Windows 8.1 update

Entilza

Limp Gawd
Ok so this morning I am looking for the Windows 8.1 update. I am searching the store, nothing,searching updates nothing... Then I check out the store again and I see this:

2ahupzb.png

Lol someone forgot to update the image... After so many months you'd think they'd be ready..

Currently updating my twin boys PC's & I didn't get the "Preview" image. I went back to 7 after the preview. I will wait till the 8.1 iso is released before I reinstall.

So is that the preview or the real deal?

Yeah I just looked I got the one without the preview button it's 3.6 gigs this time the preview was 2.7 gigs or something.

After a few minutes it was off the store then I saw it again with an updated image:

15i9gf9.png

ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade

Copy and paste that phrase into the browser of your choice^^

No idea why MS does not use Windows Update to distribute this just like they have for the past 15....YEARS.

Even their update process is fragmented now :rolleyes:

Almost done updating, many resets and progress % when restarting..

Just when you think it's almost done it resets and says "Setting up a few more things... %"

Keep checking the store it was on the left side...Might be where you are located?

The little windows logo on the left kind of shines when you hover over it, did the preview do that?

After I installed it was asking me to sign in with my username/password I forgot my info and it was quite hard to skip this.

Overall it's working, I had to go into Photos to get my pictures showing in the tiles, maybe because of the libraries being removed?

It felt strange when it was updating almost like it was reinstalling from scratch when I saw the "Hi" message but all my apps were still there afterwards :)

EDIT: Also my monitor calibration was off I had to redo that...

I just updated. Before, the bottom left corner brought me to the metro ui.
Now, the bottom left corner(aka the "start button") brings me to the metro ui.

What did that accomplish?

It gives you a ton of options if you right-click that button.

Nuked the stupid "Folders" icons that showed up unnecessarily whenever I opened Windows (err...File?) explorer with the registry edits.

Using Start8 so not really seeing many changes other than the silly "This PC" rather than the established term of "My Computer."

If I was an IT guy upgrading users from Windows 8, I'd be pulling my hair out. Setup was long and acted as if I was completely upgrading the OS...didn't feel like a Service Pack at all.

Nuked the stupid "Folders" icons that showed up unnecessarily whenever I opened Windows (err...File?) explorer with the registry edits.

If you collapse the folders group it seems to remember that setting so it's not in the way, you can still reopen it.

After I installed it was asking me to sign in with my username/password I forgot my info and it was quite hard to skip this.

So how did you get past that? I couldn't get past it so I shut off the computer. I don't want to use an online login. When I booted back up it began to restore the old version.

It shows us who's been paying attention over the last several months, and who hasn't.

Doing it's job perfectly.

So how did you get past that? I couldn't get past it so I shut off the computer. I don't want to use an online login. When I booted back up it began to restore the old version.

Wow it restored the old? brutal now you have to sit through this like 3 times lol...

Well I typed in my email address but the wrong password, so then it offered to skip, however it still didn't work there were some buttons at the bottom like try again or something then that somehow let me get by it, very annoying. You can get by it though..

I still can't understand why this "update" is so large that it's like a re-install of the O/S.

Wow it restored the old? brutal now you have to sit through this like 3 times lol...

Well I typed in my email address but the wrong password, so then it offered to skip, however it still didn't work there were some buttons at the bottom like try again or something then that somehow let me get by it, very annoying. You can get by it though..

I should have googled first before asking. A lot of info to skip this step out there.

Here is one link
http://www.infobyte.hr/blog/337/windows-8-1-preview-how-to-install-without-microsoft-account-skip-microsoft-account/

I disconnected the network cable during the first reboot and the prompt to login online never appeared when it got to that point.

Last edited:

put in some random crap, then click "use my old account" or whatever it said, and it should just skip it.

It's different now there's clearly a "skip" message there if you do enter the wrong password after entering an email. However like I said it was still difficult. I'm sure this will be further detailed soon. I didn't document the procedure was too happy to get it passed there.

Can this even be installed remotely, I have some office PC's I won't even consider doing remotely. It's a shame each now has to download... Maybe there will be a downloadable upgrade option soon?

If you collapse the folders group it seems to remember that setting so it's not in the way, you can still reopen it.
The fact that all of those redundant and unnecessary folders were polluting my navigation bar in every program is what bothered me the most. The reg edits removed them

We're not upgrading our VDI environment to 8.1 because there have been many reports about IE11 breaking compatibility / compatibility issues with websites... just like IE10. Wonderful!

Alright, I give up. Every time I go to the store, it just lists a "Spotlight" section first. Every time I search the store for Windows 8.1, nothing comes up. Every time I click the download link from the Microsoft website, it takes me to Windows store.... and nothing happens. No download, no link, nothing. What the eff?

Just finished the update on all three 8 PC's here at home and everything seems to have worked fine. Turned on the boot to desktop option and all is well. I just wish they allowed you to download a single copy of the update instead of each rig having to download the update from their slow servers separately. Testing out some games and apps now and haven't found any issues yet.

Alright, I give up. Every time I go to the store, it just lists a "Spotlight" section first. Every time I search the store for Windows 8.1, nothing comes up. Every time I click the download link from the Microsoft website, it takes me to Windows store.... and nothing happens. No download, no link, nothing. What the eff?

Same here. I wonder if they pulled it or it's a regional rollout?

Same here. I wonder if they pulled it or it's a regional rollout?

I don't think they pulled it, and while it could be regional, I'm in Southern California and have to believe we'd be among the first to get it. No idea what's going on, and the App Store's limited interface means I can't pry into it and figure out why its not working.

It looks like the "desktop" version of SkyDrive is gone for good, at least for me.

How do you set it to boot to desktop?

My desktop displays the build number in the bottom right and says "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" (I have it disabled in the BIOS) and there is not a single f'ing instruction on how to set it up or clear the error. Nothing pisses me off more than error messages with zero indication of what to do. Typical MS-BS.

Otherwise it is running fine, lol.

It looks like the "desktop" version of SkyDrive is gone for good, at least for me.

How do you set it to boot to desktop?

Otherwise it is running fine, lol.

Skydrive is integrated with it apparently I havent tried it.

Boot to desktop, right click on the taskbar at the bottom (not the new icon) there's a lot of good stuff there. I like keeping the desktop wallpaper for the metro icons as well, looks more integrated.

Wow, you're right, keeping the desktop wallpaper for Start looks really good!

Thanks for the boot-to-desktop find.

SkyDrive is totally integrated now which is a good move but since the desktop app is completely gone I can't just look down at the taskbar and see my sync status. Not sure what the easiest way is to do that now... the folder icons in explorer also don't show the sync status like they used to.

SkyDrive Pro doesn't make any sense either. When you start it it just says "Which Library do you want to sync?" with a text field to type a library name? I'm confused.

I cancelled my install earlier but am wondering if I was panicking over nothing. I read all of these reports about some kind of secure boot fuck-up, even if you aren't using it.

I cannot find 8.1 in VLS. I can see my licensing for it and the keys but no download. I checked both Software assurance and Windows downloads. Are we getting it late?

Back