Windows 7 icons in taskbar

TheCommander

2[H]4U
I've been messing around with it for a long time and can't figure out how to add a couple icons next to my start menu in Windows 7. I want it similar to vista where I can have a IE icon or Firefox icon next to the start button. Also, is there any way to get the show desktop icon there?

edit: To be clear, I already have it there but I want it to just be an icon regardless of when I click it. Currently when I open it up, a box replaces the icon.

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted. I reallly like that quick launch bar better than the current way to quick launch things in Windows 7.

quiclaunch toolbar + list toolbars FTW
48774279.png

So happy I adapted to the new taskbar, the QL bar in 7 looks FUGLY.

I just click the icons with my mouse wheel to open new instances. Simple. Or you can just swipe up.

Agreed with above. Don't get why people need quicklaunch with the new taskbar. But then again, I don't get why people need a lot of things.

Agreed with above. Don't get why people need quicklaunch with the new taskbar. But then again, I don't get why people need a lot of things.

i dont understand? what are you using instead? the default "pin to toolbar" thing?

i didnt like that because the icons were too big...

pics?

ok, maybe ill go back and give it a shot (recently installed win7/never used vista) - so i never really did give it time to adjust/see if it liked it.

sscreenshots of your setup?

Make the task bar smaller... problem solved.

tried it out ... the quick launch icons vs the small pin to desktop icons....the quick launch looks smoother.

what else is the advantage of the 'pin to desktop' for shortcuts?

tried it out ... the quick launch icons vs the small pin to desktop icons....the quick launch looks smoother.

what else is the advantage of the 'pin to desktop' for shortcuts?

Don't you mean Pin To The Taskbar?

Its advantage is pretty obvious really.. You pin your most used items to the taskbar.. The lesser used item I pin to the Start Menu.

Eliminates the dead quick launch and you have a clean desktop with no icons.

Untitled-102.jpg

Why not just adjust to the new way of doing things instead of living in the past? I to was a big Quick Launch user but with the new Task Bar the QL bar is obsolete.

^^Agreed. I love the new taskbar. It's like a dock/taskbar hybrid. If anyone is bitching because it's "too big", then take a freaking look around. Right click the damned thing, and select Properties, and check the "use small icons" box. Bam, small taskbar, small icons, all of the functionality.

im missing something.
what's the difference between having the icons as a shortcut in a quick launch toolbar, vs pinning a shortcut to the taskbar?

even with the "use small icons", i can fit more icons/shortcuts in a smaller space with quick launch toolbar than i can with pinning shortcuts to the taskbar.

Just pin the apps you really use all the time to the task bar and the rest to the start menu like I did above.

Why do you need to have every single app you use right on the task bar?

I always pin my stuff to my startmenu.

Heck i'm so OCD, the programs in my taskbar are organized by how long the name is XD:

pin.png

Last edited:
LOL, now that is very OCD.

And those are pinned to the Start Menu, not the Task Bar btw.

because thew new super bar takes more clicks to open something, it is no longer a quicklaunch

say i attached a txt file with some info on it, okay great, now it is pinned to the bar, i want to open that file now, i have to click the notepad icon, then click the file i want OH, and now, ANY txt file i open, now shows on the notepad icon, so now i have to scroll through a bunch of files to find the one i want, taking up evern MOREEE time...it is a waste of my time is what it is, i want to click the notepad file, or excel file and be done with it.

so what went from click - open, is now - click, find, open.

Just pin the apps you really use all the time to the task bar and the rest to the start menu like I did above.

again, because it is one less thing to click on to open and search, i love quicklaunch, in the past i had the 10-15 apps/games i used on it, click - open, done, i know where things are so well i barely have to look, i move my mouse, click, open, and off i go, not click, open, search for the program i want, off i go.

again, because it is one less thing to click on to open and search, i love quicklaunch, in the past i had the 10-15 apps/games i used on it, click - open, done, i know where things are so well i barely have to look, i move my mouse, click, open, and off i go, not click, open, search for the program i want, off i go.

So.. install Vista, hell, install XP or 2000. Leave the advancments of modern OS'es to the rest of us that can learn how to adapt to a more useful system. :)

So.. install Vista, hell, install XP or 2000. Leave the advancments of modern OS'es to the rest of us that can learn how to adapt to a more useful system. :)

More clicks to do the same thing he wanted to do sounds suspiciously like a step backwards, not an advancement.

Different usage habits have different optimal UIs, it's not rocket science, and there is no "one-best-way" that is the same for everyone.

look at my screen shot again, i only have my constantly used apps on the quick launch toolbar...

my other just common used apps are either 1) pinned in the start menu, or 2) setup as another toolbar on my start menu (as a list, NOT showing all icons/shortcuts)...for games and sys apps.)

advancements to those that can adapt? are you shitting me?

does microsoft, who is constantly trying to dumb things down for 'every-day users' or 'parents', do you think they know best on how you should run/setup your workstation?

get a grip, man. there are plenty of software apps out there who on their continuing quest to 'find a reason to get you to upgrade to a new build', fuked something up...hence, why many people continue to use older revisions of software.

quicklaunch works great for me...i have all of the programs i open quite frequently (and hdd partition shortcuts), right there. a single click. done. even opening the start menu and moving my mouse 1/2 way across the screen and finding my app is a pain.

taking my hand off the mouse to type to find an app is a waste, as well (except for non-common used apps)

Get a grip?...

Moving your wrist more then 1cm either way is apparently to hard for you and I'm out of touch?

Fight with me all you want but I embraced the innovations of Windows 7 (as did many, many other enthusiasts/power users on this site) and have adapted to where they are MUCH more intuitive and fluid.

Like I said.. Install XP be done with it.

More clicks? Um, wtf are you talking about? One click, bam, program launches. Why keep an actual text document on the bar? How 'bout organizing your documents? That's what "My Documents" is for. If you really want, right click the taskbar and select "new toolbar". You can put any folder and it's contents on the taskbar, and you can launch individual files from the taskbar if you want to.

You may have known this if you were spending less time bitching and more time actually getting to know the taskbar/OS.

Now, with that said, stfu and enjoy W7 - which is leagues better than the fossil that is XP. :cool:

CLIFFS: If you're really THAT lazy and need to open individual documents from your taskbar, right click the damn thing, select "new toolbar" and select whatever folder you want, containing whatever documents you want. Launch them straight from the taskbar. Bam, quit yer bitchin'.

Last edited:
Why do people complain when someone wants to change something to their liking? It's a matter of preference and everyone CAN DO whatever works best for them. I like the quick launch bar because I think it's better than the new one. That is all there is to it. And yes, I will continue to use new operating systems for their other features- namely the way they control hardware.

Last edited:
It's a matter of preference and everyone CAN DO whatever works best for them.
Because every developer/tester minute that MS has to spend making sure the Quick Launch toolbar still works is a minute they could have spent making new features instead. Features aren't free.

Thats all well and good if people want to live in the dark ages, but they don't need to go around saying how "bad" they think the new features are.

Once again, those of us that can adapt to new features realize the benefit of them and are happy, its those they can't that start the bitching.

Because every developer/tester minute that MS has to spend making sure the Quick Launch toolbar still works is a minute they could have spent making new features instead. Features aren't free.

MS put it in there because they wanted to. And next off, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it should not be there. I don't like some things but I don't say get rid of them. To me and many others, whatever small cost it required was worth it.

Thats all well and good if people want to live in the dark ages, but they don't need to go around saying how "bad" they think the new features are.

Once again, those of us that can adapt to new features realize the benefit of them and are happy, its those they can't that start the bitching.

I don't see anyone here saying that the new taskbar is bad or some other feature being bad.

I don't see anyone here saying that the new taskbar is bad or some other feature being bad.

:rolleyes:

Really? Ever since the first pre-beta of 7 was released there has been nothing but bitching over the new features.

... did you even read the thread?

Really? Ever since the first pre-beta of 7 was released there has been nothing but bitching over the new features.

... did you even read the thread?

I created the thread and read through it. This thread was solely about a way to get the taskbar to appear until some people decided to bring up one of their rants on how everyone should use the new taskbar.

The new taskbar is basically the same as the old one. The reason some of us are saying you should "deal with it" is because the new taskbar has ALL of the functionality of the old one, plus new features that you all DON'T have to use.

Seriously, read my last post. It's as simple as "right click, new toolbar". Bam, done, end of story.

Don't let the fact that some of you are too damn lazy to figure this shit out be the reason that you're stuck with an obsolete OS.

EDIT: Wow, I just found out that you can pin inividual files to whatever program you have pinned on the taskbar. I dragged a .psd to the Photoshop icon and pinned it...now I just right click the icon (of left click/slide up) and choose which file I want to open. Fucking WAY better than anything the old quicklaunch had to offer.

Last edited:
keyboard shortcuts anyone?

Oh, but heaven forbid someone have to move BOTH hands to open a program...

... God forbid..

Back