Windows 95. Seriously

I almost skipped xp, ran Windows ME until 2005, worked great on my slot A Athlon 950
i have never used windows ME, it seamed the people around me whent
and then XP for like 15 years

I want to eventualy have them all

People mustve been some desperate to update to xp. whoever owned this PC updated from NT to xp, i bet they were some pissed when it ran like complete shit AND impossible to roll back to NTView attachment 233286
I once had to work on a Dell 1.5 P4 with 256 MB ram with integrated graphics on a 5400 hard drive. It ran XP so slow and badly I had to put more memory in it just to be able to get anything done on it.

I once had to work on a Dell 1.5 P4 with 256 MB ram with integrated graphics on a 5400 hard drive. It ran XP so slow and badly I had to put more memory in it just to be able to get anything done on it.
Hahaha they thaught they realy had something

It ended up the hard drive had something wrong with it too along with the usual viruses and spyware. I had no idea how they even used the computer as it was so slow. I ended up telling them just to buy a new computer, nothing worth salvaging in it.

Reactions: Jpat
like this
It ended up the hard drive had something wrong with it too along with the usual viruses and spyware. I had no idea how they even used the computer as it was so slow. I ended up telling them just to buy a new computer, nothing worth salvaging in it.
Haha i can imagine you working over the PC and a 15 year old praying you dont tell them where all the viruses and spyware came from

As creepy as it sounds i love finding used computers and going through it like an fbi agent 🤣

Small update, i ordered a windows 98 bootdisk from ebay,
that sounds sketchy af. i wouldnt trust it. i would have asked someone here near you to make and mail one for cost. do you not have a working computer with a floppy drive, that old xp one?

that sounds sketchy af. i wouldnt trust it. i would have asked someone here near you to make and mail one for cost. do you not have a working computer with a floppy drive, that old xp one?
There realy isnt any retro communitity near me, and an XP boot disk wont work

A modern boot disk would be sketchy but no one would realy have a motive to attack ancient computers, i wouldnt think
The ebay reviews were all very possitive

There realy isnt any retro communitity near me, and an XP boot disk wont work

A modern boot disk would be sketchy but no one would realy have a motive to attack ancient computers, i wouldnt think
The ebay reviews were all very possitive
youre in canada, if i had a floppy drive id send you one, no charge. but i dont.
does your xp machine have a floppy drive, yes/no? if it does, the majorgeeks link will probably work ok to download the 98 boot disk. then put a new floppy into the drive, double click the 98se file and in a couple minutes you will have a 98se boot floppy.
people are d-bags. maybe, just seems odd to me.

like this
youre in canada, if i had a floppy drive id send you one, no charge. but i dont.
does your xp machine have a floppy drive, yes/no? if it does, the majorgeeks link will probably work ok to download the 98 boot disk. then put a new floppy into the drive, double click the 98se file and in a couple minutes you will have a 98se boot floppy.
people are d-bags. maybe, just seems odd to me.
i took out my network cards because XP was so vulnerable after windows quit supporting it, and i dont have to update my steam accound anymore because without the internet it thinks its 2016 infinitly. Seams normal in my own head

i might get my xp laptop out and try it

iam popping in a network card on a parts computer rn and trying it

Browsing the world wide web with 384mb of ram, what a day!
20200327_211937.jpg

wont open winworld 😪 ill cram a gig if ram in and see if it helps

Download a boot disk image and some kind of image writing utility with another connected system, save them to a cdr/flash drive/ whatever/. Pop the cdr/flash drive /whatever into the XP computer.

Download a boot disk image and some kind of image writing utility with another connected system, save them to a cdr/flash drive/ whatever/. Pop the cdr/flash drive /whatever into the XP computer.
i dont have a modern PC

i download from windworld, tranfer to sd then to XP and its some .img file, not sure if its correct but iam trying it

onces the files pass through my android they are useless for my pc

i found a windows 7 laptop i forgot about. the fight continues

Reactions: travm
like this
i download from windworld, tranfer to sd then to XP and its some .img file, not sure if its correct but iam trying it
.img is a disc image that windows 7/8/10 can open. on xp you'd need a virtual disk program to open it. glad you got it going with the other file though.

like this
Different letter if you have more than just floppy and cd rom

like this
What does the the screen say rigth after it's booted? (I'm assuming you selected "Start computer with CD-ROM support")

like this
if someone was willing to install windows 95 on a micro SD card or a hard drive ide love to buy it

at the a:\ prompt type d:\ hit enter if it changes type dir and hit enter. is it the cd? if not type e:\ etc. its only going to be one of the first few letters after c:\.

like this
it just seys there is is no d:, or e: or any of them

another source seys i can copy the driver from my good win95 into a bootdisk, now all the floppys i have at home are suffering data rot amd dieing

guess ill order a box of floppys too since ill need them

i modded the boot disk and it still doesnt work

its beyond time to pack up and wait the week or so for the original win98 bootdisk

Unless you know someone who is willing to sell me an sd card with win95 on it, or a harddrive

an ebay seller is selling HDs with preinstalled win95 but they are 200$+

i could buy an unopened copy floppy windows 3.1 but with so much data rot just 1 disk could be so cocked up the whole thing doesnt work

I got mad and remade 3 win98 boot disks, third one let me access the disk drive 😃

Thank you all so so much for the support through this poisonous trial of patience and sanity

Now it has no sound, wont recognize the soundblaster pro onboard sound card OR my soundblaster pro i installed

Someone come put me down

Now it has no sound, wont recognize the soundblaster pro onboard sound card OR my soundblaster pro i installed

Someone come put me down
thats normal, 95 has next to nothing for built in drivers. you have to go hunting for drivers now.

Back