Windows 8 Video Preview

So what laptop do you have? I pretty much agree on the finger prints, you really don't see them but yeah, they really do show up on a black screen, nothing a microfiber cloth can't cure. I do find however that I don't like having a totally fingerprint free surface the fingerprints help reduce friction. Yeah, I know that sounds gross to people but hey, they're there on your keyboard, mouse and trackpads as well, just hidden and MUCH harder to clean.

I have a dell Studio 17.

You guys nerd raging are teh funnies.

Who really thinks this will be the only version of windows 8 to ship? Who thinks that a windows 7 style desktop won't be available and all that you can have is the one in the video?

Anyone with their hand up go sit in the corner.

Me thinks Mac fans are jealous, and know this is better than what they are using right now. Nothing revolutionary in their hands compared to that video :D

Who really thinks this will be the only version of windows 8 to ship? Who thinks that a windows 7 style desktop won't be available and all that you can have is the one in the video?

Tiles are THE UI for Windows 8. For Tablets/Laptops/desktops, this is the Win8 UI. The desktop wont really be an alternative, except for running legacy apps. Look at the vids, the way they run legacy apps is more like running a VM. It is totally separate self contained environment.

Me thinks Mac fans are jealous, and know this is better than what they are using right now. Nothing revolutionary in their hands compared to that video :D

Sure, anyone who doesn't like Tiles is a Mac fan? :rolleyes: Maybe a quick check of sigs would clue you in that most people who don't tiles for a desktop are Windows users like me. People care about changes that affect them. I don't complain or care about changes in OSX because I don't use it. I imaging most real Mac fans don't really care what Windows does either.

Windows 8 is essentially to UIs in one, the Tiles and the Desktop, neither is optional and the desktop isn't really legacy, applications will continue to be developed for the desktop. There's been a LOT of questions about HTML 5 and JavaScript and if those are the ONLY way to write applications for the Tiles UI and at this point Microsoft is TOTALLY being mum about that. I can't imagine that HTML 5/JS are the development platform as that doesn't make much sense from any perspective but at this point there is no solid word from Microsoft of this.

But no matter what UI an application uses it is the same base OS underneath and simply different processes running in it, this is a UI boundary, nothing more or less. Title apps and Desktops apss still have access to the same OS resources besides the UI, files, memory, etc and can interoperate between each other, they aren't sandboxed as with mobile OSes.

Applications will probably have the ability to present a different UI based on whether they are running in titles or the desktop. I'm thinking about IE 10 which will be supported in Windows 7. Unless there are different versions of IE 10 which might be the case it would seem that IE 10 in Windows 7 won't present the touch UI since Windows 7 won't have the tile UI

Also keep in mind that we've not seen all there is to the desktop, it's not just going to stay static at Windows 7 and it too will received enhancements for touch as well from what I'm gathering and will support the same touch API as the Titles. There's also supposed to be enhancements to digital ink as well.

At any rate a lot more questions than answers at this point, the Tiles UI is obviously the biggest change in all of this and I think Microsoft wanted to just show it off and gage response and not commit to ANYTHING specific beyond the little they said, and most of that was around HTML 5 in Tile UI. We really won’t have many solid answers until the Build Conference starting September 13th, though I’m sure we’ll get trickles and maybe even leaked builds.

The only thing that I can say for certain is that this is very different from anything I’ve seen before, it’s the radical thing Microsoft has EVER done. I have no idea if this will be successful, it’s certainly technically sophisticated, the complexity is incredible. Is it enough to challenge Apple and Google in the tablet space and retain desktop/laptop dominance? I have no idea, but making HTML 5 a first class development platform on the Tile surface, yeah, that’s going to get traction with a lot of developers. What you have to do to integrate HTML 5 into the Tiles is a HUGE question; obviously HTML 5/JS don’t have support for things like tiles, sensors and touch built in. Also, what about .Net? NOTHING was said of Microsoft’s current development platform which has a HUGE following especially in the business and hobbyist developer communities and I’d say the bulk of them would have a lot of problems if they can’t develop Tile programs with .Net/Silverlight/WPF. Frankly it would be insane for Microsoft to abandon their .Net developers, perhaps their most loyal and important customers.

May we live in interesting times.

Tiles are THE UI for Windows 8. For Tablets/Laptops/desktops, this is the Win8 UI. The desktop wont really be an alternative, except for running legacy apps. Look at the vids, the way they run legacy apps is more like running a VM. It is totally separate self contained environment.

Sure, anyone who doesn't like Tiles is a Mac fan? :rolleyes: Maybe a quick check of sigs would clue you in that most people who don't tiles for a desktop are Windows users like me. People care about changes that affect them. I don't complain or care about changes in OSX because I don't use it. I imaging most real Mac fans don't really care what Windows does either.

You are really brain damaged if you think this is the only version of windows 8 ms will ship, and that you will be required to use these tiles that were made for touch.

I can see corporate using that interface about like I see them using macs.

Why are operating systems becoming more like cell phones? new ones coming out what seems like every few months

Whats wrong with Windows 7 that warrants Windows 8?

You are really brain damaged if you think this is the only version of windows 8 ms will ship, and that you will be required to use these tiles that were made for touch.

Sure, insult when you fail to comprehend:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2011/jun11/06-01corporatenews.aspx
And this isn’t just about touch PCs. The new Windows experience will ultimately be powered by application and device developers around the world — one experience across a tremendous variety of PCs. The user interface and new apps will work with or without a keyboard and mouse on a broad range of screen sizes and pixel densities, from small slates to laptops, desktops, all-in-ones, and even classroom-sized displays. Hundreds of millions of PCs will run the new Windows 8 user interface.

What you fail to understand is that you won't use that FOR EVERYTHING. That is meant to replace the start menu. And to some degree it makes sense for the normal everyday user that logs in and has a dozen programs start up all over the screen, weather apps running in the taskbar and then a gadget one running on the desktop... Now you log in and are presented with a screen that shows you some of that stuff. You see the weather right next to how many emails you have, next to how many friends are online. But like Heatlesssun pointed out Tiles only work with HTML and javascript. I dont see every single program from here on being able to move solely to that.

Also if you noticed in the videos they have done some work to the desktop and explorer. They are making changes there other than just slapping on this start screen and forcing that to completely replace your desktop. You could log in, click on desktop and use your computer just as you do now if you prefer. Or if you wish you use this as a replacement for pinning program to your task bar and start menu. Have a nice screen where not only will you see the pinned programs but see some info from them without having to flip between then and be done.

Bacon: Any differences in Windows 8 verisons are likely to be x86 vs Arm and Pro vs home. The touch UI will be the default UI for all versions of Windows 8. Given that systems with lower resolution screens will default to the Win 7 style desktop, I would imagine that people should be able to chose to default to the same desktop if they chose.

But, fundimentally, there isn't going to be a Tablet version and a desktop version. There will just be Windows 8.

Vasta: There is nothing wrong with Windows 7, but MS was highly criticized for taking so long to release anything after XP. The usual development cycle for new Operating systems, even windows, has always been fast, with the exception of XP to Vista. MS actually has a 2 to 3 year average between releases, while Ubuntu has had 14 releases since Oct 2004 and Apple 7 Since 2001 And both have new versions due this Fall. MS has only had 3 releases since 2001.

Phone and Tablet OS's seem to come every few months because, so far, they have been limited to Apple and Android both which have very frequent update cycles. though, this is much less of an issue as they are typically free.

As for becoming more like Cell Phones. MS feels that Tablets and Phones are becoming more and more competitors to the traditional computing devices like desktops and laptops. In many cases they are right. So, they are working towards a Unified platform for all types of devices.

Google is doing the same thing Except they are more pushing total cloud computing. I think you will find they will put less and less emphasis on local apps in the future and more on Web Apps running locally and online.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple move OSX and iOS closer and closer.

It's clear that Tablet's and touch capable computers are the future of computing. At least a very important part of computing. MS needs to address this now or be left behind. MS has already been criticized for missing the phone market and the Tablet market. But in reality, the entire computing market is changing and now is the time to do something about it.

So no pro business or anything of that sort? MS will forsake the entire reason they are a household name, corporate?

Seriously? WTF?

I comprehend fine also, switching to a= desktop that looks similar to windows 7 will be as hard as switching the task bar when full was.

Meh, I am sure you will be able to disable it once the OS is released. All it takes is 1 checkbox, and probably 2 lines of code to bypass it.

I hate to break it to you guys hating things being called apps, but software developers have been calling programs applications or apps forever. It's nothing new.

I don't think a lot of people are getting it. The new Windows UI isn't a suggestion or option, it is the future of Windows. While the traditional desktop UI isn't going away in our lifetime and plenty of applications will still be developed for it the Windows desktop as we know it today will become a legacy.

The new UI is intended to work across multiple screen sizes and input methods and allow applications to have much richer UIs. In some ways it is like having a phone UI with one important exception, most applications should work equally well with mouse and keyboard or touch and even pen.

It is the most radical redesign of a major OS UI ever and the most radical thing Microsoft has ever attempted. This product is a game changer. No that's not the talk of a Microsoft fanboy, it's just a statement of the nature of this change.

Windows programs from a UI perspective in the new Windows UI are no longer free floating bordered window entities. They are inherently full screen, are inherently touch screen and keyboard and mouse capable and can be developed using exactly the same tools used to build client web applications with extension into the Windows API. In other words what a Windows program is from the UI perspective is COMPLETELY different.

Changing to entire UI metaphor for the mostly widely deployed OS ever is a game changer by default. Even if Windows 8 is a complete flop, which would be game changing in that a huge risk failed, the impact of this change effects practically everything in the world of Windows. A change this profound in the most commercially successful piece of software ever created can't be anything but game changing even if Windows 8 makes the maiden voyage of the Titanic look successful.

I don't think a lot of people are getting it. The new Windows UI isn't a suggestion or option, it is the future of Windows. While the traditional desktop UI isn't going away in our lifetime and plenty of applications will still be developed for it the Windows desktop as we know it today will become a legacy.

The new UI is intended to work across multiple screen sizes and input methods and allow applications to have much richer UIs. In some ways it is like having a phone UI with one important exception, most applications should work equally well with mouse and keyboard or touch and even pen.

It is the most radical redesign of a major OS UI ever and the most radical thing Microsoft has ever attempted. This product is a game changer. No that's not the talk of a Microsoft fanboy, it's just a statement of the nature of this change.

Windows programs from a UI perspective in the new Windows UI are no longer free floating bordered window entities. They are inherently full screen, are inherently touch screen and keyboard and mouse capable and can be developed using exactly the same tools used to build client web applications with extension into the Windows API. In other words what a Windows program is from the UI perspective is COMPLETELY different.

Changing to entire UI metaphor for the mostly widely deployed OS ever is a game changer by default. Even if Windows 8 is a complete flop, which would be game changing in that a huge risk failed, the impact of this change effects practically everything in the world of Windows. A change this profound in the most commercially successful piece of software ever created can't be anything but game changing even if Windows 8 makes the maiden voyage of the Titanic look successful.

I'm still not convinced that this is meant to be to be a full replacement for the desktop. Otherwise why would they have spent time redoing explorer also. I still think this is meant to subliment the "classic" desktop. I guess we will see. Your desktop is still there and i don't see everything behing HTML & javascript based. Can you imagine a html based compiler? all games being HTML based? You can "ignore" this by just going from this start screen (as they call it) to the desktop so in a way it is optional. Just not 100% as far as we know.

I'm still not convinced that this is meant to be to be a full replacement for the desktop. Otherwise why would they have spent time redoing explorer also. I still think this is meant to subliment the "classic" desktop. I guess we will see. Your desktop is still there and i don't see everything behing HTML & javascript based. Can you imagine a html based compiler? all games being HTML based? You can "ignore" this by just going from this start screen (as they call it) to the desktop so in a way it is optional. Just not 100% as far as we know.

There's been a LOT of talk over the HTML 5/JavaScript comments by Microsoft developers. HTML 5 and JavaScript will NOT be the only development tools in the new UI. leaks of Windows 8 have already pointed out .Net and the new Jupiter stuff, which is probably the next version or incarnation of Silverlight. There's NO WAY that Microsoft would build this new UI engine and only have HTML 5 and JavaScript as ways to code for it.

The HTML 5 thing is a hook to get a shitload of web developers to write for the new UI leveraging their existing skill sets, you aren't going to get these people to learn C#. And you're not going to get .Net developers used to the power and tooling of that environment to do HTML 5 and JavaScript on a Windows client.

But as to the new UI itself, clearly Microsoft has some wiggle room. Hell, they are basically trying to build the most sophisticated OS ever, they've got some flexibility in how Windows 8 is finally packaged but I think it's quite clear that Microsoft is trying to reinvent the desktop in order to outdo its competitors. How far they'll actually be able to get with this is a question WAY up in the air. It will be tough to get a veteran desktop user to accept this but its a fresh and totally different approach to desktop computing, it will have an oooh-aaah factor to it no doubt.

We shall see.

Back