Windows 7 Is One Obstinate OS

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Gmok Bonecrusha

Gmok Bonecrusha [H]ard|Gawd

My job has started rolling out W10 machines...They can't get quite a few applications to work. They've had to call in quite a few companies to get things up and running. I think January of next year, will be a nightmare for a lot of companies.

2. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

Gave windows 10 a litle more than a year of my life. its a complete control mess with settings spread all over the place
    windows just looks like an unfinished product where the still left half of the system the old way.

when windows 10 update decide to uninstall d-tolls without notice, I finnaly went back to windows 7 and it felt wonderful

Yeah if you just use your OS to run a browser and steam can see ppl thinking there is no big difference.

stil workin on windows10 at work and support windows 10 installs. But it goings to take a long time before i am getting rid of windows 7, Eol or not

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Delicieuxz, JokerCPoC and Nenu like this.
  3. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

This isn't a valid question. If we were soothsayers, we'd all have won the lottery by now. But I'll go first, the next update will break something in Windows 10. :p

Revdarian likes this.
  4. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

Perfectly valid question, if you have taken the time to keep up to date and informed. :)

5. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

Why don't you ask Zoltar...

jackassofman.jpg

6. Hashiriya415

Hashiriya415 [H]Lite

About 2 years ago I was installing Windows and debating which one. I randomly clicked on Nvidia's "known problems". Windows 7 had about 3 bugs. Windows 10 like 8 bugs. I'm my head I just didn't want to deal with this new system that should be better but it's not

7. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

This is my experience, too. I haven't updated Windows 7 since maybe around summer 2015. No issues. I don't expect there will be any, either.

The mythos of how dangerous running a Windows machine without updates is way blown out of proportion. Obviously, in a business environment the acceptable threshold for risk is as close to 0% as you can get it (however, businesses then run Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise rather than LTSC and encounter issues from its feature updates, making them at least as careless as if they never updated).

But, on a personal PC where you have your important stuff backed up, there's no pressure to be updating Windows, and it can be reckless and even foolish to do so. I would only update Windows where it's necessary for a defined goal. Otherwise, due to Microsoft's atrocious lack of testing and QA, I would apply the same rule to Windows updates as is recommended for drivers: If it isn't broken, don't fix it - AKA if there isn't an issue then don't mess with stuff by updating them.

8. ManofGod

*YAWN* Ow, ow ow, yawned to hard. ;) Just means you guys are the haters after the fact but not really paying attention to what is occurring now. None of the things that have occurred where a surprise to those who where paying attention and doing the insider builds.

9. ManofGod

So, Windows 10 does not work correctly and it must be the OS, right? Could not possibly be a hardware failure or anything at all, right? So, what are you going to do if you Linux Distro fails and takes everything with it, switch to Mac?

10. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

Wonk, Wonk, Wonk... you sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.

11. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Its wank no matter how you tug it.

12. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles [H]ard|Gawd

I'd have been forced to update if DX12 wasn't such a joke.

13. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

I agree and DX12 is coming to Windows 7 anyway.

14. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardForum Junkie

LightsOut41 likes this.
  15. Shotglass01

Shotglass01 [H]ard|Gawd

Of course it's the hardware! It can't be blessed Microsoft code can it?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ows-10-problem-meltdown-spectre/#6c79e52b19b5
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ndows-7-windows-xp-free-upgrade/#3029f4e56fa4
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...h-windows-10-home-pro-downgrade/#4259f94e71eb
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...s-10-upgrade-problem-price-cost/#743a00b6213d

Geez, glad I don't have that hardware! o_O

Revdarian likes this.
  16. Furious_Styles

I have no idea why honestly. It was supposed to be the big reason to get everyone to switch in the first place.

LightsOut41 likes this.
  17. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Win 10 has proved to be a failure so now they are after us using new methods.
    As Mastershake said, its likely they will push more people to their store, and be forced to accept the same information grabbing updates that Windows 10 suffers with.

18. ManofGod

Dude, you know it could be the hardware, regardless. You want me to post a bunch of links for Mac OS and Linux as well? Sorry but, I do not have blinders on, I can see that it could be the hardware. Oh well, his computer, he can do with it as he pleases.

19. Furious_Styles

Ah, I see. Still wish we could get a version of 10 marketed toward long-time users.

20. Guarana [BAWLS]

Guarana [BAWLS] [H]ard|Gawd

And here today I'm setting up a "new" workstation with Win7 because a vendor at work refuses to upgrade a hosted app they have. Still running citrix that's well over 10 years old, and Server 2003 as a back-end.

UGH. Why the hell am I touching Win7 in 2019?

GoldenTiger likes this.
  21. earnolmartin

earnolmartin Gawd

Windows 7 masterpiece UI? Hardly. XP had the best UI. It was so simple, quick, responsive, and easy-to-use. It's been all downhill since XP. What Linux lacks is a GUI file explorer as fast and efficient as Explorer.exe. That, and being able to play all windows games. Once those two things are solved, bye MS and Windows.

22. Delicieuxz

Delicieuxz Gawd

Because Windows 10 is a piece of shit.

Windows 7's UI isn't quick and responsive? are you running it on a 486?

SvenBent and LightsOut41 like this.
  23. Executioner

Executioner Limp Gawd

All my machines at home run 7. I have 2 spare laptops. One is running Linux Mint 18.3. Works perfect, and I like the way updates are handled in Linux (are you listening MS?). I just bought a used Dell laptop I'm using for light gaming. I was going to install 7 on it since that is what it came with, but the seller put 10 pro on it version 1809. I was surprised to see it, but he set it up correctly by uninstalling some of the junk in a fresh install. some of the tiles. I did not have to tweak it much except for installing Shutup10, and classic shell. Updates were deferred for 30 days etc., Cortana was converted to a search only.
    I've been using 10 now on this laptop for about a month, and I can handle it fine with the classic shell. I can't stand the live tiles.

24. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Yea...no. XP was utterly awful in the UI department. It was basically The Win9x ui with no real changes other than a fucking unicorn threw up on it. There is a reason that total shell overhauls hit the height of their popularity during XP. Vista and 7 were both massive leaps over XP..then 8 came along and managed to make XP not look like trash.

25. blkt

blkt Gawd

Ah XP's fisher price desktop, the first thing I always did was set the classic (and less resource eating) interface so it looked like Windows 2000 again. Ahhh. Pepperidge farm remembers.

26. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Or his pirating. He describes downloading Win7 and having it say not genuine because something got through his firewall, rofl.

ManofGod likes this.
  27. SmokeRngs

SmokeRngs [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008

Eh, XP's UI was decent once you used the Classic theme. Overall I was probably happiest with Win2k's UI. I don't need a "pretty" UI and it was completely functional. That said I do like Win7's UI for the most part although I think I still prefer the way 2k handled a lot of stuff such as Control Panel as well as the networking UI. It was a lot simpler to deal with and used a lot fewer clicks.

Win2k was the pinnacle for MS's UIs as far as usability is concerned in my opinion. Ever since then it has been in regression mode and then fell off the deep end with Win8 and 10.

I know I said I don't need a pretty UI but I must say the look of the Win10 UI is atrocious. That horrible flat look with practically no depth to anything gets on my nerves from a visual standpoint as well as a usability standpoint. I really wish that horrid look would die soon. Also, the lack of any real ability to configure the look of Win10 doesn't help. I may not need a pretty UI but I would like to be able to customize it more than changing the wallpaper.

blkt likes this.
  28. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

Are you high? Norton Commander walked all over XP in terms of UI, the world should have stopped there.

29. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

and even then They would probably still be equally slow as both have a 400ms delay on menu's etc

Its those "fake" delays i remove with my project mercury "winfast reacts" feature" make the Gui run a lot faster