Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

Been running pro-64 off the RTM iso with the version select lock removed, to wait for my key to arrive.
Got the key emailed to me and put it into the activator and bam,works fine.

Been running pro-64 off the RTM iso with the version select lock removed, to wait for my key to arrive.
Got the key emailed to me and put it into the activator and bam,works fine.

I have no clue what you're talking about so here's a... fluffy bunny with a.. pancake on its head.

Yea.

You have 30 days to activate, after selecting a version to install.

Get your key within those 30 days, and activate it then.

I'm sorry to ask this question, I'm sure someone has, but this thread is so long I don't see the answer. I'm going to upgrade my sisters laptop because her vista install is fubar. If I do the digital download on another computer can I re-install vista on hers, copy and paste the win7 installer to her laptop, and go?

I just want to wipe the drive before I upgrade.

I'm sorry to ask this question, I'm sure someone has, but this thread is so long I don't see the answer. I'm going to upgrade my sisters laptop because her vista install is fubar. If I do the digital download on another computer can I re-install vista on hers, copy and paste the win7 installer to her laptop, and go?

I just want to wipe the drive before I upgrade.

If you wanted to format the drive before installing Win7 why don't you just boot to the cd and do a custom install?

If you wanted to format the drive before installing Win7 why don't you just boot to the cd and do a custom install?

Yeah I see it's possible to take the files MS gives you and burn an ISO. I will probably just do exactly that then.

I can't believe how long it is taking to get my backup disc. I have received stuff quicker from China!

So I have a university email address but it has "-alum" in the name.

Example: [email protected]

Has anyone tried using a school email like this? I would figure that it would throw up some flags requiring proof of enrollment. But if anyone has successfully used something similar I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:
You can always "try it"
You submit your email prior to the purchase process anyway.

Has anyone tired using a school email like this? I would figure that it would throw up some flags requiring proof of enrollment. But if anyone has successfully used something similar I'll give it a shot.

I don't see why this would bring up any red flags.

Many universities allow alumni to keep their .edu's well after graduation to allow for the access of periodic journals and research materials, not to mention promotions such as this. Your continuing usage of your .edu promotes the university's name, and is thus proving beneficial to the administration. If MS thinks an alumni .edu is a red flag, they're sure going to be receiving many red flags in the next couple months, that's for sure.

still waiting on my BU media. no tracking number no nothin

did yours come via mail or ups/fedex?

never buying from digital river again thats for sure

Boo hoo, you have to wait for your $30 Windows 7 DVD. Do you think you are the only one who ordered the DVD set? You and maybe a million others that they have to prepare and ship.

It really is not hard to install from the exe, while you patiently wait for something to be delivered.

Has anyone tried using a school email like this? I would figure that it would throw up some flags requiring proof of enrollment. But if anyone has successfully used something similar I'll give it a shot.
While I haven't bought Win 7 from DR (yet), I did try to see if my alumni edu address would work. It did - at least to get the e-mail that authorized me to buy Win 7 if I wanted it.

I have gone through this thread a bit and got the impression that this was the full version. So I installed home premium on my friends machine and when he went to put in his key, it was for upgrade version. Is there a way for him to activate without reformatting?

reinstall windows 7 over the top of that using the upgrade option from within windows 7 (skip entering the serial on the first install). Once it "upgrades", it will ask you to enter the cd key... enter the one from DR and you should be good to go :)

I don't know if its already been asked, but If i have Windows XP (32 bit) can I put Windows 7 (64 bit) on another hard drive?

You can dual-boot by installing Windows 7 to another partition, but this will force Windows 7 to be dependant on the XP partition to boot (you wont be able to reinstall or delete the XP partition later on).

You can install Windows 7 to another hard drive and move that drive higher in your bios' hard drive boot order. You wont be able to boot XP without changing the boot order back, or if your motherboard supports it you can press F8/F1/F11 at the bios screen to bring up the Boot Menu and select the 2nd hard drive whenever you want to boot XP.

FYI, I sent digital river an emial asking them what they were thinking. I told them that I needed an ISO since I was upgrading my son's computer form 32 bit to 64 bit, they supplies me with a download link for an ISO file. the file contained the windows USB /DVD boot utility as well. It was very slick and a piece of cake to burn the ISO using the utility

FYI, I sent digital river an emial asking them what they were thinking. I told them that I needed an ISO since I was upgrading my son's computer form 32 bit to 64 bit, they supplies me with a download link for an ISO file. the file contained the windows USB /DVD boot utility as well. It was very slick and a piece of cake to burn the ISO using the utility

When you go to your account, you should be able to select from 4 download options:
32-bit installer & 32-bit ISO
64-bit installer & 64-bit ISO

Ok I emailed them about getting a link to the ISO file, and I haven't heard back from them yet. Is there customer service normally pretty quick? I want to install Win7 tomorrow. Could anyone maybe just post the link? I am sure it still asks you to login.

Ok I emailed them about getting a link to the ISO file, and I haven't heard back from them yet. Is there customer service normally pretty quick? I want to install Win7 tomorrow. Could anyone maybe just post the link? I am sure it still asks you to login.

Here's the email I got back when I asked about the ISO file. This should get you fixed up and running.

"Thank you for ordering from the Windows 7 Student Offer online store.

We understand that you want an ISO file for Windows 7 Professional
Upgrade 32-Bit.

Here is additional information regarding the Windows 7 64-bit download
process. The Student Offer has been extended for those customers who
wish to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7, but are currently
running a 32-bit Operating System. Microsoft’s offer now includes a
downloadable ISO file of Windows 7.

The ISO file contains all the Windows 7 installation files combined into
a single uncompressed file. When you download the ISO file using the
download manager link, you need to copy it to some medium (DVD or USB
flash drive) in order to install Windows 7. A download for the Windows 7
USB/DVD Download tool has been provided. This tool allows you to create
bootable media to a USB flash drive or a DVD. Here is the link that
you’ll need:

Detailed Instructions:
http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/ContentTheme/pbPage.Upgrade

* Windows 7 Download Manager for ISO Image: http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/dlm/DLMWin7Pro32US-ISO.exe

Support Information:

For online store purchase, downloads, or product key questions,
please contact Digital River

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHelpPage/

If you need to contact Microsoft Technical Support, use Microsoft’s
Online Assisted Support process to get your regional specific contact
information.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=162720

We value your loyalty and are happy to assist with any other needs you
may have."

Here's the email I got back when I asked about the ISO file. This should get you fixed up and running.

"Thank you for ordering from the Windows 7 Student Offer online store.

We understand that you want an ISO file for Windows 7 Professional
Upgrade 32-Bit.

Here is additional information regarding the Windows 7 64-bit download
process. The Student Offer has been extended for those customers who
wish to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7, but are currently
running a 32-bit Operating System. Microsoft’s offer now includes a
downloadable ISO file of Windows 7.

The ISO file contains all the Windows 7 installation files combined into
a single uncompressed file. When you download the ISO file using the
download manager link, you need to copy it to some medium (DVD or USB
flash drive) in order to install Windows 7. A download for the Windows 7
USB/DVD Download tool has been provided. This tool allows you to create
bootable media to a USB flash drive or a DVD. Here is the link that
you’ll need:

Detailed Instructions:
http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/ContentTheme/pbPage.Upgrade

* Windows 7 Download Manager for ISO Image: http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/dlm/DLMWin7Pro32US-ISO.exe

Support Information:

For online store purchase, downloads, or product key questions,
please contact Digital River

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHelpPage/

If you need to contact Microsoft Technical Support, use Microsoft’s
Online Assisted Support process to get your regional specific contact
information.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=162720

We value your loyalty and are happy to assist with any other needs you
may have."

you can change 32 to 64 on the ISO link and download the 64-bit version as well. Don't know if there's a difference in images though.

When you go to your account, you should be able to select from 4 download options:
32-bit installer & 32-bit ISO
64-bit installer & 64-bit ISO

That may be the case now but when i purchased early on,that was not an option. They offered only a single exe download.

Last edited:
I know that you can use the upgrade as a full version. My question is, will this always work?
Will we get hit with one of those microsoft authentification messages in a year asking for the full version?

Will this also work down the road when we may need to reinstall windows 7 again?

I know its speculation but was wondering what you guys think.

Ok I may be dumb, but where is the link for the USB/DVD Download Tool?

Nevermind it automatically downloads with the ISO.

Last edited:
i jumped on the MS deal. cant get a dvd from MS but for 32 bucks total got a license key and a link to a iso for 32 bit and 64 bit

I am having the worst issues installing this. The exe file didn't work for me. And now the ISO won't do a clean install. I tried both flash drive and dvd. I feel screwed. And still waiting on my backup disc. I am going to try installing Vista and upgrading. Installing an OS should not be difficult.

I am having the worst issues installing this. The exe file didn't work for me. And now the ISO won't do a clean install. I tried both flash drive and dvd. I feel screwed. And still waiting on my backup disc. I am going to try installing Vista and upgrading. Installing an OS should not be difficult.

I can't understand what issues you could be having. Download the ISO and use Microsoft's ISO Tool to burn the ISO image onto a DVD. Then, reboot your computer and set your BIOS so it boots from CD. Simple as that. If you prefer to use a USB flash drive, you can do exactly the same thing with that ISO tool.

I can't understand what issues you could be having. Download the ISO and use Microsoft's ISO Tool to burn the ISO image onto a DVD. Then, reboot your computer and set your BIOS so it boots from CD. Simple as that. If you prefer to use a USB flash drive, you can do exactly the same thing with that ISO tool.

Errors. I get an error when I do the custom install. I got an error while using the executable version. Obviously it should be as simple as burning the ISO and booting it up to install. But that hasn't been my case, which is why I am frustrated with it.

Errors. I get an error when I do the custom install. I got an error while using the executable version. Obviously it should be as simple as burning the ISO and booting it up to install. But that hasn't been my case, which is why I am frustrated with it.

You might try telling us what the error is or Google the error message and see what that brings up.

The error happens while it is Expanding Windows Files, and it happens around 64%. The error reads exactly as below:

Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570

I have burned this twice onto a dvd and copied it twice onto a flash drive and I get this error every time. I did try redownloading and still not working.

Last edited:
Back