Windows 8 Beta

Ok mine is burned to a disc. Oh and BTW you need a DL disc its like 4.8GB which is just over the single layer 4.7GB :-( to install or not to install that is the question..

Ok mine is burned to a disc. Oh and BTW you need a DL disc its like 4.8GB which is just over the single layer 4.7GB :-( to install or not to install that is the question..

Only for the full dev kit :p

Since I'm not jumping in this early, I just got the 64bit version, and will wait it out for the public beta (and not this "prebeta").

Otherwise, use an USB flash drive?

Thinking about throwing this on my netbook, since I don't really use it much.

Windows 8 tablets look sick. Bye bye, iPad.

So if I'm running an Eyefinity setup with 2 AMD cards, is this even supported on this release? Is there a native driver built in for current cards, or would you need to wait for AMD to release a Windows 8 preview driver?

Wait wait their is a slimmer version?

EDIT: Never mind dam it I didn't see that other version oh well...

So is it possible to ever close the Metro apps without using the task manager? I get that they go in a suspended state, and with 12gb of ram it doesn't really effect me, but why on earth can I not simply close a program? Also apparently it was their goal to make it really difficult to just shut down/reboot

No, they will be automatically collected by the process lifetime manager if some set of conditions is met. Don't ask me, I didn't make that decision. If this bugs you, file a bug (edit; realized that may not be possible if you don't have a connect account, since the "send feedback" link isn't in the M3 exit build).

Shutdown/restart is done from either a) the settings menu, b) the log out/lock screen, c) command prompt (shutdown /r for reboot, shutdown /s for shutdown)

Wait wait their is a slimmer version?

EDIT: Never mind dam it I didn't see that other version oh well...

Um, yeah.. The one's that don't have "with developer tools" in their name.
It tells you their size right there. 3.6GB for x64, 2.8GB for x86

So if I'm running an Eyefinity setup with 2 AMD cards, is this even supported on this release? Is there a native driver built in for current cards, or would you need to wait for AMD to release a Windows 8 preview driver?

You should be able to install drivers without issue. If you have a monitor connectivity problem, please upload a dxdiag and dispdiag.

USB stick... and they say that on the download page that you need a DL DVD :)

just in time for the cheap Acer Aspire One N270 Atom netbook arriving tomorrow that WAS going to get Windows 7 Ult. Now is getting Windows 8.

Now it's time to see how to get it on a Tegra 250 powered Acer Iconia A500 tablet :)

That's better. Even after disabling the immersive shell, I find it funny that:
- IE10 has Metro-style scroll bars, buttons, radio buttons, etc.
- Windows Error Reporting is still Metro-styled
- The open unknown file type box is Metro-styled
- Windows key + P is still Metro-styled
- The Lock screen is Metro-styled.
and probably many more.

Random interesting tidbits:
Disabling UAC still doesn't disable shields.
There's a new user group(?) called ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES.
There's a new advanced security dialog box.
No Flip 3D?

Last edited:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx :D

if simply dropping the files onto the USB thumbdrive doesn't work you can try this tool from MS

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

but it may or may not work for this, might need an updated tool

That's better. Even after disabling the immersive shell, I find it funny that:
- IE10 has Metro-style scroll bars, buttons, radio buttons, etc.
- Windows Error Reporting is still Metro-styled
- The open unknown file type box is Metro-styled
and probably many more.

Random interesting tidbits:
Disabling UAC still brings up the UAC prompt every now and then. The shields don't disappear either.
There's a new user group(?) called ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES.

Care to share how you got the start menu back?

Rename C:\windows\system32\shsxs.dll to something else, but it breaks a lot of other things. The task manager goes back to the old style, it takes a long time to start up, etc.

This thing is awesome on my laptop, but it needs a tablet to be fully appreciated.

I downloaded the 32-bit ISO for my Netbook. It just finished! I just need to backup a few things and do the install.

So do you need to make a bootable USB stick or just extract this file onto the USB and it will recognize it? I thought they are making it USB friendly?

Never mind, I will just make it bootable.

Last edited:
ok i tried it. And hate it. If you dislike w7 mobile phones you will probably dislike w8. If i wanted a mobile phone os i would have gotten a phone. I want an os for my computer looks like i will be on w7 for a very long time

I actually now like that the old start menu is gone. You can just start typing in the start screen and it searches, just like W7 search

ok i tried it. And hate it. If you dislike w7 mobile phones you will probably dislike w8. If i wanted a mobile phone os i would have gotten a phone. I want an os for my computer looks like i will be on w7 for a very long time

Man you seem to have given it a fair shot :rolleyes:

Just got the installer started. Looks like Windows 7's installer but it's TOUCH ENABLED running on my EP121. I had as mouse and keyboard hooked up to it as that's my normal process but it wasn't necessary.

This is a good sign.

So metro apps work on ARM and x86, and regular apps only work on x86?

Are there any apps that will only work on ARM? It really seems like an x86 tablet would be the way to go. All the apps you could run on ARM and maybe the ability to run some real applications or even games on there also.

Have you guys figured out how to reproduce the quick cold boot like they showed in that video?

Nevermind, just hit shutdown! Wow, this a quick boot. I'm on a regular HDD too. It's probably about 10 secs or less after POST that it boots in. VERY impressive.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but the split up onscreen keyboard has likely been patented by someone already.

Apple and Microsoft have extensive patent cross-licensing deals.. I don't think either one will be suing each other...Apple hasn't even tried to sue MS for using multitouch in Windows Phone, etc..

Not impressed. I don't have a tablet and have zero desire to touch my 26" monitor. For regular pc users, there's almost nothing new in Win 8. The new start menu with gigantic tiles has no new functionality. 'Traditional' apps run and look like in Win 7.

Metro apps look exactly like what they are - WP7 apps blown up to fullscreen, with tons of wasted space.

windows 8 seems to be pretty amazing i just hope it wont be to expensive :/

Seriously... this is a developer build. Not a general user complaining about the GUI build. That's reserved for later.

I'm going to repost what I posted at neowin:
I've been banging on IE10 Win Dev Preview (version of IE that comes with Win 8 dev pre):
html5test: 300 (1 point behind opera, and about 60 behind chrome 13)
sun spider: 184ms (pretty much the fastest browser at this test)
Good, HOWEVER, even better, x64 version can be set as default (in security, you have to enable it for the different zones, 4 in all) AND it has the new javascript JIT engine,
IE 10 x64 sun spider run #1: 195ms
IE 10 x64 sun spider run #2: 199ms
Adobe has a x64 beta of flash 11 which you'll probably want if you try IE10 x64 that you can find on their site, and lastpass x64 works as well.

Anyone try installing Firefox, VLC, CCleaner, video codec, drivers ect on it yet?

Back