Will we ever see Nintendo games officially ported or developed for PC?

You can play Wii/GameCube games upscaled to 1080p on the PC using Dolphin Emulator.

Super Smash Bros Brawl looks amazing at 1080p on my 37" LCD :p

Dolphin can also render the games at any resolution you want, not just upscale.

I would so buy every metroid/super mario/star fox games if they did. I haven't touched a nintendo product since Super NES.

But I don't see this happening. They always stick to their platform.

If Nintendo stopped producing hardware, then yea I could see them releasing games on other platforms. I don't think we'll see that for some time unless they hit some snags down the road.

I still think that the whole industry might change a lot more than people realize in a short period of time. We're seeing PC's acting more and more like dumb terminals and we're seeing a rise in smaller devices that aren't THAT far from outright replacing a desktop. Phones are more powerful that PC's were less than a decade ago.
Again, you're never going to see Nintendo games for what you think of as a PC right now...but in 10 years things could be VERY different.

Dolphin can also render the games at any resolution you want, not just upscale.

Since the games are only rendered at 480p, any method that you use to achieve resolutions above that is technically upscaling. Your PC might do a slightly better job than the average TV, but that doesn't change what's happening.

Since the games are only rendered at 480p, any method that you use to achieve resolutions above that is technically upscaling. Your PC might do a slightly better job than the average TV, but that doesn't change what's happening.

Then you're calling the dolphin developers liars. Get on the irc channel and ask any one of them. Dolphin allows you to adjust the internal resolution of the embedded frame buffer to whatever you want. This causes the image to be rendered at a much higher resolution. It's all part of the efb emulation. In fact they are currently doing a rewrite of the texture cache just so that this feature can be used in combination with efb ram copy emulation (currently it can not since the pixels in the ram copy are addressed by pointers).

Many other emulators also do this. Many project64 video plugins support rendering at higher than native resolution, and it rarely causes any problems. On both dolphin and pj64 I'de have to say less than 1 in 100 games has any issues with it. If the game "tells" the emulator to draw a 640 x 480 image nothing stops you from having the emulator draw a 1280 x 960 image instead.

Dolphin also supports a host of other graphics enhancements not available on the actually wii such as anisotropic filtering, SSAA, MSAA, per-pixel lighting, etc.

So please do not say such things based on assumptions, make sure you know for sure first.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what they're calling it! The content is only delivered at 576i maximum (which is a PAL/SECAM resolution). Anything that they do to it is stretching it beyond it's native resolution, AKA upscaling. There's no way that they can change the fact that the content on the Wii's game discs is only delivered at 576i. They can change the size that it's delivered at, but they are still upscaling the original content from 576i, which is the maximum resolution Wii games are delivered at.

Last edited:
God you're stubborn. The emulator can run the program any way it wants. It can make the game do things it wouldn't do on the actual hardware. The "content" (geometry, textures) can be rendered at any resolution, as a PC gamer you should know that. Go talk to them yourself:

Network: efnet
Channel: #dolphin-emu

I'll be watching in silence so I can watch these programmers laugh at you.

Here's a web client in case you don't normally use IRC: http://chat.efnet.org/

You obviously aren't reading my posts fully and comprehending the impossibility of what you claim they say the are doing. The games are only delivered at 576i. You cannot magically extract some higher resolution version of the game just because you are emulating it on a PC. If they change the resolution to a higher size in any way, the ABSOLUTELY HAVE to upscale the content.

You really don't even know what you're talking about. They call it scaling themselves. Here's a quote from their google code page:

[url=http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=5639]Google Code Dolphin-emu[/url] said:
added ssaa and efb scale as separate configurations:
efb scale :
auto fractional: the original scaling way, will grant a 1:1 pixel mapping
between efb and screen giving the best image quality even in non standard
resolutions
at the cost of glitches in some games.
auto integral: automatic but only int values for the scale, no glitches but only
the correct pixel scaling when using some resolutions.
the rest are the fixed scales.
enjoy.

*facepalm*

Wow, just wow. The efb scale scales the efb dimensions. Look at the code yourself if you don't believe me.

I went ahead and pointed this thread out to the devs on IRC. At least you were able to bring some amusement to them and brighten everyone's day. Thank you. Your ignorance has made programmers everywhere smile and feel better about themselves.

The content as you're calling it doesn't exist. The game disc contains textures of varying resolutions and models. An upscaling TV will stretch the image. The emulator increases the internal resolution used to render the image. These things are very different.

If Nintendo stopped producing hardware, then yea I could see them releasing games on other platforms. I don't think we'll see that for some time unless they hit some snags down the road.

I don't see how that would ever happen. Nintendo makes a killing on hardware and they sell the kind of hardware that their core audience really likes. People on this forum may groan about the Wii, but it sold like gang-busters and is vastly popular in Japan.

What platform would they sell on? PC, it's not for playing games other than rape simulators in large portions of their market. Xbox, it's American. A Sony console, that's the only one that's remotely possible so far. And given the situations of the two companies, I think Sony is more likely to die.

It appears that CPS3 encryption was cracked in 2007.

Interesting, but since they are still unable to fix CPS3 security carts that does me no good.

God you're stubborn. The emulator can run the program any way it wants. It can make the game do things it wouldn't do on the actual hardware. The "content" (geometry, textures) can be rendered at any resolution, as a PC gamer you should know that. Go talk to them yourself:

Network: efnet
Channel: #dolphin-emu

I'll be watching in silence so I can watch these programmers laugh at you.

Here's a web client in case you don't normally use IRC: http://chat.efnet.org/

This guy is right, no point in arguing with him unless you have evidence to suggest or prove that your right.

I'd much rather see Sony start publishing games on the PC like Killzone and Uncharted than Nintendo's 500 Mario games and its other kiddy rehash garbage.

This isn't about Nintendo's current economical standing, but if we will see PC versions of our favorite titles. It is well known that Nintendo dominates all things portable and has some of the most successful portables in the history of gaming, so for now ignore the knives edge comment, but I'm not removing it.

That answer no matter what will be NO. Even if Nintendo where on the brink of doom they would not start porting to the PC.

Nintendo is in the business of selling consoles. Exclusives sell consoles.

Back