Windows 8 Video Preview

ok, windows 8 really does look freaking incredible for tablets.... and who knows, smartphones?

i really like it, and all ive done over the past few years is lament MS's lack of direction and creativity....

The minority reasoning in a majority of flying off the handle/assumption.

Thank fuck for that. Seriously. That new ADD pecker interface is fine for tablets, but not desktops. Maybe if they were intelligent enough to pair kinect with it for desktop, but that wouldn't happen as they're too precious about the xbox being its own thing. :rolleyes:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/

I've seen some pretty amazing stuff with Kinect on a desktop from just a medical aspect.

And no sane person uses a touchscreen desktop, you'd look and feel like a muppet keeping your arms raised and pointing at the screen all day.
You mean like in a Point of Sale system where removing a physical keyboard, yet still having access to an underlying OS could be useful? Yep, no 'sane' person would ever use that.

I can not stand Windows Phone 7's interface. Those 'Tiles' are way too in my face. I understand the idea of having access to information quickly like weather, but I like widgets much better, and I love Appel's Dashboard on the desktop front. I don't understand the need for in your face 'Tiles' when there seems to be a more elegant and minimalist soultuon out there.

hope they do a launch party pack again. Interface is responsive... idk.. kind of have mixed feelings about Windows 8; might wait for 9. Too early to really know.

They should have called this video "Useless crap that gives me reasons I will not want to upgrade to Windows 8"

The *OS* will run on tablets, laptops and desktops, the touch UI with tiles and so on is for tablets (and laptops/desktops with touch enabled), I would think. The Desktop UI (without a touch screen) will probably resemble Windows 7, but we don't know for sure. And I'm sure there will be many more features besides this, people really need to think before they post I swear..
Agreed. I don't think Microsoft would be stupid enough to make a touchscreen interface for a desktop.

I like this alot. There will be multiple UI's. It will be easy to run it in the traditional Windows manner. I am glad they are doing this. One core OS, multiple UI's to interact.

so.. our pc's become even more shitty than macintoshes. i dont want all that stupid tile crap. i want basically windows 7, with more 3d interface integration, desktop 3d apps, not this boring *slide across the screen* tile garbage. i dont want my pc acting like an iphone.. i like icons, and start buttons. was the best thing windows gave us, was the start button. i dont want to have to switch to a linux based os because microsoft screws its os over so bad i dont recognize my computer anymore.

I'm confused how this will play out on a desktop

this is for tablets, not a desktop pc.. notice the whole on screen keyboard? with a "thumb" setting? then he goes to say this is what will be on tablets, and laptops, and DESKTOPS!! i dont think so.

I'll just pick you you two even though more of you seen to be unable to grasp the basic concept of you use a real damn keyboard on your desktop that is how you use it. i have a touch screen on my laptop. It has an onscreen keyboard but i don't use it as i have a keyboard on my laptop that i find much easier to use. Same for windows 8, if you have a keyboard attached to your device you use the real one, if you don't have a keyboard then you use the touch screen one. It isnt' that hard to grasp.

i just like where i read that windows 8 should perform about %30 faster on netbooks, win7 was pretty fast.

Win7 is going to be hard to beat, but they can try!

I dont have any "apps" on my computer, just PROGRAMS!

So they've decided to add exactly 0 features... Even ME added more useful features than whatever this is supposed to be.

Seriously couldn't they just release windows 7 "touch edition". This has nothing new, just screwing up of other things and adding junk that looks totally useless apart from the 3 people using a touch screen.

I hate the word "apps" it makes me want to punch people in the liver, really really hard.

So they've decided to add exactly 0 features... Even ME added more useful features than whatever this is supposed to be.

Seriously couldn't they just release windows 7 "touch edition". This has nothing new, just screwing up of other things and adding junk that looks totally useless apart from the 3 people using a touch screen.

I hate the word "apps" it makes me want to punch people in the liver, really really hard.

How do you know what features have or haven't been added...

I dont have any "apps" on my computer, just PROGRAMS!

I remember I and others were calling programs and applications, "apps", when Win3 was shipping on $4k, 486 computers. It is hardly some new term.

With Window 7 being pretty dam good, perhaps MS is now trying to shift their OS to be more mobile /tablet friendly, with Apple possibly thinking about moving iOS to computers since everything else they own uses that, why not?

Would make sense for MS to shift this next OS to be more friendly now, this way future OS will be far more compatible between platforms no?

touch screen is nice, but my arm would get dam tired all the time being moved around, am i one of few who thinks the mouse still works dam well?

Unless you can track my eyes...

so.. our pc's become even more shitty than macintoshes. i dont want all that stupid tile crap. i want basically windows 7, with more 3d interface integration, desktop 3d apps, not this boring *slide across the screen* tile garbage. i dont want my pc acting like an iphone.. i like icons, and start buttons. was the best thing windows gave us, was the start button. i dont want to have to switch to a linux based os because microsoft screws its os over so bad i dont recognize my computer anymore.
I've seen some pretty hard raging in my time, but this one is right up there.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/kinectsdk/

I've seen some pretty amazing stuff with Kinect on a desktop from just a medical aspect.

You mean like in a Point of Sale system where removing a physical keyboard, yet still having access to an underlying OS could be useful? Yep, no 'sane' person would ever use that.

Yep, that sdk means that 3rd party develops it, not that it's got windows 8 native support.

POS is not desktop. When you do do something that is just not sales, out comes the keyboard / mouse. So no, I don't mean POS at all. I mean consumer desktops that have touch screens. You know, something stupid like HP does.

This is the Win8 interface, not just the tablet interface, this is the new desktop.

Booo! As I said earlier, yay! they made my computer a phone!@@!!@!!

Seriously, who is it supposed to appeal to? It's not like we've had years of practice at using the current desktop. :rolleyes: It's the next evolution of making shit harder to find and do. It's bad enough that that's how websites are becoming as the norm, more clicks required to get to the same old thing because it's apparently cool to "navigate" to stuff. I want to use things, not go on treasure hunts.

Seriously, who is it supposed to appeal to? It's not like we've had years of practice at using the current desktop. It's the next evolution of making shit harder to find and do.
They said the same thing about Windows 95, and about GUI word processors instead of WordPerfect 5.0 for DOS, and about...... you get the point.

What a joke of a UI. This would never work for a desktop. Or at least for a person that needs to do actual work. You have a bunch of program tiles spread out everywhere and you're supposed to swipe around to get to them? It looks so cluttered and unnecessary. Cool navigation animation gets old real fast. Especially if you have to swipe around 8 panes of tiles to get to the program you want to start.

Bravo MS. Finally a step in the right direction. Keeping things trendy is important these days, and Apple has capitalized on that. Honestly though, I'm not going to bother with the fancy new UI unless I'm using a tablet, but I can't see them entirely ridding the OS of a standard format of which PC users are used to. I can still revert my UI to classic Windows from 2000, even in 2011. Historically MS has avoided completely changing the file system, so why is everybody expecting a tablet UI for their rigs with no options to customize a familiar interface? You new or something?

Seriously, who is it supposed to appeal to?
I expect that typical consumers will go for this sort of thing. Not power users or productivity-focused users, but your average "I want to check my email and surf the web" user can appreciate these types of interfaces. They're more task-focused than a desktop with some icons and so forth.

It's bad enough that that's how websites are becoming as the norm, more clicks required to get to the same old thing because it's apparently cool to "navigate" to stuff.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Yawn Indeed! I don't see anyone using this on a corporate level. Keep the UI touch stuff for the tablets and phones. I think i'll keep windows 7 until the next OS after this one comes out.

Sheesh I can't believe people are bitching. This is great and we getting the best of both world. Can wait to get rid of my POS iPad and have this OS running on a tablet. If I get bored with this interface on my desktop I can still switch back to normal mode.

Desktops are not tablets, tablets are not smartphones. Please developers stop trying to make one OS for all of them. That interface looks like it would be great for a tablet, but I think it will suck for a desktop.

My thoughts exactly. I think all the "windows 8 apps" are built around the touch interface made for tablets. The legacy programs seem to be normal. I hope the touch interface is optional in windows 8 apps. I can't imagine running microsoft office that way on a desktop.

I love this. I can't say it enough.

Microsoft is finally following through on their vision of the future. Anyone surprised by this should watch this....

mms://msnvidweb.wmod.msecnd.net/a10026/e1/ds/us/CMG_US/CMG_Microsoft/2725CF90-BD38-4127-9035-E8C7264EAC72.wmv

MetroUI is the first step in this new direction for microsoft products. It's fluid, it's brilliant and it makes me feel like im living in the 21st century finally.

Thankyou, i take pride in my raging :) it pisses me off, they expect us to buy windows we already basically own, with features that no desktop user would want.. make this crap "windows 8 tablet edition" and dont stuff it down the throats of the rest of us.

*sigh* just more OS BLOAT. MS would be doign the rest of us a favor, if they made this completely UNINSTALLABLE for those of us who actually know how to work on our computers.

so.. our pc's become even more shitty than macintoshes. i dont want all that stupid tile crap. i want basically windows 7,.

Hi, Windows 7 Professional will be supported until Jan 14, 2020. It is a good release and will be useful for many years.

Cheers

MetroUI is the first step in this new direction for microsoft products. It's fluid, it's brilliant and it makes me feel like im living in the 21st century finally.

This isn't "the future" this is a load of crap lumped on to current technology to make it less usable :p That video showed nothing like what was shown in this demonstration, just some more of the latest fad junk. Technology improves with well...technology...not just some POS UI lumped onto old tech for a minorities benifit.

Sh*t just got more real!
Qualcomm announces dual- and quad-core Snapdragon processor support for Windows 8
http://www.nectaly.com/2011/06/02/q...re-snapdragon-processor-support-for-windows-8

Looks like Windows 8 cover all their bases. Desktops, Laptops(netbook), Phones, Slates(tablets)

I'm freaking very happy with my Windows 7 right now but I can't freaking wait until Windows 8.

Will be interesting to see the new snapdragon in action. I was thoroughly impressed when they came out with the series and am anxious to see if they can keep building performance.

Back