Windows 10: Your thoughts so far?

have anyone noticed that in the performance tab in the taskmanager, the active time counter doesn't reset shutting down the machine?. it's the same in the 3 machines i've installed windows 10 so far. active time: 1 day 15 hours 57 minutes 22 seconds. lol i've just turning on the machines.. a friend told me its because fast boot.. but idk.

I'm not too keen on the lack of adjustable settings inside the edge browser but I probably won't be using it very much and my current installation of chrome works as a browser but my bookmark folders don't open, I'm going to try deleting and reinstalling chrome. Aside from that, I like it and all is well for now but then again, I'm one of the few people that had no problems with windows 8.

I'm really liking 10, and the desktop install went without a hitch, but I'm having some major problems with the switchable graphics on my touchsmart TM2.

First the default drivers cause the screen to black out and switch to improper resolutions so I'm forced to use the Win7 drivers supplied by HP support (which have NEVER been updated since my tablet was brand new-- gg HP :rolleyes: you guys won't be seeing a dime from me anytime soon). Installing the win7 drivers is a PITA due to 1) have to install the older .NET stuff through Windows Features or else the ATi drivers will fail and 2) the screen switching off (have to use remote desktop to complete the Intel driver install portion). Firefox crashes and takes the video driver with it with hardware acceleration enabled under the Intel driver so I'm forced to use either software-only mode or switch to the ATI "High Graphics" mode. Oh, and brightness controls don't work under the latter mode either.

How much space should Win 10 and drivers take up? Says I am using about 40 gigs. Is that right?

The problem being raised here is what happens in a month when Windows 8.1 key won't be usable anymore or in a year when the upgrades are no longer offered.

Yea, after 30 days you won't even be able to activate your old Win7 or 8.1. I'm not installing Win10 until this is clarified properly. I think I might forget this free version and just buy my own retail copy later on so I don't have to deal with this BS and will still have a working copy of Win8.

"even if it's just the mobo that gets replaced - and you call in with your issues he stated that the first tier of tech support you reach is instructed to say "Start over again..." more often than not this is enough for customers to handle the issue on their end by reinstalling the OS they had used as the qualifying upgrade product (7, 8, or 8.1)."

Um, this require 2 OS installs just like I said in the first place. Make up your mind.

Last edited:
How much space should Win 10 and drivers take up? Says I am using about 40 gigs. Is that right?

in the 4 machines im using Win10 the windows folder its about ~20Gb can't speak much about program and files as actually all are loaded.

Yea, after 30 days you won't even be able to activate your old Win7 or 8.1. I'm not installing Win10 until this is clarified properly. I think I might forget this free version and just buy my own retail copy later on so I don't have to deal with this BS and will still have a working copy of Win8.

That's what I'm doing my win 8.1 works fine (I prefer 7 UI but can live with 8) and I have some programs which are questionable for 8 let alone 10. So since my SSD is getting too full anyway I'll get a new SSD and dual boot with win10. Probably go with the pro version since it's not much more $--and now we can even buy it on a USB stick all ready to install instead of spending hours downloading or hassling with DVDs. Plus I need to be able to help friends and family on both systems. Now I'll upgrade my Surface Pro to 10 since it has nothing on it of importance it's mostly a backup computer these days.

One thing that bothers me is the update process, I want to control the time of the downloads, my internet is too slow, during the day, for me to download updates and use it for browsing, hopefully that will work in Pro by deferring them and then choosing to update when I'm not using the internet, otherwise maybe they can be firewalled until the time of my choosing.

anyone know if this would work...say I have 1 legal Windows 7 64-bit key on hard drive A...I want to use a separate hard drive (hard drive B) with the same Windows 7 key as hard drive A to upgrade to Windows 10...will my hard drive A still be OK?...the main point being that both hard drives will not be used at the same time, so technically it's still only using 1 key...I've done this many times with Windows 7, Vista etc with no issues

Alright, my group of upgrades continues to grow:

Samsung Ativbook 4 - (Windows 8.1 Pro) was able to be upgraded using the Tool itself in Windows.
Dell Studio 1535 - (Windows Vista) to Dell Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro
MSI GE70-20E - (Windows 7 Pro but licensed for 8.1) to Windows 10 Home upgraded from bootable USB media
Desktop Custom build - Windows 7 Ult (technet) to Windows 10 Pro - Called for key during upgrade, rebooted and it went through just fine.

I still have 4 other computers to attempt.

I love it. Just did a fresh install on my gaming rig after being in the fast ring for the last few months. Smooth as butter.

anyone else notice that the windows loading/working icon shows up a lot, even when its just idling on the desktop/browser?

My only problem so far is that the Synaptics TouchPad on my Gateway P-7915u (yeah, it's old) doesn't seem to have a scroll function any longer, regardless of what's set in the driver. I'm sure this is temporary, but it's driving me crazy.

anyone else notice that the windows loading/working icon shows up a lot, even when its just idling on the desktop/browser?

let me quote myself:

it's probably SearchIndexer.. that app work under idle status organizing and gathering frequently used/searched programs together with superfetch and prefetch to make common apps to open faster.

I think that the name edge was chosen because it literally takes you to the edge of insanity.

Been using Edge extensively across tablet and desktop and it's been very solid. It's just SO much faster than Chrome especially on my Surface 3. Looking forward to extensions coming. If it still retains the speed and thus far the stability (at least for me) I think it will win some converts from Chrome.

Question: I have my OS on an SSD and then a RAID1 set of spinners with a cached front-end on another SSD... Anyone with a config like this run the update and any issues with Intel IRST and the cache disk volume detaching or anything? I am guessing I might have to reconfig the cached disk in IRST which is not too big of a deal but didn't want things to get ugly either.

Just upgraded and then did the clean install. Only problem I've experienced is with my Lexar multicard reader. Windows Device Manager says "Invalid device descriptor" and Lexar insists their readers are plug and play so they don't even offer the option of downloading the drivers manually. Guess it's time to get a new card reader...

Cant get Edge to stay centered on my desktop. Every time I close it out and reopen it is way up in the left or bottom corners of my monitor

Been using Edge extensively across tablet and desktop and it's been very solid. It's just SO much faster than Chrome especially on my Surface 3. Looking forward to extensions coming. If it still retains the speed and thus far the stability (at least for me) I think it will win some converts from Chrome.

Really weird, my user experience has been much different. Launch it, see it doesn't work and either fall back to IE11 or fail completely. Then copy address, launch firefox and succeed in whatever you're doing.

I love the speed of Edge.
2 machines updated
1 working machine to go (desktop) which I just haven't pushed the timing of

Minor issues in customization have been cleared up mostly. Still would edge to share a link with Outlook not the built in mail which I do not use. But speed is up there, and no connection or program so far has shown any drops in performance.

I love the speed of Edge.
2 machines updated
1 working machine to go (desktop) which I just haven't pushed the timing of

Minor issues in customization have been cleared up mostly. Still would edge to share a link with Outlook not the built in mail which I do not use. But speed is up there, and no connection or program so far has shown any drops in performance.

Can you get your Edge window to stay centered or wherever you put it to stick or stay put where you last closed it?

I've been using Windows 10 since it's first TP in October. When build 10162 rolled out, I loaded all my machines with it and have had a relatively smooth experience. Some small workarounds required for some more out-of-the-way pieces of software. But that's been far and few between.

I LOVE the new look of windows 10. The nearly borderless windows and the overall look and feel of the new start menu and live tiles. It's a silly thing to like, but my favorite visuals are probably the fonts now used in notepad and CMD. If you look deep enough though, you'll find broken visuals that are telling of this release's lack of maturity. By the sounds of thigns, MS has some big milestones ahead for October this year and again the following year...This is Windows as a service.

With that in mind, I think I'll be riding Winodws 8.1 and 7 for another year or so. There are a number of things that need some real fleshing out for me to really want to invest in this OS.

The start menu is not nearly flexible or customizable enough. I say this because there are things I want to UI / start menu to do that either it USED TO DO, or logically SHOULD DO but currently does not. I'm very curious to see where they apply the most polish in the next build. IMO, any feature available in tablet-mode should be allowed to be individually enabled on desktop-mode and vice versa. But that's probably too ambitious a hope to have for MS.

As well, I'm really skeeved out by MS including tracking services at this new level. I have no problem submitting my feedback willingly. But when they have background services attaching metadata to my MS account and using that to sell to advertisers, even after I've disabled every possible privacy feature......I'd like to help you improve your product MS...but not this way. I'd like to hope that this sufficiently handles the privacy concerns...But it is a lot of hoops to jump through.

Mind you, I'm well entrenched with Google and all their data mining. So I shouldn't balk at MS? I only use Google's OS on my phone and it only gets input from phone things that I do. But for important or data sensitive things that I want to do I turn to my PC...I don't feel like I should just let that get mined too...

Something I haven't seen anyone talk about is WORSE performance on windows 10. It's not much...But I've found there to be a consistent annoyance across all my systems loaded with windows 10....shutting down or restarting takes 10-20 more seconds than when I had those systems loaded with 8.1...I've tracked it down to a service that is slow to shut down on windows 10. But I haven't nailed down which service. And I may be getting mislead my Windows 10's continuing accent towards a total lack of verbosity. Again, this may get better in the near future with MS releasing new builds.

As well, there are times where the start menu search is infinitely more worthless then the one in Winodws 7 / 8.1. It's no longer surprising when entering the same search terms minutes apart, And suddenly the program that was top of the results last time is now no where on the list..(Previous builds had issues with the start menu even responding at all)

EDIT..how could i almost forget...forced updates....holy fuck sticks this is dumb. I originally thought they were only going to force essential security updates on you...NOPE. Here comes forced driver updates that conflict with your already installed drivers...I'm steering clear until they get their heads out of their asses on that one.

All in all, windows 10 is free. So, as long as you don't have a lot to lose on your system, there's no reason not to try it out. But after 3 weeks of using nothing but windows 10, I really feel like I need to wait for the OS to mature. Perhaps when they release windows 10 server, I'll dive back into it. Until then, I think Windows 8.1 is going to be my day-to-day. Or maybe I'll finally find a home with Linux.

Last edited:
It might be my imagination, but I feel like there is this millisecond or two of lag while opening certain files that wasn't there in 8.1. Tin foil hat, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to some service logging everything.

I like it so far

I discovered a network monitor thing, when you double click the Network icon, go to Settings and click Data Usage then Details, it shows a breakdown of programs and how much data was transferred

And the Netflix app, playing the test video in the app gives actual 1080p and higher audio bitrate compared to 720p and lower audio on Firefox/Chrome

W8.1 loaded up in 1:20 seconds. W10 in 2:30. That's 1 minute 10 seconds slower on my system. Somethins no right Lucy!

Maybe get a processor that's not over 5 years old and was never really that good?

No offense, but the i7 930 was and still is one helluva processor to this day, if your comment is directed at that person based on the specs in their sig. Also, the boot process is not all that CPU bound, as a fact, it's storage based more than anything else. While that person doesn't have an SSD apparently (which would speed things up considerably) I've noted on my Latitude laptop with an i5-2540m CPU + 7200 rpm drive that Windows 10 does take a wee bit longer to boot the first few times - and if you're using a dual boot scenario it'll take even longer because it'll boot into the Windows 10 menu first so you can select the other OS and then REBOOT the machine to do it which is a big slowdown overall.

Anyway, his i7 930 vs your i7 2600K ain't all that different:

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-930-vs-Intel-Core-i7-2600K

I had a Dell Latitude D630 a few years ago with a 4200 rpm hard drive in it and a Core 2 Duo at 2.4 GHz that could cold boot - yes, I said cold boot - to a Windows 8 login screen in 7.2 seconds - I had friends with vastly more powerful machines and fast SSDs that couldn't do that and were baffled at how that little laptop did it but it did so... the CPU is one small part in the boot process and certainly not anything that determines the overall speed of the booting, the storage and RAM are vastly more important in that happening. This Latitude cold boots Windows 10 to the login screen in about 27 seconds. It boots to Windows 7 login screen in 18, so go figure that one out.

Took the plunge and upgraded one of my win 7 keys. Seriously hated 8. Can't say I gave 8.1 a chance. Win 10 is good. They've fixed the annoying things about 8 that drove me nuts, and was a good overall compromise on giving us back the desktop while still keeping the tiles and the store.

My upgrade didn't really just work. I mean it completed successfully, but the graphics and desktop was all sorts of fubared. Dual monitors, graphics drivers, display fusion, etc. Was just a train wreck. Regardless, I was planning on a clean install from an ISO so started down that path. Clean install went off without a hitch. I did install Kaspersky AV and it broke the tiles. Then I started getting errors. Formatted and clean installed again. Second time around worked like a champ (with no Kaspersky installed) - everything appears to be working well, and I don't feel like an early adopter guinea pig.

Few little nuances: I can't seem to get the edge browser to hold it's last window position. It keeps changing size and position on each startup (seemingly at random) It's a little annoying having to resize and position it every time I open it up. Also, I've noticed that some metro apps like to close unexpectedly (crash?) if I'm hot switching between two accounts. Lastly, I'll be dammed if I can figure out that photo metro app. On the first install, I could change/add sources. On this final install, it only looks at pictures in my pictures folder. I'm wondering if that's a result of an update... Either way most of the metro apps are kind of garbage and they got removed (music, photo, calendar, etc.) Mail isn't bad.

Haven't tried setting up a backup - hopefully that's back ala win 7 style. Drivers all installed fine. In fact - it's the only OS ever to "just work" with my Canon Pixma 980 wireless printer. That's a feat in itself.

Good migration - not perfect, but not bad either. My recommendation for anyone on the fence would be to "go for it"

W8.1 loaded up in 1:20 seconds. W10 in 2:30. That's 1 minute 10 seconds slower on my system. Somethins no right Lucy!

The CPU wouldn't be the issue. But, if that WD Blue HDD is his boot drive, that could be interesting. I've not tested it much. But I'm suspicious Win10 chugs the boot drive a little harder than 8.1. On an SSD, this make a relatively small difference.

I can't seem to get the edge browser to hold it's last window position. It keeps changing size and position on each startup (seemingly at random) It's a little annoying having to resize and position it every time I open it up.

It won't, and don't expect Microsoft to fix that anytime soon. It's one of my biggest gripes about Edge - for many years between Windows 95 and XP Internet Explorer would fail to re-open in the same place twice and it frustrated the hell out of me. They finally got it fixed in Vista, and 7, and 8/8.1 but now with 10 it seems like Edge just craps on it all over again.

I haven't even bothered to see what happens with IE in Windows 10 (it's in there in the Windows Accessories folder someplace) but I'll bet it forgets position as well, maybe someone can test that and report on it - I don't run Windows 10 so I can't speak for it presently.

I haven't even bothered to see what happens with IE in Windows 10 (it's in there in the Windows Accessories folder someplace) but I'll bet it forgets position as well, maybe someone can test that and report on it - I don't run Windows 10 so I can't speak for it presently.

Just tried this of my Surface Pro 3. Edge seems to behave live opening a new cascading window, just to right and down from the previous window. IE seems to open in the same spot every time. Just a quick test of 5 opens and closes.

Some of you may find this interesting, package installing via powershell: http://mikefrobbins.com/2014/04/07/...th-the-oneget-module-in-powershell-version-5/ - and how to use chocolatey for a source: http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2014/11/5-minute-setup-using-oneget-chocolatey-windows-10/ - seems the final powershell changed a little and now you would use wildcards or get a literal search. For people who don't know what this does it allows you to install software from the command line, like chrome/vlc/7-zip and tons more.

Last edited:
in one of my working machines I'm using only a spinner HDD WD blue 1TB disk and the machine only take about ~15 seconds to full load desktop 1 minute of load time its just insane for any OS, so Seriously MelonSplitter have a big problem with his rig.

lol installeeed!! :D hahaha my god what a fucking abomination, holy shit, DUDE! hahahahaha!!! yo! holy fuck dude, fucking people who are still using that almost nine years old crap called win 7 (vista sp2) will be ANGRY bro!! when the initial shock and denial wears off and they realize they waited a lot of time for this, hahahaha!!!! fucking hell bro, holy shit, LOL!!!

lol installeeed!! :D hahaha my god what a fucking abomination, holy shit, DUDE! hahahahaha!!! yo! holy fuck dude, fucking people who are still using that almost nine years old crap called win 7 (vista sp2) will be ANGRY bro!! when the initial shock and denial wears off and they realize they waited a lot of time for this, hahahaha!!!! fucking hell bro, holy shit, LOL!!!

Isn't drunk posting against the rules?

the white king-god never drinks! :D

Well, from one Straight Edger to another, I'm quite liking Win10. Got Home on my laptop and Pro on my desktop. My laptop needed a fresh install since there was some buggy shit going on with the Win7 install on that as it was and that got even worse with the in-place upgrade. My desktop took the in-place upgrade like a champ.

Well, from one Straight Edger to another, I'm quite liking Win10. Got Home on my laptop and Pro on my desktop. My laptop needed a fresh install since there was some buggy shit going on with the Win7 install on that as it was and that got even worse with the in-place upgrade. My desktop took the in-place upgrade like a champ.

well cool, cool. its just my initial impressions. i installed on this machine here http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1722366&highlight= i downloaded the x64pro iso and created an usb install drive with rufus, booted from the usb, wiped the two win 8 partitions and did a clean install. there was no hidden shit or anything, it is pretty straightforward as long you pay attention as where to click. refused to put a serial number, refused to put an email account, disabled pretty much everything in the settings, registered as my personal pc under the name of Bozo and the thing was on to the desktop then i force kms activated the sucker. shit installed drivers and updated a lot of shit on itself and then i restarted and started toying with it. now since this is the kitchen notebook and its annoying to play because of the small screen and trackpad bullshit im setting it on my main pc desk with an old g5 mouse and a dell 2410 display that i have laying around in a box somewhere, usually i dont sell old pc shit so i have plenty of spare whatever computer crap in my house. will post further impressions along this week. ;)

Back