Votes: 87 36.0%
  • IOS

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Android

Votes: 166 68.6%
  • Meego

Votes: 10 4.1%

• Total voters
The Nokia lumia 800 is sold out in numerous countries over here in Europe right now. In the UK one of the largest mobile operators just ran out of stock. The lumia 800 was the best selling phone in the UK and. Netherlands during the month of December. I think people are really starting to like wp7

Another possibility is that retailers ordered a limited amount of stock expecting lukewarm sales like when WP7 first launched, and thus far despite being out of stock there aren't that many sales due to the limited number of units available. I won't deny that it appears to be by the most popular WP7 device by a wide margin though.

Unless Nokia announces some hard figures I'll go with the above assumption.

Some interesting information
happy.gif

[/IMG]http://s8.postimage.org/or421a22d/androidvswp7.png[/IMG]

At least 6 entries in the WP7 column are wrong. Didn't bother to fact check the other two columns.

Too bad there isn't a row for overall UI experience.

happy.gif

androidvswp7.png

This chart is pre-NoDa, even before Mango that came out this fall, the only thing that is not currently in Windows Phone that are on this list is removable storage.

Last edited:
This chart is pre-NoDa, even before Mango that came out this fall, the only things that are not currently in Windows Phone that are on this list are Twitter integration and removable storage.

Twitter integration is definitely in WP7.

happy.gif

androidvswp7.png

List is correct... a year ago. HTML5 support came in Mango, and copy/paste and some others were present in Nodo. However despite the Mango update, you still can do LESS on a WP7 than Apple's walled garden.

List is correct... a year ago. HTML5 support came in Mango, and copy/paste and some others were present in Nodo. However despite the Mango update, you still can do LESS on a WP7 than Apple's walled garden.

You hear people say that you can't do as much on Windows Phone and then you see lists like the above. Even saw a review from yesterday of Mango that didn't know about Skydrive integration and Pandora on Windows Phone. Yes there are few things that aren't on Windows Phone but I think that the tradeoff is simpler and more robust operation versus Android.

Well this doesn't look good at all:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/10/tech/mobile/nokia-windows-phone/index.html

MS/Nokia are going to "wage war" with one phone and it is only on AT&T (who had just announced 6 new Android phones)? I seriously think they are missing the point here. People have been waiting a long time for the MS/Nokia connection to get rolling, and all they have is still just a whimper of an announcement. Getting new phones on the 4 big carriers should have been a top priority.

Meanwhile HTC is coming out with a new Windows Phone and it is only on AT&T as well. I have a bad feeling the people in charge of MS phone division are going to blow it AGAIN.

Meanwhile HTC is coming out with a new Windows Phone and it is only on AT&T as well. I have a bad feeling the people in charge of MS phone division are going to blow it AGAIN.

Microsoft has better basic engineering and technology than Apple, but some of the most incompetent corporate culture + decision making and marketing in history.... they WILL blow it again...

Microsoft has better basic engineering and technology than Apple, but some of the most incompetent corporate culture + decision making and marketing in history.... they WILL blow it again...

Certainly looks to be trending that way. I was hoping for some big Nokia announcements at CES, especially regarding CDMA phones. While I use and develop for them, I am not the biggest Android fan around and hate the fragmentation and inconsistent UI. MS is shooting themselves in the foot by trying to make a big deal about an carrier exclusive for one phone...

Certainly looks to be trending that way. I was hoping for some big Nokia announcements at CES, especially regarding CDMA phones. While I use and develop for them, I am not the biggest Android fan around and hate the fragmentation and inconsistent UI. MS is shooting themselves in the foot by trying to make a big deal about an carrier exclusive for one phone...

Microsoft probably isn't the problem here, its the carriers. Verizon is heavily invested in Android but even more so LTE. Verizon said a few months ago it had pretty no interest in non-LTE Windows Phones and I imagine that since AT&T has been Microsoft's biggest carrier partner it had to give AT&T first crack at LTE Windows Phones but now that they are here I would expect that Verizon will get LTE Windows Phones this year.

Google has the most to lose here and I'd have to think they aren't making it easy for Microsoft. Both the 900 and the Titan II would probably sell pretty well on Verizon and and it would hit Google, not a lot but some.

Microsoft probably isn't the problem here, its the carriers. Verizon is heavily invested in Android but even more so LTE. Verizon said a few months ago it had pretty no interest in non-LTE Windows Phones and I imagine that since AT&T has been Microsoft's biggest carrier partner it had to give AT&T first crack at LTE Windows Phones but now that they are here I would expect that Verizon will get LTE Windows Phones this year.

Google has the most to lose here and I'd have to think they aren't making it easy for Microsoft. Both the 900 and the Titan II would probably sell pretty well on Verizon and and it would hit Google, not a lot but some.

I think it then becomes MS/Nokia's responsibility to get the carriers phones they want to sell. It didn't take very long for Android to get up to speed with the various carriers, MS needs to duplicate that. WP7 was announced 2 years ago, should have been plenty of time to get things lined up... Frustrates the heck out of me because it simply isn't happening and I don't want to see WP7/WP8 get flushed like WebOS because it never had good market penetration.

Last edited:

It's because Verizon's LTE network is built on IPv6 and ATT's isn't. Mango does not have IPv6 support built in yet.

I think it then becomes MS/Nokia's responsibility to get the carriers phones they want to sell. It didn't take very long for Android to get up to speed with the various carriers, MS needs to duplicate that. WP7 was announced 2 years ago, should have been plenty of time to get things lined up... Frustrates the heck out of me because it simply isn't happening and I don't want to see WP7/WP8 get flushed like WebOS because it never had good market penetration.

But Windows Phone isn't like Android in that it's far more restrictive for both handset makers AND carriers. Every Windows Phone got the Mango update at almost the same time. Carriers could give two shits about updating phones beyond the iPhone, they'd rather you buy a new phone and reup the contract.

And Windows Phone isn't webOS. Microsoft has been in the smart phone business forever and they have the resources to keep plugging as long as it takes. And most importantly they've bet the company literally on Metro. At this point Microsoft almost can't back down from Windows Phone, it is their core UI.

It probably won't happen until 2013 at the earliest but Windows Phone and Windows are going to merge; Windows ARM is as much about phones as it is tablets. Throws x86 phones into the mix and at that point Windows Phone really does just become Windows. Either this strategy changes the game or Microsoft is in a LOT of trouble.

Fixed it.
- means third party app or with devunlock.

yZwe3.png

Fixed it.

http://i.imgur.com/yZwe3.png[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the lumia 900 just supports it flat out.

I definitely just dropped my Galaxy S2 for a Dell venue pro as my phone, messenger, and basic browser/email

My toy is still my S2, as it has way more gadgets and fun things and is a better browser, but for the things I want in a phone, holy shit I've been missing out.

I used to work for tmobile and got the hd7 when it first came out. Although I eventually went back to android I have to say I was/am impresses with wp7. Its a great looking ui that simply works. You cant do as much in wp7 compared to android but 99% of end users don't need to. I always reccomend wp7 phones to people who want a great alternative to the iphone.

Android is just to buggy sometimes. All the force closes makes me want to rage quit.

My toy is still my S2, as it has way more gadgets and fun things and is a better browser, but for the things I want in a phone, holy shit I've been missing out.

Windows Phone is about being a smart phone, not a small computer. I think web browsing is very good on Windows Phone. I played with a Titan for about 30 minutes last month, that's about the best web browsing experience I've ever had on a phone but it was that large and beautiful screen that was the key. not to mention the thing is incredibly fast. People make lot to do with Windows Phone not running on dual core but those 1.5 GHz Snapdragons are pretty darn fast for single core CPUs and IE has every good GPU acceleration.

Windows Phone is about being a smart phone, not a small computer. I think web browsing is very good on Windows Phone. I played with a Titan for about 30 minutes last month, that's about the best web browsing experience I've ever had on a phone but it was that large and beautiful screen that was the key. not to mention the thing is incredibly fast. People make lot to do with Windows Phone not running on dual core but those 1.5 GHz Snapdragons are pretty darn fast for single core CPUs and IE has every good GPU acceleration.

You hit the nail right on the head

The 800x480 res kills the browsing experience. I'll take 1280x720 for 1$ Alex. No more pinching and zooming.

Fixed it.

http://i.imgur.com/yZwe3.png

Neither WP7 nor iOS supports multitasking. When Apple claims iOS has multitasking it is pretty much a flat out lie. WP7 has something slightly closer to multitasking than iOS, but neither actually supports it.

How much that matters is an entirely different discussion, I'm just saying that at a technical level neither one supports 3rd party multitasking.

Nokia Lumia 800 with PC remote FTW :)

Never a slowdown, regardless how many apps I open, this baby just flies through everything.

Unlike ALL other phones I've owned I've yet to experience a lock-up with this device (purchased it on Nov 16th 2011).

XBOX companion is ferociously handy aswell :)

Last edited:
Nokia Lumia 800 with PC remote FTW :)

Never a slowdown, regardless how many apps I open, this baby just flies through everything.

Unlike ALL other phones I've owned I've yet to experience a lock-up with this device (purchased it on Now 16th 2011).

XBOX companion is ferociously handy aswell :)

Is there an option of installing Google Maps, Google Latitude that can be used for GPS navigation purpose and sharing location along with VOICE gided navigation? Google Maps are more updated than OVI maps provided by nokia

Neither WP7 nor iOS supports multitasking. When Apple claims iOS has multitasking it is pretty much a flat out lie. WP7 has something slightly closer to multitasking than iOS, but neither actually supports it.

How much that matters is an entirely different discussion, I'm just saying that at a technical level neither one supports 3rd party multitasking.

You really have no idea about this do ya? Stop spreading misinformation, it gets old.

You really have no idea about this do ya? Stop spreading misinformation, it gets old.

What is he wrong about? WP7 and IOS do not have traditional multitasking like Android does. Deflating or pausing apps in the background isn't multitasking.

What is he wrong about? WP7 and IOS do not have traditional multitasking like Android does. Deflating or pausing apps in the background isn't multitasking.
It sure is a smarter way to do it as our mainstream battery technology hasn't gotten to the level where we can do true multitasking well. When we get a battery that lasts for weeks... then let's talk about this again.

Apps run in the background on WP7 there is also a setting to allow all apps to run under screen-lock.

It sure is a smarter way to do it as our mainstream battery technology hasn't gotten to the level where we can do true multitasking well. When we get a battery that lasts for weeks... then let's talk about this again.

you are going to have one very long wait. more apps running at the same time = more juice consumed and given the size constraint it is going to be a long long long wait.....

Can we go back to raging over Verizon's disinterest in Windows Phone? Soooo frustrating; I need a support group. My contract was up 9 months ago, but I've held off upgrading from this dumbphone with the hope that Microsoft would get something like the Lumia 900 around now. Nope...

Apps run in the background on WP7 there is also a setting to allow all apps to run under screen-lock.

Not according to Microsoft they don't

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817008(v=VS.92).aspx
When the user navigates forward, away from an application, after the Deactivated event is raised, the operating system will attempt to put the application into a dormant state. In this state, all of the application’s threads are stopped and no processing takes place, but the application remains intact in memory.

I do know what I'm talking about. Please link to technical documentation that disagrees with me.

If you care to read about it, here is Apple's documentation on the matter: http://developer.apple.com/library/...cationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html

Microsoft's I linked to above.

Eh, not really. Android has a different approach to solving the battery drain from badly written apps through very, very aggressive full system suspends (this is that whole "wake lock" kernel thing). If this was actually a major problem for batteries iOS and WP7 would get significantly longer battery life than Android on similar hardware, but they don't. They do both get a bit better battery life (at least iOS does, not all that familiar with WP7's battery life), but that isn't necessarily due entirely to multitasking or not, and it's hard to draw too many conclusions given that they all have different hardware, which does matter quite a bit.

Not according to Microsoft they don't

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817008(v=VS.92).aspx

I do know what I'm talking about. Please link to technical documentation that disagrees with me.

If you care to read about it, here is Apple's documentation on the matter: http://developer.apple.com/library/...cationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html

Microsoft's I linked to above.

You left out some important details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202866(v=VS.92).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202942(v=vs.92).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202978(v=vs.92).aspx

Yes apps can run in the background but they can't run forever and run on a schedule with the exception of audio and there are lots of restrictions on what they can do in the background. It's not all that different from iOS in many respects.

Eh, not really. Android has a different approach to solving the battery drain from badly written apps through very, very aggressive full system suspends (this is that whole "wake lock" kernel thing). If this was actually a major problem for batteries iOS and WP7 would get significantly longer battery life than Android on similar hardware, but they don't. They do both get a bit better battery life (at least iOS does, not all that familiar with WP7's battery life), but that isn't necessarily due entirely to multitasking or not, and it's hard to draw too many conclusions given that they all have different hardware, which does matter quite a bit.

Run away and misbehaving apps kill battery life, period. Sure, if an Android device is behaving well battery life isn't that different but there's just more opportunity for Android apps to run wild. There's just more restrictions on what background apps can do on iOS and Windows Phone.

Last edited:
You left out some important details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202866(v=VS.92).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202942(v=vs.92).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202978(v=vs.92).aspx

Yes apps can run in the background but they can't run forever and run on a schedule with the exception of audio and there are lots of restrictions on what they can do in the background. It's not all that different from iOS in many respects.

Ah, thanks. I was trying to find that. I couldn't believe that WP7 had an even more limited implementation than iOS.

Run away and misbehaving apps kill battery life, period.

No, not quite. Android has kernel level protections against that, actually. That is one of the major differences between Android's kernel and upstream Linux kernel. If you write an app that fires up a while(true) thread, it will actually only run when the screen is on. When you turn off the screen and nothing has a wakelock (requires a permission to get), the kernel force suspends *everything*. Doesn't matter if a thread was running or not, it gets suspended (just like closing the lid on your laptop, actually)

Now yes, a particularly bad application can grab a wakelock and then spin loop your device to death, but that more or less requires malicious intent and is not going to happen with even a particularly bad developer. Although if that is your goal you could do the same on iOS and WP7, as well. Pretend you are doing music streaming or something and just play nothing but silent music. You've just prevented the device from sleeping and will quickly kill the battery. Heck, do it from a remote server and really maximize battery drain by keeping the cell radio active.

Back