Windows 10 1909

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Microsoft is killing us all with these late night builds, but, oh well! We are about to hit the end of the road with the development of Windows 10 20H1 - the next major feature update. The Windows maker has already introduced this version to the Slow ring and is now just sending some final builds to those in the Fast ring. The RTM build is expected to arrive next month.

Just few hours ago, Microsoft released Windows 10 November 2019 Update - an extension of the May 2019 Update - to the public with a slew of performance and quality improvements. Here is the list of features and the guide on how to install it three different ways. Considering November 2019 Update aka version 1909 a Service Pack-like update, Windows 10 20H1 will be the actual feature-filled upgrade coming after version 1903."

Source: https://wccftech.com/microsoft-releases-windows-10-20h1-build-19023/

Hmm.

I think my main Desktop install is still stuck on 1803, saying it cant upgrade due to some compatibility issue.

No unusual or controversial hardware or software installed on it as far as I am aware.

I know I could force the install by doing it manually, but I ahve never bothered.

I guess as of today 1803 is officially EOL, so maybe I should...

The most uncommon “incompatibility” is a couple of the stranger wifi chips.

Well, what do you know.

After a year of "incompatibility" it updated to 1903 on boot today.

Took quite a bit longer than usual upgrades as well.

At least it is done.

It will be interesting to see how much this helps out the newer AMD CPU's. The change log indicates that more demanding tasks are now put on 'preferred' cores on a CPU.

Windows 10 20H1 will be the actual feature-filled upgrade coming after version 1903."
The only thing that I notice with each update is how many convenience and administrator features they take away. Since W10 was out they only made it worse with the updates there wasn't a single thing added that I considered good. (If we don't count the things they given back after taking them away) By now they made setting up even a damn printer so fragmented that it is really frustrating. They remove features from old reliable control panel apps, and migrate them to an inconvenient settings app that is dumb AF. But they don't take everything. So now you have to access some options from the old menu in the control panel, and some in the new settings app. The same goes for networking configuration only that happened in an earlier update. Oh and ofc it also happened to screen resolution and monitor settings as well.

I have no idea who on earth thinks these changes are for the better.

The only thing that I notice with each update is how many convenience and administrator features they take away. Since W10 was out they only made it worse with the updates there wasn't a single thing added that I considered good. (If we don't count the things they given back after taking them away) By now they made setting up even a damn printer so fragmented that it is really frustrating. They remove features from old reliable control panel apps, and migrate them to an inconvenient settings app that is dumb AF. But they don't take everything. So now you have to access some options from the old menu in the control panel, and some in the new settings app. The same goes for networking configuration only that happened in an earlier update. Oh and ofc it also happened to screen resolution and monitor settings as well.

I have no idea who on earth thinks these changes are for the better.

HP printer drivers under Windows 10 [shudder]. The bane of my existence.

Do I use the driver that rarely works reliably or the printer 'app'?

Hmm.

I think my main Desktop install is still stuck on 1803, saying it cant upgrade due to some compatibility issue.

No unusual or controversial hardware or software installed on it as far as I am aware..

Mine didn't want to update either. Try again, it should tell you what is holding it up. Mine was battleeye (or something like that), that came packaged with Stalker shadow of Chernobyl (the first one). I just uninstalled it, rebooted. (Not like I ever played Stalker multiplayer anyway)

I did some update last night, so maybe I'm on 1909 now.

Is 1909 really tiny? I downloaded it on 2 machines, they rebooted and really didn't do much booting up, and now they are both on 1909 , Build 18363.476
Was on 1903 Build 18362.476 on both machines.

I guess this is going to be the thing for AMD

A CPU may have multiple “favored” cores (logical processors of the highest available scheduling class). To provide better performance and reliability, we have implemented a rotation policy that distributes work more fairly among these favored cores.

Is 1909 really tiny? I downloaded it on 2 machines, they rebooted and really didn't do much booting up, and now they are both on 1909 , Build 18363.476

1909 was made and updates like a cumulative update, a smaller and faster update. The major updates we are used to are really just a full clean installs of the new version with your all your data moved back over. Really kinda like how its done, feels fresh after a major update, may have to install a couple drivers, no big deal. My systems have gone through several major updates and all are still clean and fast running. No need to do a tedious format and reinstall anymore, at least for me, zero issues.

Last edited:
Those with update issues - my two main pc's also were not updating to 1903, gave some error when starting install. I wanted to be on 1903 before 1909 hit, like to give em' some time to work out the kinks before I install the latest upgrade. I had to download and use the Microsoft Win 10 Update Assistant, all went perfect with it.

Give it a try if your having issues with the normal Windows Updates, it is on 1909 now btw. - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I've updated 3 of 6 personal machines, nottaproblemo, will do lappy's and tabs tonite after work, hope all goes well there too :)

My IT guys at work says they will be doing structured rollout testing this week (400+ machines) and then deploy it if all is good.....

It seems to be really tiny. My machine did an update last night and the longest part of it was a double reboot where it started loading Windows and applying updates, finished the application of update and restarted right there instead of finishing the boot into Windows. After that my machine was showing 1909.

Laptop #1 updated with no problems in about 5 minutes. It will be interesting to see what laptop#2 does as I think that is the one that is still running pre 1903.

I guess this is going to be the thing for AMD
I was curious when I read that. Is it a way to get around "gaming mode" for threadripper processors or is it going to benefit all multi-core cpus? (I'm still using my Ryzen 1700)

I was curious when I read that. Is it a way to get around "gaming mode" for threadripper processors or is it going to benefit all multi-core cpus? (I'm still using my Ryzen 1700)

I assume it means it will take more advantage of per-core boosting/OCing like on the Ryzen 2000 and 3000 series chips, where you can see in the Ryzen Master app which cores are the fastest (with the star and dot indicators). I know the 1000 series chips do not support this at least in the Ryzen Master app, so I assume there's no boosting or OCing on a per-core basis on those chips like there are on the newer gens.

well my single core score in cinebench is considerably higher in 1903 compared to ltsc so they've fixed the thread scheduling before 1909, will upgrade and see if there's any more improvement.

I'm going to let this one bake a bit before upgrading. A smaller update that seems to fix a few issues while adding some newer capabilities. Wait for the drivers to catch up and then give it a go.

interface is so gross... WTF windows, like they aren't even trying anymore

This update wrecked my Sound Blaster drivers Sound Blaster Command so I went back to Sound Blaster Connect 2. I mean it was kinda sketchy anyway to have new Soundblaster drivers
work with the older AE-5 card anyway.

1909 killed my Realtek drivers, but that's not really a surprise. Other than that I'm not seeing any issues.

The Search in the File Explorer doesn't work anymore. nothing happens when you click in it so you can't type.

The Search in the File Explorer doesn't work anymore. nothing happens when you click in it so you can't type.

It works for me.

fart.jpg

No problems with 1909 so far.

I got 1909 on my laptop no problem, seconds to install.

Tried to get 1909 on my desktop and I got an error message about Battleye (apparently PUBG anti-cheat?) then my computer rebooted numerous times and I was greeted with the typical "hello, we're just setting up a few things for you" multi-minute experience. Then, after all that, it turns out I somehow upgraded to Build 19013.vb_release.191025-1609.
I turned off windows 10 beta builds years ago.

everything seems to be working fine now, except that it killed my primocache cache, but that won't take long to rebuild.

Back