Will we ever see Nintendo games officially ported or developed for PC?

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
Here is my question to you all today and I want your honest opinion. Will we ever see Nintendo games officially ported or developed for PC? I know there have been some one offs and odd ball games for the PC before, that is ancient history, I'm talking about full fledged Super Mario Brothers Classics Collections, Hyrule Adventures: The Legend of Zelda, or a Pokemon MMO. Nintendo's current stance is as long as their portable consoles are kicking they don't see a point to it, but the fact is Nintendo is looking at the knives edge like Sega was a few years ago.

... you do realize Nintendo has sold more consoles this generation that Microsoft or Sony, right? There in nothing resembling the position Sega was before they stopped producing consoles.

And to answer your question, no. We'll never see any official Nintendo releases on the PC.

Never. I honestly think that Nintendo would go completely under before they'd start selling their software to other consoles/PC.

Knife's edge? LOL! I don't know where you got your information man, but Nintendo is nowhere near the situation Sega was in. Wii sales have slowed dramatically since so many have sold already it's kind of reached a saturation point where it can't keep pulling the numbers it used to. The 3DS hasn't been selling as well as everyone expected, but it is still selling well enough and the DSi is still pulling some numbers. Sega could have recovered, but they screwed themselves over by launching a console they had no hope of supporting long term, they simply didn't have the money to do and they pissed off a lot of publishers and developers. Nintendo has none of those problems and billions in cash and assets.

This isn't about Nintendo's current economical standing, but if we will see PC versions of our favorite titles. It is well known that Nintendo dominates all things portable and has some of the most successful portables in the history of gaming, so for now ignore the knives edge comment, but I'm not removing it.

This isn't about Nintendo's current economical standing, but if we will see PC versions of our favorite titles. It is well known that Nintendo dominates all things portable and has some of the most successful portables in the history of gaming, so for now ignore the knives edge comment, but I'm not removing it.

I'd love to see some Nintendo games on the PC, but I doubt it will ever happen. Nintendo has no interest in any platforms but their own. They want absolute control and that is something they can't have on the PC.

if someone's having trouble making money, it's not nintendo I assure you. there's no need for official pc software anyway tbh, when every one of their platforms have been emulated so well. their games actually play better on pc through dolphin and blutooth reciever, because of the higher res and customising options. so just buy a wii and chuck out the shitty low res console, then keep the dvds and wiimotes for your htpc to make a high powered nintendo console.

If they were to ever stop making their own hardware they might. If you asked people about Sonic on a Nintendo machine in the 90's you'd have been laughed at.
A whole lot can change in a short period of time. Depending on what direction PC's take (tablets?) and what direction the console industry takes, I don't think it's THAT crazy.
If you're talking about the very near future (ie. Mario Galaxy on Core i7/GTX570) then absolutely not. If you're thinking down the road in 7+ years I'd go with "maybe."
I actually think PC's will likely standardize a lot more in the near future, and I think that would likely be what Nintendo wants. They're all about the experience and consistency.

No, we will never see it. Nintendo is a hardware company and a software company. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo actually sells their hardware at a profit. If they ported their titles to other platforms, they'd kill off their hardware market.

Furthermore Nintendo caters heavily to the Asian market. PC gaming in Japan consists of dating simulators and pervert games, with the odd arcade shooter ported in. It's not a serious gaming platform at all.

Pushing titles to the PC would be pretty daft of them on several levels.

Yup emulation aka Project64 is pretty much the only way to make N64 goodness happen on a PC.

It's even better if you're lucky enough to have an Adaptoid to hook up an original N64 controller via usb.

But the sun wil burn out in the sky to a cold blackened husk before Nintendo ports the N64 to PC.

I'm more interested in when we'll see some original Nintendo first party games instead of Mario 245, Pokemon 73 and Zelda 312, no exaggeration there.

Nintendo and PC gaming crowd is totally different.
But I would like to see some Crossfire benchmark with Mario Kart...

Last edited:
Yup emulation aka Project64 is pretty much the only way to make N64 goodness happen on a PC.

It's even better if you're lucky enough to have an Adaptoid to hook up an original N64 controller via usb.

But the sun wil burn out in the sky to a cold blackened husk before Nintendo ports the N64 to PC.

I think Gamecube is getting there, but it's weird how these niches move. PCSX2 is moving towards alpha and yet all the DC emu's are still in flux. I'm beginning to think we'll see GC fully emu'd before DC :(

Emulation is the only way to play Nintendo games on a pc. And since pirated ROM's are often involved Nintendo will never like them.

As other people stated, no. I wouldn't say never, but in the foreseeable future, there's no chance.

Even if they weren't a hardware company, they're still a Japanese company. And more Japanese PC companies have been giving up on the PC completely only to become pure console companies (e.g. Falcom). The West just doesn't really matter to them.

As other people stated, no. I wouldn't say never, but in the foreseeable future, there's no chance.

Even if they weren't a hardware company, they're still a Japanese company. And more Japanese PC companies have been giving up on the PC completely only to become pure console companies (e.g. Falcom). The West just doesn't really matter to them.

Well it shouldn't. America as a game market isn't as important as Europe, and emerging games markets are starting to slaughter the US as well. Developing for PC is one of the stupidest things companies can do now other than a rare few titles and genres (see MMO's and RTS games), it's just suicide. Toss in laptops and tablets eating the high end desktop market alive because desktops make about as much sense for most a type writer now and there is a problem.

I don't see Nintendo jumping on a tablet, they could make their own.

Developing for high end desktops is just a brain dead business decision now in general, and catering to western tastes is an even dumber one. Nintendo has it's own market and it doesn't involve those problem areas.

I think Gamecube is getting there, but it's weird how these niches move. PCSX2 is moving towards alpha and yet all the DC emu's are still in flux. I'm beginning to think we'll see GC fully emu'd before DC

I'm not going to get into this here in much detail because I don't want to violate TOS and talk that much about quasi legal things, but you are going about this all the wrong way. The Dreamcast uses the same hardware (just less RAM) as an Atomiswave or Naomi, both are fully emulated and support online network support and the vast majority of the ROMS are dumped. They use the GGPO netcode which was cooked up by guys on SRK and clobbers any consoles netcode, it works, and it works pretty damn well for the most part. It's not arcade perfect, but odds are you won't be able to notice.

There isn't much reason to emulate the DC, for what? Virtually all the items people want are Naomi based anyways.

In theory any emulator that will run Atomiswave or Naomi is going to run DC games, Naomi is just a DC with double the memory.

You can shoot me a PM if you want, I'm not sure where the line is drawn about this sort of thing here. Though I'll add this, I own a ton of Atomiswave and Naomi arcade hardware. I wouldn't trust it enough to count a match or it or play in an event that uses it, but it is used along with preprogramed inputs and scripts to test the engines of the various games as to how and where to break their limits for combos and other items before people try the physical inputs.

There's only one modern arcade based system that hasn't been cracked, CPS3, which royally sucks because I've blown through about 5 grand worth of CPS3 Street Fighter 3 Third Strikes suiciding on me over the years.

You can play Wii/GameCube games upscaled to 1080p on the PC using Dolphin Emulator.

Super Smash Bros Brawl looks amazing at 1080p on my 37" LCD :p

Why would you want nintendo games!? It would just be Mario/zelda/whoever SLI edition.

Furthermore Nintendo caters heavily to the Asian market. PC gaming in Japan consists of dating simulators and pervert games, with the odd arcade shooter ported in. It's not a serious gaming platform at all.

Really? Or are those the ones that get more attention in western media? The eroge style games are mainly by small independant developers, so they are more numerous. But, those kind of games are not mainstream media. They get more exposure because, well, comic loving people/trekkies in the west (who make up 95% of the population) like that kind of thing apparently, its not something the average person goes home and plays. Lost planet 2 and super street fighter IV are both Japanese games that were released for the PC, but, like in the west, consoles make more money. The majority of US released PC games are also released in Japan. :p

And that's a bad thing because? I'd rather have them over games like Call of Duty.

Call of duty raises exactly why. PC gaming doesn't exactly need more stale franchises with endless samey sequels. It's not like there are no other options :p

Call of duty raises exactly why. PC gaming doesn't exactly need more stale franchises with endless samey sequels. It's not like there are no other options :p

Nintendo franchises aren't stale yet. Shockingly Nintendo seems to make them still fun, interesting, and worth playing after so many years of them being made. Well Zelda Twilight Princess aside that one kind of felt not as good as previous games. And I was using CoD as an example, I could use other franchises I don't like but I didn't want to ruffle feathers.

No thanks, we have enough shitty Xbox360/PS3 ports on PC and Nintendo Wii's games ported to PC is going to make it worse.

^oops so much for not getting cracked :p

anyways I like Nintendo games on Nintendo systems and the nice thing about the Wii is you can play NES/SNES games along with other system games from the past.... $150 for a Wii with mario cart is a great value. It won't be long before Wii makes it to the magical $99 price point....

There's been plenty of Nintendo games officially released on the PC. Just none in the past 15 years or so...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Several Mario ones, mostly educational type stuff.

This is a waste of a thread filled with misinformation...
knifes edge my ass...

but to answer your question...

NO!

You can play Wii/GameCube games upscaled to 1080p on the PC using Dolphin Emulator.

Super Smash Bros Brawl looks amazing at 1080p on my 37" LCD :p

Dolphin FTW. Nintendo is probably the easiest emulated platform and always will be. Yet it is still the best selling console and handheld on the market kinda ironic lol...

Dolphin FTW. Nintendo is probably the easiest emulated platform and always will be. Yet it is still the best selling console and handheld on the market kinda ironic lol...

Kind of destroys some popular myths, doesn't it?

Back