Windows 10: Your thoughts so far?

My first thought: Same old shit. I am going to attempt a clean install now.

For the people that are having issues with installing Nvidia drivers what cards are you running? Are they pre Maxwell?

my 3 monitor setup wouldnt let me install nvidia driver for my 680, but a reboot installed microsofts version and seems to work fine so far. I've only played kotor 2 so far though so no telling.

Windows 10 review: Hold off if you use Windows 7

http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...-10-review-hold-off-if-you-use-windows-7.html

I agree with most of the points made in that article...I'm in no rush to 'upgrade'...at the very least I'll wait till Threshold 2 is released in the Fall or until the first DX12 title is released...the forced updates aspect really is stupid and they need to change that pronto...on Day 1 it's already caused major issues

What exactly about W10 can't you tolerate. W8 was a more refined W7 ( sans metro ) and W10 is a more refined W8. The W7 people are starting to sound like the 60 year olds that live out in the sticks refusing to let go of 98SE/XP.

Well if you'd work on the reading comprehension, if I stated that I can't find one thing to like about it, that means I pretty much can't tolerate any of it. Change just for the sake of change is never a good thing. Windows 10 provides no tangible benefits to me and my rock solid Windows 7 installations across a wide variety of hardware configurations, absolutely nothing.

But I did find one thing to like about Windows 10:

In just the past 12 hours I've made ~$1300 in support calls from people that are already having problems with this upgrade to Windows 10 on top of their previous installs and it appears there's no end in sight so, mo' money mo' money mo' money.

Thanks, Microsoft! :D

the changes made in Windows 8/10 have been more drastic then any other OS...so the comparisons to people sticking with Windows XP are not as valid...the touchscreen/tablet era has changed desktop environments

I run dual monitors on GTX 980. Had 8.1 Pro + nvidia drivers installed prior to upgrade. Upgraded to 10, then installed latest nvidia drivers. Zero issues.

Same here, no issues so far with sli or nvidia drivers not installing.

Upgrade went pretty smooth. Only thing that messed up was my two symbolic linked games (to my ssds) have to be redone

Same old shit, they moved around a bunch of things, changed the interface, hid things etc.

My pluses and minuses so far after only using it a few hours (coming from Win 8.1) :

+ I do like the way I can customize the start menu, it's actually semi useful now, but the Windows 7 start menu is still superior.
+ All of my drivers have been installed automatically, chipset, webcam, audio controller, network, video, etc.
+ "Use small taskbar buttons" is nice, hides the Cortana search and gives you more taskbar/desktop space.
+ I like how nearly pixel thin the side and bottom bars are for each window, but the top title bar wastes tons of space
+ Charms bar is gone

- Window title bar sizes are too large IMO and waste space (a lot of empty space between text too). I imagine this is to make it more tablet friendly, but perhaps the window title bar sizes should be adjusted according to what mode the user is in - Tablet / Desktop mode.

- File explorer should have a title bar color so you can distinguish the boundaries between it and the "File, Computer, View" menues below it.

- Microsoft Edge has problems transitioning when you want to drag a tab to a new window, it spawns a new window in a default spot instead of where you dragged it. Also when you try combine a new window tab to an already existing set of window tabs, it works but also leaves behind a "new tab" window. Also the settings leave a lot to be desired, there's very few to adjust. It also suffers from "bar size" problems that make it look like its supposed to be used on tablets. If Microsoft wants us to use this on the desktop these types of things should be adjusted accordingly.

- BIG FUCKING MINUS Can't disable updates, can only "defer" them for a couple months, the old system was better to me because I was able to review each update manually and decide accordingly. I can see stuff breaking for people in the future because of this.

- The new update system is able to download updates from other network machines and users on the internet. You can turn it off, but it defaults to "on" with both local network machines AND other internet based machines. Not a very good idea IMO.

- Not a fan of the further "tabletification" of settings and menus, it's like they're trying to lead us away from the finely tuned desktop GUI's that worked so well and towards the tablet versions when in reality BOTH should still exist and just be spawned in their respective modes.

- The activation system is mysterious. I upgraded my Windows 8.1 install and my Windows 10 activated - fine. I then used Microsofts Windows 10 USB creation tool to create a USB install media and booted from it. I then immediately formatted my freshly upgraded system and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto it using that USB key I created. It asked me for my key a few times and I clicked Skip, when the install complete and I booted to the desktop, I checked my license and it says "activated". I presume there's license info on this USB key created from the old upgrade, and if that's the case then I dread what would happen if I lost the USB drive. This all happened on an older system that doesn't have any sort of license key embedded. All in all I have no idea what the fuck happened

It feels like a GUI update to Windows 8.1, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not exactly ground breaking either. If I had to choose between this and Windows 8/8.1, I'd probably choose this, so I would consider it a net improvement however relatively minor.

Last edited:
For the most part, good so far. upgrade went off without a hitch, all my programs came over and run as well (Office 2013, Adobe CS6 and

Tried World of Warships, works, tried STO, works, Tried Battlefield major skipping on some stuff. Also Operation Metro map is now really really dark?!?!?. I will try a reinstall of the game...if not, I smell a rat.

All in all I can't complain about it, but I still feel it needs some more spit and polish.

- Microsoft Edge has problems transitioning when you want to drag a tab to a new window, it spawns a new window in a default spot instead of where you dragged it.l

As simple as it seems, that is my largest gripe right now about Windows 10: Edge opens in a different window position every damned time I start it. I mean, IE would do that with Windows 95 through basically Windows Vista, I swear it did and I was always pissed about it when it happened. Then with Windows 7 I was delighted to discover I could set a size and position and voila, it stuck and was almost always dependable. I never used 8 or 8.1 because teh suk IMO and now with Windows 10 and this Edge thing...

Holy crap, Microsoft, can't you get that fixed once and for all? :D

- BIG FUCKING MINUS Can't disable updates, can only "defer" them for a couple months, the old system was better to me because I was able to review each update manually and decide accordingly

that used to be a big minus for me but the more I think about it deferring it for 3 months is fine as any broken update gets discovered within a few weeks so that 3 month time period is fine...I usually install all non-driver updates 2 weeks after they are released

** I'm assuming a 'couple of months' means at least 3 months

Windows 10 upgrade went smoother on my notebook then the Windows 8 which completely choked up and crashed and forced me to do a clean install, that is not including my desktop where I've been running the Insiders various builds for the past month with varying degrees of success (mostly getting better with each build). Right now its running flawlessly on my notebook which downright amazes me considering how half asses Lenovo has been with the driver support for this particular model notebook. No more need for Start8, Cortana is great minus some issues with half asses Spanish pronunciation of streets and towns around here which means I still have to type in those stores names (like Goleta for example) and everything else is also running great.

sucks that I have to ditch my sound card for onboard audio if I want to use Windows 10 as my sound card manufacturer went out of business (Auzentech) and there are no driver updates

I've tried upgrading 3 different computers so far in a variety of different ways. None of them have been successful.

This is my favorite error message i've gotten so far.

R7WOAM4.jpg

the forced updates aspect really is stupid and they need to change that pronto…

No, it's not, and no, they don't. Possibly the biggest reason why Windows XP was bent over and abused for a decade was because most people didn't install updates, or installed them very rarely. There's no reason to defer a system update more than a couple of weeks; people would defer months or years. Update your fricking software.

Now if only Microsoft would break legacy compatibility once and for all.

Overall, no problems on the upgrade (Windows 10 Enterprise Edition). Everything seems to work fine. I still am not a fan of the ads popping up, or the stuff on the search bar. I hid it, but I'd rather disable that garbage. At least I can access my start menu now without a third party plugin.

My system does boot slower though with Windows 10. Also, I'm not quite a fan of Edge yet. I'll give it some time.

Overall, no problems on the upgrade (Windows 10 Enterprise Edition). Everything seems to work fine. I still am not a fan of the ads popping up, or the stuff on the search bar. I hid it, but I'd rather disable that garbage. At least I can access my start menu now without a third party plugin.

My system does boot slower though with Windows 10. Also, I'm not quite a fan of Edge yet. I'll give it some time.

Mind if I ask if you were using Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Enterprise to begin with for the upgrade? Was this some MSDN/TechNet edition or from a legitimate business/commercial thing? And have you checked to verify that yes the Windows 10 Enterprise upgrade is now activated properly?

Whatever you do, if you have the cisco vpn client installed make sure you remove it first. If you don't you will end up with no "network connections" and have to roll back to uninstall it as it can't be done in win10.

My god, the touchpad scrolling / response on the Surface Pro 3 (with type cover), especially in Edge, is glorious in W10. I'd almost *gasp* say its on par with Apple now, IMHO.

Mind if I ask if you were using Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Enterprise to begin with for the upgrade? Was this some MSDN/TechNet edition or from a legitimate business/commercial thing? And have you checked to verify that yes the Windows 10 Enterprise upgrade is now activated properly?

From Windows 8.1 Enterprise. And it's from MSDN. And, it is properly activated. (It took awhile for Visual Studio 2015 though to allow me to download the Win10 SDK).

anyone figure out how to pin the recycle bin, my computer, or folders to the live tiles thing?

You should be able to right click and select "Pin to start". It works on any folder, library, hard drive, etc. Here's my start menu with all my folder shortcuts set up:

YDnngRJ.png

Ok, my first :( item: they removed the display brightness quick slider feature. For the Surface Pro 3 that feature was a godly. Now you can only click the brightness button to switch between 25, 50, 75, or 100% brightness. Same deal with the volume quick slider. Bummer!

You should be able to right click and select "Pin to start". It works on any folder, library, hard drive, etc. Here's my start menu with all my folder shortcuts set up:

ill reboot and give it a shot. i think it glitched out since i cant pin anything to it right now.

ya, rebooting fixed it. i can pin files/folders now.

Last edited:
Yah, apparently that's the solution (as expected) based on the other post made earlier in the thread. See, my experience with 8/8.1 and now 10 is still limited by some aspects 'cause I can't stand it, hence me stating I could be (and was) wrong. :D

I read someone say it is incompatible with many websites. WTF is the good of a browser that only works on some sites?

Internet Explorer is still in there in Windows 10, somewhere in the Accessories folder or widget or whatever the hell they're calling it nowadays. Edge will improve over time but so far it's just not all that and compatibility will be a big issue - especially considering it still identifies itself as Chrome, strangely enough.

Does not feel much different then 7 except for moving some links like MS update to different places.
The built in ISO mounter is nice, no longer really need alcohol for mounting game ISO's even though
most have no-dvd patches now.
FF tabs seem to load up a bit quicker and more smoothly due to the metro/aero over 7.

The task manager is greatly improved with more information, more slick and I like it better.

You lose your widgets and I like having my local temperature/weather right on the desktop for a quick look plus coretemp.

That said the start-weather in 10 is quick and has extra features like local doppler.

Great downfall so far is not having control over what updates you get and when you can install them even with 10 pro which I have.

3rd party drivers like Nvidia I'd rather they not download and install but notify me it exists and put it as optional for me to decide.

Did it take 5 hours or more for anyone else to install it, I downloaded the iso a while ago.

Did it take 5 hours or more for anyone else to install it, I downloaded the iso a while ago.

On my Dell Latitude E6420 (Intel Core i5-2540M at 2.6 GHz, 8GB of DDR3, 7200 rpm hard drive) I did an upgrade installation on top of Windows 7 Pro x64 fully updated in about 22 mins start to finish. I transferred the build 10240 ISO (which I acquired weeks ago when it was first released to Insider participants) to a 16GB USB 2.0 stick and ran the setup.exe while I was in Windows 7 so it would kickstart the upgrade process.

A clean install of Windows 10 Pro on the same hardware takes about 20 mins from the same USB stick, oddly enough. But that upgrade was very fast, faster than I expected considering I had been and continue to hear stories of people experiencing very long install times. I would suspect the upgrade installation times are closely coupled with how much software is installed on the machine when it happens.

My installs are fairly clean, I have maybe 8-10 applications installed at any given time - I know of one guy that has like 180 applications installed on his computer and I'm guessing he'll give this upgrade a go in the next few days and I suspect I'll be getting a call and making money from it too. :D

5 hours seems a bit excessive but, I suppose it happens.

I've got Enterprise on my trusty old 980x 3x 680 GTX 3 screen desktop, Pro on my Surface Pro 3 and Home on my Surface 3. The first two clean installs and the last an upgrade install from the 8.1 upgrade app. No major problems thus far though the Surface 3 seems to be using a bit more CPU than under 8, a few other things to sort out.

Pretty happy with how fast I went from USB boot to installer to logged in (maybe 10 minutes tops?) Was also installing to a brand new 850 EVO so probably sped things up a bit more.

Only gripes so far are no sound drivers for my sound card (not MS's fault Creative is not releasing drivers yet) so it took a few reboots to get my sound card working, and what appears to be me needing to adjust display settings as text currently is very fuzzy on my 1080p monitor but looks crystal clear on my 4k monitor.

Didn't need to bother with upgrading as I have a Dreamspark account through school so I got Win 10 edu edition and multiple (home/pro) edition from there.

I know this may sound stupid but, It's there any way to change the Clock format to 12hours instead of 24hours?...

In the other hand, so far impressed really to how fast and smooth went the installation process, but also impressed how well are running certain games actually versus windows 7, definitively the resource management its really improved specially in the CPU side.

I know this may sound stupid but, It's there any way to change the Clock format to 12hours instead of 24hours?...

In the other hand, so far impressed really to how fast and smooth went the installation process, but also impressed how well are running certain games actually versus windows 7, definitively the resource management its really improved specially in the CPU side.

It's 1 am here so i dont know if the setting changes it for a leading zero on the time or military time, but did you look at the options here?:

2015-07-30_01-23-23.png

check the settings where the cursor takes you

Open Start and type "region", assuming you are talking about the clock on the system tray click the "Short time" dropdown and select "h:mm tt". If it's something else just play with the region settings until it suits your needs.

Back