Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

Ordered on Nov 4th and got it in the mail yesterday. I must have received the full Pro x64 version by luck. To install, I followed the instructions here word-for-word.

I downloaded everything on Monday, installed Tuesday with the key I got from DR in my email inbox and didn't have any problems with activation. So far it's all been a good experience upgrading from XP. Now I just need a non-legacy GPU and I should be set for a while :)

I paid to have the disc shipped only because I thought I was going to get the retail box and stuff. Instead they shipped me a CD and when I opened the package I ripped the CD Key label in half because there was no indication of which way to open the package.

Horrible, but for $40 what did I really expect out of Microsoft. :rolleyes:

Try taking your time instead of acting like a 3 year old on Christmas. :D:D:D

LoL...you don't really need instructions to figure out the only thing holding the card together was a thick round sticky seal. I just got my knife and cut the seal. Also, its not really a CD key. Its just a CoA for the CD itself. The Key is in your email.

Ordered on Nov 4th and got it in the mail yesterday. I must have received the full Pro x64 version by luck. To install, I followed the instructions here word-for-word.

I downloaded everything on Monday, installed Tuesday with the key I got from DR in my email inbox and didn't have any problems with activation. So far it's all been a good experience upgrading from XP. Now I just need a non-legacy GPU and I should be set for a while :)

I order my October 20th. Got it yesterday. Weird.

LoL...you don't really need instructions to figure out the only thing holding the card together was a thick round sticky seal. I just got my knife and cut the seal. Also, its not really a CD key. Its just a CoA for the CD itself. The Key is in your email.

I noticed that after I pieced together the sticker after. With that said, it was still horribly packaged.

Ordered my backup disc back when the deal started. It still has yet to get here. :mad:

Fake Edit: Oh Wonderful! I see on the invoice website that my order status is "Complete"
tardsk5.gif
. Welp, better call and bitch to MS.

Got my disk a couple of days ago...it took like 9 day, not bad. Did a clean install on new hard drive. Not a one problems. Everything came up, internet, drivers etc...only my sound card didn't work, but it was pretty old and the on-board sound worked anyways. My old OS was a 32 bit XP and the new 64 bit 7 works like a champ. I keep my whole system and only added memory which was dirt cheap. Not a bad deal all in all.

Got my backup disk. I ordered through the site, so I didn't get the complete retail packaging, just a 64bit backup in a envelope.

Ive got a couple friends that bought this Digital River mess and they all ran into the same thing with upgrade only vs clean install.

"Upgrading" (reinstalling) a clean, unactivated install is the only way I or they have found to get a clean install going with these keys.

if you guys are still having issues like this search this thread for my posts...

all you do:
install technet 90day free demo (clean install)
install the iso download from digital river on top of it, using your new serial #

viola!

I jumped on this deal, and had no problems at all ordering it. Got the free shipping and all. I have a couple of quick questions though. First, how long does it typically take to get it? And second, are they, or are they not supposed to send an e-mail to your .edu account? Thanks!

First, how long does it typically take to get it? /QUOTE]

Depends. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to get mine. Other people have received theres in about 8 or 9 days. But that was people who pre-ordered or who ordered right after release. So I am guessing about a week.

And second, are they, or are they not supposed to send an e-mail to your .edu account? Thanks!

They should send you an email with the product key.

I downloaded Box file 1 and 2, and the exe and created my own ISO disc. Saved $13. 7 Pro for $30/w disc is a steal.

My image disc worked fine.

I want to install w7 on my XPS630 but Dell did not give me the Vista Media. Is there any direct download link (like there is for w7) to get a Vista ISO in case I want to revert?

Don't want to risk getting an OS from a torrent...

I want to install w7 on my XPS630 but Dell did not give me the Vista Media. Is there any direct download link (like there is for w7) to get a Vista ISO in case I want to revert?

I don't know the legality of it, but just ask someone on the boards to make a copy of their ISO and mail it to you? PM me your address and I'll ship one out to you (unless it's a DVD9, don't have any blanks of those).

Still have not received my discs...pretty sure they are not coming. Does anyone know if the key is printed on these discs they send?

I already downloaded the iso and installed fine so I don't really need them but I don't want my key wandering around.

I want to jump on this offer. I am unsure if my computer can work with the 64 bit version. My current OS is windows vista 32 bit :(

I have a "HP Pavilion A6110N Desktop PC"

The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4400+
2gb ram
harddrive

I also have a nvidia 8600 gts 256mb graphics card.

Can my computer run the 64bit version? Should I get the 64 bit version?:confused:

I want to jump on this offer. I am unsure if my computer can work with the 64 bit version. My current OS is windows vista 32 bit :(

I have a "HP Pavilion A6110N Desktop PC"

The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4400+
2gb ram
harddrive

I also have a nvidia 8600 gts 256mb graphics card.

Can my computer run the 64bit version? Should I get the 64 bit version?:confused:

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC is ready for Windows 7. It scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known compatibility issues, gives you guidance on how to resolve potential issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en

No media? That doesn't sound right unless have a restore partition. In which case, you don't need media. Call Dell.

I got my disc. Can someone confirm that there is a different key on the disc than what was obtained during the download? If I recall, I thought there was a key on the disc.

I got my disc. Can someone confirm that there is a different key on the disc than what was obtained during the download? If I recall, I thought there was a key on the disc.

How about you confirm that it is a CoA and not a cd-key, since you have it in front of you.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
Download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your PC is ready for Windows 7. It scans your hardware, devices, and installed programs for known compatibility issues, gives you guidance on how to resolve potential issues found, and recommends what to do before you upgrade.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15&displaylang=en
Looks like I will be able to use windows 7 64bit version. Thanks for the information.:D

I installed 64-bit Win 7 HP over the holiday weekend on my HTPC. (It had 32-bit Win Vista HB.) It mostly went well. The only real problem I had w/ it is that my Abit Airpace Wi-Fi card wasn't being properly detected. I tried various drivers I Googled up, but no go. In fact, when I tried to scan for hardware changes in Device Manager, it actually crashed the computer and gave an error code upon bootup referring to "blue screen". LOL! But it wasn't so funny not having the PCI-e card not work. :mad: So I'm running a 50' Ethernet cable to it until I find a Wi-Fi card that's cheap and 100% 64-bit Windows 7 compatible (either PCI-e or USB dongle). So, other than the Wi-Fi frustration, Windows 7 looks great and is working well. And now it finally sees all 4 GB of RAM that my previous 32-bit OS obviously couldn't. Win 7 is Win Vista done right. :cool:

So, I haven't followed this thread in a while(since the beginning). Do you have to install this Windows 7 (download or disc) on top of another already present OS?

Or is it some weird 50/50 chance you'll get a serial number that allows a clean install?

Thanks

You can do a clean install but the download doesn't supply the iso file, so you have to make it yourself or get the discs. :) And to the person who hasn't gotten their discs yet, I had the same problem and emailed them. They sent a new disc out and I did get that one, so all hope is not lost!

Can I still call up microsoft to get windows 7 for cheap like some people were doing earlier, i guess thats full retail. I'd prefer to do that.

I believe so, here's the number, I had copy/pasted the post from earlier in the thread just in case, altho I believe there's an entire thread dedicated to that deal:

Call Microsoft Store directly @ 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786), 8am to 1am Monday through Friday, and 12pm to 8pm Saturday and Sunday Eastern time. Some people have reported long hold times (30-45 minutes). A rep got to me quickly (under 10 mins) both times I called.

I also only asked for the disk, not the download and paid about $38 with tax ($2.50) and shipping ($4.99).

I believe the DR deal was gonna run tru Jan 3rd or something like that, let us know 'till when is the straight-off-MS deal running if you find out.

I already had 8 licenses from the ACM / MSDNAA deal, and thus also had the Pro ISOs (32 bit & 64-bit), so I haven't really bothered w/any of this. Any friend that used the DR deal I could just give a copy of my MSDNAA ISO. DR seems to have made a mess out of the whole thing even if it still works in the end (and it's still a good deal).

Just stumbled upon this thread, about to start a new build.

So I just spent hours reading through this thread and haven't found a solid answer.

I guess some are getting the full retail version and some are getting the upgrade?

If it's the upgrade, it's still possible to do a clean install with it, from what I understand you can install Windows 7 without activating it, and then do another installation and then activate it?

I haven't installed anything but XP in years, so a lot of this is new to me.

Just stumbled upon this thread, about to start a new build.

So I just spent hours reading through this thread and haven't found a solid answer.

I guess some are getting the full retail version and some are getting the upgrade?

If it's the upgrade, it's still possible to do a clean install with it, from what I understand you can install Windows 7 without activating it, and then do another installation and then activate it?

I haven't installed anything but XP in years, so a lot of this is new to me.
its NOT an upgrade. its full retail and you can actually get Pro for $29.99. just call 1-877-696-7786 and tell them you want FULL Windows 7 Pro for $29.99 and give them your .edu address and info. the deal ends on Jan 3 I believe so you better do it now.

its NOT an upgrade. its full retail and you can actually get Pro for $29.99. just call 1-877-696-7786 and tell them you want FULL Windows 7 Pro for $29.99 and give them your .edu address and info. the deal ends on Jan 3 I believe so you better do it now.

Cool, thanks for the help!

Just placed the order through the number above. I chose to get the disc, as I wanted a physical copy and really didn't need the OS right away.

I didn't elaborate whether I wanted the 64bit or the 32bit so I gave them a call back, and apparently it will be both on the disc. So for those wondering if you'll receive one or the other, I guess you can rest easy as you'll receive both.

Just placed the order through the number above. I chose to get the disc, as I wanted a physical copy and really didn't need the OS right away.

I didn't elaborate whether I wanted the 64bit or the 32bit so I gave them a call back, and apparently it will be both on the disc. So for those wondering if you'll receive one or the other, I guess you can rest easy as you'll receive both.
yeah sorry I didnt make that clear that Windows 7 will come with a 64bit and 32bit disc.

Back