Will XBOX 360 look good on 2405FPW?

mathesar said:
Looks nice on the 2405FPW , looks like it'l be nice for us FW900 users as well (pic) ;)

FW900? Is that that 24" widescreen crt?

Does the xbox automatically send the black bars to the monitor? That monitor is 16:10 and you can't do 1:1 scaling on a crt like you can on an lcd.

shadylx said:
what's with the txb watermark?

Sorry I didn't explain the pic very well I was in a hurry,what I meant by "looks like it'l be nice for us FW900 users as well" was the pic isn't from an actual xbox360 being connected to my monitor (dont have one yet) but instead its a picture from
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/screenshots/gallery/1/Xbox-360-System/p7/ ,however its a direct 720p screenshot from the system so it will probably look the same once its actually connected to the monitor, I had the monitor set at 1280x720 when taking the picture as well. Either way ill be sure to take some pics once I do get my xbox360 ,if I can find one on launch day :(

cunnelatio said:
FW900? Is that that 24" widescreen crt?

Does the xbox automatically send the black bars to the monitor? That monitor is 16:10 and you can't do 1:1 scaling on a crt like you can on an lcd.

Yea its the model from this thread. The monitor is 16:10 so 720p has the black bars by default ,you can also manualy stretch the screen horizontaly or verticaly if you wanted to but I prefer the proper aspect w/ the black bars. the monitor treats 4:3 the same way, for example it displays black bars on the sides when playing pc games that dont support widescreen.

I don't get it. If LCDs are supposed to run at native resolutions to provide the best picture and response times, why is it that the 2405fpw can run at a resolution other then 1920x1200 ( 720p- 1280x720) and still have no response time issues with the xbox 360? Why doesn't native resolution take effect when playing the 360 at 720p?

Klync said:
Holy mota of lord :eek: Can X360 hook up on a Panna plasma tv?
Wife will kill me, if I attempt to set it up on the plasma. Oh well Dell here I come.

You won't hook up your 360 to your nice plasma because your wife won't like it? I say tell her to chill and learn to like it. :D

I hooked mine up to the 2405fpw, using the component cables, and turning the xbox to 1080i with the cable switched to HDTV, and it looks like crap. The blacks are all crushed and the whites are way to bright. i played with the colour and brightness settings etc, and everything looks like garbage. (except for the dashboard) but the games, look really ugly, nothing like those pics posted above. I'm still looking into it, perhaps i will try the vga cable. But on my HDTV, everything looks AMAZING!

anyone else had any luck with the 2405fpw?

PiNPOiNT said:
I hooked mine up to the 2405fpw, using the component cables, and turning the xbox to 1080i with the cable switched to HDTV, and it looks like crap. The blacks are all crushed and the whites are way to bright. i played with the colour and brightness settings etc, and everything looks like garbage. (except for the dashboard) but the games, look really ugly, nothing like those pics posted above. I'm still looking into it, perhaps i will try the vga cable. But on my HDTV, everything looks AMAZING!

anyone else had any luck with the 2405fpw?

that sounds like you have one of the component video cables swapped. most likely the luminance cable (Y component) with one of the others.

KingZim said:
I don't get it. If LCDs are supposed to run at native resolutions to provide the best picture and response times, why is it that the 2405fpw can run at a resolution other then 1920x1200 ( 720p- 1280x720) and still have no response time issues with the xbox 360? Why doesn't native resolution take effect when playing the 360 at 720p?

Right about column a, but not so much about column b.

In other words, changing resolution on an LCD monitor does not effect the response time. Regardless of the resolution, the pixels have the same physical characteristics (rising and falling rate).

The reason why the picture degrades when it's not on the native resolution is because the same amount of pixels are being shown.

My .02.

Tried my 360 with the 2405fpw last night, and overall it worked great. Switched from 480p to 720p to 1080i, and all worked fine... and I could see the changes in resolution from the different sizes of the Xbox "menus" on the screen.

What troubles me is some "horizontal banding" I'm getting. It's kinda "pink lines" showing up between the regular video. It's not really "distinctive", but it's obvious enough that anyone could see it. After watching a couple different games video, and seeing it in different places with 720p, I switched to 1080i and it seemed to be better. But I think it was still there from time to time.

Not sure what's causing it, if a VGA Adapter is a good idea and would improve the situation, etc. So I'm hoping this thread or one of the few on other sites might provide an answer.

magnetik said:
that sounds like you have one of the component video cables swapped. most likely the luminance cable (Y component) with one of the others.

Thanks ill give that a shot tonight,
when i had it hooked up at work today, i hooked up the green and blue backwards, and no picture came up, so ill triple check that i do it correctly on the 2405 and see what happens

Hey All,
The component has the optical 5.1 audio connector. If I want to use VGA cable where do I plug my optical 5.1 sound then?

Please don't tell me I can't use optical 5.1 when I have VGA cable plugged in.

So I just picked up the VGA cable for the Xbox 360 and hooked it up to my 2405FPW. It is too sweet. :D

My question is, what would be the best resolution to set the Xbox 360 to? I currently have it set at 1280x768 which is a 16:10 resolution if I'm not mistaken. The maximum resolution you can set is 1360 x 768, would that be a better bet, or would there be some stretching involved?

FYI, since it was brought up earlier, the VGA cable has the same optical out as the HD Component cables. And as an added bonus, also included is a stereo pair > 1/8" (headphone jack) adapter so you can hook up most computer speakers with the quickness. All I needed was an 1/8" female/female barrel.

Night Fox said:
So I just picked up the VGA cable for the Xbox 360 and hooked it up to my 2405FPW. It is too sweet. :D

My question is, what would be the best resolution to set the Xbox 360 to? I currently have it set at 1280x768 which is a 16:10 resolution if I'm not mistaken. The maximum resolution you can set is 1360 x 768, would that be a better bet, or would there be some stretching involved?

It doesnt matter. Its only going to work at resolutions the specific game supports. At this point, thats pretty much 720P for all games, or 1280x720. Even if you set it to 1360x768, then load up a game and check your displays OSD, it will say its running at 1280x720.

No matter what you chose, there will be stretching. The 2405 is a 16:10 monitor, but the 360 is putting out a 16:9 resolution. You either get stretching or black bars. The thing is though, it is stretching very little. On my 2005fp, I dont even notice it. Play with it stretched, and if you notice it just set the scaling to 1:1 and play with black bars.

^^ Thanks for the tip.

I really had a [H]ard on to get it hooked up to the 2405 after seeing the pics that were floating around. I especially wanted to do it after finding out my HDTV is ghetto and doesn't do 720p and 1080i looks like garbage, at least with the X360...

But it is a few years old and is a standard rear-projection set, so its days are numbered anyways. ;)

As someone who bought the VGA cable for his 360 yesterday, I’d like to check in and say that I’m very disappointed. I plugged it into my 2405 and the first thing I noticed was that the colors seemed really washed out compared to the vibrant colors the component cables provided. Besides that, the image wasn’t nearly as crisp. Changing the display settings to 1360x768 and 1280x720 results in the same washed out image. Is this something I would have to adjust in my monitor settings?

As it stands now, the image through the component cables looks worlds better than the VGA. I fear that I might have wasted $40 on something I had hoped would help me get more out of my 360. I bought this because several people on here and other boards seemed to think the VGA cable would provide a bit of a boost for the 2405 over component. Could it be possible that I have a bad cable? :(

Pietaster said:
As someone who bought the VGA cable for his 360 yesterday, I’d like to check in and say that I’m very disappointed. I plugged it into my 2405 and the first thing I noticed was that the colors seemed really washed out compared to the vibrant colors the component cables provided. Besides that, the image wasn’t nearly as crisp. Changing the display settings to 1360x768 and 1280x720 results in the same washed out image. Is this something I would have to adjust in my monitor settings?

As it stands now, the image through the component cables looks worlds better than the VGA. I fear that I might have wasted $40 on something I had hoped would help me get more out of my 360. I bought this because several people on here and other boards seemed to think the VGA cable would provide a bit of a boost for the 2405 over component. Could it be possible that I have a bad cable? :(

I don't own a 2405FPW but I also noted the faded / lack of contrast output of the Xbox360 VGA cable on my 24" FW900 CRT , however turning up the contrast and lowering brightness on the monitor helped significantly, it's just now whenever I switch back over to the PC input the screen is way to bright so im having to adjust it each time I switch between the two.

Overall it does seem the 360's VGA output isnt ideal..I shouldnt have to crank up the monitor's Contrast to 95 (normaly run it at 70 with my PC)

Few digicam shots (Xbox set at 1280x720 resolution):

Kameo 1
Kameo 2
Perfect Dark

Ive got the 2405 and just got the VGA cable today.

1. I have no contrast problems. The VGA cable looks the same as the component did in this regard. What i would recomed is set the Contrast adn Brightness optimally for the 360, then us the ATI or nvidia drivers to set the B/C for your computer display. I believe the latest drivers for both brands will support this. This way you are fine for both inputs. (It would be a nice feature to have these settings work on a 'per input' basis.)

2. The 2405 will not display 1280x720 properly. When you set the scaling option to "aspect" (this is what to use if you want full screen but black bars to preserve 16:9), 1280x720 does not maintain te proper aspect. When you use 1280x768, it works fine and actually fills up more of the screen with smaller black bars. This is technically 16:9.6. Problem i have with this is that since all games are rendering internally at 1280x720, youre scaling the image twice- once inside the box, once in the monitor.

Other than that, image quality appears to look the same. I'll do some more critical switching tomorrow but so far it looks fine. My intent was to use this cable in the office and then put the component with my big screen downstairs anyway so its fine for its purpose.

Over here in the UK X360s are extremely hard to get hold of even if you've preordered. I was never planning to get one, but I finally got tempted one day before the UK release date - a little too late to start thinking about preordering...

Nevertheless, I managed to get hold of one last night from a local guy who had preordered one too many. Seeing as there was a lot of discussion here about using the X360 on a 2405FPW I thought I'd post my findings.

My Setup
I used the standard component HD cable that came with the X360 Premium.

Image settings on the 2405FPW are as follows:
settings.jpg

I set the scaling to 1:1, so I could actually see the resolution the X360 was throwing out.

So, off to system settings to test the different resolutions...
res.jpg

All as to be expected. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand why some people are saying that to use 1:1 (i.e. no stretching) you need a VGA cable.

Dash at 1080i using component cable, 1:1 - http://www.weavo.net/x360/1080idash.jpg

Some more investigation...

Seeing as the dashboard maxes out at 720p anyway (and just scales up to 1080i), I created two images of vertical alternating black and white bars and viewed them through the X360 on my 2405FPW.

480p - http://www.weavo.net/x360/480pgif.gif
720p - http://www.weavo.net/x360/720pgif.gif

The results were interesting. :/

When the Xbox 360 was set to 480p:
- The vertical lines could be seen in 480pgif.gif.
- 720pgif.gif appears as a solid grey colour.

When the Xbox 360 was set to 720p:
- The vertical lines could be seen in 480pgif.gif.
- 720pgif.gif appears as a solid grey colour.

The only explanation could be that the 2405FPW converts incoming HD signals to 480p, and then scales them up again - as people have been suggesting. Can anyone with a VGA cable test this on their 2405FPW and post the results?

tornadotsunamilife said:
Looking very good. About your contrast problems, maybe create some kind of profile?

I got it sorted out, My monitor has a BNC and VGA input, I bought a BNC cable and moved my PC over to that and have the Xbox360 on the VGA input , The monitor remembers settings for each input so now when I switch between them it automaticly changes the contrast & brightness settings as well
icon14.gif

John said:
Final conclusion - the 2405FPW doesn't support component HD. It takes it down to 480p and then brings it back up again, like Dell said.

This is why I didn't bother to mess around and went straight for the VGA cable. ;)

ok.. lets forget about the xbox360 for a moment (since there is internal scaling going on)... if the component connection on the dell only supports 480p.. then I shouldn't notice much of a difference between a 1080i and a 480p signal from my comcast HD box? Well.. I notice not just a small difference.. but a dramatic one. Especially on pristine HD content like Monday Night Football. That doesn't count the people that noticed a difference w/ their xbox360's that posted pics here recently. Hmm..

Night Fox said:
This is why I didn't bother to mess around and went straight for the VGA cable. ;)
The world has gone mad at the moment - 360 VGA cables going for $100+ in the UK on eBay.

Looks like it's going to be a low-def Christmas for me.

magnetik said:
ok.. lets forget about the xbox360 for a moment (since there is internal scaling going on)... if the component connection on the dell only supports 480p.. then I shouldn't notice much of a difference between a 1080i and a 480p signal from my comcast HD box? Well.. I notice not just a small difference.. but a dramatic one. Especially on pristine HD content like Monday Night Football. That doesn't count the people that noticed a difference w/ their xbox360's that posted pics here recently. Hmm..
There's no internal scaling when the X360 is set to 720p though, and it's the same deal with that. It scales up component very nicely, but it isn't high def.

Here's a PGR3 shot at 1080i, with a slow shutter speed so you can see a few frames: http://www.weavo.net/x360/IMG_0940.JPG It's the same with any game. Horrible jagged edges.

There are only two possibilities -
1. You're not actually viewing high def.
2. Some 2405FPWs support it, some don't.

John said:
Final conclusion - the 2405FPW doesn't support component HD. It takes it down to 480p and then brings it back up again, like Dell said.

Proof
Original test image: http://www.itworks.com/hdtv/itworks-HDTV_720P.png
Test image on X360, 480p: http://www.weavo.net/x360/480.jpg
Test image on X360, 1080i: http://www.weavo.net/x360/1080.jpg

There's a slight difference in quality, but the "HD" shot isn't anywhere close to 720p.

How are you getting jpeg's on your Xbox360? Can I use a USB key?

John said:
The world has gone mad at the moment - 360 VGA cables going for $100+ in the UK on eBay.

Looks like it's going to be a low-def Christmas for me.

That sucks... they're in high supply over here. :confused:

John said:

Proof
Original test image: http://www.itworks.com/hdtv/itworks-HDTV_720P.png
Test image on X360, 480p: http://www.weavo.net/x360/480.jpg
Test image on X360, 1080i: http://www.weavo.net/x360/1080.jpg

There's a slight difference in quality, but the "HD" shot isn't anywhere close to 720p.

Does it look ANY different if you display that shot whilst running at 720P (not 1080i)? I don't quite get the logic with downscaling an image to 480P to just rescale it up again. Surely it's creating more work for itself, rather than just say taking a 720P image and upscaling it to fullscreen? Is some sort of extra technical wizardry required to display higher resolutions than 720x480 over component than there is over VGA?

I noticed this quote in a similar thread on the widescreengamingforum, from a reseller of Dell TFTs:-

"Great news guys. As I was saying ealier in the week, Dell say it's capable of it, but they won't support the issue. E.G If you break it, we never said it would work."

Here's a link to the thread: link

Finally, you do know there are jaggies in PGR3 don't you? I own a 32" HDTV and I can still see jaggies in the game in 720P native. Running it in photo mode eliminates next to all of them, but I'm pretty sure there's no more than 2xAA running during gameplay.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all this. I just wanted to throw these ideas into the mix, as you seem pretty adamant that 1080i nor 720P work properly on this screen. If there's users out there that can really see the difference - such as the guy who watches 1080i hd programs above - then surely there must be more to this.

The 2405 can definitely do at least 720p without downscaling -- at least the ones here in Canada. You don't need any funky testing to prove that -- the image quality from a 720p signal speaks for itself.

also let's not forget the "genesis" scaler used by the 2405fpw states in it's own specs that it supports 1080i deinterlacing. The link to the pdf document is somewhere in this thread. I would think that if it only supported 480p.. then I wouldn't notice a difference if I flipped my comcast box to 480p.. but my eyes don't lie. :) Who knows.. maybe there are 2405fpw revisions that can't do HD.. I do know though there is a dramatic difference when I flip back and forth on my 2405fpw... not "I think it looks better" but "omg, you can see wrinkles in their skin" kind of difference.

JonDo[H] said:
Does it look ANY different if you display that shot whilst running at 720P (not 1080i)? I don't quite get the logic with downscaling an image to 480P to just rescale it up again. Surely it's creating more work for itself, rather than just say taking a 720P image and upscaling it to fullscreen? Is some sort of extra technical wizardry required to display higher resolutions than 720x480 over component than there is over VGA?

I noticed this quote in a similar thread on the widescreengamingforum, from a reseller of Dell TFTs:-

"Great news guys. As I was saying ealier in the week, Dell say it's capable of it, but they won't support the issue. E.G If you break it, we never said it would work."

Here's a link to the thread: link

Finally, you do know there are jaggies in PGR3 don't you? I own a 32" HDTV and I can still see jaggies in the game in 720P native. Running it in photo mode eliminates next to all of them, but I'm pretty sure there's no more than 2xAA running during gameplay.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all this. I just wanted to throw these ideas into the mix, as you seem pretty adamant that 1080i nor 720P work properly on this screen. If there's users out there that can really see the difference - such as the guy who watches 1080i hd programs above - then surely there must be more to this.
720p looks identical to 1080i.

As for the jaggies in PGR3, I get them in PDZ too. I've seen 1:1 720p screengrabs before, and they were nothing like the jaggies I'm getting - it's exactly like 480p jaggies, scaled up to 1080i.

Can anyone with a 2405FPW take a photo of that test image, being displayed through their Xbox 360?

John,

Why not set the 360 to output 480P, then run those games. Do they look far worse than before?

Another reason I think the Dell can output 720P: with my old Xbox, I used to get incredibly poor image results when it was set to 480P. There would be horizontal line banding and the picture would look disastrous (Halo 2 was horrible). I actually thought that the PS2 looked better running at 480i!

I read elsewhere that it was an issue with the official Xbox component cable, which may have explained why it looked so dreadful. Also, I realised that there was a hell of a lot of scaling involved in upping 720x480 to 1920x1200. However, if I output the Xbox at 720P - in Soul Calibur II for instance - it looked great. No banding and a very sharp image all round. 1080i also looked very sharp within XBMC.

Unfortunately, I can't test this now as I sold on my 2405fpw a while back when I got my hdtv. However, I'm thinking of picking one up again as a 2nd screen for my 360 as well as my PC, which is why I'm very interested in this thread.

Just to add to this, I'm very interested in people's opinions of the Xbox 360 running on the 2405FPW. What do the rest of you guys think?

Cheers! :D

p.s. jaggies in PDZ... Yup, they are there too - on every screen I've tried :p They're just not TOO extreme. On the 2405fpw, have you tried turning down the sharpness? Does that help?

Hrm something isnt right here, As Ive said before im not using a 2405FPW but it looks like perhaps the Xbox360 should be the one to blame here? When I display the test pattern John mentions above (http://www.itworks.com/hdtv/itworks-HDTV_720P.png) on my Xbox360 I also dont get the last set of lines resolved on both my FW900 CRT and 32" CRT HDTV regardless if I set the Xbox to 720p or 1080i , Thoughts?

Heres some shots from my FW900 to show what I mean:

PC displaying the test image with the monitor set at 1280x720: pic

Xbox360 (VGA cable) displaying the same image set at 1280x720 in the dashboard: pic

Back