Votes: 87 36.0%
  • IOS

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Android

Votes: 166 68.6%
  • Meego

Votes: 10 4.1%

• Total voters
That's entirely circumstantial. Most popular OS of all time? WP7 has 1% market share. The same as Palm. It's not even growing.

I'm talking about Windows 8, the sucessor to Windows 7. Same Metro UI.

Words With Friends is a big one. There is no App on WP7 for cross platform play. WP7 is not cool. It does not bring out the 'oos' and 'ahhhs' when you show people.

I never said all the apps were there, I do think that Windows 8 will help with this as it's very easy to write for both Silverlight on Windows Phone and WinRT, aka Metro, using a similar code base.

Win8 isn't the discussion nor is something in the future. We are discussing 'now'. Tiles show me the #'s of mails and 1 meeting appt. Android shows me a few of my recent mails and my entire calendar. android Widgets, whichever you choose, will show you all info. The drop down window shade shows me even more notifications.

You don't like tiles, fine. All I'm saying is that they can display a lot of information when used that way. And the thing about Windows Phone is that it's so damned fast, the good and built in apps feel seamless anyway, the tile shows me I have unread emails I tap the title and instantly I see ALL of my emails, just like my calendar appointments. I think you're dinging titles for not being full apps, no they are not and aren't supposed to be. They are there to tell you something important and the app does the rest and the idea is that the app should launch quickly.

I'm not saying Android is the best ever, or IOS and WP7 are a complete waste of time. They are certainly not. I'm just giving my reasons why I chose Android ICS over WP7.

And that's understandable. It's nice to have choices, I'm not claiming Windows Phone is the greatest thing since sliced bread but I do like the basic idea of how it works and it's minimalism. I mention Windows 8 because it's really upon us, the Windows Store goes on line in two months and if you've looked at development tools much of developing for Windows 8 and Windows Phone is very similar. I think it's a pretty sure thing that Windows 8 will help spur Windows Phone development especially if Microsoft released tools for the conversion, I'd bet the farm those are coming.

Yeah, apps are definately getting much better in quality now, too. No longer simply horribly metro-themed ports; instead, workable, and fluid, applications (current Amazon Kindle; Newegg apps are some good examples). There are some applications (Tapatalk/Board Express, for example), where the Metro does get in the way of a well implemented application (specifically vs the iOS version, less so vs the Android version), but those are not as common nowadays.

When you look at the bigger picture, most would just see Nokia/WP7. Just like Android/Samsung. Yes there are other WP7 devices with different brands, but Nokia has made themselves the premium partner for WP7. Besides, did HTC or Samsung made extensive advertising about WP7? Nokia did.

Samsung is making the push in the USA. I see more Samsung WP7 ads (for the Focus Flash), than any other phone advert (even Samsung's own jab at the iPhone). Though to be fair, I don't watch TV all that often... I just remember being suprised when an advert finished with a Focus Flash.

Though, TBH, I associate HTC with Android, *mostly* because they were the first partner, and I still remember the G1 on T-Mo (actually, I only remember rarely seeing any out there).

Her's what I do not like about WP7:

Can't stand the UI: 10 colors to choose from for the background only. Really, I can't have a wallpaper?

Can't stand the UI: At a glance doesn’t tell you anything (I have 1 email? Thanks, that's helpful. No preview?)

You have to open the twitter app to view info (tile tells you nothing). Or any app. The live tiles are complete crap.

You can’t view the entire app name if it goes off the screen

Zune audio app sucks - have to use the zune desktop software. I hate using desktop software to manage my device. It is all about transcoding to the device then.

No way to create folders to put apps into – Just a long list to scroll down

Creating custom ringtones is a pain in the ass.

Live tiles just don't update. And if they do they give you minimal info.

Camera is terrible on all phones.

Turn by Turn directions just don’t work at all. Bing maps is shit.

Layout/Navigation - The fonts are too big. Why is everything I view half off the screen? There's no flow to the OS, I never really know where I am.

Metro's high contrast color chemes are terrible and good for short term use only.

Metro's fonts are either too big or too small and you can not change them. Both are way too inconvenient. Large titles do not fit the screen, small font is hard to read. I always feel I need to put on my glasses when trying Metro.

Metro's layout and navigation is inconsistent. There is no fixed layout, there are no indicators where you are, no indicators of what you can do, or where or if you can scroll, It all feels like a game.

All the WP7 hardware is last years hardware. Who loves paying for yesterdays phone?

All I see is your own personal gripes about WP7. I'm sure a lot of non-tech savvy people out there would disagree with you once they used a WP7 device for an hour... Probably even a few minutes.

Yeah, apps are definately getting much better in quality now, too. No longer simply horribly metro-themed ports; instead, workable, and fluid, applications (current Amazon Kindle; Newegg apps are some good examples). There are some applications (Tapatalk/Board Express, for example), where the Metro does get in the way of a well implemented application (specifically vs the iOS version, less so vs the Android version), but those are not as common nowadays.

Yeah, there have been some sloppy Metro apps but there are really nice ones starting to emerge. Spotify is well done in Metro and one I just discovered an hour ago, MyEncylopedia, a Metro styled Wikipedia app, very nice. I think like anything it's simply taken developers time to get up to speed with Metro and how to use it properly instead of just because it's there.

All I see is your own personal gripes about WP7. I'm sure a lot of non-tech savvy people out there would disagree with you once they used a WP7 device for an hour... Probably even a few minutes.

^^Actuallty, his statement on Turb-by-Turn is spot on. It is worthless shit. Android/Google has gotten it nearly perfect, IMO.

Camera being bad, I did notice my Titan is worse than a family member's Vivid. Both have otherwise identical camera HW. It could very well be the same situation as the Lumia 800/N9, where the camera software is simply different.

Zune Music + Video is less logical, IMO, vs the Zune HD's interface. Otherwise, still better thought out vs iTunes (and Amazon music is what I ended up using on Android).

There is a lither bit of inconsistancy in the navigation (IMO), however, it's still rather logical.

And IMO, I agree on the live tiles. Excepting "Weather Live," I have not seem one Live tile feed "usefull" information (not just pretty pics all over the place). Even so, the info is constantly out of date.

Yeah, there have been some sloppy Metro apps but there are really nice ones starting to emerge. Spotify is well done in Metro and one I just discovered an hour ago, MyEncylopedia, a Metro styled Wikipedia app, very nice. I think like anything it's simply taken developers time to get up to speed with Metro and how to use it properly instead of just because it's there.

WP Dev camps :D Sometimes, you meet jewels of people there :) A few helped me port (well, IMO) several workplace applications (though I'm still one of two WP7 users at my workplace... out of 200+ BB, Android, WinMo users [and very few iOS users, strangely enough]).

I'm starting to notice that there are apps emerging within the iOS and Android appstore that's replicating WP7's Metro UI. The media players were the biggest culprit I think.

I'm starting to notice that there are apps emerging within the iOS and Android appstore that's replicating WP7's Metro UI. The media players were the biggest culprit I think.

heh.... even MS themselves :eek: Though that's a good thing, IMO. May help lift the age old stigma of MS being associated with Windows Mobile, if people start noticing MS apps being good. :)

okay, I'm out of this discussion, I always (somehow) end up pissing off more people than not.

What is your openion on latest Nokia Maps used with WP7 compared to Google Maps? With N900 and N9 it still uses 5 yr old maps. So if I want to use those OVI maps in GPS Navigation. Its hard to find new places.

Google Maps > Nokia maps.

But as far as navigation... I'd go for Nokia.

I loaded nokia drive on my titan and it worked better than g nav for myself.

Fully offline voice guidance with offline route recalculation. What more can I ask for?

The maps were accurate, albeit not as a pretty as google maps, and the guidance was good.

I loved the fact that I could choose from 50+ voices which sounded good, unlike google nav.

I voted Android but I do like WM7. As with the iPhone, I would have considered WM7 if they offered an LTE device on Verizon, with a 4"+ display. Hasn't happened so I'm stuck with my Galaxy Nexus. Sucks to be me. :p

still running Windows Mobile 6.5 I like it because

1. It does everything I need it to such as

a. Thumb drive so I can directly load stuff onto it without the need of additional software
b. the dialer is great
c. no cost tethering
d. can do the fb and tweet and im things
e. do not have to hard reset the device if I change out storage cards (unlike WP7.X) just remove old card, copy program structure to new card and insert. voilla, done
f. not locked down.

I like the HD2 cause it can run without any troubles

android (all of them)
meegeo (aka Nokia N900 OS)
WP 7.X (admittedly you have to do some shady things to get it to work right)
Unbutu

But time has come to look for an upgrade.
1) Galaxy Note is brilliant, with 5.3 inch screen and stylus. But apart from android issues, within an year or so, google will cliam that it will stop providing support for this device because of old outdated hardware

Google doesn't need to claim anything about support for the Note - it isn't their device. They don't support it at all - never have and never will. Samsung is the one supporting the Note. If you buy one, your fate is in Samsung's hands, not Google's. If you want support from Google, you have to buy a Google device (which would be a Nexus device).

As for WP7, it still has a "demo" feel to it IMHO. What works tends to be pretty good (although the UI tends to be hit or miss - you either like it or you don't), but there isn't all that much there. And some things just suck, like Bing Maps. Navigation tends to be one of the main things I use my phone for, so Android wins hands down for me.

As for WP7, it still has a "demo" feel to it IMHO. What works tends to be pretty good (although the UI tends to be hit or miss - you either like it or you don't), but there isn't all that much there..

45,000 apps yes small potates compared to iOS and Android but still a lot decent stuff there. As for the "demo" feel when I hear all the times my Android friends have to reboot their phones that's what I think of Android sometimes. The only time I've rebooted my Arrive with Mango on it is when I forgot charge it, that's been six months.

Google doesn't need to claim anything about support for the Note - it isn't their device. They don't support it at all - never have and never will. Samsung is the one supporting the Note. If you buy one, your fate is in Samsung's hands, not Google's. If you want support from Google, you have to buy a Google device (which would be a Nexus device).

Which is BS as well, because Google has held back firmware updates on their own Nexus One device in order to give carriers an exclusive with the Nexus S being the only Gingerbread phone available. Also Google shut down the highly active Nexus One support forums just a few months after they stopped producing Nexus Ones. So even if you want support from Google, don't plan on buying a Nexus phone to get it...

With the little of WP7 I have seen, it is far superior to Android in terms of UI consistency and stability. MS may not be succeeding right now, however I hope they stick with their similar hardware platforms and don't start allowing a ton of UI customization BS down the road. I hate the fact that every time I pickup a new Android phone I feel like I just went full retard since they all try to be different. I think WP7 is stuck right in the US right now due to a lack of hardware availability causing a lack of interest. Hopefully the Nokia phones will soon start to hit every carrier soon, because this shit is way too far off:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzing...e-5-to-be-dethroned-by-microsofts-superphone/

Last edited:
I think WP7 is stuck right in the US right now due to a lack of hardware availability causing a lack of interest. Hopefully the Nokia phones will soon start to hit every carrier soon, because this shit is way too far off:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzing...e-5-to-be-dethroned-by-microsofts-superphone/

Yeah, that superphone I have a funny feeling is Windows 8 ARM on a phone, and even Windows 8 x86 on a phone. I mean at some point with Windows 8 kernel has got to roll into the phone, it's just a matter of time.

Really folks, this is nothing short of revolutionary stuff, one core OS on the desktop, tablet and phone. Microsoft I think is done playing around and now that the anti-trust gloves are out, well they may not succeed but it's not going to be easy to discount either at the very least.

iOS has always synced so easily for me, I've had android for 1.5 years and miss that ability to have all my stuff just sync properly...I've tried tunesync and others but they never worked as smoothly.

iOS has always synced so easily for me, I've had android for 1.5 years and miss that ability to have all my stuff just sync properly...I've tried tunesync and others but they never worked as smoothly.

ios always just took forever to sync anything at all for me. Zune is quick as hell.

Really folks, this is nothing short of revolutionary stuff, one core OS on the desktop, tablet and phone. Microsoft I think is done playing around and now that the anti-trust gloves are out, well they may not succeed but it's not going to be easy to discount either at the very least.

That's what Apple has done for years. iOS is derived from OSX.

That's what Apple has done for years. iOS is derived from OSX.

Were not talking about just derived, were talking about the same kernel, the same OS, the same object code running on all devices. Apple's not done that yet.

WP 7 as it stands now will never see a dual core system, you see it is single core only....;lets not even mention the screen res being pretty much 480*800 max....

WP 7 as it stands now will never see a dual core system, you see it is single core only....;lets not even mention the screen res being pretty much 480*800 max....

Actually Microsoft/Nokia I think are record to add support for dual-core and LTE this year.

Which is BS as well, because Google has held back firmware updates on their own Nexus One device in order to give carriers an exclusive with the Nexus S being the only Gingerbread phone available.

No they didn't. Prove that they "held back firmware updates" please. Google does just the opposite - they *don't* hold anything back, hence why some devices get it first. It's released when it's done. Apple holds back updates, not Google :p

45,000 apps yes small potates compared to iOS and Android but still a lot decent stuff there. As for the "demo" feel when I hear all the times my Android friends have to reboot their phones that's what I think of Android sometimes. The only time I've rebooted my Arrive with Mango on it is when I forgot charge it, that's been six months.

My friends and I have been using Android phones for 2 years now - never once had to reboot it.

Also, I'm not talking about number of apps at all. Nobody gives a shit about number of apps, it's meaningless. I'm talking about the core OS and bundled apps - which are still quite lacking compared to iOS and Android.

No they didn't. Prove that they "held back firmware updates" please. Google does just the opposite - they *don't* hold anything back, hence why some devices get it first. It's released when it's done. Apple holds back updates, not Google :p

My friends and I have been using Android phones for 2 years now - never once had to reboot it.

Also, I'm not talking about number of apps at all. Nobody gives a shit about number of apps, it's meaningless. I'm talking about the core OS and bundled apps - which are still quite lacking compared to iOS and Android.

quoted for posterity.

Also, you never had to reboot an android phone... lol.

In two years? If you say so, my college buddy visting a couple of weeks ago had to reboot his three times in a day.

Core OS with Windows Phone, what exactly is lacking that iOS and Android have?

In two years? If you say so, my college buddy visting a couple of weeks ago had to reboot his three times in a day.

Core OS with Windows Phone, what exactly is lacking that iOS and Android have?

yeah, I don't believe the 2 years no reboot, either. It's not simply that I don't believe, it's just... I had two phones deemed to be the creme-de-la-creme of the Android heap (at their respective launches), the TW [International - non USA sullied edition] Galaxy SII, Moto Atrix. Both have suffered crashes and needed reboots (battery pulls) to get them unfrozen (typically web browser being stuck on news sites). Also had some that were "average," the HTC Inspire, Aria. Both now (still have Inspire, Aria went to coworker :() suffer almost regular hangups on otherwise nearly blank systems (I blame HTC for the strange GB update on the Inspire, and myself for flashing CM7 nightlies all the way upto mid November on the Aria [though it was nearly unuseable as a phone before]). I dunno. Maybe my sample of four phones was not enough, and I simply "need to buy a Nexus phone," in order to avoid "having to reboot my phone," lol :p

At any rate, I do have a few complaints on the stock apps.... (all listed are missing by default)

Youtube (the stock app is horrid... and not preinstalled; HTC Youtube may be better; Metrotube is dead)

Turn By Turn navigate - not everyone cares, I do (in addition... Bing Maps has a teeny voice and nearly unusable for multiple reasons)

World Clock - I use it a lot

Otherwise, I think the stock apps are fine. There are a few I'd like to see in there, like a Voice notes app, and a weather app (maybe a stocks app), but that's really it.

Last edited:
Also, you never had to reboot an android phone... lol.

I haven't. Then again, I've only used Google devices - the original Droid, Nexus S, and now the Galaxy Nexus. Same with my friends, actually.

Obviously it has been rebooted as I've used custom ROMs and gotten updates, but I've never had to restart it due to a crash or hardlock or anything.

yeah, I don't believe the 2 years no reboot, either. It's not simply that I don't believe, it's just... I had two phones deemed to be the creme-de-la-creme of the Android heap (at their respective launches), the TW [International - non USA sullied edition] Galaxy SII, Moto Atrix. Both have suffered crashes and needed reboots (battery pulls) to get them unfrozen (typically web browser being stuck on news sites).

None of those were "creme-de-la-creme" when it came to software, though, just hardware. Also you can kill just the web browser, you don't need to reboot because one app stops working.

Anyone who thinks WP7 or IOS devices do not need to be rebooted is high. I had to reboot my WP7 device just as much as my Nexus devices (which wasn't often) for bugs in the OS. Lose your data connection and some apps would never update until the phone was rebooted.

There was also the Marketplace scrolling issue where it was just freeze and close needing a reboot.

I would need to reboot the device to get it to connect to the POS Zune software a few times.

No OS is immune to needing to be rebooted.

Anyone who thinks WP7 or IOS devices do not need to be rebooted is high. I had to reboot my WP7 device just as much as my Nexus devices (which wasn't often) for bugs in the OS. Lose your data connection and some apps would never update until the phone was rebooted.

There was also the Marketplace scrolling issue where it was just freeze and close needing a reboot.

I would need to reboot the device to get it to connect to the POS Zune software a few times.

No one is saying that Windows Phone is perfect, I did have some issues prior to Mango but after Mango on two phones now, I've seen none of the behavior you're describing.

I haven't had to reboot my WP7 phone in 3 months (since I got it)

I had a Windows phone for a whopping 4 days before I went back to Android. DON'T DO IT

Yes the hardwares are great. But take it this way. Meego that is used in N9 is only customized for one device that is N9. Now Android is used for multiple devices. So there might be possibility that a bug might be fixed on one device and with some other device it might have different bug. Will Google solve all the bugs in which its OS is supported?

I myself have Galaxy S2 for my wife. Its hardwares are indeed good. But if compared with N9 which has a 2 yr old hardware, people face a lot input lags in Galaxy S2 compared to N9. And then switching between application in N900 and N9 is so easy compared to Galaxy. So where is Android lagging?

It is very much possible to see the N9 to lag at odd times, though.

Will Google solve all the bugs in which its OS is supported? On a Nexus, most likely.

BTW, the poll allowed me to vote multiple OSes, I voted Android and Meego.

I never said all the apps were there, I do think that Windows 8 will help with this as it's very easy to write for both Silverlight on Windows Phone and WinRT, aka Metro, using a similar code base.
The problem with Silverlight is that Microsoft has given it the cold shoulder, developers are in limbo as to whether Microsoft plans to ditch it for a Javascript/HTML5 based approach or not. Another point of concern is there is little incentive for developers to make apps for WP7 unless Microsoft teases them with enough dollars to make one. Robert Scoble covered this before: no startup funded by investors are going to bother with WP7 due to the small target market.

Last edited:
...My friends and I have been using Android phones for 2 years now - never once had to reboot it...

I never have to reboot my Droid 2 either. It does that itself on an almost daily basis. :D

I'd be willing to look at Windows phone if they would get any decent models on Verizon. :(

The problem with Silverlight is that Microsoft has given it the cold shoulder, developers are in limbo as to whether Microsoft plans to ditch it for a Javascript/HTML5 based approach or not. Another point of concern is there is little incentive for developers to make apps for WP7 unless Microsoft teases them with enough dollars to make one. Robert Scoble covered this before: no startup funded by investors are going to bother with WP7 due to the small target market.

Incentive or no, there are now almost 50,000 apps for Windows Phone so app count isn't really an issue though I do understand that some of the major ones aren't there.

But in regards to Silverlight, you and I think some developers are making it a bigger issue than it really is. The actual SL platform isn't so much the issue as the tools, code and skill sets being forward compatible. In that regard developing Metro apps in C# is very much the same thing as Silverlight C# development, C# and XAML aren't going anywhere. If you can develop in Silverlight, you pretty much have the skills and knowledge to to develop for Windows 8 Metro.

Metro, WinRT is essentially the new Silverlight and it works with C#, VB, C++ and JavaScript and it will probably be the future of not only Windows Phone but also the XBox. Microsoft is headed for something here that really can easily change the game and it's easy to see how it can change the game and it's the strategy that Microsoft has been pushing for a few years now. All three screens, well four if you count tablets as a screen, not all working together but running in many cases the SAME PROGRAM CODE.

Windows 8 is just the first step in something that's probably going to lead to a HUGE number of devices that app developers simply can't ignore and the beauty is that the apps wouldn't be just for phones or tablets, but laptops and consoles with no effort in many cases.

I never had to reboot my Nexus S or my new Galaxy Nexus.

Thats because your devices run *real* Android, and not some cheap hack jobs running Touchwiz, Sense, etc....

IMHO, the only way to run Android currently is with a Nexus device.... pretty much every single other phone running Android is flawed in some serious ways.... I think the closest a non-Nexus has come to providing a bug free and up to date experience recently has been the HTC Desire Z/G2....

Heres to hoping that the Galaxy Nexus is a big enough hit on Verizon and Sprint to encourage more devices with real Android to be shipped, because it truly is the best of the best of the current mobile OSes when done right

Thats because your devices run *real* Android, and not some cheap hack jobs running Touchwiz, Sense, etc....

IMHO, the only way to run Android currently is with a Nexus device.... pretty much every single other phone running Android is flawed in some serious ways.... I think the closest a non-Nexus has come to providing a bug free and up to date experience recently has been the HTC Desire Z/G2....

Heres to hoping that the Galaxy Nexus is a big enough hit on Verizon and Sprint to encourage more devices with real Android to be shipped, because it truly is the best of the best of the current mobile OSes when done right

argument is full of fail. running ancient win mobile 6.5 here and I rarely have to reboot my device and when I do, it is usually becuase of Opera Mobile 10 not properly exiting and leaving the video corrupted (top bar remains).

MS pointed out some time ago that SD cards are the #1 problem for mobile devices that use them for storage due to their inconsistant quality and performance.....even cards in the same family are wildly inconsistant. HD 2 for example was very sensitive to SD card speed and quality. Crappy cards often caused the device to lag or lock up completely..

The Nokia lumia 800 is sold out in numerous countries over here in Europe right now. In the UK one of the largest mobile operators just ran out of stock. The lumia 800 was the best selling phone in the UK and. Netherlands during the month of December. I think people are really starting to like wp7

The Nokia lumia 800 is sold out in numerous countries over here in Europe right now. In the UK one of the largest mobile operators just ran out of stock. The lumia 800 was the best selling phone in the UK and. Netherlands during the month of December. I think people are really starting to like wp7

Microsoft did decide to concentrate on the global market and didn't even have a CDMA phone until the NoDa update.

argument is full of fail. running ancient win mobile 6.5 here and I rarely have to reboot my device and when I do, it is usually becuase of Opera Mobile 10 not properly exiting and leaving the video corrupted (top bar remains).

MS pointed out some time ago that SD cards are the #1 problem for mobile devices that use them for storage due to their inconsistant quality and performance.....even cards in the same family are wildly inconsistant. HD 2 for example was very sensitive to SD card speed and quality. Crappy cards often caused the device to lag or lock up completely..

Uhhh.. did you quote me by mistake?

The problem with WP7 is the customization. Every device looks just like very other device. You get 10 colors to choose from for your background and squares on your 'homepage'. There is no differentiation upon WP7 devices, they are all the same.

That's what I love about Android. I can customize my device 100 ways from Sunday to make it look and act how I want. Just like Windows on the desktop. My desktop is totally different from everyone I know and works for me.

This is why I will not use WP7. It's more locked down than iPhone.
As someone who has a right side taskbar...this.
(Vertical space is more precious than horizontal space at 1440x900 to me.)

Back