, but not for everyone. Vista is too big of a resource hog for a netbook.

What the fuck are you talking about. There is a start menu in windows 7, vista and windows 7 both give you shortcuts to installed programs without you having to search your machine for the program. You can install your own programs, not sure what makes you think that you can't install programs anymore under windows vista or above. And there is an upgrade path from xp to windows 7, only dumbasses were stating otherwise. Microsoft already stated it you can upgrade from xp to windows 7.

Try to lay off the drugs some before posting

Perhaps he spent his time looking for irritating smilies to paste in his message instead of checking his facts? Did he really think MS would miss out on all that money by not offering an XP to Win7 upgrade?

I see a lot of people commenting that XP will live on because the need/ability/desire to upgrade beyond it doesn't exist. What does that have to do with SALES of XP? YOu already have your copy, MS isn't going to make any money from you and the extension of sales would not apply to you.

I just installed Vista and I can't see why people still want to use XP.
I should have installed it on my main machine a long time ago.

Agreed. I have been hanging on to XP for a long time, but I decided to move to Vista 64 for my new build. So far I like it very much, and I would not consider going back to XP.

6.gif

1.gif

So use shortcuts? What is wrong with you? You can still have desktop shortcuts, there is still a startmenu, and the quicklaunch bar has been turned into something actually useful. The search is an ADDITION, *not* a REPLACEMENT.

I think this is a good thing. XP is still alive and strong however unfortunate. I know that at my place of employment we are skipping Vista all together and waiting for Windows 7. We've been testing with the beta and are hopeful so far.

Something else is that, assuming they started using computers when they were 11 or 12, a lot of high school students have only ever known XP. That's the same crowd you hear bitching the loudest about Vista. To them, Windows is XP. They never knew 2000, ME, NT, etc.

Lol, I'm almost in that group myself. I go to college this fall.

But I started using computers when I was 4; yes, I remember DOS. :p

Pass it up then. We ain't gonna force you.
Myself, I will keep using Xp and Vista in dual boot until I build a new rig. Then I will dual boot Xp for older games that don't get along with Win7, and Win 7 for everything else.

You can hold out all you want, Xp support is going away. That is not going to change, no matter how much you cry, beg, kick, or scream.

1.gif

78.gif

6.gif

1.gif

In two posts you have proved several things;
1) You know nothing about vista at all, as everything you are ranting about is blatantly false.
2) You use Xp64 which is quite possibly the biggest pos outside of Windows ME which further nullifies your opinion as having even the slightest hint of merit.
3) You spend entire too much time looking for some of the most retarded smilies on the planet. Seriously, only bored housewives use smilies like that.

In two posts you have proved several things;
1) You know nothing about vista at all, as everything you are ranting about is blatantly false.
2) You use Xp64 which is quite possibly the biggest pos outside of Windows ME which further nullifies your opinion as having even the slightest hint of merit.
3) You spend entire too much time looking for some of the most retarded smilies on the planet. Seriously, only bored housewives use smilies like that.

Yeah, those smilies are pretty fuckin retarded.

To those who enjoy Vista / Say vista is much better.. yes you are 100% right. Now if Vista SP1, with all the latest patches as of today was packaged in the initial release, then YES switching to Vista would have been great. I ended up going back to XP, but from the builds from W7, I'll go straight to it and bypass Vista all together.

For fuck sake...XP needs to DIE.

Slow down, I have an automotive analyzer that refuses to work with Vista. I have to keep xp on a laptop, while the rest of my systems are Vista. I'm quite sure theirs a few other people with the same problem. If you would like to buy me a new analyzer that will be supported in Vista be my guest, PM me and I'll give you my address so you can ship the money.

Slow down, I have an automotive analyzer that refuses to work with Vista. I have to keep xp on a laptop, while the rest of my systems are Vista. I'm quite sure theirs a few other people with the same problem. If you would like to buy me a new analyzer that will be supported in Vista be my guest, PM me and I'll give you my address so you can ship the money.

Don't you already have a copy of XP to run you analyzer on? If so, how would MS not extending the OEM sales of XP affect you?

Long live XP!!! MS Should support it until at least 2014. Businesses are not going to upgrade until they absolutely have to. I like XP. It just freaking works. I have no desire to go to vista, what a horrible OS. They couldn't even get the shut down option right, I mean, shut down should be shut down, not go into stupid hibernation mode. I think MS should continue to work on and make XP 64 bit a viable upgrade option. I may consider moving to 7 but it wont be until 2012 or 13 at the earliest. I like XP.

Sigh...

honestly they should just put the goddamn xp theme in 7 as an option, like how you can have the 98 look in xp.

that way they can shut the hell up, and move over to the normal gui when they feel they are ready...and the rest of us can actually enjoy our new features

thats actually a pretty interesting point....

since 2001, when XP was introduced, personal computer has been *introduced* to millions of people....

for many of those millions, winXP was what they started with, and all they used since...

vista FTW.... win7 = meh ........... though i'll upgrade if I dont have to pay for it :)

I have been running Vista 64-bit for about 17 months now and my only issue with it is that it is a memory hog (if you do anything other than basic computer tasks (ex email, web browsing, word, etc) you need 4GB of ram) and tasks the GPU and CPU a bit more. I never ran Aero until about 3 months ago and decided to try it for a week and turned it off at the end of the week as it is crap IMHO and turned off UAC day one. 64-bit Vista is currently more stable than XP 32-bit ever was (for me at least, then again I am very good at breaking Windows :D but I still get an order of magnitude fewer blue screens in Vista that I did in XP). There are a few quirks in Vista that you have to get used to but they are minor but I love the resource monitoring tools that Vista has. I have tried Windows 7 but don't care for it much compared to a striped down Vista.

In all honesty though if I hadn't gotten Vista for free I would still be running XP today as I can't see any reason to upgrade to Vista (or Windows 7 for that matter yet but that may change when we see the RTM version) unless you want/need DX10 or like the look and feel of Aero. If you need to get a new system I see no reason not to get Vista but if you are fine with your current system then I see no reason to upgrade to Vista. In a corporate environment, however, it is a different story but I don't want to go into that as it is a whole other monster.

Back