Windows 10 May update version 2004 or 20H1

Col_Temp

n00b
Just installed it on a Dell at work. Everything seems to work fine except Dell Support Assistant won't run. I only use it as an easy way to update the latest drivers and bios. No biggee.
You still use that obnoxious program. That is one of the first things I get rid of. The HP one is even worse. Both are resource hogs.
Only time I allow it on is when I';ve got an actual support case for something that just isn't making sense and need actual support.

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
Only problem is the SSD can still be somewhat unreliable. Make sure you have a good backup and don't over hammer the drive with numerous read write going on all the time.
Only thing SSD's are not as good for is if you have lots of pictures, videos, and music. those files chew up a lot of space and SSD are still quite expensive compared to good ol SATA drives. Especially as you get to the larger GB sizes.
I don't do warez so I don't have too many terabytes of data to store :)

The SSD reliability has been greater than spinning drives for quite a long time now. Only weak part of them is data retention in long term storage when unplugged. R/W IO is not a problem for any modern SSD as endurance tests and datacenter statistics show.

Bowman15

[H]ard|Gawd
You still use that obnoxious program. That is one of the first things I get rid of. The HP one is even worse. Both are resource hogs.
Only time I allow it on is when I';ve got an actual support case for something that just isn't making sense and need actual support.
Hell yes, that makes it so much easier for installing drivers/bios on both Dell and HP equipment now. And yup they are obnoxious so that is the reason I turn them off after I'm done checking. They both have umpteen installs for all sorts of things now. Just as bad as the old 3rd party malware crap they used to have on there. You need to learn to adapt and use your time more efficiently.

schizrade

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't do warez so I don't have too many terabytes of data to store :)

The SSD reliability has been greater than spinning drives for quite a long time now. Only weak part of them is data retention in long term storage when unplugged. R/W IO is not a problem for any modern SSD as endurance tests and datacenter statistics show.
Yes, gotta agree with B00nie here. Anyone that says SSD's are unreliable is FOS. I have about 100 SAS SSDs working as high use caching drives (3.5+ DWPD) and about 1000 spinning SAS and NLSAS drives in my data center and i have yet (knock on wood) have had an SSD fail. I get about 1 or 2 spinning drives go out a month. Now that being said the ages of the spinning drives range from 0-6 years, so the curve does bend towards age, but again SSD, stil lmore reliable.

All our desktops and laptops are SSD and NVMe now, and we used to regularly swap out machines with dead HDDs when they were spinners. Its SUPER rare now.

IdiotInCharge

[H]F Junkie
I'll say that it depends on the SSD.

Cheap TLC and most QLC is going to throttle like mad under large sustained writes. I've done this plenty of times myself; at the same time, for read intensive workloads, which represent nearly all consumer storage use, this is a non-issue. I was trying to use a TLC drive as a RAID write cache, and well, that was a bad idea!

djoye

2[H]4U
I ended up just wiping my OS drive and doing a clean install with 2004 and it has been working fine.

I never did get any info from Windows update and after manually trying to get 1909 to upgrade to 2004 with the update assistant, I noticed I had two recovery partitions, one at the beginning and one at the end of the OS drive. I've had this drive since 2016 and I'm wondering if early Win10 put the recovery partition in the front because I initially did a clean install on the drive, not a clone. I never did dig far into the logs, it would just silently rollback after the first reboot; I'm assuming that years of feature updates took its toll and threw off the 2004 update.